ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Preseason Ranking ??????

If any one player can elevate a team by herself, it's an elite point guard -- and that's McDonald. I'm sure Pico will have some young talent around her, and the returners are solid, though not spectacular.

Reactions: regereg
I think Russell has done a very good job at SHC, but I think they will take a step back this year. Still Top 20 for sure, but probably in the bottom half.

That a get ranking but I seen the Cagers play this some didnt impressive me that much. They will be a top 20 team though this year. I also seen Salesian play with their without pg and was handle by a small team. But they will end up in the top 20 this year. Vanden looks good with the 2 guards that are tough and quick. But I like your ranking!!

Last edited:
I think Russell has done a very good job at SHC, but I think they will take a step back this year. Still Top 20 for sure, but probably in the bottom half.

I think Russell does a great job...and he will have some nice young talent coming thru...Lots of underclassmen moving up to varsity at SHC, mostly Sophs to build on. They can be the bay area team that is equivalent to St. Mary's one day.

Yes Russell does a great job with SHC but it will be a little rougher this year. He always had Coleman for clutch time that a big lose. The question this can Thomas pick up where Coleman left off. Yes Thomas score a lot last year because teams was double teaming Coleman. She is a big lost for SHC because first year Varsity player coming from JV team have to put up numbers like Thomas did behind Coleman. But they will be good but ranked at the end of the year around 15 to 20. I gave the a early high ranking just because that's what everybody does going on name of school only.

Yes Russell does a great job with SHC but it will be a little rougher this year. He always had Coleman for clutch time that a big lose. The question this can Thomas pick up where Coleman left off. Yes Thomas score a lot last year because teams was double teaming Coleman. She is a big lost for SHC because first year Varsity player coming from JV team have to put up numbers like Thomas did behind Coleman. But they will be good but ranked at the end of the year around 15 to 20. I gave the a early high ranking just because that's what everybody does going on name of school only.

They have at least 2 other girls 6'0 feet are taller. They may not be Coleman but if the guards' are fast and the bigs play defense that should keep them in the top ten.

I think any girl over 6' should play Var as a freshman unless it's their first year playing basketball all together. So you saying SHC have 6' over then they are still in the developmental stages in the game speed if the aren't on Var. It takes most girls a year to learn the speed of the game unless their are a superstar. With that saying 6' doesn't automatic make a player a difference maker.

I'm still shocked at the lack of consideration for Berkeley! They return 10 Varsity players from last season and have a new coach leading the way. I guess things will come to the light soon as the play in the Amador Valley Tournament where they could face Oakridge and then play Salesian in mid December.

I think people have less for Berkeley because of the guaduation of the PG that was the pace and energy of the team. When some else set up and play with that same energy as her then yes they will think aboit them in the top 10 but until 11-20!!!

I have no problem with that evaluation J brought a lot to the table but they were getting no love which was strange to me at least.

Her mouth on the court sometimes would get her in trouble but it all part of the game. No one complain about GP did in high night in night out. The Glove was one of the best player that came out of the Bay. He talk during rhe game his whole career.

Most schedules are up. SMS has a rough all year except some games. Does anyone else have a rough schedule. Brookside also have rough one through Dec.

MM has a nice schedule too. Anyone else have a nice schedule where have at least 7 hard games against ranked teams????????

Cardinal Newman plays in the 2nd best level at the WCJ ...so I assume 3 ranked teams there....PLUS in the CN tourney they could potentially play SHC, Oregon city, Regis Jesuit (Colo) and Piedmont in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. They also play West campus, Clovis west and SI in singles. Their NBL league games will give them no competition. They went 16-0 and won by an avg. of 38 pts./game last year and I expect pretty much the same this year. So not a "monster" schedule...but not bad.
*** they also have their foundation game vs. Miramonte.

Teams can't control their league schedules, so I give credit for the non-league opponents -- and that's pretty darn good for Cardinal Newman.

Thats nice schedule northbay. Brookside play in the Clovis West Nike tournament which has SMS, Hanford, Oak Ridge and teams from Bakersfield. Then they have Mitty, SI, SHC, SMB, MM, and then too WCJ Platinum division. After the rough Dec. In Jan. They have Pinewood, and BOD. If thats no rough i dont know what is ???????

And I think we've just about finalized the WCJ brackets, so I feel safe in saying Brookside's first round game in the WCJ will be against Long Beach Poly.

Clay my two favorite teams in the state playing each other!!!!
What time do they play ...can you make it the 1230 or 2PM game

Thats nice schedule northbay. Brookside play in the Clovis West Nike tournament which has SMS, Hanford, Oak Ridge and teams from Bakersfield. Then they have Mitty, SI, SHC, SMB, MM, and then too WCJ Platinum division. After the rough Dec. In Jan. They have Pinewood, and BOD. If thats no rough i dont know what is ???????

ouch.....That is a rough schedule....

Pico and the crew definitely aren't dodging anybody......props

SMB plays, Brookside, Miramonte, SM Stockton, BOD, Salesian twice, West Coast Jamboree, and South Medford.

SMB plays, Brookside, Miramonte, SM Stockton, BOD, Salesian twice, West Coast Jamboree, and South Medford.

NinoBrown it looks like most of the stronger teams is preparing for the big stage !?! The OPEN division and it's only one way to accomplish that play the best teams go to the best tournaments ??? That's a very strong schedule for SMB

Last edited:
Looks like Brookside has a chance to play 4 out of the 5 Fab in Ca. The first tournament SMS which is #1, then MM which is #4 and then WCJ which LBP is #2 and Bre Olinda #5 is in. Dam thats rough! !!!!

Wonder if fact that Open is here to stay (despite numerous alternative universe proposals on this board) means that likely participants realize that they need to upgrade their non-league opposition to be ready…notably, MM has toughened up its schedule over the last few years.
goodbye 30-2!

There's also another reason to toughen up the schedule: If you lose to those elite teams, you don't belong in the Open, and those losses will guarantee you don't get placed there.

I still think that eventually each Section will have its own Open Division, like CCS, and the top two teams in that playoff will move on to the NorCal Open.

And the Poly-Brookside matchup is tentatively scheduled for 8 p.m., Dec. 28.

8PM....means 9:15PM based on previous experience..

change it to 1230 or 2 and Stockton shows up!!!!

There's also another reason to toughen up the schedule: If you lose to those elite teams, you don't belong in the Open, and those losses will guarantee you don't get placed there.

I still think that eventually each Section will have its own Open Division, like CCS, and the top two teams in that playoff will move on to the NorCal Open.

And the Poly-Brookside matchup is tentatively scheduled for 8 p.m., Dec. 28.

Clay..

I would also like to see each sections have their own open section championship like the CCS does.

So CCS, SJS and NCS would get 2 teams each...what about the other 2 teams?
At large for next best 2? Any section? Any team? thoughts?

That sound like a good idea but i think only the top 16 in each section so it wouldn't be so water down. Only first and second team should go to the Open Norcal. Each of the other team should be automatic beth in their division. This would help some teams that get put in the that dont have a chance have a chance to win the division State Championship. But as we know think that make since usually dont happen in the CIF because all of the politics that always going on!!!!!!

8PM....means 9:15PM based on previous experience..

change it to 1230 or 2 and Stockton shows up!!!!

Unfortunately, people work, and that's a Monday. Experience shows that we draw better at night ... even late at night.

Who esle was in the scrimmage with Salesian? ???? And was there any other scrimmages anyone else knows about??????

I heard through the grapevine as well that Acalanes had a good night at the Berkeley scrimmage as well. They more than held their own.

Nice good job.
On another note anyone want to guess the rankings before they go ip in a few days????????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT