ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Preseason NorCal Top Teams

ArmchairGOAT

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2019
We’re about a week away from the first day of practice for winter sports. Lots of players have been improving their game over the past Spring/Summer and there’s been a lot of movement of players and promising freshman. WIth that said, who are the top NorCal teams heading into the season including teams that are not the usual suspects but should make a splash this year? Breakout players?
Here goes my top teams in no particular order:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Monterey Trail
  • Clovis North
  • Grant
  • Sheldon
  • Dublin
  • Campo
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • Vanden
  • Oakland
  • Dougherty Valley
  • Salesian
  • Bishop O’Dowd
  • Inderkum
  • Granada
  • Oakland Tech
  • Jesuit
  • Moreau
  • DeLaSalle
  • Branson
  • Capital Christian
  • Weston Ranch

Yup. Don’t sleep on Folsom. They check a lot of boxes and return some good young players. This team made a deep run last year in norcal and played MC very tough.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
We’re about a week away from the first day of practice for winter sports. Lots of players have been improving their game over the past Spring/Summer and there’s been a lot of movement of players and promising freshman. WIth that said, who are the top NorCal teams heading into the season including teams that are not the usual suspects but should make a splash this year? Breakout players?
Here goes my top teams in no particular order:
  • Modesto Christian
  • Monterey Trail
  • Clovis North
  • Grant
  • Sheldon
  • Dublin
  • Campo
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • Vanden
  • Oakland
  • Dougherty Valley
  • Salesian
  • Bishop O’Dowd
  • Inderkum
  • Granada
  • Oakland Tech
  • Jesuit
  • Moreau
  • DeLaSalle
  • Branson
  • Capital Christian
  • Weston Ranch
Not sure why no one is mentioning Folsom (except heat). They will be a top 5 team in sac for sure.

Never discount Riordan's foreign student boarding program. You never know who might show up from overseas on (it will always be) Phelan Avenue.

Word has it that trend will continue with several promising freshmen and underclassmen now living on “Phelan Ave.”

Another one to watch out for is Ponderosa.

I just heard today while at the tourney at W. Jessup U that three of last year’s Folsom players transferred to Ponderosa, including the starter at point guard.

Another one to watch out for is Ponderosa.

I just heard today while at the tourney at W. Jessup U that three of last year’s Folsom players transferred to Ponderosa, including the starter at point guard.
Yes, and they have a 6”6 kid who had to sit out last year who is an absolute beast. Oak ridge transfer. (Max Manfredi) 2 of the Folsom transfer kids are what I would call solid role players. The PG Joaquin is very good however. Pondo is very well coached and gets after you for 32 min. They will be strong again.

Redwood HS in Larkspur should also be good this year. They return a lot of talent from their MCAL championship team last year. However, it's likely not enough to take down Branson as the MCAL favorite. Branson is loaded - top 10 in Norcal loaded no matter what division.

Bringing in talent is one thing. Keeping them is another. The trend includes Prolific pilfering the Crusaders.
Any HS is fair game to the prep academies. Look at Hollins bouncing from SHC a few years ago. Based on some of the comments from the recent border league, Prolific wasn't even in the top division. I still believe if you are good, colleges will find you. Either way, with the core returning from last year's NorCal Open Final 4 participant and CCS Open Champion, Riordan should be strong again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Bringing in talent is one thing. Keeping them is another. The trend includes Prolific pilfering the Crusaders.
PP didn’t even get invited to the top division at the border league. They were barely squeaking by regular high schools. They better go steal some more players from so where.

Any HS is fair game to the prep academies. Look at Hollins bouncing from SHC a few years ago. Based on some of the comments from the recent border league, Prolific wasn't even in the top division. I still believe if you are good, colleges will find you. Either way, with the core returning from last year's NorCal Open Final 4 participant and CCS Open Champion, Riordan should be strong again.
I tend to compartmentalize my feelings about the players that we had. Hollins for example, man i cannot forget what an offensive talent that kid was. Need I say more than "50 piece"? Did he leave and it stung a little, sure. But I just leave it at that even though some unfortunate things happened at Oregon State. That being said it would be nice if the city had a super team that stuck together. Riordan had one on paper with Bryce, Jelani, Rob, Riiny, and Mor.

I see little to no value in the prep school route for the majority of can’t miss prospects. Does nothing. These kids are playing in the same AAU circuit and have all the best resources available. You going to tell me Peja kid needed a prep school? Please. Lots of bad people in this world. Ends bad for so many.

Reactions: jordan24
I tend to compartmentalize my feelings about the players that we had. Hollins for example, man i cannot forget what an offensive talent that kid was. Need I say more than "50 piece"? Did he leave and it stung a little, sure. But I just leave it at that even though some unfortunate things happened at Oregon State. That being said it would be nice if the city had a super team that stuck together. Riordan had one on paper with Bryce, Jelani, Rob, Riiny, and Mor.
Imagine even last season’s Riordan team - they would have had Mor, Zion Sensley to go along with King, Jasir Rencher, Chala and Marcellus Edwards with a deep bench of Wise, Pusateri, Pasinissi, Woodson and Bundage.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Imagine even last season’s Riordan team - they would have had Mor, Zion Sensley to go along with King, Jasir Rencher, Chala and Marcellus Edwards with a deep bench of Wise, Pusateri, Pasinissi, Woodson and Bundage.
That’s a state champ open caliber team

I see little to no value in the prep school route for the majority of can’t miss prospects. Does nothing. These kids are playing in the same AAU circuit and have all the best resources available. You going to tell me Peja kid needed a prep school? Please. Lots of bad people in this world. Ends bad for so many.
good thing you will never have to worry about it. the players at pp get to travel and play and practice versus elite talent daily. i know you love gridley but not everyone wants to play there when you can play on espn all over the country

Larry let’s look at it this way. Name one player pre Prolific that went pro from the Bay Area that attended prep school, especially the ones that went to Findlay. I don’t recall any. I agree with you 100 percent. The margin of making it is so small, hey Lillard and Gordon have signed some fat contracts. You know I got drop a list of many that didn’t go nor had to go prep and made it big over the last several years

Larry let’s look at it this way. Name one player pre Prolific that went pro from the Bay Area that attended prep school, especially the ones that went to Findlay. I don’t recall any. I agree with you 100 percent. The margin of making it is so small, hey Lillard and Gordon have signed some fat contracts. You know I got drop a list of many that didn’t go nor had to go prep and made it big over the last several years
Totally agree. To each their own, but I don’t see the real value for the 4-5 star guys. Everybody knows you ! Maybe if you are a tweener it makes sense and I don’t mind a kid like callas from campo who went prep school for 1 year to land d1 at USD. Those are smart moves.
Oh well. We like to think their is always something better as Americans. Somebody can always be sold on the next best thing/way.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Totally agree. To each their own, but I don’t see the real value for the 4-5 star guys. Everybody knows you ! Maybe if you are a tweener it makes sense and I don’t mind a kid like callas from campo who went prep school for 1 year to land d1 at USD. Those are smart moves.
Oh well. We like to think their is always something better as Americans. Somebody can always be sold on the next best thing/way.
Dominic Artis and Jabari Brown are 2 that transferred from Salesian to Findlay Prep, and went pro

Is Findlay even around anymore?
Findlay prep! Hahha. What a joke .used car hs.
Artis went pro? Where? Don’t say polish league.
Also these guys played at Salesian and Brown came back to Oak high. They certainly didn’t need prep school.

I wasn't happy when that kid left to go to Walnut Creek to finish his senior season and when EJ Neal left too either...both good players along with Monroe of course, I suppose that is how SI feels about King as well. They were all above average in high school.

Redwood HS in Larkspur should also be good this year. They return a lot of talent from their MCAL championship team last year. However, it's likely not enough to take down Branson as the MCAL favorite. Branson is loaded - top 10 in Norcal loaded no matter what division.

Redwood joined the Edison Classic this year. Loaded field with Central-Fresno, Edison, Inderkum, Folsom, Grant, Sheldon, and San Leandro Dec 8-10th.

Also these guys played at Salesian and Brown came back to Oak high. They certainly didn’t need prep school.
polish league is still pro. the hate for people is amazing

I hadn’t heard his name since all that went down up in Eugene. Sounds like he eventually picked up the pieces and is still playing. Good for him.

Artis plays in the top tier French league

My post is about the value prep schools offer elite players which I stated is not much. But some parents and all the other “get rich” folks will continue to peddle kids that way.

I wasn't happy when that kid left to go to Walnut Creek to finish his senior season and when EJ Neal left too either...both good players along with Monroe of course, I suppose that is how SI feels about King as well. They were all above average in high school.
I'll enlighten you on this matter. But I'll ask you this first ---- if you live in Walnut Creek, is it a burden to go all the way for high school to the city? You answer is likely yes, especially if you have a dysfunctional team made up with some of the worst players/families ever assembled who got our one head coach that brought 3 state title appearances and 1 state title to the school fired. His "move" was not a move. It was a staying put at home. His family lives in Walnut Creek and he lead his team to a state final appearance his senior year.

EJ's move was a family decision to be closer to his mother. It was not a basketball decision.

You're channeling your feelings in a real selfish manner without knowing the real. Kids come and go and for real reasons not because of they hate SH. Hopefully you can accept that and just BE HAPPY with what we got, not BE UNHAPPY with what we dont have.

Redwood joined the Edison Classic this year. Loaded field with Central-Fresno, Edison, Inderkum, Folsom, Grant, Sheldon, and San Leandro Dec 8-10th.
Nice, that will be a really good test for Redwood. Branson is in the Gridley event again this year too.

My post is about the value prep schools offer elite players which I stated is not much. But some parents and all the other “get rich” folks will continue to peddle kids that way.
Agree, it's also a business for the prep schools, of course. They make money off of this obviously, individuals likely have bonuses tied to it, etc. And for some parents, it's a bragging rights thing more than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT