ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Preseason NorCal Top Teams

Redwood joined the Edison Classic this year. Loaded field with Central-Fresno, Edison, Inderkum, Folsom, Grant, Sheldon, and San Leandro Dec 8-10th.
Edison travels to San Francisco Dec 20th to face RIordan at the Crusader Forum. I do not recall if these teams have ever faced off? Should be a good game! Weston Ranch goes up against Riordan at the NorCal Tip-off. Great to see out of Section teams playing each other.

Last edited:
I'll enlighten you on this matter. But I'll ask you this first ---- if you live in Walnut Creek, is it a burden to go all the way for high school to the city? You answer is likely yes, especially if you have a dysfunctional team made up with some of the worst players/families ever assembled who got our one head coach that brought 3 state title appearances and 1 state title to the school fired. His "move" was not a move. It was a staying put at home. His family lives in Walnut Creek and he lead his team to a state final appearance his senior year.

EJ's move was a family decision to be closer to his mother. It was not a basketball decision.

You're channeling your feelings in a real selfish manner without knowing the real. Kids come and go and for real reasons not because of they hate SH. Hopefully you can accept that and just BE HAPPY with what we got, not BE UNHAPPY with what we dont have.
My point is the school did something right and got kids to come here for basketball even from Walnut Creek, etc....They gradually continued to do everything wrong year after year after firing the coach and hemorrhaged everybody that was left. Not taking it out on the kids or thinking selfishly but SHC basketball has not been great since Barbour left and I would say McKay did ok too without any dynamite stars. Hopefully, Smith and company can improve and turn the corner to attract more talent again because Riordan and SI have been and Im saying that in no disrespect to the kids playing currently at SHC for basketball. Can you tell me why the school got rid of Barbour or what really happened because he was a championship coach? Was it really just disgruntled parents, smh?

My point is the school did something right and got kids to come here for basketball even from Walnut Creek, etc....They gradually continued to do everything wrong year after year after firing the coach and hemorrhaged everybody that was left. Not taking it out on the kids or thinking selfishly but SHC basketball has not been great since Barbour left and I would say McKay did ok too without any dynamite stars. Hopefully, Smith and company can improve and turn the corner to attract more talent again because Riordan and SI have been and Im saying that in no disrespect to the kids playing currently at SHC for basketball. Can you tell me why the school got rid of Barbour or what really happened because he was a championship coach? Was it really just disgruntled parents, smh?
Coach Bryan Thomasson comes over from RIordan’s JVs to be the Irish JV coach. He runs the SF Soldiers (SFWorkHardPlayHard) program. He’s a very good coach/mentor and his kids have gone on to all the SF Schools and around the Bay…Sorry to see him leave.

Coach Bryan Thomasson comes over from RIordan’s JVs to be the Irish JV coach. He runs the SF Soldiers (SFWorkHardPlayHard) program. He’s a very good coach/mentor and his kids have gone on to all the SF Schools and around the Bay…Sorry to see him leave.
is he related to Bob the former college coach?

MacKay did ok????? He freakin' coached a team to a CCS Open title!!!!!!!!! not D3...... not D1......
OPEN!!!!
No Im not spilling any tea on Barbour. Just know there are parallels to why football has been trending up since 2017 and soon boys basketball... Might be tougher for the girls to recapture their magic from 1997 - 2019.

MacKay did ok????? He freakin' coached a team to a CCS Open title!!!!!!!!! not D3...... not D1......
OPEN!!!!
No Im not spilling any tea on Barbour. Just know there are parallels to why football has been trending up since 2017 and soon boys basketball... Might be tougher for the girls to recapture their magic from 1997 - 2019.
He did great with what he had to work with...No disagreement. Also, Russell was awesome, that was a loss for the program, hope it was his choice.

Preseason I would have:
Inderkum
Trail
Jesuit
Folsom
Sheldon

and Sheldon will only get better as they are a very young group.
Sheldon just added a very good 6-8 transfer so they might be the best team in sac. Although I believe it’s his third transfer so who knows his eligibility status.

Top Bay Area Teams: no particular order
Riordan
Mitty
Dublin
Dougherty Valley
Granada
Branson
Moreau
Salesian
Bishop O’Dowd
De la Salle
Campo

How does CVC with Allocco Jr. at the helm look for the year? They were a tough out last season for sure. And Northgate too.

DIdn’t CVC’s and Northgate’s best players graduate last year? Both are solid programs along with Miramonte.

CVC had nine seniors last year, but the three they have returning are quite good. Depends on what they can do to fill out that roster. I don't think I saw them at the summer events I went to, so I have no clue what they've got. JV's went 17-7, so maybe the cupboard isn't empty.

Northgate had seven seniors including like 95% of their scoring punch, and I figured they'd fall off the table really badly... But I did see them a couple times in the summer, and they still look like they could be a factor. JV's were not good last year, so maybe transfers or something?

Both teams are quite well-coached, and of course that makes a big difference.

Reactions: observer22
OPEN!!!!
Open and then what? sounds like the lakers bubble ring- 1 positive and whole lot of opposite. They had a hard time getting players to go there

Barbour was gone due to parents and SHC ADs took previous successes all for granted. They thought bringing someone new will continue the success while handling the parents. In reality, everything went downhill besides the 1 Open. They were spoiled by girls in 2000s, boys in 2010s, VB girls. If you guys are still talking about Barbour 10 years later, SHC definitely made a mistake....

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
One team nobody talking bout is SRV…,…think they’ll surprise a lot of teams. Returning 4 starters and adding a few players from a very good JV team from last year. EBAL is gonna be very competitive once again with Dublin, Dougherty Valley, DLS, Granada, and SRV.

Reactions: dcfan
One team nobody talking bout is SRV…,…think they’ll surprise a lot of teams. Returning 4 starters and adding a few players from a very good JV team from last year. EBAL is gonna be very competitive once again with Dublin, Dougherty Valley, DLS, Granada, and SRV.
Good call. They had some very talented youngsters with good size last year

The EBAL is going to be a dogfight, for sure. Probably the best league in the Bay Area, possibly best overall in NorCal.

What teams have the most significant returnees and/or call ups/transfers? Some teams that come to mind:
Modesto Christian
Dublin
Branson
Dougherty Valley
San Ramon Valley
Mitty
Salesian
Oakland
Riordan
University
Granada
Moreau
Vanden

Open and then what? sounds like the lakers bubble ring- 1 positive and whole lot of opposite. They had a hard time getting players to go there

Barbour was gone due to parents and SHC ADs took previous successes all for granted. They thought bringing someone new will continue the success while handling the parents. In reality, everything went downhill besides the 1 Open. They were spoiled by girls in 2000s, boys in 2010s, VB girls. If you guys are still talking about Barbour 10 years later, SHC definitely made a mistake....
Also...Barbour went on to coach at Mt. Eden with less than stellar results so yes SHC ADs should and deserve some of the blame...The last 5-10 years SHC basketball has reversed its spot with Valley Christian in the WCAL as a comparison to the standings. That is quite a fall. Hopefully, Caesar Smith, an SHC alumnus will get the program turned around and exciting again in the near future. He seems to be assembling a good coaching group as we continue.

The EBAL is going to be a dogfight, for sure. Probably the best league in the Bay Area, possibly best overall in NorCal.
The EBAL will be a dogfight for sure. On top of Dougherty, Dublin, De La, Granada & SRV, Cal High was improved and had no seniors last season and Monte Vista was young last season with a rare off year and will be much improved as well. Every night will be a grind!
I’m not sure who Foothill, AV or Livermore have got this season, but they’d better be ready once league starts.

Yeah, I saw Cal High at the Moreau summer event... They had two teams playing, both very solid. It'll be a tough job for their coach to decide who makes varsity, and whichever kids end up on JV will make a powerhouse squad.

Reactions: relittleton
EBAL appears to be the toughest league heading into 2022-23…
WCAL outlook looks to be:
Riordan
Mitty
SI
Serra
SHC
Bellarmine
St. Francis
Valley Christian

Mitty returns its best player, Princeton-bound Derek Sangster and all-WCAL guards Paran and Jones. They have height in 6-7 Ripp.

Along with 6 Riordan returnees including King-Njhsanni Wilhite and 6-6 players Christian Wise, Jasir Rencher and Isaiah Chala, the recent SBLive preseason write up has Riordan newcomers in 6-7 freshman Alex Kuminga (GSW’s Jonathan Kuminga’s kid brother) and his 6-6 junior wing cousin Nathan Tshamala. Also 6-3 jr pg Kaia Berridge and 6-3 freshman Andrew Young join the RIordan squad. Both Berridge and Young already have offers from UCSB! 6-10 Jr. Lolo Taaga ( Sheldon) also joins the Crusaders this season. Berridge played for the FIBA U16 New Zealand national team.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
EBAL appears to be the toughest league heading into 2022-23…
WCAL outlook looks to be:
Riordan
Mitty
SI
Serra
SHC
Bellarmine
St. Francis
Valley Christian

Mitty returns its best player, Princeton-bound Derek Sangster and all-WCAL guards Paran and Jones. They have height in 6-7 Ripp.

Along with 6 Riordan returnees including King-Njhsanni Wilhite and 6-6 players Christian Wise, Jasir Rencher and Isaiah Chala, the recent SBLive preseason write up has Riordan newcomers in 6-6 freshman Alex Kuminga (GSW’s Jonathan Kuminga’s kid brother) and his 6-6 junior wing cousin Nathan Tshamala. Also 6-3 jr pg Kaia Berridge and 6-3 freshman Alex Young join the RIordan squad. Both Berridge and Young already have offers from UCSB! Another tall junior also joins the Crusaders this season. Berridge played for the FIBA U16 New Zealand national team.
Be careful, you know Prolific Prep is lurking. They already took a open contending team from Riordan before.

Wow! Good seeing Jasir Rencher picking up 8 D1 offers - just a soph! Amazing how 2 players who haven’t even played here yet (and one’s a freshman!) have offers from UCSB. Would like to hear how the rest of the WCAL is shaping up for this season…
Bells have a new coach? Dallas Washington leaves St. Francis? Barnnabie still at VC?

Last edited:
Wow! Good seeing Jasir Rencher picking up 8 D1 offers - just a soph! Amazing how 2 players who haven’t even played here yet (and one’s a freshman!) have offers from UCSB. Would like to hear how the rest of the WCAL is shaping up for this season…
Bells have a new coach? Dallas Washington leaves St. Francis? Barnnabie still at VC?
I assure you not as nice as Riordan's squad...but man, looks fun for Riordan!.

That assumes outstanding coaching, preparation, focus and total dedication on the part of all involved.
They did dethrone Mitty in the CCS Open with a team without the PP transfers and went to OT the year before. I would say Coach Curtin did a good job in bringing this squad together to make it to the NorCal Open Final 4. How a CCS Open champ had to open on the road to De La Salle is another thing. Wow

I know a smaller school but doesn’t Justin Siena have a ton of kids back from a team that went to d4 state game? One to watch for smaller guys. Beat Rodriguez by 35 last night .

I know a smaller school but doesn’t Justin Siena have a ton of kids back from a team that went to d4 state game? One to watch for smaller guys. Beat Rodriguez by 35 last night .
But remember LL, the D4 state game isn’t near what it used to be. It just means they were placed below D3, and there were 48 better teams in D1-D2-D3 plus all the Open teams. There’s not much difference between being a low seed in D3 and a high seed in D4, except the D4 team was seeded lower and gets to go to a state game, whereas the D3 team that was deemed better became canon fodder for a high D3 team.

But remember LL, the D4 state game isn’t near what it used to be. It just means they were placed below D3, and there were 48 better teams in D1-D2-D3 plus all the Open teams. There’s not much difference between being a low seed in D3 and a high seed in D4, except the D4 team was seeded lower and gets to go to a state game, whereas the D3 team that was deemed better became canon fodder for a high D3 team.
Good points. But I would say this year they will beat plenty of d2-d3 teams.

A team that is not getting recognition is Justin Siena. I look for big things coming from them
Justin-Siena does have 11 returners from last year's team, including the entire starting 5. Remember, though, they were 5-7 in the VVAL, which is not one of the State's premier leagues. They benefited considerably from the competitive equity matrix last season. With that being said, they should be competitive this year. They open the De La Salle tournament next week with Santa Margarita, so we will have a better idea how good they are in a few weeks.

Justin-Siena does have 11 returners from last year's team, including the entire starting 5. Remember, though, they were 5-7 in the VVAL, which is not one of the State's premier leagues. They benefited considerably from the competitive equity matrix last season. With that being said, they should be competitive this year. They open the De La Salle tournament next week with Santa Margarita, so we will have a better idea how good they are in a few weeks.
I saw they made easy work of Rodriguez High School from Fairfield who typically is a playoff team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT