ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Commitments

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
A lot of guys have announced their decisions recently. If I missed anyone, feel free to add:

Derrick Claxton Inderkum (Cal Poly Pomona)
Jojo Murphy Piedmont (Chico State)
Sean Quanico St. Ignatius (George Fox)
Brady Cook Northgate (Cal Baptist)
Nick Medeiros St. Pats (Sonoma State)
Justin Yasukochi Campolindo (UC Santa Cruz)
Caden Breznikar Miramonte (UC Santa Cruz)
Austin Moore Modesto Christian (Pacific Union)
Troy Crighton Sheldon (William Jessup)

Reactions: ayalar09
In case it’s not obvious, you have to be a damn good player to play in college period. I mean Pomona and Chico are D2 heavy weights and a kid like Claxton is a d1 player who will flourish at that level. Murphy same thing.

Chico and Pomona would get absolutely destroyed if they played D1 teams.

Take the worst D1 team in America and they would beat Chico or Pomona by 20+ 9 out of 10 times!

• Haha
Reactions: HSWIZARD73

Take the worst D1 team in America and they would beat Chico or Pomona by 20+ 9 out of 10 times!
Honestly that is really ignorant statement. A few years ago Chico scared daylights out of Arizona before losing lead late in 2nd half. Not sac state or uop. We are talking UOA. Listen to what Sean Miller said after the game. Chico would beat plenty of d1 teams. If you don’t think the top d2 programs in the nation (who are filled with d1 players) can’t beat lower tier d1 teams you aren’t really smart. Peperdine got boat raced by Point Loma last year. Ran off the court.

A lot of guys have announced their decisions recently. If I missed anyone, feel free to add:

Brycen Shackelford Folsom (Chaminade)

I disagree. There are some d2 schools that eventually turn to division 1 schools for a reason. Uc San Diego, being the most recent that I recall. If you’re speaking as only; Chico and Pomona then I could agree with you there. But D2 is no joke, there are a ton of D1 bounce backs etc. You still have to know how to play,

Another thing about D2, D3, NAIA... There are LOTS more excellent high-school players than there used to be, making a much larger pool of quality talent than the D1's have room for.

This leaves some really terrific players finding their place in the lower divisions.

since when did chico become a power? what is a power anyway? how many national titles do they have in the last 20 years?
larry stay puttin on for them but i havent seen a title in the last 20 years.

and to a point ayalar made... i wouldnt say each D1 team would beat them, but most would

I think the biggest challenge right now for high school prospects is the transfer portal. Teams are looking for quick upgrades now with college experience which makes getting a D1 scholarship tougher. I think we'll start to see more kids that might have been mid to lower level D1 guys end up going to D2 programs. The silver lining here is the D2 basketball should continue to improve.

Reactions: m4success and MC415
since when did chico become a power? what is a power anyway? how many national titles do they have in the last 20 years?
larry stay puttin on for them but i havent seen a title in the last 20 years.

and to a point ayalar made... i wouldnt say each D1 team would beat them, but most would
Ayala said the worse team would beat them by 20 9 outta 10 times. Highly doubt that

Tyrone Butler Jr Fortune Early College (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) D1 bound! We are very proud of this guy. He is the first (wont be the last) athlete to receive a scholarship here at Fortune School.

I think the biggest challenge right now for high school prospects is the transfer portal. Teams are looking for quick upgrades now with college experience which makes getting a D1 scholarship tougher. I think we'll start to see more kids that might have been mid to lower level D1 guys end up going to D2 programs. The silver lining here is the D2 basketball should continue to improve.
Well summarized

Reactions: m4success
IUPUI was 1-26 last year. According to net rankings they are the worst. And they just got one of the best recent SF players to play on the team (Bryce Monroe).

I stand by my statement. If IUPUI played Chico st in a game that mattered…not a scrimmage or exhibition. They would win 9 out of 10 times.

IUPUI was 1-26 last year. According to net rankings they are the worst. And they just got one of the best recent SF players to play on the team (Bryce Monroe).

I stand by my statement. If IUPUI played Chico st in a game that mattered…not a scrimmage or exhibition. They would win 9 out of 10 times.
Most of your statements are straight doo doo so this would also fall in line with most of your other statements

Throw in the extra year of eligibility due to COVID and you’re not seeing as many high school signings. I follow UC Davis closely and they are getting 3 transfers ( including Robby Beasley) which is way out of character. Of course, they lost 5 (one starter, 2 low minute guys, 2 redshirts). Weird times

IUPUI was actually 3-26... Give 'em credit for those 2 wins, would ya? :) They did lose to some pretty awful teams in the process, though...

IUPUI

But I would guess that Chico would beat them more often than not, probably mostly pretty competitive games.

IUPUI was actually 3-26... Give 'em credit for those 2 wins, would ya? :) They did lose to some pretty awful teams in the process, though...

IUPUI

But I would guess that Chico would beat them more often than not, probably mostly pretty competitive games.
Hahahah. I will take Chico over that school with too many vowels. But doesn’t matter. One school dominates and wins at the level (d2) and the other is a practice game for d1 teams.

Well summarized
The current recruiting landscape is the most difficult and the most complex probably to date. I compare the current recruiting landscape to our current housing situation in many respects. A lot of players but not (enough) programs. I use the word (enough) very loosely, because there are a lot of programs at every level, but quality programs are another subject. The Portal and Covid are murderers. I’ve lost loved ones to Covid and I have two sons in College currently. It’s tough

Well just so you know a 4th place D3 team in their conference back east beat the second worst D1 team in the nation by 14. It happens way more often than you think. Check out Deleware State versus Salisbury University. And Salisbury was 10-12 overall. So great chance they could beat a few other bottom feeders. Might want to research these things bud.

Bryce Monroe has transferred again? There has to be a limit to this. I hope he needs to at least sit out a year this time. I guess he saw the writing on the wall. Heard Lavin is hitting the transfer portal hard for a quick fix at USD.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
As a USD alumni I’m pretty upset that Lavin decided Wayne Mckinnely was a fit but Bryce Monroe was not. I thought Bryce didn’t get a chance to showcase himself properly due to injury, but when he did play he showed more promise than the other guy. I wish him nothing but the best at IUPUI.

As for the argument. Yes and Academy of Art beat UC Davis……these are called exhibition games. And notice how I said 9 out of 10 times. In sports, especially basketball the other teams shot might not fall and yours does. Perfect example walk on kid at USD while I was there, Devin Ginty (Pride of Colfax High) went off against a ranked Kentucky team. I remember watching on Xmas and seeing this walk on rain 3’s on these 3-4 star prospects.

I’m all for the little guy. I mean I’m a Stuart Hall guy. But at the same time college D1 basketball is about the highest level of ball you’ll find. D2 and below can’t even compare….I will stick to that.

• Haha
Reactions: HSWIZARD73
As a USD alumni I’m pretty upset that Lavin decided Wayne Mckinnely was a fit but Bryce Monroe was not. I thought Bryce didn’t get a chance to showcase himself properly due to injury, but when he did play he showed more promise than the other guy. I wish him nothing but the best at IUPUI.

As for the argument. Yes and Academy of Art beat UC Davis……these are called exhibition games. And notice how I said 9 out of 10 times. In sports, especially basketball the other teams shot might not fall and yours does. Perfect example walk on kid at USD while I was there, Devin Ginty (Pride of Colfax High) went off against a ranked Kentucky team. I remember watching on Xmas and seeing this walk on rain 3’s on these 3-4 star prospects.

I’m all for the little guy. I mean I’m a Stuart Hall guy. But at the same time college D1 basketball is about the highest level of ball you’ll find. D2 and below can’t even compare….I will stick to that.
Since you watch a lot of high school basketball which I believe, this will give you some valuable insight

Couple of great links there, very informative stuff!

First thing I did in the top link was compare the rankings of IUPUI and Chico State. Chico is over 200 places above IUPUI. Further... While I didn't count 'em, it looks like Chico is ranked higher than a decent number of D1 teams, like maybe 10-15%. And the above-mentioned D2 powerhouse NW Missouri is another hundred slots higher than that on this list, better than almost half the D1 teams.

That is a great source; I didn't know an all-divisions ranking existed... Bookmarking this one for future use. :)

p.s. While bookmarking, I noted that the site also ranks high schools in 22 states... Unfortunately, California isn't one of them.

p.p.s. The Massey site is amazing... Along with all the rankings, they have plenty of miscellaneous fun stuff... I'm a nickname geek, and the site has a catalog of the nicknames for every sport in their database, high-school college, and pro... I can surf around all that kinda stuff for days...

Last edited:
Couple of great links there, very informative stuff!

First thing I did in the top link was compare the rankings of IUPUI and Chico State. Chico is over 200 places above IUPUI. Further... While I didn't count 'em, it looks like Chico is ranked higher than a decent number of D1 teams, like maybe 10-15%. And the above-mentioned D2 powerhouse NW Missouri is another hundred slots higher than that on this list, better than almost half the D1 teams.

That is a great source; I didn't know an all-divisions ranking existed... Bookmarking this one for future use. :)

p.s. While bookmarking, I noted that the site also ranks high schools in 22 states... Unfortunately, California isn't one of them.

p.p.s. The Massey site is amazing... Along with all the rankings, they have plenty of miscellaneous fun stuff... I'm a nickname geek, and the site has a catalog of the nicknames for every sport in their database, high-school college, and pro... I can surf around all that kinda stuff for days...
People on this site need to go watch a D2 game next year. Go watch Chico, Pomona, San Marcus, or San Bernardino if you can. You will be blown away on the quality. The top 5-10 Hs players in norcal each year are legit d1 players. (10 in a very good year) The Next 15-20 can play at the d2 Level. That’s about it.
Some of the best teams each year maybe have 1 or 2 kids who will play in college.
Good stuff. Thx for sharing .

Since you watch a lot of high school basketball which I believe, this will give you some valuable insight

ayalar wasnt saying d2 is a waste. i mean the best shooter in sf and a state champ isnt playing basketball in college so aya knows how hard it is to make it.
he was simply saying d2 is that and ultimately every kid dreams of playing d1 because that is the highest level. we all know any team can be beat on any night. hell even the greatest basketball team ever with the 3 greatest players ever and the greatest coach ever blew a 3-1 lead versus some rec center bums.
but the csu teams are sort of a bridesmaid.

Well calculated. Nice school too.
wait, so you not saying he should have went to that national power chico st ??!?!!!?!??!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait, so you not saying he should have went to that national power chico st ??!?!!!?!??!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol now youre just being a goon.

All jokes aside, congrats to the kid. Whether it's in hoop or anything else in life, it's hard not to be happy for anyone who reaches their personal goals.

trying to hard man. Not funny.
Good luck to the kid.

somewhat on the topic - wouldn't recent City College San Francisco teams give a lot of D2 teams if not D1 teams a decent run? not saying they would or wouldn't just throwing it out there. they have graduated a lot of athletes into D1 over the years most notably in football but more recently in BB as well.

Reactions: MC415
I think their hoops team of recent years would win a fair share of games in the lower D1 levels once their depth gets depleted that’s the problem

i am stating facts...... you always saying people should go to chico
I say kids that are on the border should look at high d2 as an option. And why wouldn’t you ? I’m not saying guys like peja kid or Phillips should. C’mon man. Be a little better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT