ADVERTISEMENT

All CIF State Title football games to be played in SoCal

Thunder, I’m not arguing that HS football and basketball aren’t about more than the kids, and that money and fan interest were driving factors to where we are today. I was merely disagreeing with your statement “ALL” sports are for fan interest/attendance..

Here is a list (off the top of my head) of High School sports - how can you tell me these sports are for the fans and attendance?

ZERO FAN INTEREST - only parents and grandparents watching
Water Polo, swim, tennis, wrestling, boys volleyball, cross country, track, softball, badminton (yes, that’s a high school sports mostly in the MEL and the Bay Area)

LIMITED FAN INTEREST - very small interest from the student body and a few die hards
baseball, girls volleyball, girls basketball

FAN INTEREST - Bring it on!
football, boys basketball

I’m sure I’m forgetting some sports, but all I was saying originally is that a majority of high school sports are for the kids - and I truly believe that.

now if you want to go down the “pay to play” road ( ie. travel ball, club sports, AAU, etc) - that’s a totally different animal.
I think this is a pretty good breakdown and speaks to past football/boys basketball coaches who resurface in coaching in the lower fan interest sports. A lot of them love the coaching but the time commitment/pressure can wear you down.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Love ya, Cal, but that’s utterly naive and false.

It may sound good to you, to say it’s for the students/athletes/schools, but if nobody is attending or watching the games, they wouldn’t exist. That’s precisely why games beyond Section didn’t exist until 2006 (State) and 2012 (Regional). They were implemented for $$$. Not for the reason(s) you are pushing.

All sports are driven by fan interest/attendance. The rare exceptions to that rule are either subsidized or don’t have the financial means to scale up their sport as HS football clearly has. Look at the prices on the tickets today (and for streaming). And they charge more for postseason and bowl games. That should be your first clue who these games are for. The second clue was expanding from 3 to 5 to 13 Regional and State games. It wasn’t for the kids, it was to create more fan interest/attendance and more total revenue for the CIF.
The expansion didn't take place until the teams that were getting left out complained about the lack of inclusion. Do you really think the CIF cashed in big time on Orland vs Shafter?

Is this latest move a means to try to monetize some of the lower divisions? Maybe, but it's also equal parts from the SoCal coaches crying about the muddy grass fields in NorCal. Still, the attendance for the lower games will not likely be higher in Torrance, Pasadena, and Mission Viejo vs the home sites, whether they are in NorCal or SoCal. Expanded tv rights? I don't know.

Also keep in mind that the state games were not universally desired by the sections. All of the NorCal sections had to override the Southern Section's "no" vote.

We can debate this aspect all day, if you'd like. But my point was that comments about how the lower division games might not matter or the games aren't special anymore lose sight of significance for those players, teams, and communities involved. Isn't that why we get together on this site in the first place? If someone is interested only with the elites, then maybe they should just hang out on the national board or stick with the NFL.

Imagine this:

You meet a teenage guy somewhere who appears to be really excited. You ask him why he's worked up and he says "I'm a running back for my football team and I rushed for 100 yards for the first time last night!" Would you really respond with "No big deal, kid. I've seen dozens of players have 100-yard games" or "Who was that against? Please, that team is weak"?

If one wouldn't crap on that kid, why would they crap on the San Gabriels, San Marins, or Hughsons that get their chances to shine?

Reactions: FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT