ADVERTISEMENT

Bay Area connections in NCAA Tournament (from that guy that watched 161 boys high school games this season)

So does my 168 put me in the final four?

Very nice article about local talent that adds good value when watching March Madness. Thanks for posting.

Kiddman, how many St. Mary’s games?

Just spotted Tydus Verhoeven on the roster at Northwestern.

He went to Manteca HS, 2017 grad. His junior year, they lost to Ayala in (I think), the D3 state title game.

As a senior, he led Manteca in points and rebounds.

The 6'9" swingman went to UTEP originally, but transferred to N'Western for his senior season. He's doing 15 minutes or so a game this year.

Reactions: larry legend33
Just spotted Tydus Verhoeven on the roster at Northwestern.

He went to Manteca HS, 2017 grad. His junior year, they lost to Ayala in (I think), the D3 state title game.

As a senior, he led Manteca in points and rebounds.

The 6'9" swingman went to UTEP originally, but transferred to N'Western for his senior season. He's doing 15 minutes or so a game this year.
he went to duquense first, then utep. and they won a state title one year for sure. had the kid who went to oregon and the 7 foot indian kid on the team

Josh Morgan (Sheldon) is playing at the moment for the U$C Condoms.
Morgan playing well. Already has 10.
Really impressed with how Jordan Brown bounced back.
Hopefully he gets a shot at nba. Musselman didn’t help him much at UNr.

Currently watching Sandy Eggo State, which features a number of NorCal'ers... Keshad Johnson, Darion Trammel play a lot and Miles Byrd, Demarshay Johnson and Cade Alger play a little...

Looks like they're gonna put an end to Furman's Cindrella run, but they need to finish. Furman showed comeback ability in their win v. Virginia.

p.s. my niece graduated from SDSU.

Oakland Tech alum Souley Boum not shooting well today, but leading X to the Sweet 16 and Joey Calcaterra also onto the sweet 16. Two Nor Cal guys playing significant roles for Big East sweet 16 teams. That is kina cool.

Last edited:
Yes, Matt Allocco of Princeton is related to Frank Sr. & Jr. As this article mentions:
“He’s related to the famous Frank Allocco, a New Providence legend, who played basketball and football at Notre Dame.”

SDSU, with several NorCal'ers, moves into the Elite Eight!

UConn with Joey California also advances...

Joey Calcaterra looked pretty nice tonight, UCONN is pretty tough all around

Who was the last Bay Area kid playing (not sitting on the end of the bench) an important role on a Final Four team?

I honestly have no idea which is why I'm asking.

Bob Dalton for the 1959 Cal Bears, a starter for his junior and senior years. Went to San Leandro HS.

Now... THAT took some searching!

Reactions: observer22
Bob Dalton for the 1959 Cal Bears, a starter for his junior and senior years. Went to San Leandro HS.

I appreciate it. But, IF we consider Santa Cruz County to be Bay Area (I do as it borders San Mateo County) then 1998 Stanford's Tim Young of Harbor High School, Santa Cruz who was the starting center is it.

Oakland Tech’s Quentin Thomas definitely played some significant minutes at UNC when they won the title and lost in the final four
Q! He was a nice player for Tech. Yes, by senior year he was a solid contributor for Roy.
And Joey C looks nice coming off bench and hitting key buckets. Nice to have that option. I watched him play a few times in hs and not in my wildest dreams did I think he would be playing for a power like UConn. He did have a good career at usd and always could score the ball.

Reactions: bella123 and MC415

I used to know Bob. Good guy. His son Wes played hoops and football at Monte Vista, and was actually the starting QB for Cal in the 1999 Big Game.

Terrence Mullins of Riordan played in the Final 4 with Oklahoma against Kansas in 1988 with that Mookie Blaylock team. He was freshman, not a starter, but did get some playing time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT