ADVERTISEMENT

Bellarmine vs. Folsom Poll

Bellarmine vs. Folsom. Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFolsomBulldog

Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2015
Alright guys! The winner seems split between party lines (WCAL/SFL).

Let's get a vote going and have some fun! Good luck to both teams. It has been a great season of HS football.

I'm a SJS guy and hope Folsom wins. I agree with what many have said, In that I could see Folsom winning by a couple of TDs. But for some reason, I just have a sneaky suspicion that Bells pull one out here. Weather may play a factor according to the forecast. Folsom has played with fire a few times this year, I think their fortune runs out...hope I'm wrong.

Let's get a vote going and have some fun! Good luck to both teams. It has been a great season of HS football.
I think Bellarmine could surprise here.They may be able to play ball control and keep Folsoms offense off the field.I have doubts about the Bells ability to defend Folsoms passing attack though

Holy heck -- it's a mrbig sighting! Where ya been hiding?

What's up TR? Work and life have been insane. I'm still come on and read up, but miss all the back and forth. Plus, I miss MtJohn. Although, G61 is good for a laugh.

I'm trying to sneak over to Sac St on the 19th

Reactions: ThunderRam
Weather may play a factor?

Sounding like southern CA a few years ago.
It is looking like a wet weekend. It is already VERY foggy and wet here. Weather app says it should be nasty over the next few days and possibly into the weekend.

Dress warm!

God bless.

Hoping for Bellarmine win but nothing so far has changed my mind that Folsom wins by 10+. If BCP can get into a good defensive rhythm, the score may be much closer with Folsom pulling out a win at the last minute.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Folsom by 14+. The Bells won't be able to stop their pass attack. Folsom handily beat DO. It took a miracle 4th and 10 for Bells to beat DO. They just aren't at Folsom's level.

And here is my point of SFL and SJS homers underestimating Bellarmine. Im sure Bellarmine knows they are the under dog (as they should be) and have no problem with it.

And here is my point of SFL and SJS homers underestimating Bellarmine. Im sure Bellarmine knows they are the under dog (as they should be) and have no problem with it.
I think you are taking it personally. Most people who have seen both teams play agree that this is a two score win by Folsom, or should be. They are also at home and will draw a huge home crowd. All of that matters. Also, Folsom has played 4 or 5 teams on the Bells level. The Bells will be venturing up to this level for the first time. Does that mean that this is a guarantee? Absolutely not. Both teams are VERY good.

Also, I think the "homering" goes both ways. Even if Folsom wins, NOBODY from the WCAL will admit that the SFL is stronger and vice versa. That's just the way it is. When there is football, there will be homering.

God bless.

I think you are taking it personally. Most people who have seen both teams play agree that this is a two score win by Folsom, or should be. They are also at home and will draw a huge home crowd. All of that matters. Also, Folsom has played 4 or 5 teams on the Bells level. The Bells will be venturing up to this level for the first time. Does that mean that this is a guarantee? Absolutely not. Both teams are VERY good.

Also, I think the "homering" goes both ways. Even if Folsom wins, NOBODY from the WCAL will admit that the SFL is stronger and vice versa. That's just the way it is. When there is football, there will be homering.

God bless.

Im not taking anything personal. Im not even a WCAL supporter. You stated in another thread that people are underestimating Folsom when in reality people have done nothing but give them credit. Everyone keeps pointing to the Bells/DO as the deciding factor as to who is going to win this game when that game doesnt mean much. If we want to use games from the beginning of the year to compare teams lets point to CVC who is the closest team to Bellarmine based on scheme that Folsom has faced. That was a 1 point game. Obviously Folsom is much improved from their first game just like Bellarmine is much improved from their 2nd game. Folsom may have faced 4-5 opponents at Bells level but they didnt blow them out of the water. Yes I agree Folsom is a two score favorite but I wouldnt be shocked at all if Bellarmine wins.

This game wouldnt be the answer to which league is better. All it proves is that SFLs top team was better than WCALs top team. I think the SFL is stronger this year but I also dont think the gap is as big as some SFL homers think.

Reactions: FBAddict
Im not taking anything personal. Im not even a WCAL supporter. You stated in another thread that people are underestimating Folsom when in reality people have done nothing but give them credit. Everyone keeps pointing to the Bells/DO as the deciding factor as to who is going to win this game when that game doesnt mean much. If we want to use games from the beginning of the year to compare teams lets point to CVC who is the closest team to Bellarmine based on scheme that Folsom has faced. That was a 1 point game. Obviously Folsom is much improved from their first game just like Bellarmine is much improved from their 2nd game. Folsom may have faced 4-5 opponents at Bells level but they didnt blow them out of the water. Yes I agree Folsom is a two score favorite but I wouldnt be shocked at all if Bellarmine wins.

This game wouldnt be the answer to which league is better. All it proves is that SFLs top team was better than WCALs top team. I think the SFL is stronger this year but I also dont think the gap is as big as some SFL homers think.
I get it. Believe me. But all of this has been started over and over already. It will be settled on Friday night.

God bless.

God bless.
I have seen both teams play and I think the Bells will pull it out at the end of regulation. You act like the Bells haven't been battle tested week in and out in the WCAL. I see Folsom throwing 3 ints which the Bells will capitalize on. And when they win put this argument to rest about who the top league in Nor Cal is! Lol

I have seen both teams play and I think the Bells will pull it out at the end of regulation. You act like the Bells haven't been battle tested week in and out in the WCAL. I see Folsom throwing 3 ints which the Bells will capitalize on. And when they win put this argument to rest about who the top league in Nor Cal is! Lol
100 percent false. The only team they had been "battle tested" against was Del Oro, in which they won on a 4th and 10 miracle. I was at that game and saw it first hand. Great game by the way. Folsom played 4 or 5 teams of that caliber or better. Most were in their own league. The SFL is absolutely vicious, with every week being a playoff game. Which game did you see Folsom play?

Homers gonna homer. Including myself. Good luck to both teams.

God bless.

100 percent false. The only team they had been "battle tested" against was Del Oro, in which they won on a 4th and 10 miracle. I was at that game and saw it first hand. Great game by the way. Folsom played 4 or 5 teams of that caliber or better. Most were in their own league. The SFL is absolutely vicious, with every week being a playoff game. Which game did you see Folsom play?

Homers gonna homer. Including myself. Good luck to both teams.

God bless.
100% false? Most of Folsom's wins were blowouts. The last three games teams were able to put some points on the board which leads me to believe the Bells can score against them. If you throw in the weather factor those 3ints could very well happen. No doubt Folsom is a very good team, but by no means will they roll the Bells. Bells by 3.

100% false? Most of Folsom's wins were blowouts. The last three games teams were able to put some points on the board which leads me to believe the Bells can score against them. If you throw in the weather factor those 3ints could very well happen. No doubt Folsom is a very good team, but by no means will they roll the Bells. Bells by 3.
I have stuck to my prediction- Folsom by 14. Just too physical.

Most of their games were not blowouts. Even in the shut out against Del Oro, they pulled away in the second half. Folsom wears down teams in the second half, and I see it no differently against the Bells. Gotta go with the team that hasn't lost in over 2 years. Seeing many of Elk Grove's games this year (wife teaches there), I felt that Elk Groves running attack and physicality were above that of the Bells. Folsom played Elk Grove's running attack well.

God bless. And most of all- Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Great posts by everyone! This is shaping up to be one for the ages. We look forward to welcoming the Bells and their fans to Prairie City Stadium in Folsom on Friday night.

My best advice if you are attending this game:
Get there EARLY
Tailgating is encouraged, although parking in this area is extremely limited
Bring CASH!!!! The ticket booth does not accept credit/debit cards
Bring CASH!!!! They have GREAT food at the stadium, but still do not accept credit/debit.
Dress WARM. It is going to be cold and most likely wet.
If you don't plan on getting there early, I would park at Safeway and walk over. They do not tow.
The visitor side is a bit smaller, although still large. Get there early to get a spot.

Most of all- Have fun. This is two great teams going at it for bragging rights in Norcal. Let's support them as much as we can.

Why does everyone keep pointing to the Bellarmine vs DO early season matchup as the benchmark for predicting this upcoming game.?I have no dog in this fight,but that was early in the year.Why is no one using a 1 point Folsom win over D2 Clayton Valley the same way?I keep seeing how "lucky" Bellarmine was to beat 4th place DO.Does this mean also that Folsom was "lucky" to beat CVC?Does this mean CVC would be the 2nd best team in the SFL?Or even the SJS?What SFL/SJS team came within 1 point of Folsom?My point is that neither of those early season games will have a thing to do with what happens Friday night.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Why does everyone keep pointing to the Bellarmine vs DO early season matchup as the benchmark for predicting this upcoming game.?I have no dog in this fight,but that was early in the year.Why is no one using a 1 point Folsom win over D2 Clayton Valley the same way?I keep seeing how "lucky" Bellarmine was to beat 4th place DO.Does this mean also that Folsom was "lucky" to beat CVC?Does this mean CVC would be the 2nd best team in the SFL?Or even the SJS?What SFL/SJS team came within 1 point of Folsom?My point is that neither of those early season games will have a thing to do with what happens Friday night.
I agree. And Folsom was lucky to beat CVC earlier in the year.

God bless.

I think a lot of people view the WCAL as the old Big 12 Conference - power/grind it out type of teams/league that go to war with each other, but fare poorly when playing against a more balanced/spread team from outside of their league (i.e. when Nebraska would steamroll through a Big 12 season with 0 or 1 loss but then get smashed in their bowl game against a team like Florida State or Miami).

Folsom by at least 1 point over Bellarmine... I base this on the median income, on-line satisfaction surveys and the blue turf. The blue turf is as silly looking as it comes, but it has magical powers.

I think a lot of people view the WCAL as the old Big 12 Conference - power/grind it out type of teams/league that go to war with each other, but fare poorly when playing against a more balanced/spread team from outside of their league (i.e. when Nebraska would steamroll through a Big 12 season with 0 or 1 loss but then get smashed in their bowl game against a team like Florida State or Miami).
For some perspective, it is the WCAL teams (Bellarmine and Serra) that have played DLS, the King of NorCal Football over the past 30 years the closest over the years. Bellarmine's 2012 team took the Spartans to OT in Concord and should have won it. Serra came within 1 td the year after. So, I don't think you will intimidate Bellarmine. Don't get me wrong, they respect Folsom and they are the underdog, but they will not go down without a fight.

I would have said that last year, but three other teams have adopted the spread offense this year in the WCAL, and it wasn't your typical scoring year this year I.E Riordan 66-45 win over a solid Serra squad. The Bells will be better prepared now that their secondary has been tested and yes they are full of speedsters that are faster and quicker than Folsom's recievers. I'm sure the Bells will give Folsom various looks to hopefully confuse Folsom's qb because if they don't it could be a long drive home, but I am still sticking with Janda. Bells by 3!

Folsom was without a doubt lucky to beat CV. Poor coaching cost CV in that game. That said looking at tape of Bell they aren't as good as CV and I see Folsom as much better now than then when they played CV. Folsom wins this by at least 2 scores.

Looks like the poll on this thread has Folsom heavily favored in the eyes of us old, past their prime men. The good thing is- we don't decide the outcome. The kids do.

Good luck to everyone. And God bless.

Pete.

Last edited:
Weather may play a factor?

Sounding like southern CA a few years ago.

I hope it rains like Noah's loading up the arc!! It is a widely held belief that rain "slows" Folsom's offense. Reality is, the offense is predicated on the WRs running precise routes and the QB making his reads, not spectacular catches.

In 2010 Vacaville was avg >75pts/ playoff game with a heavy dose of run, run, run. Their fans were literally dancing and singing in the rain on their way in to the stadium. They were sure they had the (other) Bulldogs right where they wanted them!

Halftime score was Folsom 75 Vacaville 0

Pretty interesting that Folsom doesnt have a single WR with double digit TDs or 1000 yards receiving. Obviously they have a hand full of guys that make an impact in the passing game but do they have a go to WR threat that will be a matchup nightmare for Bells?

I hope it rains like Noah's loading up the arc!! It is a widely held belief that rain "slows" Folsom's offense. Reality is, the offense is predicated on the WRs running precise routes and the QB making his reads, not spectacular catches.

In 2010 Vacaville was avg >75pts/ playoff game with a heavy dose of run, run, run. Their fans were literally dancing and singing in the rain on their way in to the stadium. They were sure they had the (other) Bulldogs right where they wanted them!

Halftime score was Folsom 75 Vacaville 0
Yeah I remember that game. awood might be hoping for the wrong thing if he's a bellarmine homer.

Folsom is much better defending the run than the pass this year. Look at SM and where EG had success. Folsom is too big up front to be effective ran on this year. Don't go back to week 1 vs CVC. That was 3 months ago. Folsom a different team now. Bells is undersized and doesn't have the athletes ( in my opinion ) in this matchup. Folsom has played and beat better teams than bells this year.

Great posts, but some are being repeated too many times as to why Folson will win based on the Del Oro game [ I mentioned previously as well]. The Bell's 34-31 "miracle win" against DO has looked pretty good lately based upon their last several games

So in cross team comparisons which may mean next to nuthin' here is yet another tidbit no one has mentioned. Folsom beat St. Mary's in a shoot-out by 56-49. The same St. Mary's was beaten by Los Gatos of the CCS 33-30. Why is this relevant you ask? Only as Mitty the 6th placed team in WCAL downed Los Gatos 45-16 and Valley Christian the 4th team in WCAL also downed them 34-15. I say this only to emphasize what I stated earlier - cross team comparison's and 2nd games in post-season play mean very little - it is all in the team match-ups. Folsom is the favorite and it is up to Bell's to prove otherwise.

Reactions: PAL95 and ds1968
Pretty interesting that Folsom doesnt have a single WR with double digit TDs or 1000 yards receiving. Obviously they have a hand full of guys that make an impact in the passing game but do they have a go to WR threat that will be a matchup nightmare for Bells?
#21 Eric Davis would be there but he didn't play till like week 6. He's a matchup nightmare for bells. Just watch. Folsom spreads the ball around well. They don't run the same plays every week. They are very well coached. Their top receiver is whoever is open in the scheme that week. Sometimes it's #5 or #2 and now #21 lately. Both of Folsom's backs line up at WR a lot as well. They're thought to match up against. Many talented targets. Isn't that the real matchup nightmare?? Many guys to cover?

Anyone going early to tailgate? Old Petey Pete going to meet up with the boys from Elk Grove for a little bbq before the game! Should be some good family fun in the sun! Or, should I say rain?

God bless.

Anyone going early to tailgate? Old Petey Pete going to meet up with the boys from Elk Grove for a little bbq before the game! Should be some good family fun in the sun! Or, should I say rain?

God bless.

WHOA!! Talking EG BBQ got my attention!! Those boys got all forms of meat and fire on lockdown!!

Folsom is much better defending the run than the pass this year. Look at SM and where EG had success. Folsom is too big up front to be effective ran on this year. Don't go back to week 1 vs CVC. That was 3 months ago. Folsom a different team now. Bells is undersized and doesn't have the athletes ( in my opinion ) in this matchup. Folsom has played and beat better teams than bells this year.

My guess is that you havent see Bellarmine play this year if you dont think they have athletes. This is the fastest team they have had in a while. Obviously having a bunch of great receiving threats like last year make it difficult to defend but having a handfull of system WRs isnt much of a threat if you can matchup up well enough agaisnt them. Last year they had a few players that were near impossible to defend. I just dont think they have that this year. As I have stated Jeffery is going to be the biggest difference maker in this game and I have a feeling it will be due to his legs. I cant wait for this game. Both are great teams and programs. I wouldnt mind having either of them representing Norcal at state.

My guess is that you havent see Bellarmine play this year if you dont think they have athletes. This is the fastest team they have had in a while. Obviously having a bunch of great receiving threats like last year make it difficult to defend but having a handfull of system WRs isnt much of a threat if you can matchup up well enough agaisnt them. Last year they had a few players that were near impossible to defend. I just dont think they have that this year. As I have stated Jeffery is going to be the biggest difference maker in this game and I have a feeling it will be due to his legs. I cant wait for this game. Both are great teams and programs. I wouldnt mind having either of them representing Norcal at state.
They don't match Folsom athlete for athlete especially up front. Bells d line is small and being an athlete is more than speed. I don't see bells 5 man box stopping Folsom's wildcat with Jeffery Neal and Green all able to run effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT