ADVERTISEMENT

Bellarmine vs. Folsom Poll

Bellarmine vs. Folsom. Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The WCAL physical style of football was too much for the flag football style SFL.

Exactly, whose skin you trying to get under with that crap?

You know as well as I that was a very competitive game between both schools and no way in he'll does either league outshine the other. Both have depth and competitive football being played within league play

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
Just finished watching the taped version of this game. Wow. Both teams played their hearts out and it was a great game.
I thought that in the first half, the Bells put a lot of pressure on Jeffries, and it seemed to affect him. Most of this pressure came from blitzing. In the 2nd half, it seemed like the Bells let up on the defensive pressure and allowed Jeffries time to pick them apart somewhat. Conversely, the Bells running game was much better in the 2nd half. In hindsight, on those last 2 Td runs by the Bells back, I would have considered dropping down on the 1 yard line and using a little more time. Stupid, I know.

Good luck to the Bells next week and Folsom in the future. Continue to make these games great.

FYI, I'm a CCS guy, but on the public side of the fence. My team defeated 4 WCAL teams last year (2014) and didn't win a section championship.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
If I didn't make it clear enough, my hats off to both teams.

Folsom had a stellar year, especially considering that they replaced 20 or so starters and just went toe to toe with the WCAL champ. Nothing to hang their heads about. At all. Their run of 30 consecutive wins speaks volumes about their program. That said, if I hear Joe Davidson or any other beat writer continue to pimp their ongoing "regular season" win streak, I'll vomit dayglo. Give it a rest guys.

As for Bellarmine, I'll be rooting for them against a very good Mission Viejo team. I didn't see the Helix game broadcast tonight, but I recorded and watched their section title game against Vista Murrieta. The Bells can beat that team if they play like they did tonight. I have no doubt. Martig continues to be the team's x-factor and their defensive team speed and relentlessness should keep them in the game.

WOW!! Finally got to finish the game. What a game. It really could have gone either way. I warned some SFL homers not to underestimate Bellarmine. The ones that were familiar with their program didnt. I thought Bellarmine went punch for punch with that Folsom line on both sides of the ball. They really neutralized the game by doing that. As I stated earlier Bellarmine 100% had better athletes out there. If you disagree we werent watching the same game. Bellarmine went man coverage almost all game. While Folsom was able to complete some big chunks in the passing game Bells defenders were right on them and limited yards after catch. Folsom did a good job slipping their RBs out of the backfield having an ILB matched up on them and that was their best play all night. I think we all knew Bells needed their passing game to win this game and they definitely made the plays. #3 #24 and #7 for Bells were the best ball players on the field IMO. Martig is really fun to watch. Great leader out there. And how about Bells NG #70. He was extremely undersize only a Sophomore. He made a ton of plays. He was putting a ton of pressure on Jeffery. I guess his dad played in the NFL. Bells LBs were really impressive as well. I think we were all a little surprised how physical Bellarmine was. Great game by both teams. There is no way you can put Folsom down after that game. Jeffery is a really good football player. He made the one bad throw which you could argue cost the game. #24 for Folsom was a good player surprised they didnt get him the ball more. #80 was a great defensive player. Really aggressive and always flying downhill or down the LOS. Awesome game IDK what else to say..Congrats to Bellamine now its time to go whoop some southern butt.

No wonder Folsom makes great half time adjustments. They get to watch the whole 1st half film on the sidelines lol I have never seen a team do that. Do they do that at every game?

Last edited:
No Thunder, I have to disagree with you. The majority of SFL fans on this blog subjected WCAL and CCS fans to some harsh criticism and didn't give them a shot in hell. While you may be an exception, most SFL fans were harsh in their critiques while many CCS and WCAL fans sat on their hands.

First off congrats to Bells, I honestly thought folsom would win this game.

WCAL and CCS fans? How can you root for a whole league, let alone a section? How do you determine which section to root for? Lame![/QUOTE]

How can you root for a whole league or a section? There is nothing odd to it, I am a fan of the WCAL which is part of the CCS section. I am proud of the teams and sports there, wow, that was simple...Go ice down your head.

There are knuckleheads everywhere. Don't be one in return and generalize. Yes, there were some overconfident Folsom/SFL fans. I was not one of them. Neither was smashmouthrick or several others.

When pressed for a score prediction, I said 7-10 points. I was spot on. I just had the wrong team. :)

As I said all week long, it was hard to pick against Folsom until they finally lost. That's the only reason I went that direction. But I also said that it wouldn't shock me in the least if the Bells won. And I've been saying all season that I thought Folsom was beatable. CVC nearly did it. Rocklin had them down at half and close to more early 3rd QTR.

But Folsom did the same thing tonight that they did all season. They found a way to fight back. And they nearly pulled it off again against a top flight program.

Honestly, I don't want to hear any chest thumping from WCAL fans or excuses from SFL fans. It cheapens the game we just saw. You'd be hard pressed to see a much better game.

Thunder, I can't banter with you if you're not going to carefully read...I said "majority of SFL fans on this blog." If that's not you, GOOD! So don't call me a knucklehead.

Wow, fantastic game @Sac State! Wish I could have been there last night but was in Bakersfield watching another great battle.

As a big SFL fan I'm really bummed Folsom did not get the W. Incredible run by an incredible team and coaching staff. I truly believe the next Aaron Rogers comes from the Folsom QB factory. Congrats Folsom on all your accomplishments this past decade and rep'ing the SFL, proud of you!

The Bells, as I said when Del Oro's schedule first came out I was so stoked to see the DO/Bells game. I have nothing but respect for the Bells and love how they roll i.e. smashmouth physical football! Congrats Bells you deserve the Norcal D1 title.

Now, Folsom, SFL and NorCal fans alike, lets get behind them Bells and support their hardware acquisition!

Wow, fantastic game @Sac State! Wish I could have been there last night but was in Bakersfield watching another great battle.

As a big SFL fan I'm really bummed Folsom did not get the W. Incredible run by an incredible team and coaching staff. I truly believe the next Aaron Rogers comes from the Folsom QB factory. Congrats Folsom on all your accomplishments this past decade and rep'ing the SFL, proud of you!

The Bells, as I said when Del Oro's schedule first came out I was so stoked to see the DO/Bells game. I have nothing but respect for the Bells and love how they roll i.e. smashmouth physical football! Congrats Bells you deserve the Norcal D1 title.

Now, Folsom, SFL and NorCal fans alike, lets get behind them Bells and support their hardware acquisition!
Agreed. Norcal is represented well this year! Congrats to everyone.

God bless.

Not sure what game you are referring too... Maybe the one next week @Sac State? :eek: JK...

I've never been to the Folsom stadium but the TV view with its blue field always trips me out...
It looks even crazier on TV. It almost has a weird reflection. Doesn't look that way in person, but does on TV. Good stuff last night.

God bless.

My personal favorite on this thread is when thehookup55 proclaimed that Bellarmine has better athletes at the skill positions.

I honestly thought he was completely drunk when he said this. Honestly.

I get there are homers on both sides. Believe me I get it. But cmon! Let's revisit this after Friday nights game. Can't wait!

God bless.

Pete

;)

After tonight's gem, I just want to see more games like this. I sincerely hope these teams and two leagues can make it happen every year. If so, I'm a paying customer!

God bless.

Hopefully the EBAL teams took note so that they can climb out of their caves and start taking on these kinds of games. No excuses not to do so.

I'm gonna do my best not to gloat, but hopefully this game can be a reminder and a caution to those with a bit too much bravado in their predictions and representations of their teams/sections.

This game
Hopefully the EBAL teams took note so that they can climb out of their caves and start taking on these kinds of games. No excuses not to do so.

I'm gonna do my best not to gloat, but hopefully this game can be a reminder and a caution to those with a bit too much bravado in their predictions and representations of their teams/sections.

Did you get the game in SoCal? You up for the games in Sac?

I'll add to this by saying had Elk Grove played Bellarmine, we still don't know what would have happened.
I do. The Bells would have beaten them as well. The Bells are just a better team this year in NORCAL. Nothing more nothing less. You have to take your hat off to those kids and coaches. They traveled over a 100 miles to show what they were about and they prevailed in a big way. No excuses here. Congrats and beat SoCal...

It was a great game that could have gone either way. I'm not saying since bellarmine won it proved they had better athletes. Bellarmine did make it an even match up due to their better athletes though. Folsom was bigger and stronger but bellarmine was clearly better athletes and that neutralized folsoms strength that they clearly had over bellarmine. Had Folsom won that game at the end I still would have said Bellarmine had better athletes. They played man coverage almost all game and were right on folsoms WR all game. How many yards did Folsom have after the catch? I would guess not as much as they averaged all year. Bellarmine contested almost every throw and made some really nice plays on the ball. Folsoms DBs had no answer for bellarmines passing game. Bellarmines oline and dline were extremely athletic. They didn't have to blow back Folsom to gain yards all they needed was to use leverage create a lane and Bells were getting 3-4 yards a carry which is how they love to play. Hats off to both teams and it was an awesome game. While the teams were evenly matched it was because they both had strengths that were opposite of each other. Folsom was bigger and stronger Bellarmine was more athletic.

It was a great game that could have gone either way. I'm not saying since bellarmine won it proved they had better athletes. Bellarmine did make it an even match up due to their better athletes though. Folsom was bigger and stronger but bellarmine was clearly better athletes and that neutralized folsoms strength that they clearly had over bellarmine. Had Folsom won that game at the end I still would have said Bellarmine had better athletes. They played man coverage almost all game and were right on folsoms WR all game. How many yards did Folsom have after the catch? I would guess not as much as they averaged all year. Bellarmine contested almost every throw and made some really nice plays on the ball. Folsoms DBs had no answer for bellarmines passing game. Bellarmines oline and dline were extremely athletic. They didn't have to blow back Folsom to gain yards all they needed was to use leverage create a lane and Bells were getting 3-4 yards a carry which is how they love to play. Hats off to both teams and it was an awesome game. While the teams were evenly matched it was because they both had strengths that were opposite of each other. Folsom was bigger and stronger Bellarmine was more athletic.
We agree on it that it was a GREAT game. But, the Bells did not have better athletes. I felt it was pretty even all around. Don't start with the "Folsom had no answers for this and that." The Bells still had to convert a 4th and 12 AND get an interception on their own territory to win. Game of inches. Great game.

God bless.

Folsom didn't have an answer for bellarmines passing game. That was what gave Bellarmine a shot. We all knew they had to have a passing game to win and they did. They converted a 4th and 12 to a wide open WR. How many passes did Folsom contest or break up?

Folsom didn't have an answer for bellarmines passing game. That was what gave Bellarmine a shot. We all knew they had to have a passing game to win and they did. They converted a 4th and 12 to a wide open WR. How many passes did Folsom contest or break up?
You could say the same thing for Folsom. Jeffrey had a field day throwing the ball. Tre Green had a huge game as well.

There were no "answers" on either side. The Bells made the key plays at key times. They won.

Yes Jeffery had a great game. But that was expected from him. Folsom had some key drops one leading to an int. Tre Green was good I was surprised they didn't get him the ball more. I'm really not trying to get in an argument about the game and take anything away from Folsom. Great game evenly matched because they had such opposite strengths as a team that's just my opinion. We can just agree to disagree why it was evenly matched lol

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Thunder, I can't banter with you if you're not going to carefully read...I said "majority of SFL fans on this blog." If that's not you, GOOD! So don't call me a knucklehead.

C'mon Adam -- heed your own advice about carefully reading. I referred to the overconfident bunch as knuckleheads (in my best Charles Barley voice), not you. In jest, I requested not to be one in return.

I'll add to this by saying had Elk Grove played Bellarmine, we still don't know what would have happened.

I agree. Teams always match up differently with one another. For example, Del Oro and Folsom both played evenly with Bellarmine, yet Folsom dominated Del Oro. Although Del Oro is quite a different team now and would probably give the Bulldogs a tough game if they played next weekend.

I do believe that Folsom, Elk Grove, Bellarmine and, now, Del Oro are all fairly even. The team that won the week before may not win the following week.

That said, the Bells and Golden Eagles are still standing and deserve their shot at a title. I hope they both break through, but it ain't gonna be easy. I think the Bells probably have the best shot of the two.

They converted a 4th and 12 to a wide open WR.

I wouldn't say it was wide open. Martig had to throw a perfectly timed and accurate pass to Vincent Fernandez, who was running a crossing pattern. If it wasn't perfectly executed, it might not have worked.

Before the snap, I knew Martig was going to make it happen. He did the same thing in Loomis against Del Oro numerous times. The kid is MONEY when it's all on the line.

Against Del Oro, he broke tackles, eluded defenders to scramble for 1st downs or to buy time to throw. The Golden Eagles had them down to a final play several times and Martig always found a way to pull through. That's why I knew it was going to happen on that 4th and 12 play. That was the one time Folsom could have used just a bit of pressure and they might have won. But they didn't get it and Martig worked his magic yet again.

I said before the game and during that Bellarmine's pass attack is very underrated. They are quite good at it. While I realize that they like to win games grinding it out and owning TOP, I think this team is at it's best when they spread it out and sling it with Troy. They have excellent WR's with speed and a QB that can make things happen with both his arm and legs.

Mission Viejo doesn't realize what they are about to face.

Reactions: WCAL75
wouldn't say it was wide open. Martig had to throw a perfectly timed and accurate pass to Vincent Fernandez, who was running a crossing pattern. If it wasn't perfectly executed, it might not have worked.

It was wide open in the sense that no Folsom defender was there to prevent it. Had they not converted it would have been due to a mistake by Bellarmine. Nothing was a gimme in that game. How about big boy Jonah Williams plowing through the line to block that FG? I was worried that was going to hurt Bellarmine in the end. I would have thought Folsom would have kicked deep more once bellarmines offense got on a roll. They gifted them great field position on several drives.

It was wide open in the sense that no Folsom defender was there to prevent it. Had they not converted it would have been due to a mistake by Bellarmine. Nothing was a gimme in that game. How about big boy Jonah Williams plowing through the line to block that FG? I was worried that was going to hurt Bellarmine in the end. I would have thought Folsom would have kicked deep more once bellarmines offense got on a roll. They gifted them great field position on several drives.
I wasn't a fan of giving the Bells great field position on all of those kick offs. I felt it hurt them. As far as Jonah Williams goes- He will be a fun dude to watch next year at Alabama.

God bless.

I would have thought Folsom would have kicked deep more once bellarmines offense got on a roll. They gifted them great field position on several drives.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that, but did question it as they continued to do it. I suppose part of the thinking might have been to prevent Bellarmine from being able to chew up more time while also getting a chance at a recovery.

I also didn't understand why they opted for the FG attempt at the end of the half, but went for it in so many other situations -- like the 4th and 10 from their own 20. I know time was starting to run short, but they still had 3 timeouts and if they didn't pick up the 1st it would have been ballgame right there.

The only thing that irks me about the post game comments is that some of the people that gave DLS crap for losing to Trinity are now taking the high road since they're the one now taking the loss. When DLS lost and DLS supporters were saying the loss was "one overthrown pass at the end" of an even game, they were chastised for making excuses. I do realize that some DLS supporters are a different breed altogether that could use some crap now and then, but still, glass houses. Granted most of the chastising was from G91, and I'm wondering why he went silent leading up to this game.

Reactions: ThunderRam
The only thing that irks me about the post game comments is that some of the people that gave DLS crap for losing to Trinity are now taking the high road since they're the one now taking the loss. When DLS lost and DLS supporters were saying the loss was "one overthrown pass at the end" of an even game, they were chastised for making excuses. I do realize that some DLS supporters are a different breed altogether that could use some crap now and then, but still, glass houses. Granted most of the chastising was from G91, and I'm wondering why he went silent leading up to this game.
Hatchball- relax. Just a game. We are all rooting for DLS in the big one next week.

God bless.

This game

Did you get the game in SoCal? You up for the games in Sac?

Actually, I was at the game in Folsom. No such luck for next week (actually, the g-friend wants to go to a Christmas party next Saturday night, so I may end up watching on tape delay as it is).

Here I am!!!!!!!! I'm that guy that rode the hell out of DLS. I was the guy that said they need to get better skill position players before they schedule a Florida, Georgia or Texas program. You can't go into those states and expect to win without having elite skill players. Georgia's undefeated Colquitt County just beat a very, very good undefeated Roswell team tonight for the 1-A championship inside the Georgia Dome. I would bet my house that Colquitt County would beat Euless Trinity by 3 or 4 scores. So yeah I rode DLS because they need to stay in Cali with that weak ish. If they got the skill kids they got back in the day I can see them beating these teams but not now and I stand firm on that. Dropped the Mic and it broke!!!

I would bet my house that Colquitt County would beat Euless Trinity by 3 or 4 scores.

Careful, PGW, your prediction record has been a bit shaky this season. You might want to risk something of lesser value, although I do have a comfortable couch you can crash on if need be. Might not be enough room for Mrs. PGW, though. ;)

Careful, PGW, your prediction record has been a bit shaky this season. You might want to risk something of lesser value, although I do have a comfortable couch you can crash on if need be. Might not be enough room for Mrs. PGW, though. ;)
I might have to take your advice on the lesser value idea. I lost my azz the last time I went to Tahoe.:D

I hate to be the wet rag in a trash talking session, but I am as big a "homer" as they come. All this talk of leagues "bowing down" is fun and all, but I will bow to every kid and coach on the field tonight in acknowledgment of a job well done. I am not at all on board with the PC "everyone gets a trophy", but I am appreciative of the time, effort and sacrifices that all the players and coaches make to succeed.

I will be quiet (in comparison to others) win or lose. A simple statement acknowledging the effort given and respect earned doesn't take long to pen and I imagine that's about all I could offer after the game. Strength of league, injuries, refs, weather, long bus rides, D1 talent, speed, strength, even a bad test score at school that day, can all effect the outcome of a HS football game. I won't let the outcome cloud the fact that these 2 teams have EARNED the opportunity to play each other by beating everyone put in front of them, playing under coaches and a system that they had no say in. They showed up, put in the work, did what was asked of them and enjoy the results.

I would expect a GREAT football game. A marked contrast in styles offensively, defensively, even on special teams! As a homer, I am hoping that the end result is a Folsom win. Win or lose, I will be relatively quiet AND will bow down to everyone on the field for the respect that they have earned.

Just to not be a total PC idiot, I will say that as I have watched every Folsom game over the last 8 years I have seen 1 truism in every game;
Folsom wins IF: Opponents # of punts > Folsoms # of INT's & lost fumbles. I know it's not 100% but it's damn close. Every time Folsom gets a defensive stop and a team punts, I think "There's the ball game". And with the '15 team, it has consistently been the 4th qtr when this shows itself. Folsom's depth, conditioning and strength makes them look as if they are getting better as the game goes on. We saw it against CVC to start the season and even more so in the last 2 play-off games. Down 14 @ half against SM and down 7-0 after 2 plays against EG and they kept battling.

I see Bellarmine striking 1st as the Folsom D adjusts to the speed & deception of the double wing, maybe even getting a defensive stop or 2 in the 1st half, could be up at halftime. But I think (hope) that Folsom has been great at making adjustments and finding what works as the game goes on and will do so again tonight.

Prediction (again a hope); Folsom score 2x's in the 4th to pull away with a 42-27 victory after being down at half 14-20.

Safe travels to everyone going to the game and apologies in advance for the parking (If you didn't know, there is a basketball tnmt starting at 4pm through 8:30 and a theater presentation of The Nutcracker starting at 7pm.....it's gonna be PACKED!!)

Back, as I said I would be. Despite missing the final outcome, feeling like I was right in several accounts. It was a GREAT game. The Bells came out playing hard and fast and were up at half. Folsom did make adjustments and looked better in the 2nd half, but so did Bellarmine. Hats off to the Bells, we will be cheering for you to put a beating on SoCal!

As for the particulars. I have to qualify that I have never coached a football team to 30 consecutive wins. But every time I went back and watched film, I have always had a lot of shoulda / coulda / woulda's running through my head. In this case, a couple items I would want as a "do over"s if I was watching the film.
  • On-side kicks; I usually get the idea. Folsom seldom kicks to the deep man and it works out well. Against EG it was smart to not kick to a game changer that repeatedly hurt teams that dared to kick to him. Kicking short leaves guys that aren't usually touching the ball with a "deer in the headlights" look and if they are smart a fair catch attempt. But at least 2 of them Friday night never got close to 10 yds. With a grind it out O like Bellarmine, the only benefit was that they could score quicker.
  • Running the ball: The 4th qtr. advantage Folsom has had all season long was that other teams were "less fresh" come the 4th qtr. As a result, their O-line could take over games. When Folsom took possession at their own 20 with 2:18 to go, I thought "here we go, run the ball, eat clock and score to win!!" We ran multiple times with great success, quickly moving across midfield. Then.....we decide the throw deep? Again, I have the bias of growing up in the Midwest playing Power I. But it relates to every cliche' about passing plays. It was a risk we didn't need to take at a moment when our O was running at will.
Overall, if anyone would have told me in August that 14-1 and a D1 section championship was possible, I would have recommended a breathalyzer and a ride home to whomever said it. Replacing almost an entire team is a tall order. The '15 Bulldogs worked their tails off to make sure that they continued what is a young and growing tradition of excellence.

Congrats to the Bells! Awesome job Friday night, now go get 'em Saturday.
....As for the Bulldogs, it's on the wrestling (defending SFL & D1 Section Champions) and basketball (defending SFL & D1 Section Champions) no rest for the best!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT