ADVERTISEMENT

Big story to watch in NCS

Since when do teams have to play them? Schools like Cal High and SRV choose to play them while other schools like Foothill are now opting out.

I'm talking playoffs. Not preseason/regular season. Believe me if they could avoid them when it matters they would. Think I'm wrong here? If I was those teams would be against the losers play on rule, but they are not they support it.

I'm talking playoffs. Not preseason/regular season. Believe me if they could avoid them when it matters they would. Think I'm wrong here? If I was those teams would be against the losers play on rule, but they are not they support it.

Maybe Folsom, but how does an NCS team avoid DLS in the playoffs? The main goal of teams like Pitt & Cal are to get the #2 or #3 seed so they can meet and hopefully beat DLS in the NCS finals. Nobody is trying to avoid them.

I don't know why the DLS backers have such a problem with a team that might finish second to DLS in NCS Open having another game to play against another top NorCal team in a regional game, and if they win that a possible state game. Call it losers play on if you want, but what it is trying to do is have the better teams in NorCal play each other.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Maybe Folsom, but how does an NCS team avoid DLS in the playoffs? The main goal of teams like Pitt & Cal are to get the #2 or #3 seed so they can meet and hopefully beat DLS in the NCS finals. Nobody is trying to avoid them.
k

Sigh. And NCS teams don't avoid them because they "have" to play them. Thanks for backing my point.

I don't know why the DLS backers have such a problem with a team that might finish second to DLS in NCS Open having another game to play against another top NorCal team in a regional game, and if they win that a possible state game. Call it losers play on if you want, but what it is trying to do is have the better teams in NorCal play each other.

Not a DLS backer stated many times. And my issue is a team playing on that lost period not just NCS. At some point a team that wins is left out. And what if DLS stumbles in the playoffs imagine the pissing and moaning that's going to happen for the poor team that has to face them knowing they lost? What if SoCal starts this losers play on gimmick, as it is right now some of their best programs sit home every year. And what it is, is softening what sport is all about. Period and I'm not for that.

Reactions: paul_johnson884
k

Sigh. And NCS teams don't avoid them because they "have" to play them. Thanks for backing my point.

Not a DLS backer stated many times. And my issue is a team playing on that lost period not just NCS. At some point a team that wins is left out. And what if DLS stumbles in the playoffs imagine the pissing and moaning that's going to happen for the poor team that has to face them knowing they lost? What if SoCal starts this losers play on gimmick, as it is right now some of their best programs sit home every year. And what it is, is softening what sport is all about. Period and I'm not for that.

the SOUTHERN SECTION in SoCal already does it in basketball. They have a 16 team "OPEN" playoff and the teams that lose early get put back into either D1 or D2 for the state playoffs.. At least its what they did starting this year.

the SOUTHERN SECTION in SoCal already does it in basketball. They have a 16 team "OPEN" playoff and the teams that lose early get put back into either D1 or D2 for the state playoffs.. At least its what they did starting this year.

Am I in a basketball forum? Sorry my bad. I have no clue how basketball handles anything because I don't follow it. I will say if we are going to model football after basketball then that a sad day.

Am I in a basketball forum? Sorry my bad. I have no clue how basketball handles anything because I don't follow it. I will say if we are going to model football after basketball then that a sad day.

Its all the same commissioners. Not special commissioners for each sport. just saying.....
same commissioners making decisions for basketball are making decisions for football.

its already being done in 1 sport.....would it truly be shocking if they try it in another?

Its all the same commissioners. Not special commissioners for each sport. just saying.....
same commissioners making decisions for basketball are making decisions for football.

its already being done in 1 sport.....would it truly be shocking if they try it in another?

As noted don't follow basketball but by reading your post it sounds like everybody is put into a tournament. There are 16 teams that compete the 8 winners advance and play open 8 losers compete for D1. That's not the same as 1 section letting it's runner up advance solely because they had to play a certain team. That's rediculous to compare the two. Basketball is running it like a wrestling bracket, this is a charity move. Want to run it like basketball then have all section winners compete in open tournament and runner ups go D1.

As noted don't follow basketball but by reading your post it sounds like everybody is put into a tournament. There are 16 teams that compete the 8 winners advance and play open 8 losers compete for D1. That's not the same as 1 section letting it's runner up advance solely because they had to play a certain team. That's rediculous to compare the two. Basketball is running it like a wrestling bracket, this is a charity move. Want to run it like basketball then have all section winners compete in open tournament and runner ups go D1.

It's hard to compare football playoff formats to basketball or any other sport due to the physical nature of the game. Football can only be played once a week and if the playoffs becomes too exotic it can easily become a year round sport.

Reactions: Indianpride45
It's hard to compare football playoff formats to basketball or any other sport due to the physical nature of the game. Football can only be played once a week and if the playoffs becomes too exotic it can easily become a year round sport.

I agree. But a good starting point would be not allowing teams with 4-7, 5-6, etc records into the playoffs. Then you would have a chance of running a bracket type like basketball by just eliminating team that don't deserve to be there.

Not exactly free tuition. When approved for household income based financial aid, the family still has to put in certain amount of hours of work at school events or lunch time type services. So it is not completely free. But not a bad deal for a low income family. I can't speak on vacation homes or limo rides, you obviously have more inside information than me.

Every family has volunteer hours. The majority of them far exceed these hours because they enjoy being part of the family. In fact, there were times I thought my mother was at the school more than me.

Reactions: concrete17
[QUOTE=" Most publics would love to have the number of varsity coaches dLS has as well. I count 10, not including the JV/F green shirts sticking around for the V game. Publics? 4-6 typically. [/QUOTE]

When I played at DLS there were 3 coaches: Lad, Eidson, and a Line Coach (W). We were beating everyone in sight then and just starting to branch out beyond the Easy Bay. The same excuses and rationalizations we hear today were given back then (only not internet forums to broadcast them so widely). "DLS gets all the talent due to recruiting and no boundaries." While it is true that some parents would try to get their kid into DLS for the football program, that wasn't what determined admission. I frequently heard players from other schools bragging(?) about how DLS "recruited" them. It was usually made by a kid who did not get in due to academic deficiencies. Every claim that surface publicly was proven false was the press looked into it; yes, even the there were those who were trying to find any example they could to put DLS down. DLS was hated by pretty much everyone that didn't go there.

These tales get old. Do parents try to send their kids there for the football program, yes. Do former NFL players try to send their kids there for the football program, yes. Does DLS attract top talent for the football program, yes. Do alumni talk up DLS to other's whose kids may have talent, yes. However, no of these factor into admissions.

BECAUSE of all these continued allegations, the DLS athletic staff (all sports) make it a point to have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ADMISSIONS AND SCHOLARSHIPS. In general, kids who put the effort into excelling at a sport will also put the effort into their academics (or forced by driven parents) and they will qualify for admission. So yes, many of these kids are accepted before they try out for a team. Even those on scholarship must qualify academically. Not all scholarship kids play sports...

Anyone that actually knows Lad or Eidson laughs at the idea of them recruiting... The sad thing is that they willingly share everything they do as coaches, yet many others would rather make accusations than put in the work required to excel. This is why we see the same teams over and over in the top 25 rankings. These are the ones who consistently put in the effort. Except for Bellevue, they just flat out cheated.... :)

Since when do teams have to play them? Schools like Cal High and SRV choose to play them while other schools like Foothill are now opting out.

And I have nothing but respect for those "league" schools that seek to play DLS. These coaches know that it will only make their teams better. One of these days someone in NorCal one of them will beat a Spartan football team. I hope it is one of these coaches that had the balls to play them every year.

I don't know why the DLS backers have such a problem with a team that might finish second to DLS in NCS Open having another game to play against another top NorCal team in a regional game, and if they win that a possible state game.

I don't think we do have a problem with it. I would have loved to see Folsom represent NorCal in the Div 1 those years they couldn't get past DLS. I think they were the 2nd best team in the state for at least one of those years.

I'd also love to see a NorCal team get a second chance, if they are deemed as the best team to represent. The Open should have the best team in NorCal vs the best in SoCal, and so on for the divisions. If that Div representative only lost to the Open representative, I don't see that as any degradation of the quality of representation. The committee should pick the best team available for that bowl.

don't think we do have a problem with it. I would have loved to see Folsom represent NorCal in the Div 1 those years they couldn't get past DLS. I think they were the 2nd best team in the state for at least one of those years.

I'd also love to see a NorCal team get a second chance, if they are deemed as the best team to represent. The Open should have the best team in NorCal vs the best in SoCal, and so on for the divisions. If that Div representative only lost to the Open representative, I don't see that as any degradation of the quality of representation. The committee should pick the best team available for that bowl.

Only problem with this is the south always has some of their best teams sit home every year. Bosco the last two years for example. So if we aren't going to decide who the best is by winning of the field how do we do it going forward? Draw straws, favorite flavor of the day, this is sports winning gets rewarded.

Anyone that actually knows Lad or Eidson laughs at the idea of them recruiting... The sad thing is that they willingly share everything they do as coaches, yet many others would rather make accusations than put in the work required to excel. This is why we see the same teams over and over in the top 25 rankings. These are the ones who consistently put in the effort. Except for Bellevue, they just flat out cheated.... :)

This ^^^^^

Only problem with this is the south always has some of their best teams sit home every year. Bosco the last two years for example. So if we aren't going to decide who the best is by winning of the field how do we do it going forward? Draw straws, favorite flavor of the day, this is sports winning gets rewarded.

There are several outstanding teams down south. The difference is after DLS there's a large drop off to the next best team up north.

There are several outstanding teams down south. The difference is after DLS there's a large drop off to the next best team up north.

Yes there are many outstanding programs down south. Point is many of them sit home every year because they knock each other out. Year Oceanside played Folsom many down south didn't have them as a top10 team down there. So the north gets to pick and choose their best while the south settles it on the field? I don't get that idea DLS or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT