BOD at SMS...4PM Today

jazzpt55

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
Posts, Scores and Recaps?
SMS 95 BOD 68
Beat down in Stockton 2 min left
This post was edited on 2/14 5:40 PM by jazzpt55

SMS wins by 30 I guess BOD hasn't improve enough through the season. Looks like BOD vs MM will be a game to watch n the NCS D3 playoffs.

SMS leading 99-74 with 38 seconds to go...
SMS fans are screaming at the refs for a out of bounds call
because they want to get 100....

These are adults...so annoying...
anyway final score 103-74

SMS fans are going nuts when they get 100

Why doesn't Tom show some class and back out the ball?
I see why some people want SMS to lose....

Tom cleared his bench and went to zone after the 3rd or the score would have been 100 way before the end of the fourth. I think the parents were happy to see the "non" starters making baskets and that is why the cheering was so loud. If he didn't clear his bench, SMS would have won by at least 50+. This team is at least 10 deep and no one in CA can beat them if they play this well for the remainder of their season.

By the way, Tom showed class when he took his starters completely out and stopped pressing after the third quarter. Do you think BOD would have backed out the ball?

The ball can still be backed out even with the bench. The non starters play plenty.....they have been smashing everybody....its not like the bench players never get to play because the games are so close.

Fans going crazy on 100 and screaming at the refs for an out of bounds call is weak...

assuming that's all true.....it could have been avoided if the coach just pulls the ball out.

Jazzy was there...I'm giving his take the benefit of the doubt....he has shown no anti SMS bias on previous posts. In fact his posts have been very pro SMS...

SMS is WAY up this year...BOD is down.....what goes around comes around.... curious to see what happens in the future with these 2 teams when the shoe is on the other foot.

This post was edited on 2/14 9:54 PM by northbaybbguru

I was there as well. The parents yelling at refs were coming from both sides. There will always be one or two at every game that gripe loudly. The ball couldn't be backed out, the girls were going for a rebound and the 101 point happened on a put back. The last two points happened on an inbound play with 3 sec left. BOD was playing all out until the end. What was SMS suppose to do? Lay down and stop playing? Believe me BOD will not lay down even if they were up 30, not with 8 min left and playing a team like SMS.

All teams have up and down years, but assume BOD is way down is a mistake. They are a very good team and can beat most teams in CA. Yes, I believe if the shoe was on the other foot, BOD will play SMS the same way SMS played them tonight.

This post was edited on 2/14 10:25 PM by Garcia2

I am a SMS parent. My daughter has several friends on the BOD squad and I have a great rapport with a lot of the parents. There's a mutual respect there. By no means do I think any of those parents and players want ANY team to lay down and not play them at 100%. And I know for sure if the shoe was on the other foot, BOD would have done the same thing.
One thing I think people need to keep in mind is this is, and has been a rivalry match up for years. I know cause my kid and I have been to the last 4 meetings, even prior to her attending SMS. Two elite squads playing one another full fledge, at no point should either team, pull out and show mercy. One other thing is, SMS had their bench players in for pretty much the whole 4th quarter, playing against BOD's bench. I know this was big for our bench, to see the floor in such an elite game, so I am sure it was the same for BOD. So the bench sees the floor, but from what you're saying they're not supposed to play, but instead pull the ball out and play keep away? How is that fair to them?
What I can't understand is people always target SMS, but fail to mention what their opponents do in that very same game. Did you not see the BOD female asst. coach heckling SMS pg #13, Sierra Smith, who just so happens to be my kid. It started with a player telling another player she can't dribble, kept trying to get in my kid's head. That's ok, cause that's a kid, and some would think very tactical on her part to try to take an opponent out of the game mentally. But when you have a grown person, a coach at that, shouting this out, time and time again, getting her bench involved, that is wrong.
I am not going to lie, I probably was one of those annoying parents you're talking about, because after the coach started heckling my kid, and the BOD crowd got extremely loud encouraging their kids, I admit, I got a little amped up myself. Plus bench players deserve the same kind of encouragement when they get in as the starters. At the end of the game, my kid and her BOD friends hugged, talked, and laughed like nothing took place. And like always I mingled with a lot of the BOD parents. No hard feelings, everything was left on the floor.

This post was edited on 2/15 8:13 AM by KKRoss

This post was edited on 2/15 8:15 AM by KKRoss

I just felt at that point when your opponent is obviously defeated the classy thing to do at the end is
to back the ball out...
Some coaches understand that ...some don't
I was on the opposite side of the court... actually the opposite corner..
so I didn't hear the BOD coach obviously that would be wrong

Yes and for one play you don't try to score when your winning by 25 with 38 seconds to play...
might seem strange and for some coaches... it doesn't even come to their mind...

Any anti SMS is from people that think Tom doesn't get it...
not the school or the players...some of it might have to do with those 85-6 or 95-11 scores in the past..
sometimes it's "how" you win ...

This post was edited on 2/15 6:52 AM by jazzpt55

Jazzpt

I here you because the respectful thing to do the last 3 minutes is to hold on the ball at the half court. I guess that 101 points did real good for the bench play the other bench not the starts must mean that much. Myself I would never try to score in the last 3 second of the game that only comes to bite your team some where down the line. Respect the game and the game will respect your team back. Especial when the game was over in the 3rd quarter then both bench are cleared ( as we call it garage time) no need to score in the last 35 seconds of the shot clock.

Good call Baller: There is no rationale for scoring in the last three seconds, when you win by 30. In my opinion, anyone making excuses or trying to explain that becomes part of the problem. I guess Coach Tom has some things he can still work on.

btw who was that kid number 23... she was putting on a show
handling the ball

By the way BOD played their starters until AT fouled out mid fourth. BOD went on a 10/2 run in the last 3 min and SMS was supposed to lay down? SMS did what it was suppose to do against another powerhouse. The bench did well and even if you call it garbage points, they are points that help win the game. The bench for SMS is what makes SMS so dangerous.

This post was edited on 2/15 9:20 AM by Garcia2

Just curious last 4 years they have played only in Stockton, which the exception of 1 yr where they played them twice but the other game was in AZ. BOD wouldn't have beaten SMS this year but shouldn't they alternative home court? It seems like the fair thing to do.

Honestly, I was not trying to explain away scoring with 3 seconds left in game play as I thought that was already addressed with it being a put back. You can say what you want to say, say I am part of the problem if it makes you feel better. I have played and coached, always done so with class and good sportsmanship, those who know me, know that. And for those who knows my kid, knows she's very classy and has a great attitude, on and off the court. I was simply giving another point of view. I am a SMS parent, so someone posting a comment stating we were annoying, and they can see why people want us to lose, was kind of personal for me.
One question I would like to throw out there in speaking on playing elite basketball, playing at such a high level. How many teams do you think, if given a chance, would take the opportunity to blow out SMS and/ or score 100+ points on us? My answer, every single team on our schedule. I wonder who would be on here speaking on how classless that coach was? My answer, absolutely nobody.

They did play one year in Oakland at BOD, I believe in 2013. My thoughts, as many of SMS and BOD family and fans were not able to make it in because the gym is too small, is that SMS is obviously the best place to play. my belief is that it was a mutual agreement between the coaches to play at SMS.

#23 is a freshman, Neenah Young. SMS's 3 freshmen, Decosta, Young and Johnson are really good. We know all about DeCosta, but Young and Johnson are impact players that will help the team. The freshmen accounted for almost 40 points last night.

I agree with you Garcia. I only mentioned Ari cause I thought he had them mixed up. He was speaking on ball handling, and I thought Ari did put on a ball handling clinic last night.
I was reminded by my daughter that we actually have 4 freshmen: #14 Anderson, #31 DeCosta, #32 Johnson, and #23 Young.

This post was edited on 2/16 7:21 AM by KKRoss

This post was edited on 2/16 7:23 AM by KKRoss

Aquira DeCosta 13 points
Ariel Johnson 12 points
NeenahYoung 12 points

37 points from freshmen against a good BOD team. I'm telling you this team is dangerous.

But are we talk about the scored on the starts or the bench players that we know BOD never has more the 7 player each year. So why these freshman near in the book during the good games like LBP, Konawaena, Blackman, SI, SHC, and Sierra Canyon. Playoffs are coming to the play in the close game because everyone know the bench shrinks when games get tight. My guess Tom goes 7 maybe eight during the close games and my guess is Shipp and Murray is 6 and 7 who is number 8 my guess would be Fadal. But like I said its nice to have a league when teams can get the players that don't have time playing time but it is about to be playoff SMS will only go 8 until up by 20 then the rest of the bench will get to play during the time the game is already over ( which we in the basketball world call garage time!!!).

Well Ms Young is going to be a great
One if she continues to
Work ....because I saw
Some real talent in
That kid yesterday

These freshmen are not in the book in some big games because, like any freshmen, they had to prove themselves. It is the end of the season and they have more than proven themselves. Young and Johnson are starters, just not on a nationally ranked SMS team. Stop all this bashing of the kids and let them flourish. I know down deep inside you dont want these kids to get any credit, but they are working hard and proving themselves. When does points become garbage points?

Baller, you fail to realize every single starter on SMS were bench players at one point (exception of Aquira).

Then don't put it up like they played against starts of BOD or anyone at that caliper. Yes they are good never said that they weren't but state true things garage time is garage time just like quality time is quality time. Their best quality time is in practice for them right now until some of the SMS girls graduates.Then they will move up in the line up and put in them quality playing time. Yes they had a good showing yesterday but it was in the time when the game was over. You made it like it was some thing spectacular like when DeCosta playing.

KKROSS
How much movement on the bench will come with only Shipp graduating? I seen your daughter last year started on the bench but work herself into the starting line up and I don't thing Clayton wasn't on the bench either or Tudor started as a freshman too and so did Johnson after Holloway.But this day and age players are coming right in a starting. So at the end of the year last 4 of the 5 starters started last year except DeCosta. So you cant tell me its going to be easy to break into that starting line up the next year!!!!!!!!!! Because Murray waiting in the wings to start but the year after next year 2017 their will be 3 open spots to start with 4 out for Toms' top 8 graduate.

ballersdreams, you are indeed a class act! You get on here and give your take on what the respectful thing to do is, but then turn around and start talking about players (kids). The respectful thing to do if you disagree with someone's take on events and/ or game play is just stick to your opinion about that, and not start attacking kids by downplaying their roles on a very good, nationally ranked team.

Excuse me, but BOD had all their starters in until the last 3 min. We know you're anti SMS, but attacking kids will not make your team any better. Train your bench players to become better and then maybe your team can get on SMS's level.

KKross

Did your ever see me use their names? I only put the names of starters and the 3 players off the bench. But if people are referring to the supporting cast I never use their name because their are 8 of them. So to said I used their name no need to!!!!!! People just take things to much to heart when I comes to an opinion about things the bring up and not tell the whole story. I will let people know my opinion on things like that. Yes most of the girls on SMS will start on other teams but being on SMS players must wait there time to get on the court and hope nobody with better talent transfer in before the get a chance to start. Never name kids just let them know what their against and waiting for but will never mention there name until they hit the floor during Quality Playing Time.

ballersdreams, what you have to realize is some parents, like myself, look at the big picture. For instance Sierra last year, she did not have to come off the bench for SMS. She could have started and been the star elsewhere, but that was not what was important to us. What we wanted for our kid is to be challenged both by her teammates and opponents, so she could be the very best she could be. One can say a lot about Tom, but one thing I will say is, I have never seen my kid work this hard for any other coach. And like I tell my kid, it's not who starts the game, but who finishes. Starting is way overrated to me. You don't believe me watch a South Carolina game. Freshman Aja Wilson does not start, but she is one of the top scorers, and is on the floor in the last seconds of all the big games. Starters are not always the best players, but instead those who have paid their dues and worked hard in practice to get there. My thought is, next year there will be an opportunity for anyone who wants it and puts in the work, to be in that starting line up. My kid knows to keep putting in the work, that nothing is given to you, that although she is a starter, does not mean one of her teammates can't step up and take it.

This post was edited on 2/15 11:44 AM by KKRoss

KKross
I realize parents understand they know what the are getting their kid into. But like you said players who work hard maybe break in to the line up but maybe another star player transfers in and has to wait until Jan to play then what, We all know their are stars that will transfer at the end of each year. What some parents don't realize what real going on when another player transfer and take they place because they where there first. Tom will always play the best players that fit into his program no matter what year they transfer in from another school. I you can tell me he not looking for the next Decosta to come right in and start. That just the animal of the game and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'd stop reacting to Jazzy being annoyed. He says stuff to stir up arguments (or dance, if you will). Quite successfully, in this case. His initial post asking for scores and recaps seemed to imply he wasn't going to be there. Then he expresses his annoyance as if he was. Was he or wasn't he? Doesn't matter, he's got folks dancing. My own opinion--SMS and BOD are major programs with major talent, they're big girls and can put up with a butt-whippin (if they can't, it's time they learned how). Each program is on the plus side of a whuppin' with regularity. Nobody died. Non-issue.

Doesn't every program look for a DeCosta or the next star? The girls at SMS know they have to work hard to get into the rotation. Not all girls start out as stars, but with hard work, they become a star. Ever heard "a star is born"?

You realize SMS is more than bb right? Education, experience, connections, history... Should I go on?

Every SMS player understands their role, not everyone can be a superstar. NO team has 10 superstars including SMS. You're hoping SMS fails, but here's another saying you should take to heart, "if you cant beat them, join them".

I was at the game although I came in.... late as my dance card was filled at the In-Shape
on March at Pershing till 5PM....

I did see the foolishness...in the last 8 mins ....

Games over..... we got a big one coming
up Friday SI at Mitty...

Oh I know SMS went after DeCosta from deep Sac. They are always looking for the next best player nothing wrong with that.at all. Most the time a star is born then join SMS like Decosta, Smith, and Clayton. So is star born or are they going to a school to get more exposure they other teams get.

I love since the CIF open the beat of the best gets to play for the state title right now is 1 for NORCAL and 1 for SOCAL Open state Championship. Will SMS win the state this year Championship this because last year BOD should have been there but they was disqualify for to many games. But last year everyone pick Mater Dei was suppose to win in the SOCAL but LBP won. The question will SMS win the NORCAL or will some else win this.

And if Ayanna Carter
Was still playing
Basketball her sophomore
Season LBP would be
Number one in the nation

SMS # 1 n nation next yr to start the season next yr Decosta is better than Clark right now n my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT