ADVERTISEMENT

BOD at SMS...4PM Today

Jazzpt

LBP still might be there or Chaminade you never know games have to be played not just given. Mater Dei been the favorite since the Open Started and haven't won yet. BOD has the first and LBP has the second. Who will when the Open this year is the question??? Never know who beat who on any given game the ball always takes a different bounce. Number 1 next year is next this year still has to be played to see show wins Norcal and Socal.

It sound like some people are writing the year off because they are think about next year already!!!! Or am I missing some thing because this year isn't over yet by far with the sections and state still to happen that what all the talk should be about right now!!!!! The question like it is ever year how much movement of players come this year when the school year is over?????? But like I'm saying this year is not over don't need to talk about all that at another time and date after the seasons are over!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am not going to get involved in the back and forth, but I will address one comment made by KKross. You said anyone that knows your kid knows she is classy and has a great attitude on and off the court....First, your daughter is a phenominal player, maybe you had taken a bathroom break when your daughter started clapping in the faces of the BOD players, or when she bent over and got right next to a BOD players legs and clapped, or when she stood in another players face within an inch and put her hand up and made a talking (like pacman)motion...this went on for a good while....in your mind is that characteristic of a player who is classy and has a great attitude on the court????? Take it from me (my daughter is older than yours and truthfully without a scholarship to play ball, partly because of her attitude)(She is D1 material)....college coaches do not like that....passion is one thing, but down right disrespecting the other team is something else....just a little food for thought.

Impressive. If they continue to share the ball they could make a big run like Kentucky!!!!!

california_bball, like I said in my post, my kid has several friends on the BOD (AT, AR, Aerial, Zakiya, Maya), and playful trash talking was done the whole night. A BOD player heckled my kid, along with a coach, loud enough for everyone to hear, shouting take the ball, she can't dribble. Your perception of what actually happened is very understandable being you don't know the relationships. But like I said, those same players and Sierra were laughing and hugging after the game.
I will tell you this, I had a talk with Sierra when we got home last night. I told her that perception is everything, to watch some of her gestures as some may judge her because of it, even though we know it's not coming from a bad place. I can't wait to show her this as an example. Life lesson learned.
I stand behind what I said in my post, and not because I think my kid is infallible, and doesn't make bad decisions or react inappropriately at times, but because of what I hear from others, teachers, coaches, parents, supporters, etc. BTW california_bball, Sierra received the Jim Capoot Memorial Award at the WCJ for exemplifying inspiration and sportsmanship. In 3 days of game play, out of all the players in the Platinum Division, someone saw enough in my kid to think she deserved the award. Sierra knows the ones who REALLY know you, know the REAL you. The ones who choose to judge you off of what they heard and/ or off of one incident which may have displayed uncharacteristic behavior, rather than trying get to know the real you, well those people don't matter.
Like I tell my kid, there's always going to be someone looking for something to say, looking to point out the negative, to assassinate your character, and that's ok. You can't please everybody, just have to focus on being a better you for YOU!!!

This post was edited on 2/15 8:20 PM by KKRoss

This post was edited on 2/16 8:03 AM by KKRoss

Since you were at the game you must have seen BOD #4 talking crap the whole game even losing by 30 points. Then -#15 , walking in front of the SMS bench and talking to the entire SMS team after she fouled out . They all could have handled things better, but the referees were horrible and made the situation worst

If your are talking about Robertson as been a person on the court talk because she tries to get in the other players head for the game. That's smart basketball that's what NBA Player Gary Paton made a living off. On the court there is always some thing going on the fans don't see. The player have to have real thick skin to play against a player that's trying to break another player down mentally. All that talk didn't mean any harm because if it did the refs would have T them up.

And Robertson talking all the way to University of Kansas that did stop her at all !!!!!!!
This post was edited on 2/15 8:55 PM by ballersdreams

I went to the game as well and sat right behind SMS bench. The refs did let the unsportsmanlike conduct by players from both teams go way to far....at the end of the day, these are young ladies...KKross, I am glad you used this opportunity to teach Sierra that perception can affect the way people see you who may not really know you...I believe there was a lot of trash talking, but the stands couldn't really hear what was being said, just that mouths were moving...unfortunately, it was easy to see your daughter because she was showing what she was doing....that definitely doesn't make it any worse than what others were saying, only difference is the stands could see it....I have talked to your daughter and she was very classy and respectful....passionatedad, as far as what AR said, she did say, "how much you guys paying the refs?" as she walked by the SMS bench....and #4 was having an attitude on the court, however far worse than that (in my opinion) was when Tom followed his player (who got a technical) to the end of the bench and then screamed, what the f@ck were you thinking!" at her....that is inappropriate to say the least...maybe even worse than that is that the assistant coaches and the three other staff members sitting at the end on the baseline heard it and all turned the other cheek. I have known that player for years and she is a great player. I love her dearly and she did not deserve that. There is a great quote from Remember the Titans where one of the players is asked why he has such a bad attitude...his response was,"my attitude reflects leadership."....I gotta wonder if that type of language directed at a young lady is acceptable in Catholic education...I doubt it!

This post was edited on 2/15 9:31 PM by szahniser

Bottom line, SMS is meshing at the right time and they are championship material. How many teams you know have a bench that can score more than half the points? This team consists of 1 freshman, 1sophomore, and 3 juniors that start on a nationally ranked team. Who cares what parents gripe, who Tom starts, why no one pulls the ball out... etc. The question should be who is going to beat this team?

Interesting , because no one was sitting behind the bench. Lol, don't try to bad mouth the coach , obviously you have a problem with him . Why don't you go talk to him . Just don't make up lies. SMS is a first class program and have been for years. There seems to be a lot of jealousy. Great job SMS , your better than expected. Good luck

I agree with you ballersdreams. That was another part of the conversation I had with my kid. Trash talking, not name calling, trying to get in someone's head is very tactical, a great move by an opponent, and should not be taken personally. I am not one to name drop, personally attack someone's kid and their character. What would I or my kid gain by doing that? Outside of the coach getting involved In the heckling, I really didn't have a problem with what transpired. Just a bunch of competitive kids, playing in a very competitive, rival game. Everything was left on the floor as far as I was concerned. It's just when you have people making comments, on an open forum, which are very one sided, pointing out what a group of parents did vs the other, and what one player did, when there were others who were blatantly the ones stirring it up, is wrong.
And by the way california_bball, I showed my baby your comment. While she does admit clapping her hands as a gesture to get her and her team fired up, and maybe responding to some trash talking, she says that some of what you stated were not actions of hers. I can't wait to get my hand on the DVD so I can review it for myself to see what exactly transpired. Yet another lesson for my kid, at 14 years old, to learn. You definitely have to have thick skin. This world of basketball is brutal. I tell her this often, but it's nothing like experiencing situations head on, to prepare you for what is to come because like I just told her, it doesn't get any easier.

This post was edited on 2/15 9:09 PM by KKRoss

This post was edited on 2/15 9:42 PM by KKRoss

Thanks szahniser! Like her mom, Sierra wears her heart on her sleeves. We're very transparent, maybe a little too much at times, which I will admit, can be a problem. I think it's a little too late for me, at 38 I am pretty much who I am going to be, but it's not for Sierra. She still has a lot of time and room for growth. She's very good at learning from her mistakes, so I am sure she will learn from this, and move on. I've been telling her this since she was probably in the 4th grade, "Perception is EVERYTHING"! I think it's time for me to get a poster printed, frame it, and hang it up in her room as a reminder.

Passionatedad,
I am not lieing. I was sitting behind the bench along with a parent whose 3 children play in Sac, the lady who trains many of the SMS players, several players from Brookside, Sac High, and JV players from SMS...so, nice try in defending Tom...ask the player that he said it too...everyone heard him...funny how you didn't question how I heard what AR said....if you need anymore info, perhaps I should describe what I look like or what I was wearing...check my references...lol, my name is Shireen Zahniser and I am a parent of a Brookside player. By the way, I cheered for SMS the entire game. My daughter has played with half of SMS varsity team and is friends with those girls....there is no reason for me to make that up...ask the parents from your team who know me....I keep it 100 all the time...when someone is wrong, they're wrong....and adults, like yourself, should not defend wrong actions, especially directed at a child....
Sincerely,
Blonde hair (after I highlight it)
Blue eyes
5'2"
Slightly overweight

Do you know me now?

Does the bench give SMS that many points in a game that is tight In my opinion they don't because in tight game Tom only goes 7 or 8 deep. TCAL games real don't matter and everyone knows that because the league is horrible except SMS and Lincoln. Playoffs are this week but in section after first or second round games will get tight and he will only play 7 or 8 players just like most teams. A team can be real deep on the bench but in the end will never know how deep they real are until the play against starters of a good team like SI or MM during the open. But I will get off this irrelevant subject since its not talk about any thing do to starters blowout out a team then get to rest for the rest of the game.

EVERYONE KNOW LEAGUE IS A PLACE TO STACK THE STATS THAT PLAYERS COULD GET AGAINST THE TOUGH TEAMS. STACK THE STATS TO HELP THE LOOK OF PLAYERS BUT THATS ALWAYS A GIVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smith is fine playing the game like she knows how to play the way she plays. Nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeves at all. Just know when and where you can do it. She will be fine don't change a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post was edited on 2/15 9:32 PM by ballersdreams

You said enough , your a brookside parent. Don't try to make SMS look bad . When the player got a technical she went and sat next to Tom . So were you really there?

Ballers
Who gives a shit when the bench scores? Now you're making me mad, you make no sense stating bench players will get tested when they play starters of a good team. They were tested last night when they scored and defended against two D1 seniors. Tom will go deeper thn 8 in the next few weeks, count as he puts them in. You make it sound like you're so knowledgeable about Tom's players, but you have been wrong about everything you predicted about them. Including SMS being a three player team.

I guess try to clean thinks up before again like early in the season. But I Heard thinks have slowly going back to normal because is stats time league time. Minutes don't lie about stats and how long it take to get to 20 points in a game. I would like to see how to clean up Lodi but that's another story for another day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, no she didn't....she sat at the end of the bench for a little bit, then went and sat by Tom. You are a very bitter person. I have never once said anything negative about SMS parents so I don't understand your comment about me being a Brookside parent...I am friends with many of them...you are out of line...as parents, we should cheer for all the young ladies on all the teams...they all have an opportunity to play in college at various levels.Btw, what's your real name since you want to talk mess behind your username...must make you feel like a big man, huh? If you want to talk man to woman, ask any number of SMS parents for my phone number...most of them have it...by the way, everyone makes mistakes, even Tom...he was wrong for what he said...it takes a big person to admit when they are wrong, so I guess if he apologizes to the player, the parents, and the team then that will speak for itself, just as it will speak for itself if he does not apologize. Perhaps your passion is clouding your mind!

We can agree to disagree I guess . I personally have nothing against brookside, but some of the brookside people have continually criticized SMS thats all

It seem like I'm hitting it right on the nose because your are upset about the truth. Like the saying " the truth will set you free" honor them words and it wont bother you. And you was talk about the big 3 earlier in the season its still the same the score book don't lie. But I see things are going back to normal again because stats tell it all. I guess some players need more stats then others because they need it. But at the end of the day and game stats don't lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right stats dont lie. Looks like everyone has the right points for the shots attempted. Of course the starters are going to have more points than players that come off the bench. One thing you cant deny is that SMS is a good team and will go far this post season.

Yes I told you that in the being SMS will go far in the playoffs never denied that at all. I just mentions when game are tight all teams play only 7 to 8 players a game. Just be honest because its the only way if a team is good and deep in close games all coaches cut their bench time back that's all I was saying. When benches are clear its a good thing for those that don't get to play that much during the year. But if there was Super leagues a lot bench players wont play that much because teams would have good games every time they set on the floor. This will make teams cut their roster some to 10 or 12 because 13 to 15 probably wont get any time at all with a rough schedule.

Ballers
When you look at stats, do you just look at points? Or do you look across the board?

This post was edited on 2/15 11:01 PM by Garcia2

I look at the whole thing shoot attempts 3's 2's and free throws. Look at rebounds, assist, turnovers, misc. deflections, steals, blocks, games played charges and personal fouls. Like Smith with 11 charges that's good defense. Smith and Clayton are very aggressive on defense because of there PF and their steals. I can evaluate most player within the first 3 minutes of a game and know their tendencies are when shoot dribble or if they like to play defense or not.

This post was edited on 2/16 1:22 AM by ballersdreams

ballersdreams, I am happy and really appreciate you editing your last comment! My thoughts, if you don't have something nice to say about these players (kids), people need not post it. I can take people coming at me all day with their opinions about me,even though they don't really know me, but just think when it comes to kids, people should stop with the name dropping. Believe me, there are many kids who follow Nor Cal Preps. A lot of what is being said can be very hurtful!
Not just speaking on you ballersdreams, but to EVERYBODY posting on this board. It is VERY classless and childish to talk about kids. Let's keep it at a team level and stop being general and dropping names.

ballersdreams, I really appreciate you editing your last comment! My thoughts, if you don't have something nice to say about these players (kids), people need not post it. I can take people coming at me all day with their opinions about me, even though they don't really know me. I just think when it comes to kids, people should stop with the name dropping. Believe me, there are many kids who follow Nor Cal Preps. A lot of what is being said can be very hurtful!
Not just speaking on you ballersdreams, but to EVERYBODY posting on this board. It is VERY classless, disheartening, and childish to talk about kids. Let's keep it at a team level, stop being general, and dropping names.

This post was edited on 2/16 8:23 AM by KKRoss

This post was edited on 2/16 8:27 AM by KKRoss

KKross

I edit because like your said I don't like to drop names but some people on here try to say I don't know what I'm talking about. I have a lot of knowledge in basketball that some don't have because I played at a high level for years have a lot of insight of the game. I know how these girls should be treat and if coaches are miss treating I will let people know what is happening because some people can see it but that's my opinion. These young ladies on these teams need to be treat like a person not a number. Like having to many kids on a team but their is good and bad thing about that. Good thing is the players that teams are trying to develop have a chance to play against top players. Bad thing is if these teams are in close games all year 11-15 wont get to see the floor that much or at all. Most players in the 11-15 would be good JV players so the can get the feel of the game.

california_bball, just wanted to let you know me and the kid just finished watching the game. Not going to lie, I didn't know what to expect, as I thought since what you posted was far from what I had seen, that maybe I did miss a thing or two. However, none of what you posted was caught by the camera, no clapping in players faces, bending down and clapping next to a BOD player's legs, nor putting her hand up making a Pacman like motion. To me making the Pacman motion, would make sense though, and if I saw it, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, per she was being taunted by a couple of BOD players as well as the asst. coach. You could hear the asst. coach yelling in the background, SHE CAN'T DRIBBLE.
There were a couple of moments when my kid was in the game, but was out of the view of the camera, like during a couple of freethrows. Those times, I know I had my eyes on her as I was concerned with her because of the taunting. Her father and I were watching her, trying to make eye contact with her to motion for her to settle down.
One thing I did catch on video which I didn't see in the game, is what happened when one of BOD's playersreceived a technical foul. What it look like is she received the tech for yelling in Sierra's face, SEE, SHE CAN't DRIBBLE, after Sierra turned the ball over, and after all players had been warned by the refs to stop with the trash talking.
I'll tell you what my kid said, cause usually what comes out of the mouth of a child, is as honest as it gets. She said, that although she believes she let some of the taunting get to her, she felt what you stated on this forum was an exaggeration, and does not reflect her actions during the game, or the person she is. While hurtful, she said she has learned a lot from this experience.

This post was edited on 2/16 3:00 PM by KKRoss

Let's stop the madness every team needs a bench??? Some are better than others !!! But you need them !!! not just for games PRACTICE . When your in tight games 6-7-8 play !!! High school ' college ' pro !!! & you never allow your team to score if you can run the shot clock down??? To end a game ???
With that said if TOM said what most heard WOW .... No respect ....

So I read all these comments and it was quite entertaining to say the least.
I just wonder had BOD won would this even had been posted?
eek.r191677.gif

Yes but I think it would have been different because everyone knew SMS was going to win because Thomas is not in game shape or 100% ready and BOD is real not as deep as the are use too. BOD needs a lot of help after this year when the to SR guards Graduate. Their bench is just like most high school teams not that good at all but SMS is better the average bench with plays that don't get that much time. When the benches cleared that day it was even close because they had their heart take away all ready but to be happy shooting in the last position with least the 35 second was a classless act in basketball. Act like always come back to hunt that team in the end mark my word because less then an Open State Championship will be a BUST for SMS this year. IF that happen it means SMS haven't won a state championship since the open has started and they haven't represented Norcal yet.

Some people areThinking about next year when Players Start Transferred from school at the end of the year its hard to say who will be at the top in the nation next year. School don't even know who is staying or leaving in which school these days with all the movement for one reason or another. The only thing people know right now its about to be playoff time and one wrong move and team will be out.
This post was edited on 2/18 12:54 PM by ballersdreams

I probably should have responded when this thread was first started, but a chronic condition among'st other distractions came up. Most of the issues were then dealt with. But it seems that some will just not let this go. So I will address some of the ones I feel were not quite clarified and if left hanging will be brought up continually. Since I will not respond to a obvious no existent person I will direct my post at the individual that seemed to have triggered these issues.

Jazz --I am not going to assume that your perspective is clouded by an agenda, but it makes some sense that it might be because of the belief that SMS runs up scores as a rule. You have as much said so in one of your posts. Often pre-established perspectives will influence our perceptions of any present reality, and that at least explains to me your take on the end of the BoD game. So I will respond to both your preconceived perspective in contrast to a more reasonable interpretation of the events of the game.

To start with the TriCity conference is pretty weak with the exception on LIncoln High. Even they are not in the same class with SMS. It is not an ideal situation for any of the teams in that league. To start with Gonzalves did not coach the first half of the season. Now you quoted some scores. But not actually being at the games it would be easy to take those scores out of context. Let me give you one example- an extreme one to be sure but still it conveys a pattern. Let me convey what happened in their last game with the worst team in the league Tokay. The bottom of the SMS line up is vastly superior to the starting line up of Tokay. They are really weak. Despite bringing in the subs early in the 1st Q. and playing the bottom of the line up the second Q the score was still ridiculous by the half. So after the first five points were scored in the second half they went nothing but drawing shot clock violations. They only scored 2 pts on foul shots. Tokay still only could score 6 points in the second half with absolutely no pressure. The only thing else they could have done was all sit down. Yet looking at the score some might think they were running up the score. One needs too look at the score by quarters to see if the score is being run up. A lot depends on the flow of the game and whether it is somewhat competitive along with other variables but there is never and attempt to run up a score or humiliate another team.

Lets look at the scores from the BoD game objectively. The game was played in three stage's. The first stage being when the game was close. The second stage when SMS pulled away and the third when BoD was playing even or even gaining ground. Three different games in one. The first Q score had a 13 point differential. That was raised to 24 by the half. the end of the 3rd Q saw a differential of 34 with the final being 29. So we can see that Bod actually played better than SMS in the 4th Q even considering the last scores.

Lets consider the dynamics of the latter stages. First contrary to some poster BS the team uses 10 and often 11 in their rotation. One player hasn't dressed for quite a few games. Those freshman that some entity claims to only play in garbage time are used in the rotation and their time is dictated how well they are playing. They were part of the rotation before it got to the later stages of the game. The team just doesn't have enough players to play the end of the line up with out including some of the rotation players.

The team remembers the SC game in the Mlk classic when they had a 32pt half time lead and came close to losing the game. They also had a 20+ point lead against SHC and they came back and came close. They learned their lesson. You do not let up and allow an athletic team to come back on you. Mo is fickle and can change sides very quickly. As was pointed out Bod still had their starters and best players in the line up pressing hard long after SMS was playing the bottom of the line up. Once the score got up to 30+ points somewhere in the 3rd Q the game became very competitive. Both teams were playing hard. With 1min to play the score was 97 to 68 and Bod made a quick run to 97 - 74 to the delight of the BoD crowd. That was when Johnson and Young responded with the last scores. And as was pointed out one was on a put back and another on a steal. The game has ceased being a blow out once the game settled in at around 30 pts. It was back and forth. It is difficult to back a ball out when you are being pressed and double teamed. Bod had not stopped playing, Add the trash talking and those frosh were not going to get shown up without responding. The cheering was for the way they responded.There was nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike in their scores. They were not beating down a far inferior opposition. BoD was actually winning the fourth Q. Those were very good athletic BoD players on the floor who were making them look bad until they responded. It seemed the only objection came from Jazz who came in late and some posters who were not even there. Of course one poster always makes a habit of commenting on games it didn't see or situations purely on speculation.

I can not fault Bod for their intensity and for continuing to play starters. This turned out to be an intense and competitive game as it wound down. Both teams are getting ready for the playoffs and the competition will benefit them both. This is especially true for the frosh who got the experience of having to carry the team against super good and athletic players like BoD has. I would never consider this game to be a beat down. The score wasn't close but BoD never gave up and played very competitively for much of the game. Lots of respect for that team. You can be behind on the scoreboard and still not lose. You are only beat when you give up. No they were not beat down. They are still a good team and on a different day the score might have been a lot closer. SMS is just a very deep team that is playing at their best right now.

As to the issue with the SMS coach. I have been to some practices and games and he has a tendency to substitute different letters or pronunciations for that word. I did not hear what was said in that respect but I is not beyond the realm of possibility for some one to slip up under those circumstances. I for one used to never use profanity. For one I feel to much respect for the meaning of words to misuse them. Even profanity has meaning and should not be misused. Distort it's meaning by misuse or over use and you destroy the concept of anything being profane. It should convey shock. I know that in our society presently we hear it as common usage on the streets and I find having to stop my self from uttering it myself. It might be easy to slip up, not make our usual substitution and mis-speak. Being constantly bombarded by them they become etched into our brains. We have become anesthesized to the concept of profanity by the mis-use of words that should only be used convey the concept. Distort the meaning of a word and you destroy the concept that it is used to convey. So now, it seems , that nothing shocks us anymore.

Willtalk with all that you are talking about I will have to question your Coaching basketball IQ and your playing on the court basketball IQ. I have nothing to say when your are talking about a bunch of BS I might have to put on some Deep Water Fish Boots for what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT