ADVERTISEMENT

BOD event on the 15th

The closest analogy is De La Salle in high school football from 1992 forward. The Spartans were undefeated in Northern California until Junipero Serra of San Mateo beat 'em a couple of times. The coach of Serra (Walsh) is a former DLS player under legendary HC Ladacouer (sp?). I'm certain that he adopted some of basic principles that he was taught.

Does anyone else find the talent gap a little pathetic? The fact JV Mitty can probably beat any CCS schools varsity by 20 plus besides maybe pinewood and Sacred Heart Cathedral? BOD is a premier Bay Area program this year and can’t hang within 50 points? BOD can beat some average girls basketball teams in the Bay Area by 100 points. Mitty 15th best player would probably be a star at any other school in the Bay Area. Do they really have kids coming from the North Bay? Thought I read that recently. Regardless, The talent gap in girls basketball is out of control. Maybe I’m just an old man screaming at clouds. There are some great programs and Coaches in the CCS that will never have a chance because a kid that may have played for them is poached in the 3rd grade.
Yes..she's from Sebastopol...a sophomore big. Sitting behind Woliczko. She'll never play a second in a meaningful game as Wol will get the run.

I guess it's the age old question...would u rather be a "jersey wearer" on a great/national champion potential team and never play in a big game but get your run in WCAL blowouts? Or..stay at home in Sebastopol...play for Analy and be a 4yr starter, score 1000+ points and probably go down as an Analy HOF inductee at some point.

She'll be part of some great seasons..but again never play a meaningful minute... and be forgotten when she graduates.... or be an all time great at a lesser school but not have the national championship run/season experience.

That's an awful lot of traveling/moving to never play.

Last edited:
Yes..she's from Sebastopol...a sophomore big. Sitting behind Woliczko. She'll never play a second in a meaningful game as Wol will get the run.

I guess it's the age old question...would u rather be a "jersey wearer" on a great/national champion potential team and never play in a big game but get your run in WCAL blowouts? Or..stay at home in Sebastopol...play for Analy and be a 4yr starter, score 1000+ points and probably go down as an Analy HOF inductee at some point.

She'll be part of some great seasons..but again never play a meaningful minute... and be forgotten when she graduates.... or be an all time great at a lesser school but not have the national championship run/season experience.

That's an awful lot of traveling/moving to never play.

I get your point and agree. Unfortunately a lot of the parents of student athletes never played sports beyond high school or high school at that. So they might have unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Except...the top 8-10 players from Mitty will get D1 scholarships. Even 11-14 will get looks and D2 or D3 interest. They're facing great players in practice every day, getting top notch coaching and hitting weights with quality trainers in great facilities. The experience just doesn't compare to a public high school.

Maybe the Analy star draws college interest, but if so, it's likely because of AAU.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Except...the top 8-10 players from Mitty will get D1 scholarships. Even 11-14 will get looks and D2 or D3 interest. They're facing great players in practice every day, getting top notch coaching and hitting weights with quality trainers in great facilities. The experience just doesn't compare to a public high school.

Maybe the Analy star draws college interest, but if so, it's likely because of AAU.
That's a fair take and I agree...just being on the team will draw interest

I think saying the top 8-10 will draw D1 looks is inflated but being on that team will draw college looks none the less.

There are 7 with D1 offers right now (5 starters + Tee McCarthy and Jordan Bowar).

I think it's just a matter of time before one or two more get them.

Reactions: GBBall4L
There are 7 with D1 offers right now (5 starters + Tee McCarthy and Jordan Bowar).

I think it's just a matter of time before one or two more get them.
When you break it down regardless of grade class that makes sense. I was thinking per class but McKenna is only a sophomore also so when you throw all the classes together I can see it.

Carondelet's JVs are 16-2. Lost to Mitty 64-10.

San Ramon's JVs are 16-1. Lost to Mitty 83-36.

Mitty's JVs would be in contention for most varsity league titles.

One reason? They are all sophomores who were in the system last year, many at the JV level.

And here's a sobering thought. The Mitty JV coach told me the top five on their unbeaten frosh team beat up on his JVs when they scrimmage.

One reason for this dominance is that it's very hard for players and parents of middle school girls to evaluate how good they are and how they will fit in high school. Naturally, everyone thinks they're better than they are -- don't we all? -- and so they believe they will go to Mitty or Folsom or wherever and be a star.

Once they get there, it takes a year or two for the realization to set in that being a star at their local public school might have been more fun -- but by then, the player has friends and a life at Mitty or wherever and transferring is unlikely.

If I were coaching, why would I want to poach kids in the 3rd grade. As a coach, I would be very bothered beating teams anywhere from 20 to 50 points every night, no fun at all. So why not let the talent base go to their respective high schools and end up playing competitive games every night. Let the talent spread out nataully, stop trying to build dinynasties in HS. Coaches should not be poaching kids at any age and making conditions in order to play on their AAU teams, Examples, like you can't play for my AAU team unless you plan to go to the high school they coach at or just being able to build strong relationships with kids, mom's and dad's. What do you think an AAU program who is charging you a boat load of money is going to tell you, yep, that's right, whatever you want to hear. This entire equity thing can be improved if coaches would stop! Leave it to the AAU and EYBL programs to build whatever they want. Or how about making the transfer rule much tougher, a few years ago it was made easier to transfer, the sit out period was shorten and now we're fighting it, makes no sense. Unless you have moved you can not play your sport for two seasons period. It sounds harsh but shouldn't be difficult to manage all the resources are available. How about more education for players and parents regarding the realities and truths of playing beyoud high school. Each section office should implement an informational packet and have seminars to help families understand the realities. Instead of fighting the problem invest in it!

Reactions: scvalfan
If I were coaching, why would I want to poach kids in the 3rd grade. As a coach, I would be very bothered beating teams anywhere from 20 to 50 points every night, no fun at all. So why not let the talent base go to their respective high schools and end up playing competitive games every night. Let the talent spread out nataully, stop trying to build dinynasties in HS. Coaches should not be poaching kids at any age and making conditions in order to play on their AAU teams, Examples, like you can't play for my AAU team unless you plan to go to the high school they coach at or just being able to build strong relationships with kids, mom's and dad's. What do you think an AAU program who is charging you a boat load of money is going to tell you, yep, that's right, whatever you want to hear. This entire equity thing can be improved if coaches would stop! Leave it to the AAU and EYBL programs to build whatever they want. Or how about making the transfer rule much tougher, a few years ago it was made easier to transfer, the sit out period was shorten and now we're fighting it, makes no sense. Unless you have moved you can not play your sport for two seasons period. It sounds harsh but shouldn't be difficult to manage all the resources are available. How about more education for players and parents regarding the realities and truths of playing beyoud high school. Each section office should implement an informational packet and have seminars to help families understand the realities. Instead of fighting the problem invest in it!
it is the job as a parent to place your child in the best situations to succeed in life. mitty has students who do not play sports and just want to go to a private high school. there are plenty of options in santa clara county for private schools but mitty offers the best of both worlds according to the parents of the athletes. why would you make your child go somewhere they do not want to be if you have the means to send them to better?
coach phillips does this for a living, she isnt here to win by 3 just so the opponents parents are happy. nor would i want a child of mine playing for a coach who wants that.

Reactions: ClayK and TheHillZ
Does anyone else find the talent gap a little pathetic? The fact JV Mitty can probably beat any CCS schools varsity by 20 plus besides maybe pinewood and Sacred Heart Cathedral? BOD is a premier Bay Area program this year and can’t hang within 50 points? BOD can beat some average girls basketball teams in the Bay Area by 100 points. Mitty 15th best player would probably be a star at any other school in the Bay Area. Do they really have kids coming from the North Bay? Thought I read that recently. Regardless, The talent gap in girls basketball is out of control. Maybe I’m just an old man screaming at clouds. There are some great programs and Coaches in the CCS that will never have a chance because a kid that may have played for them is poached in the 3rd grade.

I think saying the top 8-10 will draw D1 looks is inflated but being on that team will draw college looks none the less.

Girls aren't being "poached". Mitty's program, as with Pinewood's, WP, Clet and others offer an attractive destination for players and their families that desire a true college prep experience. Does Lowell in The City "poach' high academic achievers? (Note: there's a waiting list to get in.) And to be clear, Mitty and their club program never put conditions on attending the school to play on their club team - that's just a flat out lie. Recent Cagers' program had players from Leland, Carlmont (2), Los Gatos, EV among others that played. Additionally, their higher profile players are not only free to play other programs, but in many cases encouraged. This even goes back to the EBX days and D. Robinson. Bottom line: build something players want and they'll show up - no poaching needed.

What! You rather play in a game and it not be competitive, hmm. It's no fun beating teams badly and there is no upside for either team, zero! For me I want to be challenged individually, and most importantly it be a fight to the end. We can all learn much more about yourselves and our team in a competitive environment, life lessons through the game we love!

Parents should be able to do what they feel is best for their child -- and education and athletics is supposed to be about children, not some fantasy of competitive equity. The wheel will turn and Mitty will fade a little, but just like De La Salle in football for many years, when transfers were much more closely policed, sometimes dynasties emerge.

I do agree, though, that better education and information for parents would be very helpful. Then again, who's going to tell dad his seventh grade phenom (in his mind) is at best a rotation player at a middling high school?

What! You rather play in a game and it not be competitive, hmm. It's no fun beating teams badly and there is no upside for either team, zero! For me I want to be challenged individually, and most importantly it be a fight to the end. We can all learn much more about yourselves and our team in a competitive environment, life lessons through the game we love!
So coaches can schedule more than half of their games. And games within a league usually contain several competitive games no matter what your level.

Which means that even if you have a game or three or five of your 26 that are not competitive, you can work through those. In Mitty's case, the TOC was competitive, and so will games be against Cardinal Newman and Folsom and Sierra Canyon or Etiwanda. They are playing for higher stakes than most teams or programs can ever dream of. Would you like to play for a national championship? That's what Mitty is playing for. The vast majority of teams are playing for a spot in a section playoff, or a better result than last year, which is fine. But you're saying Mitty shouldn't strive to be the best in the nation?

I agree 100% families should always have a choose, as well as, building something and let them come. Regarding the conditions comment, I believe you that the Cagers program makes no condition, others may. Lie? The relationship part is nothing to blink your eye at. I do stand behind the competitive equity needs to change. Its just not fun!

Are we still underestimating Sue and what the Mitty coaching staff can accomplish??? She’s a sophomore on the number 1 team in the country and that’s not enough for anyone? I’ve never heard of Analy (had to look it up) and the school doesn’t strike me as a school to provide a college prep experience, nor can they provide the talent Mitty brings in practice everyday. Why don’t we look at the careers of these kids post High School. Look at what Sue has done for the players at Mitty. She doesn’t prepare them just to get into college, she prepares them for what’s to come at the next level.

Countless players who had the skill/talent for varsity, anywhere else, played frosh and JV (some for two/three years) with limited minutes once they got to varsity and still played college ball. They could have dominated their local, mediocre public/private school, but chose to trust Sue Phillips. These girls all went to college & are showing success. Examples from JUST the last 4 years:

Maya Hernandez: LMU

Haley Hernandez : UCI

Siena Guttaduaro: UTSA

Katie Springs:UCSD (top 50 in nation in rebounding)

Sydney Bourland: Cal Poly(starter/leads team in minutes)

Ashley Hiraki: Santa Clara (starter)

Amelia Scharpf: UCI

Noemi Bariteau: Seattle U

Makayla Moore: Seattle U(even a intermittent starter as a senior at Mitty)

Elle Hanson: Point Loma

Layla Woods: Chapman (only played 1 year varsity)

April Chan: MIT

Shout out to all these kids for staying at Mitty, fighting and not taking the easy path. Shoutout to the parents that understand the game & who understand that their kid may not be the next D-Rob & Haley Jones, but stay the course.

Sue knows what she’s doing. She’s the best for a reason.

At the end of the day we can't fault a kid or parent for doing what they feel is best for their kids whether they stay at Mitty or not. 10 years from now no one cares whether they stay at Mitty or Left and these kids should be taught to make decisions based on what works best for them. So if the kids stay at Mitty because they wanted to stay then props to the kids. If the kid left Mitty because they wanted to leave then props to the kid also. Props to the kids that made the decision that works best for them.

Reactions: ClayK
My original comment was about transfer kids not about the choice all kids and families should have as they enter high school. The transfer thing needs to be controlled, we can’t have kids transferring all over at will. That’s not necessarily a good lesson to teach your kids either, when things aren't going their way just jump ship. Look if we got tougher on the transfer rules that would help. Sure make your educated decision when entering high school and stick with it. Can’t always run from situations that all of a sudden don’t suite you.

My original comment was about transfer kids not about the choice all kids and families should have as they enter high school. The transfer thing needs to be controlled, we can’t have kids transferring all over at will. That’s not necessarily a good lesson to teach your kids either, when things aren't going their way just jump ship. Look if we got tougher on the transfer rules that would help. Sure make your educated decision when entering high school and stick with it. Can’t always run from situations that all of a sudden don’t suite you.
On Tuesday night, Mitty traveled to the City and took out Archbishop Riordan, 88-46. AM is 15-0!

So Mitty running-clocked Riordan, which had two previous losses, by a total of eight points, against a solid schedule.

This Mitty team is something special. We should all celebrate it.

Lat season Pinewood has at least two players that had to sit out the entire season after transferring. Mitty had a transfer that had to sit out the season. Any transfer in CCS has to sit out half the season, regardless of reason with very few exceptions. I think many of these transfers are not necessarily running from a bad situation, but moving to a better opportunity. If you're preparing these kids for life, then this is the real world. Ask this year's football commits to U of Washington. In your world, the two players that transferred from Pinewood back to their public, M-A should just tough it out and sit for two years? I'm cool with it if the same rule applies to coaches - change jobs, can't coach for two years. Final note on this: I think it's interesting that high school has tougher rules regarding transfers than college, with much less at stake.

Reactions: jstblev
How do we make changes without penalizing the school(Mitty) that has put the work in all around with AAU etc. I also think Cardinal Newman and Coach Mertle do a great job of having a AAU program as well. They just don't have a huge talent pool where Cardinal Newman is in my opinion to compete annually against Mitty. I think Kelly is in a tough situation at Carondelet because he also coaches Cal Stars EYBL. I'm sure players want to go to play for him in high school but the politics of it scare them away because they don't want to have to sit out a season like Talana had to(That sucked).

In terms of schedule who else is there to play? I think across the board high schools are in a somewhat down year especially Norcal. Think about. Before you had Mitty(Haley Jones and company) Pinewood (Hannah Jump and company), Salesian (Angel Jackson and company), Carondelet(Ally Bamberger and company), BOD(Amaya Bonner and company), SHCP, (Imari Thomas and company), SMS(Amaya Oliver and company) and despite all this talent we still couldn't get over the open division hump in state. It's just not much competition in NorCal right now. What do we expect Mitty to do? Travel (cost expenses) every week for the highest competition. They already played in TOC and another tournament against DeSoto who is always tough. I just think it's tough right now. Plus I don't think NorCal coaches want that smoke.

How do we make changes without penalizing the school(Mitty) that has put the work in all around with AAU etc. I also think Cardinal Newman and Coach Mertle do a great job of having a AAU program as well. They just don't have a huge talent pool where Cardinal Newman is in my opinion to compete annually against Mitty. I think Kelly is in a tough situation at Carondelet because he also coaches Cal Stars EYBL. I'm sure players want to go to play for him in high school but the politics of it scare them away because they don't want to have to sit out a season like Talana had to(That sucked).

In terms of schedule who else is there to play? I think across the board high schools are in a somewhat down year especially Norcal. Think about. Before you had Mitty(Haley Jones and company) Pinewood (Hannah Jump and company), Salesian (Angel Jackson and company), Carondelet(Ally Bamberger and company), BOD(Amaya Bonner and company), SHCP, (Imari Thomas and company), SMS(Amaya Oliver and company) and despite all this talent we still couldn't get over the open division hump in state. It's just not much competition in NorCal right now. What do we expect Mitty to do? Travel (cost expenses) every week for the highest competition. They already played in TOC and another tournament against DeSoto who is always tough. I just think it's tough right now. Plus I don't think NorCal coaches want that smoke.
last sentence is all that needed to be said.

last sentence is all that needed to be said.
I'll repeat. If kids can transfer to any school and parents have that option, then I should have the option of paying my taxes to build a gym. Taxes keep going up and if the player gives the district the school the high sign then why don't I have that option too. What if Mitty had no teams to play.

If kids can't transfer without sitting out, then coaches have to sit out when they move as well.

Reactions: GBBall4L
I'll repeat. If kids can transfer to any school and parents have that option, then I should have the option of paying my taxes to build a gym. Taxes keep going up and if the player gives the district the school the high sign then why don't I have that option too. What if Mitty had no teams to play.
i have no idea what you are talking about

• Haha
Reactions: CaliHoops23

I think it's just a matter of time before one or two more get them
The coaching staff must be incredibly impressive (and efficient!) to have a 9th grader already receive offers from Division I schools- that is remarkable. If only local public school coaches would work harder at developing their players.

The coaching staff must be incredibly impressive (and efficient!) to have a 9th grader already receive offers from Division I schools- that is remarkable. If only local public school coaches would work harder at developing their players.
You think that other freshmen could get offers if public school coaches -- who don't officially coach them until they are freshmen -- worked harder? And you do know that colleges recruit primarily on the basis of athleticism and size, especially at that age?

So Mitty running-clocked Riordan, which had two previous losses, by a total of eight points, against a solid schedule.

This Mitty team is something special. We should all celebrate it.
I have to agree...what Mitty has going this year is pretty special. I'm coming around on your previous statement on Mitty being the Norcal GOAT Clay. If they finish it off undefeated and national Champs I may have to give it to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT