ADVERTISEMENT

CARDINAL NEWMAN TOURNAMENT 11/29,30...12/1

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
There has been some questions on another thread about the CN tournament..

The 8 teams confirmed are:

BOD
Cardinal Newman
Cosumnes Oaks
ESP
Encinal
Menlo Atherton
Regis Jesuit
SHC

Brackets are being put together this weekend and I will post 1st round matchups ASAP.

All 1st round games and winners brackets games will be televised on YSN365.com again.

*** I for one am looking forward to watching (Stanford bound) Regis Jesuit's Francesca Belibi.
Maybe we get to see a girl dunk in a HS game... Hoping to see it and don't even care if its against Cardinal Newman..lol;)

Last edited:
That's a really good early season tournament ... congrats to Monica for putting it together.

That is a really strong field, Encinal may sneak up on some people this year with a lot of young talent.

BOD
Cardinal Newman
Consumnes Oaks
ESP
Encinal
Menlo Atherton
Regis Jesuit
SHC

Brackets are being put together this weekend and I will post 1st round matchups ASAP.

All 1st round games and winners brackets games will be televised on YSN365.com again.

*** I for one am looking forward to watching (Stanford bound) Regis Jesuit's Francesca Belibi.
Maybe we get to see a girl dunk in a HS game... Hoping to see it and don't even care if its against Cardinal Newman..lol;)
It would not happen until the finals. I'm sure they will be on the opposite side of the bracket than the host squad.

Very good field. This has quickly become one of the top early season spots

Tournament Odds
CN (+175)
BOD (+200)
RJ (+375)
SHC (+700)
ESP (+1000)
CO (+2000)
Menlo-Atherton (+3500)
Encinal (+5000)

Odds subject to change

Reactions: kevchoice
BRACKETS ARE OUT

TOP 11/29 (thurs)

Cardinal Newman vs Encinal 7pm

Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Eastside Collegiate Prep 4pm

winners play 11/30 7pm
losers play 11/30 4pm

BOTTOM 11/29

Bishop O'Dowd vs Cosumnes Oaks 5:30pm

Regis Jesuit vs Menlo-Atherton 8:30pm

winners play 11/30 8:30 pm
losers play 11/30 5:30pm

*** the times and brackets are made in consideration to help teams with travel and to avoid league conflicts

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
Nice lineup. Good luck to the newman girls this year. Looks like a quick smaller team on the floor than in the past.

Reactions: kevchoice
BRACKETS ARE OUT

TOP 11/29 (thurs)

Cardinal Newman vs Encinal 7pm

Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Eastside Collegiate Prep 4pm

winners play 11/30 7pm
losers play 11/30 4pm

BOTTOM 11/29

Bishop O'Dowd vs Consumnes Oaks 5:30pm

Regis Jesuit vs Menlo-Atherton 8:30pm

winners play 11/30 8:30 pm
losers play 11/30 5:30pm

*** the times and brackets are made in consideration to help teams with travel and to avoid league conflicts

What time will the championship game be?

It's only fair to seed your own tournament to your advantage, so this is not a knock in any way: It seems to me the three best teams are in the bottom half, as Regis Jesuit is one of the top teams in Colorado and Cosumnes Oaks has more coming back than SHC or Eastside.

But of course you never know, especially this early in the season.

It's only fair to seed your own tournament to your advantage, so this is not a knock in any way: It seems to me the three best teams are in the bottom half, as Regis Jesuit is one of the top teams in Colorado and Cosumnes Oaks has more coming back than SHC or Eastside.

But of course you never know, especially this early in the season.

Maybe... Often the best teams from other states don't compare to good teams here but we will see. No shot clock in Colorado either so we will see what that adjustment is like for them as well. More coming back doesn't always mean better. Especially from those 2 programs. According to everyone SHC had nothing coming back when Thomas left then they go to a state championship. Not sure what ESP has coming back after their "best player" left but one thing we do know is that they will be discipline and well coached! SHC has a couple good guards returning and Talo Li who was first team WCAL. That's why we play the games :)

Reactions: Scott2138
States without a shot clock aren't playing basketball. I'm not sure what sport to call it but it certainly isn't baskerball

Regis Jesuit travels every year and has played with the shot clock. Colorado basketball is pretty good -- ask Mitty, which got knocked off by Grandview in the TOC a couple years back.

And note only five states use a shot clock ...

Regis Jesuit travels every year and has played with the shot clock. Colorado basketball is pretty good -- ask Mitty, which got knocked off by Grandview in the TOC a couple years back.

And note only five states use a shot clock ...
What are the benefits of playing basketball without a shot clock? How does it prepare a kid to play at the next level. Im not saying basketball is better in CA but at least we have a shot clock.

Generally, boys' coaches and coaches who like to control the game prefer a shot clock. It supposedly allows a less talented team to stay close because the less talented team can slow the game down and limit the number of possessions.

In the past, boys' coaches have been more conservative than girls' coaches, though that may be changing.

The other issue is cost. If a state mandates shot clocks, then every school must purchase shot clocks, and then pay someone to run them during games.

Generally, boys' coaches and coaches who like to control the game prefer a shot clock. It supposedly allows a less talented team to stay close because the less talented team can slow the game down and limit the number of possessions.

In the past, boys' coaches have been more conservative than girls' coaches, though that may be changing.

The other issue is cost. If a state mandates shot clocks, then every school must purchase shot clocks, and then pay someone to run them during games.
I coached in Nevada without a shot clock for two years. Teams would consistently play 4 corners basketball and often times there would be 4th quarters where only 5 shots total were taken (or less) in 8 minutes. I've seen teams sit in a zone for a quarter while the offense holds the ball up top until one team or the other caved. It was ridiculous.

It would seem to me to be the opposite. You can limit the number of possessions much easier with no shot clock by simply not shooting, like LBJ6’s Nevada experience. I remember Frank Allocco at DLS winning a tournament game in Hawaii something like 22-18 with no shot clock a few years ago. Horrible to watch, but they got the W.

how about the 2012 oregon state championship. 16-7 because one team was afraid to let Mercedes Russell have the ball. That is not a way to grow the game (which the women's side needs).

And the "we would have to put them in every gym" excuse is getting way too old and outplayed. CA has many more schools than most states and at one point they had to get "one in every gym". Seems like it worked out just fine, and I don't think shot clocks are the reason for our states budget deficit...

The cost may be an old excuse but it's a real one.

Freestanding wireless shot clocks cost $800 or so. You can get the ones with wires a lot cheaper, but the wires are a hassle and even a hazard.

But OK, it's a one-time expense.

Most schools across the country pay the people running the clocks. Let's say they pay someone $15 an hour -- that's about $23 a game. Let's call it $25 to make the math easier.

You have five teams, and each plays 12 home games -- that's 60 games. 60 x $25 is $1,500.

Let's say you pay the people $50 a game, which is more likely, though maybe a little high. Now you've just added $3,000 to your budget, which is a set of uniforms.

And you still have funky shot clocks that can't be seen that well. The shot clocks that connect to a scoreboard are $2,500 or so ...

Do that many people really get paid to do the clocks around here? I often assumed they were volunteers or salaried employees (or if they were hourly, they would likely be at the game anyway). I guess I need to get a clock job, get paid to watch ball in the best seat in the house. sign me up

Clay, Id have to disagree with you there buddy...

People are paid to run the clock. 9/10 that same person is the same person doing the shot clock which in most cases are just simple start/stop/ reset button. So it wouldnt be an additional cost for having a shot clock because someone is still needed for the scoreboard.

Reactions: Willtalk
There are some people who can run the shot clock and scoreboard at the same time, but generally you'll find one person doing each at high school games. As a coach, I want that because it's too easy to get confused, especially if you high school kids at the table.

Shot clock is simple except:

1) Did shot hit rim?
2) On jump ball, which team gains possession determines whether shot clock is reset
3) A lot of people don't know shot clock isn't reset after a made basket until the ball is touched on the floor.

Scoreboard is easier because

1) Clock starts when ball is touched on court
2) Clock stops when whistle blows

Private schools can do things a little differently ... and at some schools, fundraisers don't work all that well.

I would love to see a 30-second clock everywhere (though I'd actually prefer 24) but there are real issues, unfortunately, involved.

I would put the shot clock expenses in the category of "cost of doing business." Yes, it can be challenging, but I think it is needed nationwide to grow the game and to develop players.

I also think that in almost all cases, you can find the money if you really want to. Not always easy, but possible.

Of course the money can be found, if there's a willingness to do so. But again, the majority of coaches and schools are not in favor of shot clocks, so that sort of it stops the movement cold. The first step is to somehow convince coaches that the shot clock is a good thing, especially on the boys' side, and that is not going to be a simple or easy task.

Why are most summer games played without a shot clock? If teams can play all summer without a shot clock why should they use one in the winter?

I know that shot clock operators are paid for league games in the Acalanes school district, and for any playoff games. Back in the day, they were paid for every game ...

I would agree, though, that many in California are not paid. But in other states, with more money for education and sports, my sense is that most scoreboard operators are paid each game -- and so the shot clock operator would have to be paid as well.

I know that shot clock operators are paid for league games in the Acalanes school district, and for any playoff games. Back in the day, they were paid for every game ...

I would agree, though, that many in California are not paid. But in other states, with more money for education and sports, my sense is that most scoreboard operators are paid each game -- and so the shot clock operator would have to be paid as well.
Why are most summer games played without a shot clock? If teams can play all summer without a shot clock why should they use one in the winter?

BOD
Cardinal Newman
Consumnes Oaks
ESP
Encinal
Menlo Atherton
Regis Jesuit
SHC

I'm with @northbaybbguru I'm pretty sure most clock operators are either volunteers or someone involved with the school or athletics administration. Gotta have a shot clock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT