ADVERTISEMENT

CARDINAL NEWMAN TOURNAMENT 11/29,30...12/1

I'm with @northbaybbguru I'm pretty sure most clock operators are either volunteers or someone involved with the school or athletics administration. Gotta have a shot clock.

Maybe in some places. In others, if someone from the school works extra hours, they get paid. And finding and organizing volunteers is a lot easier in successful programs than in struggling ones -- and if you mandate it, everyone has to figure out a way to do it.

I agree that the shot clock should be everywhere, but I do think just saying every school, no matter how small or unsuccessful, should make it happen is asking more than some might think.

I watched the Regis game online... They looked great against an undersized-but-game M-A team, winning 71-24. Belibi had no dunks in-game, but the breathless announcers gabbed throughout the game about how she wowed the crowd by throwing down several times in pregame and during halftime of the previous game. Besides all the dunking hype, this young lady can REALLY play!

They'll play O'Dowd tomorrow.

Newman faces Sacred Heart in the other semi.

Reactions: observer22
Day 1 Scores:
Sacred Heart Cathedral 54
Eastside Prep, 45

Cardinal Newman 78
Encinal 36

Bishop O Dowd 51
Consumenes Oak 29

Regis Jesuit 71
Menlo-Atherton 24

Semi-Finals
Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. Cardinal Newman
Bishop O Dowd vs. Regis Jesuit

Day 1 Scores:
Sacred Heart Cathedral 54
Eastside Prep, 45

Cardinal Newman 78
Encinal 36

Bishop O Dowd 51
Consumenes Oak 29

Regis Jesuit 71
Menlo-Atherton 24

Semi-Finals
Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. Cardinal Newman
Bishop O Dowd vs. Regis Jesuit
SHC won? I thought Cal Hi reported them as dead? I guess them and heritage can still play a little. rankings are for the birds.

Reactions: Scott2138
SHC won? I thought Cal Hi reported them as dead? I guess them and heritage can still play a little. rankings are for the birds.
Cal Hi had them in the top 40 that was posted in a previous thread... and thats in the entire state. So with 25 socal teams on that list, cal hi thinks that shc is a top 15 nor cal team. Doesn't seem dead to me. Or are we looking at different lists?

In my opinion, the question marks for SHC this season is because last year's team was so Senior dominated, they graduated 9 seniors that were most of their major contributors as well. There has been many posts on here about how great a job Coach Russell does with his kids, and he has proven it year after year. This season there are only 2 seniors on the roster, so very young group. I don't think anyone that didn't have SHC in top 20 preseason rankings are not saying Coach Russell isnt a great coach and doesnt run a great program; I think it is more to the fact they are young and lost a bunch of seniors from last year that were big contributors. Lets see how this season plays out for them! A good test will be tonight against Cardinal Newman. Can anyone break this game down for us? I'd like to hear more about the SHC players this year, the only one I have really seen play is Tuttle, and I know she has great potential. She will definitely get much more playing time as a sophomore this year, and I am thinking will be one of their main players.

Maybe... Often the best teams from other states don't compare to good teams here but we will see. No shot clock in Colorado either so we will see what that adjustment is like for them as well. More coming back doesn't always mean better. Especially from those 2 programs. According to everyone SHC had nothing coming back when Thomas left then they go to a state championship. Not sure what ESP has coming back after their "best player" left but one thing we do know is that they will be discipline and well coached! SHC has a couple good guards returning and Talo Li who was first team WCAL. That's why we play the games :)

Many people counted the IRISH out this year with the 9 seniors that graduated...but this IRISH team looks like its going to very competitive and in some way mid season form. Credit to Lyran who always has his teams ready to play.

Reactions: basketba11
Many people counted the IRISH out this year with the 9 seniors that graduated...but this IRISH team looks like its going to very competitive and in some way mid season form. Credit to Lyran who always has his teams ready to play.
Could not agree more

Every year SHC is counted out of everyones pre-season polls and Lyryan never gets mentioned as a respectable coach. In 6 years he's been to a state championship 3 times. In the beginning of last year it was losing Thomas being the reason the team wasn't going to be good. Now it's losing 9 seniors. No one mentions their best player who was 1st team all league returning. The team looks to be good as usual. They have some speed, some size and some shooters. Time will tell how all these teams develop over the season. One thing about SHC is they play a tough schedule so they will be tested early!

Every year SHC is counted out of everyones pre-season polls and Lyryan never gets mentioned as a respectable coach. In 6 years he's been to a state championship 3 times. In the beginning of last year it was losing Thomas being the reason the team wasn't going to be good. Now it's losing 9 seniors. No one mentions their best player who was 1st team all league returning. The team looks to be good as usual. They have some speed, some size and some shooters. Time will tell how all these teams develop over the season. One thing about SHC is they play a tough schedule so they will be tested early!

Watching the game they really look better than I was anticipating...I just watched the first game too, and they are definitely "getting better" as they play. You can tell watching these games and you can also notice the improvement progressing literally. It will be interested the championship game, hope the other teams' star doesn't get that "high school" dunk..but she is something else too.

Watching the game they really look better than I was anticipating...I just watched the first game too, and they are definitely "getting better" as they play. You can tell watching these games and you can also notice the improvement progressing literally. It will be interested the championship game, hope the other teams' star doesn't get that "high school" dunk..but she is something else too.

The difference is she will have to guard somebody this game! There will be players her size that can get up and down the floor with her. Should be interesting!

The difference is she will have to guard somebody this game! There will be players her size that can get up and down the floor with her. Should be interesting!

Regis Jesuit just a lot better, all part of the learning process and something to work harder for with this new IRISH team.

I'm going to brag for Kevchoice on here right now...

Anya had 35 pts vs Odowd....And Odowd threw EVERYTHING and everyone at her defensively....SHE IS BALLING!

Im going to make a bold statement...

there is not a guard in the state playing better than Anya right now

I cant believe how much she has improved... she clearly put in the time in the offseason

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT