ADVERTISEMENT

Carondelet Update

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
Does anyone know if they've made a decision on the girls coach? I've heard a couple names thrown around but haven't heard anything for sure.

Reactions: Coach_Case
From an informed employee who mentioned it kind of matter of fact way. Employee is not a big Girls Basketball fan but mentioned it to me because I follow HS sports.

Does anyone know if they've made a decision on the girls coach? I've heard a couple names thrown around but haven't heard anything for sure.
Shady coach doing shady things at a new spot. I've watched it for years and keep wondering when Kelly will be held to account. The Miramonte girls are telling their friends Kelly is going to C-Let so lets call it confirmed.
Watch for a red sweater vest shortage in the concord area soon. On a positive note, Kelly wont have to deceive others about where his players actually live as C-Let has no borders and he wont have to secretly recruit as its open recruiting at C-Let. One more positive, Clay wont have to say " I really don't know the details" any longer..

Reactions: AtomicDawg1911
Sounds like the cat (or cougar in this case) is out of the bag..

@ClayK care to comment? Will you be following?

Shady coach doing shady things at a new spot. I've watched it for years and keep wondering when Kelly will be held to account. The Miramonte girls are telling their friends Kelly is going to C-Let so lets call it confirmed.
Watch for a red sweater vest shortage in the concord area soon. On a positive note, Kelly wont have to deceive others about where his players actually live as C-Let has no borders and he wont have to secretly recruit as its open recruiting at C-Let. One more positive, Clay wont have to say " I really don't know the details" any longer..
I’d really like to know what kids have gone to Miramonte that were out of District? Very interesting

I've said on our football boards that they usually have really good insight on big news before it becomes "public." Curious if it holds here.

On a different note, I don't think it is right to say a coach does shady things if you aren't going to list them and can back it up. Without that, it is throwing you know what against the wall.

Kelly , Sue and Tom all the same DNA... gee I wonder who has been saying that for 15 years... When most of the experts on this board were throwing shade my way

Reactions: stepslide
They are all very different for so many reasons.. but if you lump those 3 in together then you need to put Doc in the mix

Reactions: stepslide
Kelly , Sue and Tom all the same DNA... gee I wonder who has been saying that for 15 years... When most of the experts on this board were throwing shade my way

Speaking for myself, I don't understand why this trio has caught your ire. I have agreed with some of the critiques, but from what I remember of your posts, it has all been negative. So I am led to believe that you don't think any of the three are good coaches.

If that is the case, I still think you need to get your head checked.

Speaking for myself, I don't understand why this trio has caught your ire. I have agreed with some of the critiques, but from what I remember of your posts, it has all been negative. So I am led to believe that you don't think any of the three are good coaches.

If that is the case, I still think you need to get your head checked.

Their records speak for themselves and I'm pretty sure if you ask MOST of the kids that play for them, they'll say different. The hate with Kelly is real, and while I've never been a huge fan of system coaches and zone coaches (sopak and tom), their contributions to girls basketball in Norcal and the exposure for them is second to none. They run their stuff well, kids play hard, and go on to college. What else negative can you say???

Im not sure who said this as it show "you are ignoring this member", Im sure it was for a good reason. People are always gonna hate on winners for the stupidest things. My "hating" is more because of the tactical approach coaches take when they obviously have superior kids on the floor. 99% it's never personal..If this thread is true, Good luck Kelly! Im sure they're gonna get rolling sooner than later.

LOL if it's the pinnacle of girls basketball in the Bay Area, wouldn't it already be on the national map? Not the best first quote from the head cheeze. Regardless, I think they're gonna be better sooner than later and depending on if he can get kids to come quickly...watch-out! Can you imagine the carrot in front of a family in playing for this guy? It'd be hard not to go if given the opportunity...

Reactions: OnBall8
Word is they already have transfers too. Should be an interesting move. I wonder if the schools these kids have transferred from will have something to say.

I won’t give names but I personally know a former player that lived out of district.
So because a kid goes to a school from outside the district means they were recruited there? That’s not proof... I think ppl make up things to fit their own narrative without any facts... saying you know a kid went there out of the district doesn’t mean they were recruited... so not cool to start rumors

So because a kid goes to a school from outside the district means they were recruited there? That’s not proof... I think ppl make up things to fit their own narrative without any facts... saying you know a kid went there out of the district doesn’t mean they were recruited... so not cool to start rumors
I was responding to your comment about a kid going there that lived out of district. My kid played on Stars with this girl. We personally know the family. I never said recruited. Not sure what else you want from me, but you’re welcome for answering your question. I’m not starting rumors, you’re putting words in my mouth and questioning my motives to answer you.

Last edited:
Fortunately, the discussion about "the district" becomes moot for a private/parochial school. Kids can migrate to such a campus from just about anywhere a car, bus, train, covered wagon or skateboard can transport him or her. No worries at all about "in district" or "out of district" or any other impediment. Basically, it's open sesame time. So, Carondelet, here we come. Yippee.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Word is they already have transfers too. Should be an interesting move. I wonder if the schools these kids have transferred from will have something to say.

Let's see how many transfers came in before the announcement and what schools they came from. This has been in the works for months and they wait to announce him so the transfers can get enrolled and avoid CIF issues. Playing by a whole different set of rules....

Let's see how many transfers came in before the announcement and what schools they came from. This has been in the works for months and they wait to announce him so the transfers can get enrolled and avoid CIF issues. Playing by a whole different set of rules....

While I think that recruiting is cheating, im almost to the point of who really cares!? Mitty, SMS, C-Let, BOD, Salesian, St. Joes and while I think the world of Doc, will throw PW in there too, recruit at some level and are obviously on another playing field than other schools. let them be "the pinnacle" of girls basketball.. it's a handful of schools at the top. Was it Bear Bryant who once said if you're not cheating, you're not trying....?

So what if Sopak recruits his kids from Cal-Stars? A Cheater doesn't care what other people think...and neither should he (no matter what you think of him). I'm telling you, if I had a daughter going into high school and I lived in the East Bay, I'd probably pick C-L:et. Not because he's a great coach, but dude is connected...and probably does a little better job than the other east bay parochial in terms of teaching the game.

Reactions: redjuice
I agree with a lot that you said, but rules are in place for a reason. If everyone cheats, then why have them. If you are going to have individuals transfer into your program then suffer the consequences of doing so. Sit out the required amount of time and don't find ways to bypass the rules. Be beyond reproach and above board always.

While I think that recruiting is cheating, im almost to the point of who really cares!? Mitty, SMS, C-Let, BOD, Salesian, St. Joes and while I think the world of Doc, will throw PW in there too, recruit at some level and are obviously on another playing field than other schools. let them be "the pinnacle" of girls basketball.. it's a handful of schools at the top. Was it Bear Bryant who once said if you're not cheating, you're not trying....?

So what if Sopak recruits his kids from Cal-Stars? A Cheater doesn't care what other people think...and neither should he (no matter what you think of him). I'm telling you, if I had a daughter going into high school and I lived in the East Bay, I'd probably pick C-L:et. Not because he's a great coach, but dude is connected...and probably does a little better job than the other east bay parochial in terms of teaching the game.
If your daughter is good enough they will find her wherever she goes. I am over the business vibe of high school sports and the direction it is heading. Winning with a bunch of recruits/transfers just does not do it for me emotionally. No different than a high profile AAU to me. Salute to all the under the radar guys and girls that are strictly in this to change kids lives and develop the talent that walks in the door. High school sports don't happen without you.

No one has talked about the flip side, i.e., what's going to happen at Miramonte? The girls' varsity job was listed on Friday - who are the candidates? What's happening with seniors like Mia Mastrov, PK Hall, and Jordan Allred - are they staying at MM or following Kelly? Miramonte has become a pretty big name in girls' hs basketball over the years under Kelly and prior coaches. It is still attractive due to location, open enrollment, and academics.

Kind of surprised that Clay hasn't weighed in on this thread. Where are you CK and where will you be coaching this season? (Assuming of course that there really is a season this year.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LBJ6 and Coach_Case
If your daughter is good enough they will find her wherever she goes. I am over the business vibe of high school sports and the direction it is heading. Winning with a bunch of recruits/transfers just does not do it for me emotionally. No different than a high profile AAU to me. Salute to all the under the radar guys and girls that are strictly in this to change kids lives and develop the talent that walks in the door. High school sports don't happen without you.
alot of public schools dont always play with what walks in the door.

AMEN! There are many solid programs and coaches out there that have done it with integrity and respect for the game and respect other coaches and programs. Unfortunately those ones don't usually make the news. Maybe winning trumps all and maybe some know they can't win without hustling. Winning doesn't define a great season or great experience. Neither does how many kids go D1 out of that program. But to some it does...........

AMEN! There are many solid programs and coaches out there that have done it with integrity and respect for the game and respect other coaches and programs. Unfortunately those ones don't usually make the news. Maybe winning trumps all and maybe some know they can't win without hustling. Winning doesn't define a great season or great experience. Neither does how many kids go D1 out of that program. But to some it does...........
then you have never won at the elite level. i do not work hours upon hours to have fun with the buddies and make cool cheers. i want a chance at rings. the players will be my friends no win or lose. no athlete should be on the court if they arent wanting to win. this aint 4 grade cyo

Reactions: GBBall4L
No one has talked about the flip side, i.e., what's going to happen at Miramonte? The girls' varsity job was listed on Friday - who are the candidates? What's happening with seniors like Mia Mastrov, PK Hall, and Jordan Allred - are they staying at MM or following Kelly? Miramonte has become a pretty big name in girls' hs basketball over the years under Kelly and prior coaches. It is still attractive due to location, open enrollment, and academics.

Kind of surprised that Clay hasn't weighted in on this thread. Where are you CK and where will you be coaching this season? (Assuming of course that there really is a season this year.)

Maybe this was the position Clay was talking about in his previous post? he knows the area, school..well known. could be a good fit!

then you have never won at the elite level. i do not work hours upon hours to have fun with the buddies and make cool cheers. i want a chance at rings. the players will be my friends no win or lose. no athlete should be on the court if they arent wanting to win. this aint 4 grade cyo
You aren't understanding the message then if you think I don't want or care to win at an elite level. Have fun with the buddies and cool cheers? LOL ok buddy. If you think winning over everything type players only go to (private schools/schools they are recruited by) then you are lost. I enjoy the process of winning more than anyone but I only enjoy it if it comes without sacrificing what my principles of high school sports should be. I also accept that everyone has a different opinion on this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT