ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Final Top 10 and year in Review

Pal

I have another question. Does how big or small somebody wins a game does that affect the rankings? Four instance if a team was predicted to win 35-28 by calpreps and they win 40-0 does that affect how much they move up or down in the rankings?
Coach,

It does. Calpreps doesn't make their methodology fully transparent and they change it from year to year. My understanding of the current system is that If a team wins by 1 to 15 points they value of that win is 15 points above the opponents calpreps ranking. If they win by 16-30 points they receive that amount over the opponents ranking and if they by 30 or more points they still only get 30 points above the opponents ranking. As that opponent's ranking changes during the year the value of the winning teams points move as well.
The same works in reverse for how a loss is rated for a team.

For example: If team A has a calpreps ranking of 5.5 and team B has a Ranking of 11. If Team B wins by one point then Team A Would get a performance ranking of -4 (11-15) and Team B would get a performance ranking of 20.5 (5.5 +15). If Team B won by 20 points Team A would get a performance rnaking of -14.5 and Team B would get a performance ranking of 25.5. If Team B won by 40 points Team A would get a performance rating of -19 and Team B would get a performance ranking of 35.5. There is roughly a weighted average of a teams performance rnakings over the year to get their current Calpreps rating.

I think a simple addition of a qualifying win total is the only thing missing. Advancing 3-7 teams that were not good enough to earn a Top 4 finish in their own A League, regardless of which other A, B or C teams they would beat on the field, devalues the regular season for a 5-5 A, 7-3 B or 8-2 C Team. I choose those win totals, because that seems to be the bubble point for each of those Divisions.

I get strength of schedule, and its importance. But I think it is severely over valued. Especially for the Top A Leagues in the CCS.

A team beating Palma or Salinas, is currently a push in Playoff Points earned vs getting your brains beat in by Serra, M-A, HMB, VC, etc.

5 may be too high. But what about 4? Until you have reached that win total, you arent at large playoff eligible?

Thoughts?

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Pal

I have another question. Does how big or small somebody wins a game does that affect the rankings? Four instance if a team was predicted to win 35-28 by calpreps and they win 40-0 does that affect how much they move up or down in the rankings?

It depends on how closely the two teams are rated.

If Team A (rated 30) beats Team B (rated 12) by 7, Team A gets a game value of 27 (there is a minimum 15 points added to the losing team's rating for a close win), while Team B gets a game value of 15 (again, a maximum 15 point drop from the winning team's rating for a close loss). This would be a slight drag on Team A's rating, while at the same time, a slight boost to Team B's.

If Team A beats Team B by 25, Team A gets a game value of 37 (25 + Team B's rating). Team B gets a game value of 5 (Team A's rating - 25). Team A gets a boost, while Team B gets a drop.

If Team A beats Team B by 40, Team A gets a game value of 42 (there is a maximum 30 points added to the losing team's rating for a big win), while Team B gets a game value of 0 (again, a maximum 30 point drop from the winning team's rating for a big loss). Team A gets a nice boost, while Team B gets a big drop.

If Team A is rated 30, but Team B is rated -20, all of the above mathematics apply, however, the impact of the game is really minimal on the overall rating of both teams if the game is a blowout (more than 30-point margin). Any result within 30 points, though, would have a big negative impact on Team A (e.g., at most a 9 game value for a 29-point win), but a big positive impact on Team B (e.g., a least a -5 game rating for a close loss).

The overall rating of a team is roughly the average of the "significant" games. For many of the high-powered teams, a lot of the opponents aren't rated within 30, so a lot of games are not considered to be significant. For moderately-rated teams, there typically will be more of these games. The fewer significant games, the greater potential impact of a significant result. The more of these games, the less likely that these individual results will strongly impact a team's rating.

One of the sole exceptions to this are when one team is undefeated. An undefeated team must always remain rated higher than one of their defeated opponents. This is true even if one of the games was a big upset and the rest of the season would strongly suggest that the defeated team should be rated higher. In these cases, the ratings tend to be tied together and the undefeated team's rating can get inflated due to the success of that stronger opponent.

Hope this helps and does not further confuse the matter.

I think a simple addition of a qualifying win total is the only thing missing. Advancing 3-7 teams that were not good enough to earn a Top 4 finish in their own A League, regardless of which other A, B or C teams they would beat on the field, devalues the regular season for a 5-5 A, 7-3 B or 8-2 C Team. I choose those win totals, because that seems to be the bubble point for each of those Divisions.

I'm not really sure you get any of this.

The 7-3 B and 8-2 C teams are only 7-3 and 8-2, respectively, because they played B and C schedules. Had they played a strong A schedule, they probably would not even have garnered 3 wins.

Total wins very much are part of the calculation (2 points for every win), but if the schedule is very weak, then they end up on the bubble.

A team beating Palma or Salinas, is currently a push in Playoff Points earned vs getting your brains beat in by Serra, M-A, HMB, VC, etc.

This is not true... not even remotely. Right now, beating Salinas would garner the same amount of CCS playoff points (4) a beating either Serra or M-A. Getting bashed by either of those teams would garner only 2 points.

I get strength of schedule, and its importance. But I think it is severely over valued. Especially for the Top A Leagues in the CCS.

At no other level is the strength of schedule more important in football than in high school. I'm not sure you really appreciate how much more difficult a WCAL, PAL-Bay Division, SCVAL-De Anza Division, or PCAL-Gabilan Division schedule is than a SCVAL-El Camino, PCAL-Mission Division, or PAL-Ocean Division schedule. Carmel very well may have won the PCAL-MD at 9-1, but in the GD, they will probably end up 6-4 and in 4th place.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Losing to Serra would not get you 2 points.

1 for playing an A team. 1 for playing a League Champ. 2 for playing a CalPrep Top 100. 4 points. So yes. I do completely get it.

Salinas is not a Top 150.

So 1 for playing an a Team. 2 for the win. 3 points.

Losing to VC. Top 100. 1 for playing. 2 for being a Top 100. 3 points.

And if total wins was very much a huge part of the equation, why would 0-9 SHP be in the Top 20 of CCS Playoff Points gained? Luckily only 6 Teams from one League can qualify, or SHP would be an at large team. That is the flaw. Hence, a wins qualification threshold.

Because strength of schedule IS the single biggest contributor.

It SHOULD be measured. It is absolutely important. But winning games should be the single largest factor. Not getting your brains beat in by every WCAL opponent and gaining bonus points because of THEIR performance on the field.

5 may be too high. But what about 4? Until you have reached that win total, you arent at large playoff eligible?

Thoughts?
A 3-7 A League team would beat an 8-2 C League team by 28-35 points. C league teams are C League and truthfully take better opponents out of the playoffs.

And if total wins was very much a huge part of the equation, why would 0-9 SHP be in the Top 20 of CCS Playoff Points gained? Luckily only 6 Teams from one League can qualify, or SHP would be an at large team. That is the flaw. Hence, a wins qualification threshold.

It SHOULD be measured. It is absolutely important. But winning games should be the single largest factor. Not getting your brains beat in by every WCAL opponent and gaining bonus points because of THEIR performance on the field.

It’s not a flaw because it’s achieving what this new format was supposed to do. Every division is open In CCS for a reason. Prior to this year two divisions were designated for B and C league teams. Honestly, the biggest flaw is in the mission division for PCAL. Each B league should have 2 automatics. Cypress would still be putting forth the same teams and it would eliminate a losing record team being put in the play offs for a second year. Last year Soledad should not have been in. That being said what team or league is really being screwed over?

A 3-7 A League team would beat an 8-2 C League team by 28-35 points. C league teams are C League and truthfully take better opponents out of the playoffs.
I agree with your point with this new format but to play devils advocate PG did beat Santa Cruz which is a B-league champion so it’s fair they are in the play offs. Last year Gonzales beat Saratoga in the first round as well. So I don’t have a problem with a C-league champ being put in the lower divisions of the playoffs.

It’s not a flaw because it’s achieving what this new format was supposed to do. Every division is open In CCS for a reason. Prior to this year two divisions were designated for B and C league teams. Honestly, the biggest flaw is in the mission division for PCAL. Each B league should have 2 automatics. Cypress would still be putting forth the same teams and it would eliminate a losing record team being put in the play offs for a second year. Last year Soledad should not have been in. That being said what team or league is really being screwed over?

The Mission gets 3 spots because it is supposed to be the better division. If the 2nd place Cypress received an automatic then this year it would be Soquel. Is Soquel that much better than Alisal? (project 3rd from Mission). As it is I think it works well, every year you will find an exception in all the equity leagues, it is not an exact science. With the point structure being the way it is and a cap on no more than 6 teams from one league/division I believe the most deserving teams are getting into the playoffs.

Reactions: Cal 14

Dude, first of all, you need to get the name of the school correct. It is not SHP (as in Sacred Heart Prep), which is a member of the PAL-Bay Division. It is SHC (as in Sacred Heart Cathedral), which is a member of the WCAL.

In 2013, Aptos beat St. Ignatius in the D-III championship game by 6 points. Aptos was an 8-2 B-league champ. St. Ignatius was 2-8 and the 6th place WCAL team.

If you don’t comprehend the gap between the A leagues and B or C leagues, I don’t know what to tell you. To think that any C team would not get smashed by any of SHC’s opponents this year is beyond laughable.

No respectable poster on this board would argue that W-L is a better measure of a team than SoS. That just isn’t a reasonable argument. The only reason why C league teams win 8 games is because their opponents are really bad, period.

Last edited:
PAL
How does Prep To Prep do their Projections?Yours are much more Accurate and their points for teams are always seem low and not correct.You should be doing it for them!

Dude, first of all, you need to get the name of the school correct. It is not SHP (as in Sacred Heart Prep), which is a member of the PAL-Bay Division). It is SHC (as in Sacred Heart Cathedral), which is a member of the WCAL.

In 2013, Aptos beat St. Ignatius in the D-III championship game by 6points. Aptos was an 8-2 B-league champ. St. Ignatius was 2-8 and the 6th place WCAL team.

If you don’t comprehend the gap between the A leagues and B or C leagues, I don’t know what to tell you. To think that any C team would not get smashed by any of SHC’s opponents this year is beyond laughable.

No respectable poster on this board would argue that W-L is a better measure of a team than SoS. That just isn’t a reasonable argument. The only reason why C league teams win 8 games is because their opponents are really bad, period.

Here's a good example of the weird comparison you posit: Both Valley Christian and Mills could be 9-1 when the games are concluded this weekend. Enough said.

With tonight's results I believe the 40 teams that will be in the CCS play-offs has been determined regardless of Saturday's results. The norcal rankings from last nights (and Saturday's) games will effect final division placement, seeding and match-ups but should not impact which teams make the play-offs.

Two division titles are still to be determined

In the WCAL a Serra win over SI gives them the title. An SI win creates a tri-championship between Serra, SI and VC.
In the Mission if MVC wins they are sole champions. A Seaside win creates tri-champs between MVC, Seaside and Alisal.

31 of the 32 automatic spots have been determined. Either Carmel or Aptos will gain the 32nd spot and the other will gain an at-large spot.
Automatic Spots
WCAL - Serra, Valley Christian, Saint Ignatius, Mitty
Deanza - Wilcox, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Palo Alto - 3 way tiebreaker for third broken by total CCS points - Palo Alto 27, Mountain View 26, Milpitas 24.33.
Mount Hamilton - Oak Grove, Live Oak, Leland, Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa wins head to head tiebreaker over Piedmont Hills.
PAL-Bay - Menlo-Ahterton, SAcred Heart Prep, Terra Nova, Kings Academy. Kings Academy wins head to head tie-breaker over Burlingame
Gabilan - Salinas, Palma, San Benito, Carmel or Aptos. It is Carmel if they beat Alvarez on Saturday. If Carmel losses it is Aptos. If Carmel wins three way tiebreaker for third is San Benito 25, Carmel 23.5, Aptos 23.33.
Mission - Monte Vista Christian, Seaside, Alisal
PAL-Ocean - Half moon Bay, San Mateo
Santa Teresa - Branham, Overfelt - three way tie for first with Silver Creek broken by CCS points - Branham 24.83, Overfelt 22.83 Silver Creek 20.83
El Camino - Saratoga, Homestead
Cypress - Santa Cruz
PAL-Lake - Mills
Santa Lucia - Pacific Grove
West Valley. Mt. Pleasant

At-Large Teams: St. Francis, Bellarmine, Aptos (or Carmel), Milpitas, Soquel, Hillsdale and Burlingame.

At-Large Teams - I don't think Saturday's results or changes in Calprep rankings this week will change who the top 7 teams are. The process for selecting at-large teams is to take the top 10 teams that did get an automatic spot based on their CCS points. At that point teams are ranke from 1 to 10 based on their calprep ranking and the team with the highest Calprep ranking adds 10 points to their CCS points, the second highest ranked team adds 9 points, etc. In the end the 7 teams with the most points (CCS points + calprep ranking points) are selected as at-large teams. Here is what I expect the calculations to be.
CCS Calprep Calprep CCS rank
Team points points Total Entering Week 11
1. St. Francis 33 10 43 8 Beat #14 Bellarmine 28-10
2. Bellarmine 30 9 39 14 Lost to #8 St. Francis 28-10
3. Aptos 22.3 8 30.3 17 or Lost to #10 Salinas 42-28
3. Carmel 21.5 8 29.5 23 Plays #36 Alvarez
4. Milpitas 24.3 4 28.33 34 Beat #13 Palo Alto 17-7
5. Soquel 22 6 28 30 Did not Play
6. Burlingame 20.5 7 27.5 32 Plays #24 San Mateo
7. Hillsdale 22.5 5 27.5 28 Beat #69 Aragon 42-7
8. Willow Glen 20.5 3 23.5 41 Beat #83 Del Mar 13-7
9. Gonzales 20.5 2 22.5 47 Beat #46 N. Mont. Cty 14-13 10. Silver Creek 20.83 1 21.83 48 Beat #21 Branham 16-8

Next two teams are Gunn 20 and Santa Clara 20. Both have relatively low calprep section rankings.

From this weeks results I expect Milpitas to improve their potential rank based on their upset of Palo Alto. I don't think Willow Glen or Gonzales will improve their ranking much based on narrow wins over teams that aren't ranked that high. Silver Creek will improve their ranking but I don't think they be able to improve enough to make the top 7 teams. Burlingame is most at risk. This scenario assumes that they lose to San Mateo. If they win they are clearly in. Even if they lose they only have to stay ranked ahead of Silver Creek, Willow Glen and Gonzales to make the field.

PAL Booster, Mills and Jefferson tied as co-league champs in the PAL Lake. Mills won head to head but Jeff might have more power points

With tonight's results I believe the 40 teams that will be in the CCS play-offs has been determined regardless of Saturday's results. The norcal rankings from last nights (and Saturday's) games will effect final division placement, seeding and match-ups but should not impact which teams make the play-offs.

In the WCAL a Serra win over SI gives them the title. An SI win creates a tri-championship between Serra, SI and VC.
In the Mission if MVC wins they are sole champions. A Seaside win creates tri-champs between MVC, Seaside and Alisal.

31 of the 32 automatic spots have been determined. Either Carmel or Aptos will gain the 32nd spot and the other will gain an at-large spot.
Automatic Spots
Deanza - Wilcox, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Palo Alto - 3 way tiebreaker for third broken by total CCS points - Palo Alto 27, Mountain View 26, Milpitas 24.33.
Mount Hamilton - Oak Grove, Live Oak, Leland, Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa wins head to head tiebreaker over Piedmont Hills.
PAL-Bay - Menlo-Ahterton, SAcred Heart Prep, Terra Nova, Kings Academy. Kings Academy wins head to head tie-breaker over Burlingame
Gabilan - Salinas, Palma, San Benito, Carmel or Aptos. It is Carmel if they beat Alvarez on Saturday. If Carmel losses it is Aptos. If Carmel wins three way tiebreaker for third is San Benito 25, Carmel 23.5, Aptos 23.33.
Santa Teresa - Branham, Overfelt - three way tie for first with Silver Creek broken by CCS points - Branham 24.83, Overfelt 22.83 Silver Creek 20.83
Cypress - Santa Cruz
PAL-Lake - Mills

At-Large Teams: St. Francis, Bellarmine, Aptos (or Carmel), Milpitas, Soquel, Hillsdale and Burlingame.

At-Large Teams - I don't think Saturday's results or changes in Calprep rankings this week will change who the top 7 teams are. The process for selecting at-large teams is to take the top 10 teams that did get an automatic spot based on their CCS points. At that point teams are ranke from 1 to 10 based on their calprep ranking and the team with the highest Calprep ranking adds 10 points to their CCS points, the second highest ranked team adds 9 points, etc. In the end the 7 teams with the most points (CCS points + calprep ranking points) are selected as at-large teams. Here is what I expect the calculations to be.
9. Gonzales 20.5 2 22.5 47 Beat #46 N. Mont. Cty 14-13 10. Silver Creek 20.83 1 21.83 48 Beat #21 Branham 16-8

Next two teams are Gunn 20 and Santa Clara 20. Both have relatively low calprep section rankings.

From this weeks results I expect Milpitas to improve their potential rank based on their upset of Palo Alto. I don't think Willow Glen or Gonzales will improve their ranking much based on narrow wins over teams that aren't ranked that high. Silver Creek will improve their ranking but I don't think they be able to improve enough to make the top 7 teams. Burlingame is most at risk. This scenario assumes that they lose to San Mateo. If they win they are clearly in. Even if they lose they only have to stay ranked ahead of Silver Creek, Willow Glen and Gonzales to make the field.

A seaside win and Burlingame loss affect anything?

PAL Booster, Mills and Jefferson tied as co-league champs in the PAL Lake. Mills won head to head but Jeff might have more power points
In a tie the first tiebreaker is head to head. If that is even the enxt tiebreaker is CCS points. Mills won head to head.

A seaside win and Burlingame loss affect anything?
The at-large scenario assumes a Burlingame loss. If Seaside wins today there are some minor impacts but not enough to change who qualifies for the play-offs. If Seaside wins today:
Kings Academy and NMC loss 0.67 points
Alvarez, Santa Cruz, Terra Nova gain 0.33 points

The at-large scenario assumes a Burlingame loss. If Seaside wins today there are some minor impacts but not enough to change who qualifies for the play-offs. If Seaside wins today:
Kings Academy and NMC loss 0.67 points
Alvarez, Santa Cruz, Terra Nova gain 0.33 points

Gonzales gains .33 as well due to playing Alisal.

Any idea of what the division 5 bracket might look like? Gunn is likely out after last night's loss to Homestead, and Prep2Prep had them as the #3 seed going into the game.

PAL
When do Calprep ranking come out because seeding meeting is tomorrow?Dont they usually come out monday or late Sunday night Which would be after Seeding ? So if the rankings Came out Later With did not useThe rankings from the previous week?

Automatic Spots
Cypress - Santa Cruz
PAL-Lake - Mills

PAL
When do Calprep ranking come out because seeding meeting is tomorrow?Dont they usually come out monday or late Sunday night Which would be after Seeding ? So if the rankings Came out Later With did not useThe rankings from the previous week?
I think it will depend on whether or not the CCS is giving money to Calpreps as a product. Normally, the ratings settle on Tuesday, but they’re usually quicker around playoff time. I might imagine they’d have everything in place if the ratings were purchased for the seedings. Fewer games nationally helps.

I have all the CCS points calculated and am assuming a MVC win over Seaside tonight. If Seaside wins, CCS points will have to be adjusted. At this point it appears that Calpreps has taken into consideration Friday's results, but has not adjusted their rankings for Saturday's results. I will adjust the brackets if and when Calpreps makes further adjustments to their rankings.

Tomorrow might be a real mess at the seeding meeting. The point totals could literally be changing while everyone is sitting in the room. Originally, the seeding meeting was supposed to utilize the Calprep rankings as they stand at 8 AM Sunday morning an hour before the seeding meeting. I don't know if they will still hold to that deadline or not, but I will post the seeds tomorrow based on that deadline.

To give you a sense of how dynamic this is, Wilcox slipped from 97 last week to 101 in the state rnakings. This had a dramatic effect on a lot of teams as all Deanza teams, Leland, San Benito and Valley Christian lost a bonus point. Likewise, Salinas went from 172 last week to 151 in the state rankings. If they get to 150 all Gabilan teams, Milpitas, and North Salinas get an extra point. In Alvarez's case this would make them one of the top 10 teams to be considered for an at-large (they are now 12th), although I don't they will climb enough in the rankings to knock any of the other projected at-large teams out.

These are adjusted for the big upsets this week that had Milpitas beating Palo Alto, Alvarez beating Carmel, SI beating Serra, Silver Creek beating Branham Watsonville over Santa Cruz, Capuchino over Mills, and Piedmont Hills beating Leland.All these games were won by teams that were underdogs by 14 points or more

School CCS Rank (last week rank) Norcal Rank State Rank

Serra 1 (1) 3 14
Valley Christian 2 (2) 4 25
Saint Ignatius 3 (3) 18 82
Menlo-Atherton 4 (4) 20 90
Wilcox 5 (5) 25 101
Half Moon Bay 6 (7) 30 107
Mitty 7 (6) 34 114
St. Francis 8 (8) 37 126
Los Gatos 9 (9) 47 148
Salinas 10 (10) 49 151

Dropped out: None

The only change was Half Moon Bay jumped up one spot ahead of Mitty and Mitty dropped one spot. This hasn't taken into consideration SI's upset over Serra. I think SI will stay #3, i will end up being close between Serra and VC for #1.

DI
8. Half Moon Bay 10-0 63 at 1. Serra 9-1 84.5
5. Wilcox 8-2 70.83 at 4. Menlo-Atherton 7-3 70.83
6. Mitty 6-4 66.5 at 3. Saint Ignatius 8-2 72.5
7. St. Francis 4-6 66 at 2. Valley Christian 9-1 78.5

Half Moon Bay ends up in a 3 way tie at 63 points with Los Gatos and Salinas but HMB has a higher Calprep ranking which is the tiebreaker. If Wilcox ends up moving to #100 or higher Los Gatos would return to the #8 seed with an extra point. SI jumped from #5 to #3. Wilcox and MA end up tied but MA wins tie-breaker being ranked higher in Calpreps.

DII
8. Live Oak 9-1 52 at 1.Los Gatos 9-1 63
5. Bellarmine 3-7 57 at 4. Sacred Heart Prep 7-3 58.3
6. Palo Alto 6-4 54.7 at 3. Palma 8-2 59.3
7. Oak Grove 8-2 54 at 2. Salinas 9-1 63

Oak Grove moved from DIII to DII. Kings Academy drops to DIII. lots of seeding changes here as well.

DIII
8. Monte Vista Christian 8-1 39.8 at 1. Kings Academy 7-3 51.5
5. Carmel 5-5 42.5 at 4. Mountain View 7-3 45
6. San Mateo 8-2 42 at 3. Aptos 5-5 47.3
7. San Benito 5-5 42 at 2. Terra Nova 6-4 48

MVC moves from DIV to DIII replacing Branham who was upset by Silver Creek. . This ranking doesn't have Calpreps adjustments for losses by Carmel and San Mateo so it is likely to change.

DIV
8. Overfelt 7-3 32.8 at 1. Burlingame 5-5 39.5
5. Seaside 8-2 34 at 4. Hillsdale 7-3 36
6. Saratoga 8-2 33.3 at 3. Branham 9-1 37.8
7. Soquel 8-2 34 at 2. Milpitas 4-6 39.3

Overfelt and Saratoga moved up from DV to DIV as Leland and Santa Cruz were upset by very weak opponents this weak and dropped to DV.

Division V
8, Mount Pleasant 7-3 18 at 1. Santa Cruz 7-3 30
5. Mills 8-2 24 at 4. Homestead 7-3 25.5
6. Santa Teresa 4-6 22 at 3. Alisal 6-4 27
7. Pacific Grove 7-3 21 at 2. Leland 5-5 30

Homestead replaced Gunn in the field by beating Gunn this week and beocming co-champion of the El Camino League.

Last edited:
someone ask the same question earlier but seems screwy how 4-6 St Theresa gets in D5 over Jefferson who is league champs with Mills. CalPreps ranks them higher than St Therese

oh well

I have all the CCS points calculated and am assuming a MVC win over Seaside tonight. If Seaside wins, CCS points will have to be adjusted. At this point it appears that Calpreps has taken into consideration Friday's results, but has not adjusted their rankings for Saturday's results. I will adjust the brackets if and when Calpreps makes further adjustments to their rankings.

Tomorrow might be a real mess at the seeding meeting. The point totals could literally be changing while everyone is sitting in the room. Originally, the seeding meeting was supposed to utilize the Calprep rankings as they stand at 8 AM Sunday morning an hour before the seeding meeting. I don't know if they will still hold to that deadline or not, but I will post the seeds tomorrow based on that deadline.

To give you a sense of how dynamic this is, Wilcox slipped from 97 last week to 101 in the state rnakings. This had a dramatic effect on a lot of teams as all Deanza teams, Leland, San Benito and Valley Christian lost a bonus point. Likewise, Salinas went from 172 last week to 151 in the state rankings. If they get to 150 all Gabilan teams, Milpitas, and North Salinas get an extra point. In Alvarez's case this would make them one of the top 10 teams to be considered for an at-large (they are now 12th), although I don't they will climb enough in the rankings to knock any of the other projected at-large teams out.

These are adjusted for the big upsets this week that had Milpitas beating Palo Alto, Alvarez beating Carmel, SI beating Serra, Silver Creek beating Branham Watsonville over Santa Cruz, Capuchino over Mills, and Piedmont Hills beating Leland.All these games were won by teams that were underdogs by 14 points or more

Serra 1 (1) 3 14
Wilcox 5 (5) 25 101
Mitty 7 (6) 34 114
St. Francis 8 (8) 37 126
Los Gatos 9 (9) 47 148
Salinas 10 (10) 49 151

The only change was Half Moon Bay jumped up one spot ahead of Mitty and Mitty dropped one spot. This hasn't taken into consideration SI's upset over Serra. I think SI will stay #3, i will end up being close between Serra and VC for #1.

DI

Half Moon Bay ends up in a 3 way tie at 63 points with Los Gatos and Salinas but HMB has a higher Calprep ranking which is the tiebreaker. If Wilcox ends up moving to #100 or higher Los Gatos would return to the #8 seed with an extra point. SI jumped from #5 to #3. Wilcox and MA end up tied but MA wins tie-breaker being ranked higher in Calpreps.

DII

Oak Grove moved from DIII to DII. Kings Academy drops to DIII. lots of seeding changes here as well.

DIII

MVC moves from DIV to DIII replacing Branham who was upset by Silver Creek. . This ranking doesn't have Calpreps adjustments for losses by Carmel and San Mateo so it is likely to change.

DIV

Overfelt and Saratoga moved up from DV to DIV as Leland and Santa Cruz were upset by very weak opponents this weak and dropped to DV.

Division V

Homestead replaced Gunn in the field by beating Gunn this week and beocming co-champion of the El Camino League.

winners from each division...

D1 Serra
D2 Palma
D3 Aptos
D4 Hillsdale
D5 Santa Cruz

take it to the bank...

Calpreps appears to have updated its ranking including Saturday afternoon scores but will still have to factor in tonight's MVC-Seaside game which Seaside won 29-23 in triple overtime and created tri-champions for the Mission League with Alisal, MVC and Seaside. I will update this one last time tomorrow at 8 AM prior to the seeding meeting and that is the final CalPrep rankings the committee should be relying on to set the field and seedings.

No changes in top 10 - Serra State rank drops from 14 to 19 but they are still ranked #1 in CCS by Calpreps. Salinas dropped from 151 to 159 so it looks unlikely they will get into the top 150. Wilcox is still ranked at 101 in the state.

There were no changes to Division I and II. There were significant changes to Divsions III and IV where Milpitas and Burlingame moved from Division IV to III and MVC and Carmel moved down. In Division V the only change was Leland and Santa Cruz reversed the #1 and #2 seeds.

DIII
8. Milpitas 4-6 39.3 at 1. Kings Academy 7-3 50.8
5. San Benito 5-5 43 at 4. Aptos 5-5 45.3
6. Burlingame 5-5 42.5 at 3. Mountain View 7-3 46
7.San Mateo 8-2 41 at 2. Terra Nova 6-4 48.3

DIV
8. Overfelt 7-3 32.8 at 1. Monte Vista Christian 7-2 39.8
5. Hillsdale 7-3 35 at 4. Seaside 9-1 36.3
6. Saratoga 8-2 33.3 at 3. Carmel 5-5 36.5
7. Soquel 8-2 33 at 2. Branham 9-1 38.8

Division V
8, Mount Pleasant 7-3 18 at 1. Leland 5-5 30
6. Santa Teresa 4-6 22 at 3. Alisal 6-4 28.3
7. Pacific Grove 7-3 21 at 2. Santa Cruz 7-3 29.3

Reactions: Cal 14
The fact that 2 A league teams are scheduled for D5 is not right. Both those teams should be at home figuring out what they need to do to make their programs better. ST/Leland may be getting the chance to get pummeled in a regional game.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Calpreps appears to have updated its ranking including Saturday afternoon scores but will still have to factor in tonight's MVC-Seaside game which Seaside won 29-23 in triple overtime and created tri-champions for the Mission League with Alisal, MVC and Seaside. I will update this one last time tomorrow at 8 AM prior to the seeding meeting and that is the final CalPrep rankings the committee should be relying on to set the field and seedings.

No changes in top 10 - Serra State rank drops from 14 to 19 but they are still ranked #1 in CCS by Calpreps. Salinas dropped from 151 to 159 so it looks unlikely they will get into the top 150. Wilcox is still ranked at 101 in the state.

There were no changes to Division I and II. There were significant changes to Divsions III and IV where Milpitas and Burlingame moved from Division IV to III and MVC and Carmel moved down. In Division V the only change was Leland and Santa Cruz reversed the #1 and #2 seeds.

DIII
8. Milpitas 4-6 39.3 at 1. Kings Academy 7-3 50.8
7.San Mateo 8-2 41 at 2. Terra Nova 6-4 48.3

DIV
8. Overfelt 7-3 32.8 at 1. Monte Vista Christian 7-2 39.8
5. Hillsdale 7-3 35 at 4. Seaside 9-1 36.3
6. Saratoga 8-2 33.3 at 3. Carmel 5-5 36.5
7. Soquel 8-2 33 at 2. Branham 9-1 38.8

Division V

So is prep2prep flat out wrong with Wilcox being a 3 seed, SI 4, and MA 5?

It looks like Calpreps incorporated all Saturday scores into their rankings. As others mentioned they frequently continue adjustments into Tuesday, but they have changed rankings for Seaside and MVC (but there were no secondary ripples). I will keep checking but I am assuming they won't change again this morning (If they do I will adjust brackets accordingly. All the changes were in DIII and DIV

Here is what I have for the finals CCS divisions and seeding.

. Half Moon Bay 10-0 63 at 1. Serra 9-1 84.5
6. Mitty 6-4 66.5 at 3. Saint Ignatius 8-2 73.5

DII
8. Live Oak 9-1 54 at 1.Los Gatos 9-1 63

DIII
8. San Mateo 8-2 41 at 1. Kings Academy 7-3 50.8
7.Seaside 9-1 36.3 at 2. Terra Nova 6-4 48.3

Seaside moved from the #4 seed in DIV to the #7 seed in DIII. San Mateo from the #7 to #8 and Milpitas went to DIV as the #1 seed.

DIV
8. Overfelt 7-3 32.8 at 1. Milpitas 4-6 39.3
5. Saratoga 8-2 33.3 at 4. Hillsdale 7-3 35
6. Soquel 8-2 33 at 3. Carmel 5-5 36.5
7. Monte Vista Christian 7-2 32.9 at 2. Branham 9-1 38.8

HIllsdale, Saratoga, and Soquel all moved up one seed and MVC went from the #1 seed to #7.

Division V

Last edited:
Calprep rankings as of 6:45 AM this morning.

CCS Rankings and points to add to CCS points
1. Serra 40
2. Valley Christian 39
3. Saint Ignatius 38
4. Menlo-Atherton 37 (top 4 ranked in state top 100)
5. Wilcox 36
6. Half Moon Bay 35
7. Mitty 34
8. St. Francis 33
9. Los Gatos 32 (teams 5-9 ranked between 101-150 in state rankings)
10. Salinas 31
11. Palma 30
12. Sacred Heart Prep 29
13. Palo Alto 28
14. Bellarmine 27
15. Riordan - not in playoffs
16. Kings Academy 26
17. Live Oak 25
18. Oak Grove 24
19. Aptos 23
20. Terra Nova 22
21. Mountain View 21
22. Burlingame 20
23. San Benito 19
24. San Mateo 18
25. Seaside 17
26. Milpitas 16
27. Carmel 15
28. Branham 14
29. Hillsdale 13
30. Soquel 12
31. Monte Vista Christian 11
32. Overfelt 10
33. Saratoga 9
34. Sacred Heart Cathedral - Not in play-offs
35. Alvarez - Not in play-offs
36. Alisal 8
37. Santa Cruz 7
38. Leland 6
46. Mills 5
54 Homestead 4
57 Santa Teresa 3
61. Pacific Grove 2
68. Mt. Pleasant 1

Here are my final CCS Bonus calculations for teams.

For Bonus Points:
Sole League Champions (all opponents get 1 point)
Wilcox - 2.5
Salinas - 2.5
Oak Grove -2.5
Menlo-Atherton -2.5
Half Moon Bay -2
Santa Cruz -2
Mt. Pleasant -1
Pacific Grove -1

Co-League Champions (all opponents receive 0.5 points)
Saratoga - 1.0
Homestead - 1.0
Mills -.75
Jefferson -.75

Tri-League Champions (all opponents recieve 0.33 points)
Serra - .83
Saint Ignatius -.83
Valley Christian -.83
Branham - .67
Overfelt -.67
Silver Creek -.67
Seaside -.67
Alisal -.67
Monte Vista Christian .67

Non-CCS league Champions (1 point)
Pittsburg
St. Mary's
Corona Del Mar
Folsom
Marin Catholic
De La Salle
Templeton
Amador Valley
Vintage

Non-CCS Tri-Champions (0.33 points)
Las Lomas
Accalanes
Oakdale

CCS opponent in State top 100 (2 extra bonus points)
Serra
Valley Christian
Saint Ignatius
Menlo-Atherton

California opponent in top 100 (2 extra bonus points)
De La Salle
Folsom
Corona Del Mar
Marin Catholic
Pittsburg
St. Mary's
Clovis
Clovis West

Out of state opponents in ranked higher than #100 in California (2 bonus points)
East (Utah)
Gonzaga Prep (Washington)

CCS Opponents between 101-150 (1 extra bonus point)
Wilcox
Half Moon Bay
Mitty
St. Francis
Los Gatos

California Opponents between 101-150 (1 extra bonus point)
Clayton Valley
Clovis North
Las Lomas
Oakdale

Here are the total points for each play-off team. Ties are broken by head to head results and then by higher ranking in calpreps.

CCS points are schedule, wins, bonus points, norcal ranking points
1. Serra 10+18+16.5+40 = 84.5
2. Valley Christian 10+18+11.5+39=78.5
3. Saint Ignatius 10+16+9.5+38=73.5
4. Menlo-Atherton 10+14+9.83+37=70.83
5. Wilcox 10+16+8.83+36=70.83
6. Mitty 9.5+12+11+34=66.5
7. St. Francis 10+8+15+33=66
8. Half Moon Bay 5.5+20+2.5+35=63
9. Los Gatos 9.5+18+3.5+32=63
10. Salinas 9.5+18+4.5+31=63
11. Palma 10+16+3.33+30 = 59.33
12. Sacred Heart Prep 8+14+7.33+29 = 58.33
13. Bellarmine 10+6+14+27 =57
14. Palo Alto 9+12+5.67+28 = 54.67
15. Oak Grove 9.5+16+4.5+24 = 54
16. Live Oak 10+18+1+25 = 54
17. Kings Academy 7+14+3.83+26 = 50.83
18. Terra Nova 9+12+5.33+22 =48.33
19. Mountain View 7.5+14+3.5+21 = 46
20. Aptos 10+10+2.33+23 =45.33
21. San Benito 10+10+4+19=43
22. Burlingame 7.5+10+5+20 =42.5
23. Seaside 5+18+1.33+17 = 41.33
24. San Mateo 4.5+16+2.5+18=41
25. Milpitas 9+8+6.33+16 = 39.33
26. Branham 5.5+18+1.33+14=38.83
27. Carmel 8.5+10+3+15 = 36.5
28. Hillsdale 5.5+14+2.5+13 = 35
29. Soquel 5+16+1+12=34
30. Saratoga 5.5+16+2.83+9 =33.33
31. Monte Vista Christian 5+14+2.93+11 = 32.93 - includes calculation for 9 game schedule
32.Overfelt 6.5+14+2.33+10 = 32.83
33.Leland 10+10+4+6 =30
34. Santa Cruz 5+14+3.33+7 =29.33
35. Alisal 6+12+2.33+8= 28.33
36. Homestead 6+14+1.5+4=25.5
37. Mills 1.5+16+1.5+5 = 24
38. Santa Teresa 9+8+2+3 =22
39. Pacific Grove 2.5+14+2.5+2=21
40. Mt. Pleasant 1.5+14+1.5+1 = 18

Last edited:

Serra 1 (1) 3 14
Wilcox 5 (5) 25 101
Mitty 7 (6) 34 114
St. Francis 8 (8) 37 126
Los Gatos 9 (9) 47 148
Salinas 10 (10) 49 151

DI

DII

DIII

DIV

Division V

Wilcox is still at #101 this morning. I'm surprised CalPreps did a score adjustment run Saturday night. Maybe it was to help the CCS seeding process. And if Ned is smart, he will lock down adjustments between 8AM and 12PM today.

The fact that 2 A league teams are scheduled for D5 is not right. Both those teams should be at home figuring out what they need to do to make their programs better. ST/Leland may be getting the chance to get pummeled in a regional game.

You’re still not getting this. Leland being in D-V means they’ll be playing other D-V type teams in the regional. Fair or not, but that would be D-VAA or D-VA. I don’t think they’d be out in D-VIA or higher, not D-VIAA or lower.

But first, they’d have to win CCS D-V. That’s not a given.

Here are the total points for each play-off team. Ties are broken by head to head results and then by higher ranking in calpreps.

CCS points are schedule, wins, bonus points, norcal ranking points
1. Serra 10+18+16.5+40 = 84.5
2. Valley Christian 10+18+11.5+39=78.5
3. Saint Ignatius 10+16+9.5+38=73.5
4. Menlo-Atherton 10+14+9.83+37=70.83
5. Wilcox 10+16+8.83+36=70.83
6. Mitty 9.5+12+11+34=66.5
7. St. Francis 10+8+15+33=66
8. Half Moon Bay 5.5+20+2.5+35=63
9. Los Gatos 9.5+18+3.5+32=63
10. Salinas 9.5+18+4.5+31=63
11. Palma 10+16+3.33+30 = 59.33