ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL - Congrats to Serra CCS Open Champions!

CCS Open
Fri Nov 10th

• (7) Wilcox (7-3) @ (2) St. Francis (7-3) -
    • St. Francis' overall SOS and stout defense (despite the loss of Cahoon) and home cooking too much for WIlcox. St. Francis 24 Wilcox 10
Sat Nov 11th
  • (8) Salinas (7-3) @ (1) Serra (10-0)
    • The Padres quest of a return to the State Open starts Saturday! Cowboys' points come late 4th period against the Padres 3rd String in a running clock. Serra 56 Salinas 7
CCS D1
Fri Nov 11th

• (6) Valley Christian (6-4) @ St. Ignatius (6-4)
    • Valley playing its best football and gets its revenge against a banged up WIldcat squad recovering from last week's devastating loss in San Mateo. VC 21 SI 17

• (5) Archbishop Riordan (7-3) @ (4) Los Gatos (8-2)
    • The Crusaders take to the road and deliver the 'Cats a first round loss to a WCAL opponent for the 3rd straight year. Los Gatos has played a tough schedule including Grant and Pitt. The young Crusaders return many players that have sat out due to injuries. The WCAL Gauntlet has Riordan primed for the road upset. Riordan 42 Los Gatos 35

CCS DII
Friday Nov 11th

(8) Christopher (9-1) @ (1) Archbishop Mitty (5-5) @ Foothill College
  • Monarchs positioned well to make a deep run into the CCS and possible State bid. Reinforces the case that the WCAL/Privates should have their own playoffs. Mitty 35 Christopher 7
O for 4 so far buddy.

If One Thought a Riordan loss would quiet SF City fan, they don’t remember ME in the WayBack machine of Cal-Hi message board,…

First of all, I want to Acknowledge LG, for execution of their game plan. I also want to put a positive shout out for their facility. But I have to honest and share I took my Autograph Book out my car to see if I would catch Archie & The Gang to get some signatures.

CCS was out of Riordan’s grasp this year, but we have some serious #’s tags to wear, If You Don’t Win CCS all the narrative is for nothing:Except for # tags badges

#NewAttitude (7-2 League play)
#PurpleReign (as noted in my first post of the Season….(Riordan Gave Notice to the league)
#NextEpisode (Only Two Seniors)
#KingsOfKezar (I think everyone knows who IS Riordan’s Side Chicks)

See Everyone next season,…I pick a WildCat win next week;Lmao

But I leave you with # Tags to Savor:
#BabyPunditsKnow: ImmitationIsTheBestFormOfFlattery

Last edited:
In the aftermath of the Los Gatos win over Riordan Friday night, quotes from the winning side were telling. In a nutshell, this was the overriding sentiment from Los Gatos: RIordan had better individual talent, we had the better, more cohesive team.
A senior-dominated playoff experienced Los Gatos team that lost the past 2 years. Crusaders lose 4 senior starters. Plenty to build on heading into the offseason. Los Gatos is the real deal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a LG-Wilcox D1 Final.

What a crazy opening round in Open and D1!! Fantastic finishes, upsets galore! Credit to the teams coming out on top and nothing to be ashamed of to the teams falling short of their goals. Did you have Wilcox, SI and Los Gatos on your bingo card?

Reactions: Scott2138
I guess my day job is safe rather than being a HS Football prognosticator. Lol.
Wow! What a night for the WCAL! Congrats to SI last night as the lone survivor last night. And have to give props to Wilcox, Los Gatos and Christopher on their victories as they move on to the next round.
SI continuing their Cardiac 'Cats season as they score the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds of the game over a hot Valley Christian team looking to avenge their one-point loss to the 'Cats just a few weeks ago.

Biggest surprise was the Wilcox rout at St. Francis. I know the Lancer's best LB was out, but their D was still on point in last week's win against Bellarmine.
2nd surprise of the night has to go to the Christopher road upset of Mitty. Most people picked Mitty to roll through DII (including myself). Perhaps I was wrong in my WCAL/Privates Only CCS bracket, b/c Wilcox, Los Gatos and Christopher did a great job dispelling that notion.
I really came away impressed with Los Gatos. They are a well-coached and senior-led team. Their experience really showed in the second half against Riordan as this was shaping up to be a shootout. Penalties and turnovers that resulted in Los Gatos scores were the keys to the Wildcats win.
Next up Serra vs Salinas in San Mateo today. Should make for an interesting watch based on last night's games.

I guess my day job is safe rather than being a HS Football prognosticator. Lol.
Wow! What a night for the WCAL! Congrats to SI last night as the lone survivor last night. And have to give props to Wilcox, Los Gatos and Christopher on their victories as they move on to the next round.
SI continuing their Cardiac 'Cats season as they score the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds of the game over a hot Valley Christian team looking to avenge their one-point loss to the 'Cats just a few weeks ago.

Biggest surprise was the Wilcox rout at St. Francis. I know the Lancer's best LB was out, but their D was still on point in last week's win against Bellarmine.
2nd surprise of the night has to go to the Christopher road upset of Mitty. Most people picked Mitty to roll through DII (including myself). Perhaps I was wrong in my WCAL/Privates Only CCS bracket, b/c Wilcox, Los Gatos and Christopher did a great job dispelling that notion.
I really came away impressed with Los Gatos. They are a well-coached and senior-led team. Their experience really showed in the second half against Riordan as this was shaping up to be a shootout. Penalties and turnovers that resulted in Los Gatos scores were the keys to the Wildcats win.
Next up Serra vs Salinas in San Mateo today. Should make for an interesting watch based on last night's games.
One caveat re today's contest in San Mateo: Salinas was stronger last year; Serra is better this year. That is a terrible omen for the Cowboys (and any Cowgirls or Cowpersons) considering how quickly that 2022 debacle was over (15 minutes if memory serves).

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
CCS Open
Fri Nov 10th

• (7) Wilcox (7-3) @ (2) St. Francis (7-3) -
    • St. Francis' overall SOS and stout defense (despite the loss of Cahoon) and home cooking too much for WIlcox. St. Francis 24 Wilcox 10
Sat Nov 11th
  • (8) Salinas (7-3) @ (1) Serra (10-0)
    • The Padres quest of a return to the State Open starts Saturday! Cowboys' points come late 4th period against the Padres 3rd String in a running clock. Serra 56 Salinas 7
CCS D1
Fri Nov 11th

• (6) Valley Christian (6-4) @ St. Ignatius (6-4)
    • Valley playing its best football and gets its revenge against a banged up WIldcat squad recovering from last week's devastating loss in San Mateo. VC 21 SI 17

• (5) Archbishop Riordan (7-3) @ (4) Los Gatos (8-2)
    • The Crusaders take to the road and deliver the 'Cats a first round loss to a WCAL opponent for the 3rd straight year. Los Gatos has played a tough schedule including Grant and Pitt. The young Crusaders return many players that have sat out due to injuries. The WCAL Gauntlet has Riordan primed for the road upset. Riordan 42 Los Gatos 35

CCS DII
Friday Nov 11th

(8) Christopher (9-1) @ (1) Archbishop Mitty (5-5) @ Foothill College
  • Monarchs positioned well to make a deep run into the CCS and possible State bid. Reinforces the case that the WCAL/Privates should have their own playoffs. Mitty 35 Christopher 7

These predictions were WAY off, the WCAL is a one team league and is incredibly over rated.

A senior-dominated playoff experienced Los Gatos team that lost the past 2 years. Crusaders lose 4 senior starters. Plenty to build on heading into the offseason. Los Gatos is the real deal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a LG-Wilcox D1 Final.
So what you’re saying, “every squirrel finds a nut”; Lmao

In the aftermath of the Los Gatos win over Riordan Friday night, quotes from the winning side were telling. In a nutshell, this was the overriding sentiment from Los Gatos: RIordan had better individual talent, we had the better, more cohesive team.
That statement would be a perfect Implicit Bias response to build themselves up,…@ARiverdaleEntitlement

They sound like they other Wildcats, It’s the normal Mantra for programs that their players Ending Their Student/Athlete Career in HS

Last edited:
That statement would be a perfect Implicit Bias response to build themselves up,…@ARiverdaleEntitlement

They sound like they other Wildcats, It’s the normal Mantra for programs that their players Ending Their Student/Athlete Career in HS
And yet exactly true as proven by outcomes.

One caveat re today's contest in San Mateo: Salinas was stronger last year; Serra is better this year. That is a terrible omen for the Cowboys (and any Cowgirls or Cowpersons) considering how quickly that 2022 debacle was over (15 minutes if memory serves).
...it was even worse on West 20th Avenue today...41-0 after 14 minutes...and a running clock five minutes later.

I have to strongly disagree, I think @ArmchairGOAT had the solid and truthful assessment, with No defacing Implicit Bias

Your quote is often spoken in a couple of years later when Reggie & Jughead are doing beer bongs on the couch on Saturday watching College Game Day,…

“Remember when we beat him in CCS”

IS that your desired Outcome..,,Not A Crusader; he is playing On Game Day

Let SFCityFan drop Some Knowledge in SFCityFan-101 class:
“The Crusader IS fueled by those quotes and the Wildcat reaches their Pinnacle as he gives those quotes”

You see mommy & daddy already gave the Wildcats an excuse that they weren’t as Athletic Or too Small

🎤….drop

Last edited:

It's similar to what I said after Si played Riordan and lost by 8pts.

Riordan is good because of its caliber of player personnel not because of any elite coaching or actual football program.

SFcityFan, who are you guys playing this week?

🎤💧😂

It's similar to what I said after Si played Riordan and lost by 8pts.

Riordan is good because of its caliber of player personnel not because of any elite coaching or actual football program.

SFcityFan, who are you guys playing this week?

🎤💧😂
Thank you for your flattery, but you can’t be ME,…

If SI doesn’t win CCS what did they achieve?
#RwinsKingsOfzKezar,…(R)unThe City?
#PurpleReign,…(WCAL:w/l;7-2) Notice Delievered?
#NewCulture,…A.I. version of NewAttutude?
#Mommy&DaddylistedExcuses,…(No D-1 Talent)?
#ExtraWeekRevealsMoreWorts

But
Tell me, I am Seriously Interested?

DoU?

Last edited:
Thank you for your flattery, but you can’t be ME,…

If SI doesn’t win CCS what did they achieve?
#RwinsKingsOfzKezar,…(R)unThe City?
#PurpleReign,…(WCAL:w/l;7-2) Notice Delievered?
#NewCulture,…A.I. version of NewAttutude?
#Mommy&DaddylistedExcuses,…(No D-1 Talent)?
#ExtraWeekRevealsMoreWorts

But
Tell me, I am Seriously Interested?

DoU?
I can tell you we have a football game to play on Friday against Los Gatos and will try to avenge your schools loss and the WCAL brand as a whole.

If so, SI's Coach Vandermade should be a "Coach of the Year" candidate. Who comes into an area not knowing anyone and takes a school's football team with a losing history (except 2018) and gets them to the D1 semi-final in his 1st year?

I'll honestly admit us supporters didn't expect this much so soon.

Reactions: FBAddict
No way Wilcox beats Serra.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I can tell you we have a football game to play on Friday against Los Gatos and will try to avenge your schools loss and the WCAL brand as a whole.

If so, SI's Coach Vandermade should be a "Coach of the Year" candidate. Who comes into an area not knowing anyone and takes a school's football team with a losing history (except 2018) and gets them to the D1 semi-final in his 1st year?

I'll honestly admit us supporters didn't expect this much so soon.
Sounds good to challenge for a win vs. The WildCats.
New locale for a coach doesn’t qualify for a COY, especially since Walsh has a NorCal lock,…

No achievement without CCS, otherwise the #’s Tags weight Too Much.

This reminds me Of the current GOP, hyperbolic claims of success w/nothing to show at “The End Of The Day”

“🎼Should the Real WildCat, please Stand Up, please Stand Up🎼”;lmao

#AvengeIsNotRevenge

Last edited:
Good luck to both Serra and St. Ignatius as they are the remaining WCAL team in the CCS Playoffs.
Let's take a look at this weekend's matchups..It's the PAL-Bay vs the WCAL! Wilcox and Los Gatos can conceivably meet for the CCS Title game!

Friday 11/10 - 7pm
Wilcox @ Serra @ San Jose City College. (Open Final)

Wilcox with the biggest upset of the CCS playoffs as it knocked out heavily favored St. Francis on the road in convincing fashion. Wilcox running attack simply could not be stopped in the 2nd half. On the other side, it was a Serra lopsided win as Salinas was done by the end of the first quarter. Key for Wilcox is to eat up clock and keep the Serra offense on the sidelines. Tough task, though, as Serra is THE best run defense team in NorCal. Serra wins going away! Wilcox's consolation is they will play the winner of the D1 semi final. Wilcox 7 Serra 42

Los Gatos @ St. Ignatius (D1 Semi final)

The LG Wildcats vs the SI Wildcats! LG comes off a solid win over Riordan as it shuts out the Crusader offense in the 2nd half while scoring 2 TDs for the final difference as it was tied at 14 at the half. LG is a very experienced team and very balanced on offense and its defense is very fast and swarms to the ball. SI's Cardiac 'Cats pulls off yet another last second TD to beat a hot Valley Christian team for the second time this season. I like the Los Gatos Wildcats and its senior-laden team and longtime HC Mark Krail. Los Gatos 28 SI 24

Reactions: Niklas227
Good luck to both Serra and St. Ignatius as they are the remaining WCAL team in the CCS Playoffs.
Let's take a look at this weekend's matchups..It's the PAL-Bay vs the WCAL! Wilcox and Los Gatos can conceivably meet for the CCS Title game!

Friday 11/10 - 7pm

Wilcox with the biggest upset of the CCS playoffs as it knocked out heavily favored St. Francis on the road in convincing fashion. Wilcox running attack simply could not be stopped in the 2nd half. On the other side, it was a Serra lopsided win as Salinas was done by the end of the first quarter. Key for Wilcox is to eat up clock and keep the Serra offense on the sidelines. Tough task, though, as Serra is THE best run defense team in NorCal. Serra wins going away! Wilcox's consolation is they will play the winner of the D1 semi final. Wilcox 7 Serra 42

The LG Wildcats vs the SI Wildcats! LG comes off a solid win over Riordan as it shuts out the Crusader offense in the 2nd half while scoring 2 TDs for the final difference as it was tied at 14 at the half. LG is a very experienced team and very balanced on offense and its defense is very fast and swarms to the ball. SI's Cardiac 'Cats pulls off yet another last second TD to beat a hot Valley Christian team for the second time this season. I like the Los Gatos Wildcats and its senior-laden team and longtime HC Mark Krail. Los Gatos 28 SI 24
I can appreciate your take as to why you're picking LG over SI.
Is there a sense across the CCS that this SI team isn't real and this season is somehow a fluke?
I've been following the local prep football reporters and they've picked against SI all year long when they get a chance.
It makes a person wonder what is it? I suppose SI is the unknown and maybe being a homer to what they do know and relationships they have with those other programs are the difference.
In any case, the Cardiac Cats look to pull off another upset on Friday! Go Cats!

Is there a sense across the CCS that this SI team isn't real and this season is somehow a fluke?
I've been following the local prep football reporters and they've picked against SI all year long when they get a chance.
It makes a person wonder what is it? I suppose SI is the unknown and maybe being a homer to what they do know and relationships they have with those other programs are the difference.
In any case, the Cardiac Cats look to pull off another upset on Friday! Go Cats!
At the start of the season it was always Serra at the top and SI, Riordan, St.Francis contending for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. Also, hiring a coach from out of area was a big unknown, but he has proven to be a formidable coach.
For SI to win, they will have to stop LG’s RB #22. He’s fast and shifty and torched R for 168 yds. It will be a good game - looking forward to it.

Reactions: Niklas227
I certainly expect a close game, in fact, you could call it a tossup. As much as SI's schedule has been strong, so has LG as they played Pitt and Grant during the season. Combine that with a team that is senior dominated, has played together since they were in junior football (living in a close knit community like Los Gatos affords that) and a veteran HC in Krail whose play-calling is very creative - that is why the football reporters give the edge to the Wildcats of Los Gatos.

Here’s what confuses Me, “You can’t call every game a Toss up Win Or Lose”
As much as I bleed WCAL, my eye test Makes ME Favor the Pundits.

I pick the Southern Wildcats by 2 touch down,..northern wildcats can’t handle the LG’s Defensive Intensity

#proveMEwrong
#WCALisOpenDivChampion

Friday 11/10 - 7pm

I saw a quote from Paul Rosa talking abuot the dynamic that they have a tough hill to climb on Friday and balancing that with being healthy and prepared for the D1 title game the following week. Very interesting situation to be in

I saw a quote from Paul Rosa talking abuot the dynamic that they have a tough hill to climb on Friday and balancing that with being healthy and prepared for the D1 title game the following week. Very interesting situation to be in
Had not considered that scenario. Why risk getting key guys hurt against the best team CCS has seen for awhile when a much more winnable game is on the horizon with a loss?

Wilcox should play to win, but if it gets out of hand probably a good strategy to sub by early Q3. Serra will do the same if that is the case.

Sounds like mentally they've already lost this game. Upset wins do happen. Look what they just did last week.
IMO, its actually kinda weak to say but maybe he's just being coy.

Had not considered that scenario. Why risk getting key guys hurt against the best team CCS has seen for awhile when a much more winnable game is on the horizon with a loss?
Kinda obviously though. I think we will see more of this type of action in the future as equity becomes the standard for seeding.
For brackets designed to match major underdogs with top divisional strength, we will see more Grant - Linden action. With brackets aligned according to equity, we will see very strategic game wins and losses. Most of the time, a team bring their best A game but sometimes it will allow for a best loss with dignity scenario.

Each and every team will approach this type of bracketing within consideration of honor and grace while getting the best position for wins. It adds a new level of strategy to the game.

Sounds like mentally they've already lost this game. Upset wins do happen. Look what they just did last week.
IMO, its actually kinda weak to say but maybe he's just being coy.
I don't think that is their idea going in, but your calculus changes if you get down 28-0 in the first quarter with another week to play. Again, this is just my inference from a quote I read.

Reactions: FBAddict
These hypotheticals ARE going “buck wild”and It’s good board fodder,…it even has Uncloset @Niklas227 Out Of The Shadows.

#ProveTheBoardPunditsWrong?
#WhereIsWaldoakaIrishCheers?
#RememberImmitationIsTheBestFormOfFlattery:Lol

LMAO

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT