ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open teams

TheHillZ-good knowledge of the CCS. The teams that I checked were Christopher (17-5), North Salinas (19-3), Hollister (17-4) & Alisal (15-6). Also, I noticed two PAL teams that had impressive records: Hillsdale (20-4) & Carlmont (17-5). I used to follow the CCS much more closely when I was younger (but I'll be turning age 74 next
month). Go CCS!

I'm a big backer of Pinewood and Doc Scheppler. My niece starter for their teams that had Hannah Jump. Courtni Thompson plays for UCSD. The CIF penalties for the three transfers seems unprecedented in their severity. Pinewood has been the toughest competitor for Mitty most every season . The Los Gatos transfer, Belle Bramer,
never played a game for the Monarchs this season. Imagine if she had stayed at LG how good the 'Cats might have been this season.

Pinewood due to their coaching, pedigree, and preparation/scouting, should be a 3 seed in my mind. If they end up as a 7 seed, they have a chance to upset SHC.
3 seed or 7 seed is no different since they would face SHC either way. Only difference between the 7 and 3 would be they would travel for all 3 games as the 7 but would host a couple as the 3, i believe

Reactions: TheHillZ
3 seed or 7 seed is no different since they would face SHC either way. Only difference between the 7 and 3 would be they would travel for all 3 games as the 7 but would host a couple as the 3, i believe

Yes, ur right, I saying 7 because people were saying Pinewood would be 7 or 8 seed. If I was SHC, I'd wish Pinewood ends up in the other pool as a 4, 5 or 8 seed. They are quite dangerous because they have the coaching and players to beat almost any team. They will not lose to any CCS public school in the playoffs. December losses are not playoff loses.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Yes, ur right, I saying 7 because people were saying Pinewood would be 7 or 8 seed. If I was SHC, I'd wish Pinewood ends up in the other pool as a 4, 5 or 8 seed. They are quite dangerous because they have the coaching and players to beat almost any team. They will not lose to any CCS public school in the playoffs. December losses are not playoff loses.
I'll tell you right now, SHC is not afraid to play Pinewood. Doesn't mean they will win but they're definitely not afraid. Half those girls know Ava very well, having played with her for several years. She's still one of my daughters best friends. I hope they get placed in the same pool because you want to play the best competition, heading into NorCals

Yeah, he won no popularity contests yesterday! Lol. My daughter said after the game she was worried in the 3rd quarter but I had to remind her SI had s 3 or 4 point lead midway through the 3rd in the Bruce Mahoney too before SH pulled away with strong pressure forcing turnovers and easy buckets. I also told her it didn't help that she got in early foul trouble and missed some open looks in the first half. I think the biggest advantage SH has is experience. SI has some young talent and will be VERY good the next couple of years. Their freshman shooters kept them in the game.
The worst was when he called an offensive foul after Po took that girl's ankles in the 4th.

SI going forward into the next few seasons will be a dangerous team given their size (O'Shaughnessy) and your aforementioned shooting (Sanchez, Alcantara).

I can hear the chirping from the SH parents when Ennis fouled out. I understand the competitiveness of some of the athletes in this type of situation when you just cant beat that one team no matter what you do. The chippy-ness is evident. This is the case this year with this matchup. SH just has their number.

Next year hoping they have someone to replace the toughness that Scobie brought this year. They'll need that complementary player to go along with the core 3.

I'll tell you right now, SHC is not afraid to play Pinewood. Doesn't mean they will win but they're definitely not afraid. Half those girls know Ava very well, having played with her for several years. She's still one of my daughters best friends. I hope they get placed in the same pool because you want to play the best competition, heading into NorCals
I read somewhere that Cardinal Newman double and triple-teamed Ava all game and held her to just 11 points and 7 rebounds. I would imagine all open teams might do something similar in all open games. They won by 40 points in that game. With three transfers ineligible, I would imagine other than Ava the other starters are down compared to years past...

I read somewhere that Cardinal Newman double and triple-teamed Ava all game and held her to just 11 points and 7 rebounds. I would imagine all open teams might do something similar in all open games. They won by 40 points in that game. With three transfers ineligible, I would imagine other than Ava the other starters are down compared to years past...
CN did NOT double and triple team Ava.

Julia Brunetti...2 time Defensive Player of the Year in the NBL.

I know the article you are talking about and quite frankly I dont know what game the writer was watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: blex20
CN did NOT double and triple team Ava.

Julia Brunetti...2 time Defensive Player of the Year in the NBL.

I know the article you are talking about and quite frankly I dont know what game the writer was watching.
I was happy to see Julia was still playing. The few times leading up to league I saw NBE play, she wasn't there. I wasn't quite sure what happened. That's another girl I can remember my daughter playing against since at least 5th grade. Maybe earlier.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
The worst was when he called an offensive foul after Po took that girl's ankles in the 4th.

SI going forward into the next few seasons will be a dangerous team given their size (O'Shaughnessy) and your aforementioned shooting (Sanchez, Alcantara).

I can hear the chirping from the SH parents when Ennis fouled out. I understand the competitiveness of some of the athletes in this type of situation when you just cant beat that one team no matter what you do. The chippy-ness is evident. This is the case this year with this matchup. SH just has their number.

Next year hoping they have someone to replace the toughness that Scobie brought this year. They'll need that complementary player to go along with the core 3.
Next year will be the start of a transition for SHC. Behind the projected starting 5, they have a lot of inexperience and youth. SH is graduating two 4-year varsity players, who were brought in by LyRyan and made his final varsity squad their freshman year. There are a couple almost 6 footers on the backend of the bench this year but very inexperienced and not quite as physical as Malea. There was a freshman on the JV squad who could fill that role but, again, inexperienced and raw. Malea got solid minutes as a freshman on a strong, upperclassman squad. So there might be some growing pains for those players outside of the projected starting 5 next season.

Reactions: Scott2138
A very telling phrase for those out there on the public school side of the girls' hoops equation: "...two four-year varsity players who were brought in by LyRyan..." Brought in. Hmmmmmmm.

A very telling phrase for those out there on the public school side of the girls' hoops equation: "...two four-year varsity players who were brought in by LyRyan..." Brought in. Hmmmmmmm.
Oh, let's not be naive. If a player is in the city limits and looking for a private school education, you have to believe they talk with the coaches of those particular schools and figure out what would be the best fit for their playing style. On the girls side, it's now a 3 way race with Riordan moving to co-ed and likely joining WCAL next year. But when the aforementioned 2 players were trying to select their HS, it was between LyRyan and SHC or Mike Mulkerrins and SI. Of course, neither lasted beyond that freshman season for those two players but it is very much part of the HS decision process. And I'm not even talking about the other private schools within SF, such as University, Urban, Lick, etc.

I'm sure it's the same thing down south with Mitty, SF and VC.

Reactions: Scott2138
No doubt. Hence the persistent CCS syndrome of the vast chasm between the publics and the private/parochials. It is brutal. Apples and oranges to a very high degree. Honestly, CCS Open should be all private/parochials. They play by different rules. They can vacuum up most of the big-time talent (and there isn't that much of it, to be truthful) from SF through Gilroy and Santa Cruz. And they do. Pinewood got caught. Only Uhrich survived the CCS investigation process. You will not find much sympathy from the publics. Few are naive about this situation. It's now a given.

No doubt. Hence the persistent CCS syndrome of the vast chasm between the publics and the private/parochials. It is brutal. Apples and oranges to a very high degree. Honestly, CCS Open should be all private/parochials. They play by different rules. They can vacuum up most of the big-time talent (and there isn't that much of it, to be truthful) from SF through Gilroy and Santa Cruz. And they do. Pinewood got caught. Only Uhrich survived the CCS investigation process. You will not find much sympathy from the publics. Few are naive about this situation. It's now a given.
As tough as it is for most publics, they even do it to each other. Look at the talent differential between OT and the others in the league. Those who don't go to BOD go to OT and skyline, Fremont and the others get the scraps. Oakland league teams averaged 12 points a game vs OT. I'm guessing their JV team could go undefeated against their league opponents.

Reactions: colhenrylives
CCS is unique in NorCal: Two private/parochial leagues. No publics at all. Can't speak for the AAA, the OAL or any of the leagues outside CCS. By the way, it remains a NorCal absurdity that both the AAA and the OAL are separate CIF sections. Who's kidding who here? Please.

Things of note:

SchoolPri/PubEnrollment
MittyPrivate
1760​
SHCPrivate
1322​
Los GatosPublic
2168​
Palo AltoPublic
2072​
SIPrivate
1507​
BranhamPublic
1911​
CrystalPrivate
350​
PinewoodPrivate
300​
Menlo APublic
2450​

Decent balance with private vs. public in the top nine.

There are obviously two massive outliers here with Pinewood and Crystal in terms of being private schools with under 400 students compared to the WCAL 1300+! Obviously, Pinewood has had decades of success with Doc and transfers. Seems like for the first time CCS shut down its mass transfers.

That said, I really hadn't heard of Crystal before this year. I had always heard it was an academic school. Seeing them on this list with 350 student enrollment seems completely out of place.

Good info. But the idea of an "Open" division is that enrollment shouldn't be determinative.

I completely agree that Crystal's presence on this list is a surprise. That is especially true because it has no transfers and has had no basketball success (except for some in D5 for the past two seasons). But from what I have seen, and recognizing again that CCS is quite down, Crystal is one of the top eight teams this year. They are smart/aggressive defensively and force live-ball turnovers that lead to easy buckets. They are not deep or big, but everyone they put on the floor contributes, and they stick open threes.

I have no idea if Crystal cares about playing in Open. As I've said, Mitty, like Thanos, is inevitable. Crystal may want to play in D5 and maybe make a run at a state title, rather than getting stuck in D2-D4 for NorCals. Regardless, I think they're a fun story, and should get this shot if they want it.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here but for basketball lets pick a round number like 10 years, so say since 2013, any CCS title that is not Open isnt a real Sectional title. If by chance one year you have the big dawgs and college bound players on your team, Open should be your calling.

If you win any of Open, D1, D2, or D3 in Nor Cals, then I consider that legit. Anything below is just PE Trophies (Im sorry the kids call it Motor Development now)

Just my opinion here but for basketball lets pick a round number like 10 years, so say since 2013, any CCS title that is not Open isnt a real Sectional title. If by chance one year you have the big dawgs and college bound players on your team, Open should be your calling.

If you win any of Open, D1, D2, or D3 in Nor Cals, then I consider that legit. Anything below is just PE Trophies (Im sorry the kids call it Motor Development now)
That makes a huge assumption that a school like Mitty is playing "real" high school basketball. They have EIGHT six foot athletes on their roster, and a 9th grader with Division 1 offers that has been on campus for about a semester. They just beat a team in the WCAL 73-7! Show me any high school gym in the CCS and/or Nor Cal with that compilation of elite athletes. Heck, show me any gym in the CCS that has had that type of talent in the last 30 years. Are there too many divisions? Perhaps. But dismissing the kids and coaches that win titles below the Open ignores the joy and purpose of high school athletics.

That makes a huge assumption that a school like Mitty is playing "real" high school basketball. They have EIGHT six foot athletes on their roster, and a 9th grader with Division 1 offers that has been on campus for about a semester. They just beat a team in the WCAL 73-7! Show me any high school gym in the CCS and/or Nor Cal with that compilation of elite athletes. Heck, show me any gym in the CCS that has had that type of talent in the last 30 years. Are there too many divisions? Perhaps. But dismissing the kids and coaches that win titles below the Open ignores the joy and purpose of high school athletics.
You are preaching to the choir with your thoughts on Mitty. TBH whenever their social media posts stuff like their varsity/jv/frosh teams are 1,000-0 or something like that it kinda makes me puke.

There are too many divisions and too many entrants into the divisions. Playoffs should be special and rewarding.

Reactions: Cranky29er
Back in the mid-1990s, Sacred Heart Prep won 80 straight games. They won multiple state titles. They were so overwhelming and their dominance so surprising that the L.A. Times sent an investigative reporter to Atherton to probe their success. At one point, they had eight eventual Division I scholarship kids on their bulging roster. During their run, they had a one-point loss to Brea Olinda in a Santa Barbara tourney. Their winning streak would have gone well over 100 if they had captured that win. Mitty is very talented. But SHP back in the day was superb. A brilliant collection of stars that thrived in a strict, halfcourt, ultra-disciplined approach. They were so tough to handle that Rene Robinson, a future WNBA player, came off the Gators' bench for her first year or two. That's big-time depth.

Reactions: ClayK
You are preaching to the choir with your thoughts on Mitty. TBH whenever their social media posts stuff like their varsity/jv/frosh teams are 1,000-0 or something like that it kinda makes me puke.

There are too many divisions and too many entrants into the divisions. Playoffs should be special and rewarding.
Not anymore. We live in a new AYSO world of equity above all else. Trophies for everyone. Banners for all.

Not anymore. We live in a new AYSO world of equity above all else. Trophies for everyone. Banners for all.
How was it better the old way? One public would win D1 because there were no Privates, then Mitty, SHC, SF, VC and SI would fight for the D2-D4 titles, then a Private such as Pinewood or SHP would win D5. With the addition of the OPEN, instead of 5 section champs, there are 6, hardly a "everybody gets a trophy" situation. More teams get a shot, but there is still only 1 winner.

In the old system, a team such as Paly, Branham or M-A, even after having a great season, would have no chance of even making it into the 2nd round, let alone of advancing to NorCals. This gives the CCS publics, a group you're always advocating for, a chance to actually win a state title.

Good point. The Open is designed, in large part, for the privates.NorCals and CIF finals should be for the best. We can make an argument that the top three divisions are more or less valid when it comes to a slate of the relative best. After that, though, it tends to be a sliding series of mediocre to poor entities. Football is far worse, by the way. The AAA has had a state bowl champion in the absolute bottom division for several years in a row.

Good point. The Open is designed, in large part, for the privates.NorCals and CIF finals should be for the best. We can make an argument that the top three divisions are more or less valid when it comes to a slate of the relative best. After that, though, it tends to be a sliding series of mediocre to poor entities. Football is far worse, by the way. The AAA has had a state bowl champion in the absolute bottom division for several years in a row.
Agree.

Well I got the teams right, but my seeding was well off. I didn't expect to see Pinewood, 13-10, climb all the way to #3 with losses to University, Riordan, Los Altos and a split with Crystal. But as someone said, the only difference between #3 and #7 is home court.

The team most undone by Pinewood's ascension is Los Gatos, 21-3. They now are in an unwinnable pool with Mitty and have to face the Monarchs early.

No favors for 19-3 Crystal Springs either. They not only draw the short straw of an opening night Mitty matchup, but also have to take on an angry (and large) Los Gatos team, and Branham, whose center may be taller than two Crystallites playing piggyback.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Well I got the teams right, but my seeding was well off. I didn't expect to see Pinewood, 13-10, climb all the way to #3 with losses to University, Riordan, Los Altos and a split with Crystal. But as someone said, the only difference between #3 and #7 is home court.

The team most undone by Pinewood's ascension is Los Gatos, 21-3. They now are in an unwinnable pool with Mitty and have to face the Monarchs early.

No favors for 19-3 Crystal Springs either. They not only draw the short straw of an opening night Mitty matchup, but also have to take on an angry (and large) Los Gatos team, and Branham, whose center may be taller than two Crystallites playing piggyback.
To me it looks as though the committee said SH and Pinewood are best positioned to give mitty a game in the championship so let's set up the pool for a potential for those two to play for that opportunity. I would have preferred SH face los Gatos and CS since they've already played PA and SI (twice) but no such luck

Los Gatos lost to Pinewood. LG schedule this season didn't do the team any favors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT