ADVERTISEMENT

CIF RBG Brackets

Right then the next best 5 athletes all are from Mack…..same story as every year they will lock Mc down outside and stuff the box
I just looked at Mack's roster on MaxPreps and they are huge on both lines too. Well, it will be interesting to see how it plays out on Saturday. It would be a big help for MC if Greer Arthur can play.

Last edited:
I just looked at Mack's roster on MaxPreps and they are huge on both lines too. Well, it will be interesting to see how it plays out on Saturday. It would be a huge help for MC if Greer Arthur can play.

Yeah they won’t commit to the run as they should against Mack, instead like every time they play Mack their WRs can’t create any space so they get locked down, MC Qb will take about 5-7 sacks and Mc defense keeps them in the game but eventually cracks to Mack speed

The Mighty Herzog’s vs. Paly is a true David vs. Goliath match up.
I Don’t hate but I don’t really like the bottom few bowl matchups.

Pleasant Valley got an insanely lucky draw. Top division NS vs NCS D5! Huge disparity in Calprep rankings too. How are they below Palma/Hughson?

I would’ve rather seen

Woodland Christian Vs St. Vincent’s-Smaller private schools, similar rankings

Palo Alto Vs Orland- Enrollment disparities but Orland isn’t tiny and cool matchup that would never be scheduled

SSF Vs Lincoln- Close by, bigger enrollments. I have Lincoln playing rural 300 student Strawthmore. Hate it. SF section a joke.

Ferndale vs Colusa-Cool small school match up

Strathmore Vs Portola

I Don’t hate but I don’t really like the bottom few bowl matchups.

Pleasant Valley got an insanely lucky draw. Top division NS vs NCS D5! Huge disparity in Calprep rankings too. How are they below Palma/Hughson?

I would’ve rather seen

Woodland Christian Vs St. Vincent’s-Smaller private schools, similar rankings

Palo Alto Vs Orland- Enrollment disparities but Orland isn’t tiny and cool matchup that would never be scheduled

SSF Vs Lincoln- Close by, bigger enrollments. I have Lincoln playing rural 300 student Strawthmore. Hate it. SF section a joke.

Ferndale vs Colusa-Cool small school match up

Strathmore Vs Portola
You are really stuck on that enrollment factor, aren't you? But it is strange you didn't say anything about the tiny enrollment of public school Mack.

PS Sorry - that was a little harsh. Its not that I'm particularly against the match ups you have suggested. It is the theme of size that irks me. If we had an entire divisional state system built around a modified enrollment criteria, I would agree with you. But that is not, at all, where the CIF is going. They are striving to create an equity-based system. With an equity-based system, enrollment or size has very little to do with how teams are match up.

That being said, I think Lincoln-SF is getting the benefit of a CIF side agenda of getting the inner-city schools of SF re-engaged in Football. Strathmore has a good chance of beating Lincoln. But if Lincoln wins again, I hope CIF will more up the SFS champ up at least one division.

I really don't like the two single league-sections of SFS and OS. This very idea flies in the face of the CIF football equity system. These very small sections have the same voting power as the colossal SS section.

Last edited:
I even root for DLS (most of the time), but still don't see why this game is scheduled for DLS's stadium.

I saw in that above tweet thread that Ethan Kassel, who is about as aware of NorCal HS sports as anyone, said that the sites are spread around "at random", which makes sense as far as giving as many HS football fans as possible an easy chance to see a bowl game. But if this is fully true, it would make some sense to also set up as many at least somewhat neutral sites as possible, at least somewhat geographically in-between teams involved as possible. Like maybe in this case Dublin or Las Positas College if their stadium has any size?

I even root for DLS (most of the time), but still don't see why this game is scheduled for DLS's stadium.

I saw in that above tweet thread that Ethan Kassel, who is about as aware of NorCal HS sports as anyone, said that the sites are spread around "at random", which makes sense as far as giving as many HS football fans as possible an easy chance to see a bowl game. But if this is fully true, it would make some sense to also set up as many at least somewhat neutral sites as possible, at least somewhat geographically in-between teams involved as possible. Like maybe in this case Dublin or Las Positas College if their stadium has any size?
Neutral sites are not used for regional games. Probably has to do with rental fees.

@cal14

What does that have anything to do with wanting Grant and Rocklin to play someone from another section?
Nothing. It's people (not just you) putting the Pacers name among the upper echelon of the NorCal teams. They haven't earned that spot for some time now and certainly not this year.

Playing in D-2A was probably inevitable. Had the CIF done the right thing from a competitive equity standpoint, Grant would probably be playing Los Gatos again. If they had gone by the sentiment of most people on this site, Rocklin would be facing Folsom and Pitt would be taking on the Pacers.

I don't think the CIF did them any favors with this matchup.

I am a Hugh DLS fan and this is head Scratcher….. In 2021 DLS beat Folsom in the Regular Season and the re match was played at DLS…. Last year it was Vice Versa….

I would think that being 13-0 vs 10-2 would make you the Home team in this game so it would be in Clovis where Veterans Stadium can hold 10k and you would have had the whole town of Clovis come out for the game and DLS would bring a good crowd down there….

If CN brings 500 people this place will be a mess, the parking will be just awful, if DLS gets the home game it should be at DVC….

Even DLS expected to go to CN for this game….

I am trying to Decide if I want to deal with the mess and go to DLS vs CN or Acalanes vs Escalon…. Either way though, I will UBER…. 🤣

Very bizzare indeed with Clovis North traveling. But at this point you just need to shut up and kick DLS ass on their field. If you do that you can talk all smack you want. Just win and let your action speak on the turf. DlS is very beatable but they are still a damn good football team.

The SJS screwed itself by allowing 2 of its top dogs to play each other. Should have fought to not allow same section games.

I’d like to see something like this

DLS vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
Pitt vs Grant

Or even

DLS vs Grant (a game in waiting for the last 20 years)
Pitt vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
This is the second time this has happened to the Pacers. If the Section committee plans to pit it's own section champs against each other, why not just place them in the same division to start out with.

To give the committee some credit, I like the match up against Rocklin. Rocklin is a really good football team and well coached. A Pacers win would add a lot of credibility to this championship run.

Some Calpreps predictions

BOWL 1-AA PLAYOFFS
Clovis North (Fresno, CA) at De La Salle (Concord, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Clovis North (Fresno, CA) 19 (61%) De La Salle (Concord, CA) 14 (39%)]

BOWL 3-AA PLAYOFFS
Escalon (CA) at Acalanes (Lafayette, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Acalanes (Lafayette, CA) 31 (58%) Escalon (CA) 28 (42%)]

BOWL 5-AA PLAYOFFS
Miramonte (Orinda, CA) at Pleasant Valley (Chico, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Pleasant Valley (Chico, CA) 35 (87%) Miramonte (Orinda, CA) 17 (13%)]

BOWL 6-AA PLAYOFFS
St. Vincent (Petaluma, CA) vs. Palo Alto (CA) at Casa Grande (Petaluma, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: St. Vincent (Petaluma, CA) 38 (75%) Palo Alto (CA) 27 (25%)]

BOWL 7-AA
Ferndale (CA) vs. Portola (CA) at Cal Poly Humboldt (Arcata, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Ferndale (CA) 24 (58%) Portola (CA) 21 (42%)]

Saturday, December 2nd

BOWL 1-A PLAYOFFS
Pittsburg (CA) at Folsom (CA), 6:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Folsom (CA) 35 (73%) Pittsburg (CA) 26 (27%)]

BOWL 2-A PLAYOFFS
El Cerrito (CA) at Los Gatos (CA), 6:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Los Gatos (CA) 31 (81%) El Cerrito (CA) 17 (19%)]

BOWL 3-A PLAYOFFS
McClymonds (Oakland, CA) at Marin Catholic (Kentfield, CA), 1:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Marin Catholic (Kentfield, CA) 27 (74%) McClymonds (Oakland, CA) 17 (26%)]

Reactions: aztecpadre
Friday, December 1st

BOWL 2-AA PLAYOFFS
Grant (Sacramento, CA) at Rocklin (CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Rocklin (CA) 31 (74%) Grant (Sacramento, CA) 21 (26%)]

BOWL 3-AA PLAYOFFS
Escalon (CA) at Acalanes (Lafayette, CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Acalanes (Lafayette, CA) 31 (58%) Escalon (CA) 28 (42%)]

BOWL 4-AA PLAYOFFS
Casa Roble (Orangevale, CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Soquel (CA) 20 (62%) Casa Roble (Orangevale, CA) 14 (38%)]

Saturday, December 2nd

BOWL 1-A PLAYOFFS
Pittsburg (CA) at Folsom (CA), 6:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Folsom (CA) 35 (73%) Pittsburg (CA) 26 (27%)]

BOWL 4-A PLAYOFFS
Palma (Salinas, CA) at Hughson (CA), 6:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Hughson (CA) 31 (58%) Palma (Salinas, CA) 28 (42%)]

BOWL 5-A PLAYOFFS
Woodland Christian (Woodland, CA) at Orland (CA), 6:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Orland (CA) 31 (58%) Woodland Christian (Woodland, CA) 28 (42%)]

Reactions: aztecpadre
This is the second time this has happened to the Pacers. If the Section committee plans to pit it's own section champs against each other, why not just place them in the same division to start out with.

This has been my stance for quite some time now. I even touched upon it not too long ago, bringing up the loaded SJS D2 field in 2009. The best and deepest ever. Even 2010 was pretty nice when Folsom and Grant Union met in the section finals.

Not so coincidentally, the attendance for those games haven’t been matched since. 2010 Grant-Folsom drew over 20K. The section semi‘s in 2009 between Rocklin-Grant and Folsom-Del Oro drew overflow crowds on consecutive nights out at Folsom HS. Had the SJS/CIF held those contests at larger venues, they’d have drawn a lot more. Possibly 10K+.

To give the committee some credit, I like the match up against Rocklin. Rocklin is a really good football team and well coached. A Pacers win would add a lot of credibility to this championship run.

The first time the all-SJS match-up happened, there were only four divisions and the Open.

in 2014, Folsom and Grant were the #2 and #3 teams in Nor-Cal behind De La Salle. There was no way to avoid the match-up. And we can assume the SJ was thrilled with getting that attention and validation by having their schools represent ALL of NorCal in D1.

As for this year, are we sure that the SJS Section wanted this match-up? It's quite possible (I have no direct insight) that the other members of the CIF committee thought that the SJS was too spread out with Rocklin in D2 and Grant in D3 and decided to do a little "consolidating" by having SJS D2 play SJS D3.

It is still pretty fair to Rocklin and Grant. It allows for it all to be settled on the field, as many on this board thought it should have been. To me, this is the most interesting match-up for the NorCal RBGs.

It was explained to me that enrollment dictates Division up till Sections. Then enter the SBG playoff and the rules change. It is then done by SOS schedule. Not sure how true it is but it does give a reason for why this happened?

The first time the all-SJS match-up happened, there were only four divisions and the Open.

in 2014, Folsom and Grant were the #2 and #3 teams in Nor-Cal behind De La Salle. There was no way to avoid the match-up. And we can assume the SJ was thrilled with getting that attention and validation by having their schools represent ALL of NorCal in D1.

As for this year, are we sure that the SJS Section wanted this match-up? It's quite possible (I have no direct insight) that the other members of the CIF committee thought that the SJS was too spread out with Rocklin in D2 and Grant in D3 and decided to do a little "consolidating" by having SJS D2 play SJS D3.

It is still pretty fair to Rocklin and Grant. It allows for it all to be settled on the field, as many on this board thought it should have been. To me, this is the most interesting match-up for the NorCal RBGs.
Good insight. That makes a lot of sense on the committees decision in 2014.

This year, I like the outcome of getting to play a good team in Rocklin. I just don't like the path the committee took to get here.

And of all the games schedules this weekend, I would agree, this should be a good match-up for both teams.

Reactions: MTsince2004
I am a Hugh DLS fan and this is head Scratcher….. In 2021 DLS beat Folsom in the Regular Season and the re match was played at DLS…. Last year it was Vice Versa….

I would think that being 13-0 vs 10-2 would make you the Home team in this game so it would be in Clovis where Veterans Stadium can hold 10k and you would have had the whole town of Clovis come out for the game and DLS would bring a good crowd down there….

If CN brings 500 people this place will be a mess, the parking will be just awful, if DLS gets the home game it should be at DVC….

Even DLS expected to go to CN for this game….

I am trying to Decide if I want to deal with the mess and go to DLS vs CN or Acalanes vs Escalon…. Either way though, I will UBER…. 🤣
The reason it’s at DLS is because last year in this same game DLS had to travel to Folsom. And there is some rule that says no team has to travel two years in a row for the same game. I’m not sure how the rule is written but if last years game was at DLS then the rule would not apply and DLS would have to go to Clovis. If these same two team are in this game next year then the game will automatically be in Clovis regardless of records or sos. That’s the rule as I understand it.

Yeah they won’t commit to the run as they should against Mack, instead like every time they play Mack their WRs can’t create any space so they get locked down, MC Qb will take about 5-7 sacks and Mc defense keeps them in the game but eventually cracks to Mack speed
For your sake. I hope you are wrong, like picking San Marin over Acalanes!

Reactions: bearphan and MC415
It was explained to me that enrollment dictates Division up till Sections. Then enter the SBG playoff and the rules change. It is then done by SOS schedule. Not sure how true it is but it does give a reason for why this happened?
That is only true in the SJS (mostly) and NS. Even the NCS is coming along towards competitive equity, albeit kicking and screaming.

Still, Grant has 2044 students and was in D-III (more than 9 D-II teams). Wasn't that the cutoff for D-I about 10 years ago? 2030 is the current cutoff for D-1 in the NCS. That's a big school no matter how you look at it and they probably shouldn't be playing in a middle-of-the-pack division.

Btw, D-III Hiram Johnson has more students than all but two D-II schools.

That is only true in the SJS (mostly) and NS. Even the NCS is coming along towards competitive equity, albeit kicking and screaming.

Still, Grant has 2044 students and was in D-III (more than 9 D-II teams). Wasn't that the cutoff for D-I about 10 years ago? 2030 is the current cutoff for D-1 in the NCS. That's a big school no matter how you look at it and they probably shouldn't be playing in a middle-of-the-pack division.

enrollments are decieving especially when you are talking inner city schools. Hiram Johnson may have more students but they have 36 varsity players. Mack has less than 300 students and less than half are boys. and they have 31 varsity players.

Linden has 45 and they are smaller in size than Hiram Johnson.

Reactions: remc

The CIF keeps speaking loud and clear. Expecting them to get things right, is a lost cause. They show their biased hands every single time. Whenever they look to correct a wrong, they just end up creating an unexpected problem for someone else. Lol

There’s inconsistencies in the matchups and locations. But I agree, these should be good games.

As I understand it, Grant has a continuation school on campus also, (those students are not eligible to participate in sports) so are you counting those students for total enrollment? If that is so then there is an error. Hiram Johnson may also be in that boat with West Campus? Anyone know?

As I understand it, Grant has a continuation school on campus also, (those students are not eligible to participate in sports) so are you counting those students for total enrollment? If that is so then there is an error. Hiram Johnson may also be in that boat with West Campus? Anyone know?
These numbers are from the SJS website:

SJS CBED enrollments

SJS CBED enrollments

And I don't believe that would include continuation schools, at least in Grant Union's case. Those are the official enrollments they use to slot these schools/teams.

I don't see West Campus on the list, but not too long ago they had their own football program. But perhaps they roll up to Hiram Johnson again.

I will also add that enrollments have seemingly grown significantly across the board. There was a time not too many years back when an enrollment of 2000+ would easily push a program into D1. D2 at the lowest.

There are 7 schools in D3 with an enrollment of 2000+ and the vast majority are 1800+.

Also, the vast majority of schools in D3 and D4 (and the top 1/3rd of D5) have higher enrollments than Del Oro.

SJS CBED enrollments
Will pacer nation be filling the stands Friday? Great fans and some of the most passionate people I meet at these games. Can’t wait to see this one. Rocklin will be a really tough out but Grant has so many weapons. Best of luck to both schools. I don’t have any dog in the fight and I’m torn on who I think will prevail. Rocklin comes in the favorite but I don’t think that means much to the kids from DPH. Like @ThunderRam said, the world feels in place when grant football is back in the saddle .

Will pacer nation be filling the stands Friday? Great fans and some of the most passionate people I meet at these games. Can’t wait to see this one. Rocklin will be a really tough out but Grant has so many weapons. Best of luck to both schools. I don’t have any dog in the fight and I’m torn on who I think will prevail. Rocklin comes in the favorite but I don’t think that means much to the kids from DPH. Like @ThunderRam said, the world feels in place when grant football is back in the saddle .
I'm sure the great Pacer Nation will be filling in the stands. This game looks to be a great one. Part of me wishes both teams were kicking the crap out of the Bay Area but to quote a crap 80s movie that I love, "there can only be one". -Highlander

The SJS screwed itself by allowing 2 of its top dogs to play each other. Should have fought to not allow same section games.

DLS vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
Pitt vs Grant

Or even

Pitt vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
Love those matchups you listed

Reactions: concrete17

DLS vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
Pitt vs Grant

Or even

Pitt vs Rocklin
Folsom vs Clovis North
Agree ! Let's see if the respective AD's and Coaches are paying attention and make such scheduling happen with their future pre-league schedules. Would definitely fill their $tadium $eats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT