ADVERTISEMENT

Clet at SRV Saturday 1/29 7pm

Couple of thoughts I had on the game:

First, watching SRV the past few years have been really fun to watch. Master class on building a program. Havne't missed any steps in the process.

In terms of tempo, it was almost frenetic and I think SRV handled it better. Carondelet missed a lot of close in looks and I wonder if tempo played a part in that.

To me, the game plan for SRV was to be physical with Lepolo and were successful with it. Sofia Bowes with a big performance.

Finally, this game was a great thing for girls basketball. High skill, great atmosphere.

Talent and culture will align what non speak is that… so Clet is lacking culture
What is that…. Sounds like something my bosses said to me before I was fired

Couple of thoughts I had on the game:

First, watching SRV the past few years have been really fun to watch. Master class on building a program. Havne't missed any steps in the process.

In terms of tempo, it was almost frenetic and I think SRV handled it better. Carondelet missed a lot of close in looks and I wonder if tempo played a part in that.

To me, the game plan for SRV was to be physical with Lepolo and were successful with it. Sofia Bowes with a big performance.

Finally, this game was a great thing for girls basketball. High skill, great atmosphere.
Now that I understand Clet could not handle the frenetic pace… gee just like those experiences your team would get at the Nike TOC Joe Smith division

Reactions: Coach_Case
Trying to turn this thread to a more positive note, I would like to clue all you gurus in to the unsung SRV hero, assistant varsity coach Cindy Stern. All those kickass seniors (including her daughter) started together as Cindy's St. Joan of Arc CYO 4th grade American team. She also coached them in her Wolfpack AAU program before coming with them to the SRV varsity team when they were freshmen.

For sure John Cristiano and his staff deserve a lot of credit. They had already begun the SRV turnaround with Paige Gerhart, Audrey Bayston, and Anne Marie Santich. But the influx of Cindy's kids really super charged things.

For future reference, Cindy now has a 7G American team at St. Joan that's playing up a grade and again kicking it. And the St. Joan 6th and 8th grade teams are also pretty loaded. While they won't all wind up at SRV, don't expect the Cristiano era to end any time soon.

I think feeder systems, whether they are local or regional, are crucial for any kind of success.

For most schools, which have goals of winning some Section games and maybe getting a win or two at NorCals every once in a while, the middle school feeder system is vital, especially because girls must choose between volleyball and basketball (well, they don't have to, but the volleyball coaches make them).

Having coaches out at CYO and middle school games, inviting those teams to home high school games, connecting with the coaches, etc., all of this is a necessity to build a local program.

To build a regional program, the net must be cast wider, with a regional club program that draws players from a wider area. Only very occasionally can a truly local, within-the-attendance-boundaries, team get deep into NorCals.

so the the statement is true that aau feeders do work
I wasn't going to chime in here, but I'm confused about your AAU Feeder comment. The SRV Women's Varsity team has been built with local girls that live within the boundary of SRV High School.. Which, by the way, is a small boundary as Monte Vista, Dougherty Valley, and Cal High are all within a 5 mile radius. Additionally, schools like Carondelet, over the years pulled talent out from SRV as well. Personalogic made this point, but I saw the interview of Sadie Carter after the game when she called out Allison Stern as her PG since the 4th grade as it's clear these girls stuck together into HS. And the success of the team over the last 4 years seems to have encouraged more girls to compete, play, and stay at SRV based on some of the underclassmen talent of this years roster & their JV Team. I'm not saying AAU doesn't play a part in allowing girls basketball to play year round, but for these girls AAU has been secondary and even still, they stuck together with the Local AAU program appropriately called Wolfpack.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to chime in here, but I'm confused about your AAU Feeder comment. The SRV Women's Varsity team has been built with local girls that live within the boundary of SRV High School.. Which, by the way, is a small boundary as Monte Vista, Dougherty Valley, and Cal High are all within a 5 mile radius. Additionally, schools like Carondelet, over the years pulled talent out from SRV as well. Personalogic made this point, but I saw the interview of Sadie Carter after the game when she called out Allison Stern as her PG since the 4th grade as it's clear these girls stuck together into HS. And the success of the team over the last 4 years seems to have encouraged more girls to compete, play, and stay at SRV based on some of the underclassmen talent of this years roster & their JV Team. I'm not saying AAU doesn't play a part in allowing girls basketball to play year round, but for these girls AAU has been secondary and even still, they stuck together with the Local AAU program appropriately called Wolfpack.
ok, so what was the confusion? the wolfpack was an avenue for this group to master their skills together. which has lead to success while playing varsity basketball and taking down the big bad machine of carondelet and maybe more.
i think somewhere on here it mentioned you need this to be successful.

Many of you guys are right on this topic. The crew at SRV; John, Joe, and Cindy have built a special program, and the deserve respect for all they have accomplished. SRV, like most schools have been aided by feeder programs. It’s a cool thing that these girls have played a long time together with wolfpack and CYO. Cindy is amazing and someone I truly respect. Feeders help athletes develop talent, which eventual benefit high school program success. The good programs like SRV can quickly evaluate talent and continue development. I have coached several Danville girls through middle school and recognize the investment and coaching SRV’s coaches have had in their careers.

The difference though with CLet and the criticism they are receiving is due to the transfers they are getting from other schools. It hurts schools with good programs like Clayton Valley when they lose a freshman, and the best player on Varisty to CLet due to AAU commitments. In this way CLet is taking talent away from several public schools, thus hurting the competitiveness of the local area. It’s just how it is, not much can be done about it. But I’m going to disagree with Clay that the criticism of KS is undeserved. The way he is building his program at CLet is a lot different than how he made Miramonte a powerhouse.

My comment is why grab all this talent and then duck and hide from the best competition at the Nike TOC….own your thievery and play the best of the best

Basically every job i had…. Are you surprised … companies and managers don’t like hearing there ideas are stupid and a waste of time…

Basically every job i had…. Are you surprised … companies and managers don’t like hearing there ideas are stupid and a waste of time…
And many companies and managers don't like to get complaints about creepy trainers "hitting" on female clientele. Its not them its you Dave.

And many companies and managers don't like to get complaints about creepy trainers "hitting" on female clientele. Its not them its you Dave.
Zero hits… never walked to HR …. Not one discussion with management in 22 years…zero

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT