ADVERTISEMENT

Clet at SRV Saturday 1/29 7pm

The SRV seniors have played together since fourth grade. First with St. Joan of Arc CYO, then Wolfpack AAU, and now SRV varsity. I'd say C-let's players are overall stronger, quicker, more athletic, and just as skilled as the SRV players. The difference was SRV's maturity as a team and, to some extent, their ability to make free throws and finish the two footers. Both teams are miles ahead of anyone else I have seen recently.

Reactions: Coach_Case
It's hard to play really well as a team when you rely on an endless stream of transfers. Expect more frustrating losses for Carondelet in coming years.

We had the night off so we headed over to San Ramon to see the game. What a game. The better team won and the better coaching staff stood out. Full disclosure, SRV whipped us but I wasn’t certain they were as good as they were against us. After tonight, I’m sure they are.
I sat with two other coaches from excellent Bay Area programs tonight and we all agreed that building a team from scratch trumps recruiting your aau team to create a winner. SRV should have a case study written about how to create a winning team and a winning culture with local kids. The AD was standing next to me and couldn’t say enough good things about the girls team and their coaching staff. That’s a first. Carondelet will always be great as Sopak will always transfer his AAU kids in, that’s what he does to win, but I guarantee you that winning ( winning isn’t defined just as scoring more points ) is far more rewarding at the core when it’s real and organic. Great game, great environment , great win for SRV. Wondered if we were the only ones who noticed Sopak walk away from the handshake post game and directed his girls to leave. Kids are always watching.. not a good look for sopak. Angry and jealous are no way to go through life. Big shout out to Coach Randy who drove all the way from Monterey to see his first post Covid high school game on his 86th birthday! See you Tuesday v Moreau.

It didn't go unnoticed as SRV was lined up to shake hands after the initial celebration and Carondelet walked away. Outclasssed on and off the court by SRV.

My thoughts are San Ramon blows Clet out.

Kelly, welcome to the EBAL. You better get used to not winning league titles.

Get a early start preparing for the EYBL, your money maker.
Maybe it wasn’t a blow out, but Coach Case was much better at picking the winner here than most, and people scoffed. SRV is a well coached, well rounded team that plays hard and team basketball. Their 2 early losses to Pinewood and Vanden came without their best player Pascoe.

I called out this poser years ago…when most thought he was something special
bruh i cant even figure out who you think is a good coach. you be on everyone head.
but this lost isnt on the coach. game looked close. even the great steve kerr blew a 3-1 lead

KS, Sue and Tom all average coaches… nothing wrong with average… I like coaches who can do more with less..
I am all about coaches who brought kids
Up who had fallen through the cracks…
I like Donovan and liked Corey

Maybe it wasn’t a blow out, but Coach Case was much better at picking the winner here than most, and people scoffed. SRV is a well coached, well rounded team that plays hard and team basketball. Their 2 early losses to Pinewood and Vanden came without their best player Pascoe.
Against Pinewood, SRV had only 7 players dressed to play. Key players that missed were Carter, Kimball, and Bowes. Against Vanden, the only key player missing was Carter. All three played a key role in last nights game as Carter had 15 pts and a big 3 to put SRV up with about a minute left. SRV is fun to watch, play as a team, and has depth.

It didn't go unnoticed as SRV was lined up to shake hands after the initial celebration and Carondelet walked away. Outclasssed on and off the court by SRV.
*** "after the initial celebration" is a key point...

I am in no way a CLET apologist.... BUT...

How long do the CLET players have to wait to shake hands when the other team is celebrating AND is the handshake even a thing anymore during the covid era? Up here in the NBL the teams for the most part all say good game and wave at each other and walk off.

Reactions: NorCalHoopz
*** "after the initial celebration" is a key point...

I am in no way a CLET apologist.... BUT...

How long do the CLET players have to wait to shake hands when the other team is celebrating AND is the handshake even a thing anymore during the covid era? Up here in the NBL the teams for the most part all say good game and wave at each other and walk off.
you stand there. let it simmer, burn and ignite. shake hands, remember that feeling and prepare for paybacc

I was off on the spread but I’m glad it was a close game. Congrats to those of you who got to see it. I’m kinda excited for the SRV Pinole Valley game before the playoffs.

bruh i cant even figure out who you think is a good coach. you be on everyone head.
but this lost isnt on the coach. game looked close. even the great steve kerr blew a 3-1 lead
Ankleassassin you made me laugh with this one.
“the great Steve Kerr” hahahaha

Maybe you forgot Luke Walton’s record while coaching the Warriors.
I’ve got a lot more respect for many of the coaches referred to in this thread than Steve Kerr.

Ankleassassin you made me laugh with this one.
“the great Steve Kerr” hahahaha

Maybe you forgot Luke Walton’s record while coaching the Warriors.
I’ve got a lot more respect for many of the coaches referred to in this thread than Steve Kerr.
OH, it was a compete joke. i am no fan of steve.

LOL don't act like SRV didn't have any AAU connections when Coach took over. That said, he's done a great job during the regular season but has underachieved in the playoffs. Winning a meaningless season game does nothing if you're not advancing in NCS or Norcals. I think it's funny how C-Let has their freshman/JV teams on the NFHS network but not their varsity.

Best of luck to both teams as they head into playoffs in a few weeks
That post is laughable. Taking over a team with local kids that play AAU together is not even close to the same thing as moving to a new school and having multiple D1 scholarship athletes transferring in from other schools that also happen to play in his AAU program.

As far as underachieving in the playoffs, in 2020 they won the NCS D1 Championship, then went on the road and beat a tough Antelope squad in the NorCal D1 playoffs, before losing to the heavily favored top seed Salesian. Last season, they beat C-let in the regular season and won the EBAL, but due to Covid there were no playoffs. They’ll probably get placed in the Open this season, which is a huge step up, but I’m sure they’ll be some out there saying they underachieved if they don’t win the NorCal Open. How about, nice job SRV in another big win last night!

LOL don't act like SRV didn't have any AAU connections when Coach took over. That said, he's done a great job during the regular season but has underachieved in the playoffs. Winning a meaningless season game does nothing if you're not advancing in NCS or Norcals. I think it's funny how C-Let has their freshman/JV teams on the NFHS network but not their varsity.

Why Sopak was in that stupid zone all game and especially in the last minute is beyond me.

What AAU connections did he have? When my dad took over he was a dad that was helping Randy Duck a few days a week as a friend. The team was 5 and 20, Randy left and they had no coach. The girls enjoyed the experience so he decided to stick around the following year. My dad runs a technology company. The most experience he had coaching before that was coaching my 8th grade CYO team. He has no “AAU connections” he doesn’t pretend to be a coaching guru and openly will admit that to your face. He’s gotten better as a coach every year using his resources and using coaches that know a lot more than us to help us grow our program. Becoming friends with some amazing coaches along the way and developing the talent that walks in the door. What are you referring to in regards to playoff failures? We’ve never lost to a Lower seed in any ncs or state playoff game. We won an NCS championship in 2020 and beat Antelope on the road and lost to Saliesian a 1 seed in the second round ( What a failure). 2019 the year before that we lost on the road to the #2 seed heritage and on the road in the state playoffs to Mclatchy who upset the #1 seed Sac high in the next round. The year before that we lost to the #1 seed Pleasant Valley who ended up playing for the state title. If that’s failure in the post season losing to only teams that are better seeds than oh well. In regards to the game not meaning anything ? Tell that to my girls who it means absolutely everything to. Pound Sand dude

Best of luck to both teams as they head into playoffs in a few

Best of luck to both teams as they head

Why Sopak was in that stupid zone all game and especially in the last minute is beyond me.

Fake news alert. Just simply wrong and borderline dumb. They smoked us badly in NCS and I believe they went on to win a championship that year or the next. Fake news alert!!

My old man is just a dad who happens to be called coach. Stanford womens basketball could offer him a head coaching job and he’d say no in a heartbeat. I just want to come and say that I can confirm my dad doesn’t give a DAMN what anyone thinks about him but for some reason I do. I really like this website and it brings great exposure and coverage to the girls. I don’t want to bring any negative energy on here but ur post is just a load of $&@“ and false. The girls could be 3-20 as long as they are genuinely having fun nothing else matters. That’s all I got for now. Go wolves. Senior night on Tuesday

My old man is just a dad who happens to be called coach. Stanford womens basketball could offer him a head coaching job and he’d say no in a heartbeat. I just want to come and say that I can confirm my dad doesn’t give a DAMN what anyone thinks about him but for some reason I do. I really like this website and it brings great exposure and coverage to the girls. I don’t want to bring any negative energy on here but ur post is just a load of $&@“ and false. The girls could be 3-20 as long as they are genuinely having fun nothing else matters. That’s all I got for now. Go wolves. Senior night on Tuesday
if they are 3-20 and having fun something aint right.

That post is laughable. Taking over a team with local kids that play AAU together is not even close to the same thing as moving to a new school and having multiple D1 scholarship athletes transferring in from other schools that also happen to play in his AAU program.

As far as underachieving in the playoffs, in 2020 they won the NCS D1 Championship, then went on the road and beat a tough Antelope squad in the NorCal D1 playoffs, before losing to the heavily favored top seed Salesian. Last season, they beat C-let in the regular season and won the EBAL, but due to Covid there were no playoffs. They’ll probably get placed in the Open this season, which is a huge step up, but I’m sure they’ll be some out there saying they underachieved if they don’t win the NorCal Open. How about, nice job SRV in another big win last night!
who else on carondelt is division 1 material?

who else on carondelt is division 1 material?
In addition to the 2 senior guards from Kelly’s AAU program that transferred there? I’m not aware of any D1 players aside from those 2. Maybe an underclass player will eventually go D1?

What AAU connections did he have? When my dad took over he was a dad that was helping Randy Duck a few days a week as a friend. The team was 5 and 20, Randy left and they had no coach. The girls enjoyed the experience so he decided to stick around the following year. My dad runs a technology company. The most experience he had coaching before that was coaching my 8th grade CYO team. He has no “AAU connections” he doesn’t pretend to be a coaching guru and openly will admit that to your face. He’s gotten better as a coach every year using his resources and using coaches that know a lot more than us to help us grow our program. Becoming friends with some amazing coaches along the way and developing the talent that walks in the door. What are you referring to in regards to playoff failures? We’ve never lost to a Lower seed in any ncs or state playoff game. We won an NCS championship in 2020 and beat Antelope on the road and lost to Saliesian a 1 seed in the second round ( What a failure). 2019 the year before that we lost on the road to the #2 seed heritage and on the road in the state playoffs to Mclatchy who upset the #1 seed Sac high in the next round. The year before that we lost to the #1 seed Pleasant Valley who ended up playing for the state title. If that’s failure in the post season losing to only teams that are better seeds than oh well. In regards to the game not meaning anything ? Tell that to my girls who it means absolutely everything to. Pound Sand dude

That is my bad. In my old age, I mixed up SRV with another school in your conference (I won't say because I don't want to get bashed again). Your dad has done a great job at SRV since he's taken over only gotten better with time. Again, my apologies and sorry for the confusion.

That is my bad. In my old age, I mixed up SRV with another school in your conference (I won't say because I don't want to get bashed again). Your dad has done a great job at SRV since he's taken over only gotten better with time. Again, my apologies and sorry for the confusion.
Disregard my comments than. No worries.

I think most of the characterizations of the two programs is correct, as we have only been at Carondelet for one full season, and one very strange one.

Having tried to build a couple programs, I know it takes several years to really establish your culture, and John Cristiano has definitely done that at San Ramon. His JV team took my JV team apart with superior team play -- and note we don't have any "recruits" at that level.

The criticism of Kelly is of course never going to go away, and that comes with the territory, but I think if you can look objectively at his programs at Northgate and Miramonte, it took a few years to really put the pieces together. (When I had been at Campo for several years, we did well against Miramonte in Kelly's first years because our culture was in place, and his was still developing.) I would expect that in a couple of years, the talent and culture will align, and Carondelet will be a better team, in all senses of the word, than it is today.

And Saturday night, the better team won. There could be a rematch in the EBAL playoffs (recently put in for the last week of the regular season), and that could be an interesting game. It will be at San Ramon again, and the home court advantage will likely have some effect, but the first one was close, and as we all know, it doesn't take much -- a couple foul calls, some threes from a surprising source, etc. -- to change the situation.

So you agree Clet is bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic Gee what is left that makes a difference?
So Saturday 2/12 7pm all over again at SRV?

I guess you didn't read my post ... I can repeat everything I said about culture, or you could just continue to blindly flail away at everyone you don't like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT