ADVERTISEMENT

CN vs. SMS

1tunz1

Hall of Famer
Sep 10, 2006
CN up early in 1st qtr 16-6. SMS comes back in 2nd qtr with 10 point run. At the half 24-22 CN.

CN follows with 2 threes of their own. Time out SMS. CN UP 41-40 3:53 left to play

I thought when SMS got the rebound with 17 seconds left they should have played for the last shot. Instead they went coast to coast and missed and Newman ran and got a layup to win it.

Reactions: Willtalk
And who would have thought Choice's biggest play (to date) this season was an absolute perfect 3/4 court pass hitting Bacci in stride for the winning layup.

that was a clutch pass a difficult layup... looked liked she was past the basket when she tossed it up. Didn’t think it was going in, but... wow.

Last edited:
So with scored tied with 17 seconds SMS ball why didn’t Tom call timeout and take the last shot....terrible coaching move by the national coach of the year....

It's hard to make it to state. Mater Dei and Sierra Canyon fell tonight. Let's see what goes down Sat NorCal with Mitty vs CN and Clovis West vs SJND

Not really underdogs in these games as it is just random seeding anyway. To win on the road on a school night is always tough.

I thought when SMS got the rebound with 17 seconds left they should have played for the last shot. Instead they went coast to coast and missed and Newman ran and got a layup to win it.
That was the key play. SMS was doing well in the half court and should have gone for the last shot. Just a judgement error by a young player trying to make a play she usually makes. I agree with you, if they hold for the last shot they win it.

It was a great game too bad somebody had to lose.

I think calling a timeout with the ball late is a mistake for the offense -- it allows the defensive coach to dictate the structure of the next play by choosing what to do, and also reminding players of their assignments and the time/score equation.

On offense, you have to anticipate what defense you might be seeing and try to prepare your girls for zone, man, press, trap -- in about 45 seconds.

Reactions: basketba11
And who would have thought Choice's biggest play (to date) this season was an absolute perfect 3/4 court pass hitting Bacci in stride for the winning layup.

Newman got a similar layup to win it against SHCP earlier this season. Great competitive effort from both teams. Amaya Oliver from SMS was tough to handle last night. Anya Choice from CN was resilient and kept the aggression. Such a good game I hate to see a team lose but hats off to Cardinal Newman for the victory.

I think calling a timeout with the ball late is a mistake for the offense -- it allows the defensive coach to dictate the structure of the next play by choosing what to do, and also reminding players of their assignments and the time/score equation.

On offense, you have to anticipate what defense you might be seeing and try to prepare your girls for zone, man, press, trap -- in about 45 seconds.
but it would have allowed SMS to take the last shot. It may not have been as good as the 2 looks they got on the break, but it wouldn't have cost them the game and the worst case scenario would have been OT.

So while I agree that calling a timeout allows the D to set up ideal matchups, first and foremost you have to make sure your own kids know the situation. Ideally your team should already know a D board with 17 seconds on the clock with a tie game means last shot and then you don't have to use a timeout at all.. that's basketball IQ

of course we can't forget that there was a timeout before CN took that initial shot that missed.. so really this all should have been laid out in that time.. what we do if CN scores... what we do if we get a stop.. that part is coaching

Reactions: cougar15
Good points ... situation is key.

But it sounds like SMS had two good shots to tie or win and missed them. Coaches can't put the ball in the basket.

Reactions: VinceW
Good points ... situation is key.

But it sounds like SMS had two good shots to tie or win and missed them. Coaches can't put the ball in the basket.
totally agree. it makes it really hard to call a timeout when you see your player with a breakaway..

And you're right, they STILL had a great look from 3 for the win. Although I don't know their team enough to know if that was who they wanted taking the last shot. It didn't seem like that player was who CN was keyed in on defensively.

totally agree. it makes it really hard to call a timeout when you see your player with a breakaway..

And you're right, they STILL had a great look from 3 for the win. Although I don't know their team enough to know if that was who they wanted taking the last shot. It didn't seem like that player was who CN was keyed in on defensively.

Great game, congratulations to Cardinal Newman. SMS girls have nothing to be ashamed of. They played their hearts out . They are still the only program in the state to be in the open since it started. In contrast the sms boys team is in division 2 . What would happen if SMS girls were in division 2?

There was a mixup on the switch and the SMS player got a good look on the 3. Fortunately for CN she missed. It's one thing I always say is just get the lead late and then try and hang on. Make the other team make a play/shot. It's why I honestly dont have a problem with Tom not calling the timeout because his player had a step on the defenders on the breakaway with 17 secs left. If she makes the shot that just HUGE and I would surmise more times than not she makes the shot. She just happened to miss this time. Although...I certainly understand the strategy of calling a TO and holding for last shot.

There was a mixup on the switch and the SMS player got a good look on the 3. Fortunately for CN she missed. It's one thing I always say is just get the lead late and then try and hang on. Make the other team make a play/shot. It's why I honestly dont have a problem with Tom not calling the timeout because his player had a step on the defenders on the breakaway with 17 secs left. If she makes the shot that just HUGE and I would surmise more times than not she makes the shot. She just happened to miss this time. Although...I certainly understand the strategy of calling a TO and holding for last shot.
Again, I am not saying Tom was wrong in not calling that timeout.. you cant pass up a breakaway layup/ foul possibility once she got going down the floor. You have to let that play out.

My philosophy with 3 timeouts (thats what NFHS had on the screen) would have been to tell my players to call a timeout as soon as they secured the rebound. Then we still have timeouts to use in case an unexpected trap comes at us, or we can't get into the set we want. Again, personal preference, and easy for me to say as I am not a coach. I am the quintessential armchair QB

I thought CN half court defense was as perfect as it could be last night. Tons of versatility. SMS struggled early in the half court but per usual their press/ half court traps got them back into the game. Two elites going punch for punch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT