ADVERTISEMENT

D2 and D4 NCS

winetot

Sports Fanatic
Nov 13, 2012
I think the lower seeds in D2 have a much better chance tonight than the lower seeds in D4. With Tam beating St Pats a few weeks ago the 10 seeding for St Pats is probably correct but that is not a favorable match up for Cardinal Newman. Newman will defend 100x better than American Canyon but it will need to be low scoring for CN to win in my opinion. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the lower seeds in D2 have a much better chance tonight than the lower seeds in D4. With Tam beating St Pats a few weeks ago the 10 seeding for St Pats is probably correct but that is not a favorable match up for Cardinal Newman. Newman will defend 100x better than American Canyon but it will need to be low scoring for CN to win in my opinion. Thoughts?
Newman will be prepared defensively. I expect the home crowd at Fitzgerald Gymnasium to play a huge role. Newman by double digits.

Fellas, big night around the redwood empire.

Lets start over at the Viking Dome. Montgomery playing great inspired ball led by all everything guard Caden Devries. I think they have no issues with Tam and will win this one by a comfortable margin. Montgomery does everything well and look for a huge home crowd to keep the vikings rolling.

Newman has a much bigger foe. St Pats is big, athletic, and has played a great schedule. They can be erratic and don't shoot it that well but 6"8 Tyriq Mcneal is a player they haven't seen this year. They are not a #10 seed.
Newman needs to get a few breaks and put Mcneal in foul trouble. They will need to knock down 40%+ from 3pt range to win this game but I see them as an underdog even at home. The young cardinals are a year away from making a deep run.

Justin beats the K-Ville by 25+. Bus will be warmed up in the 3rd.

@UncleYacht , hope to visit upsetcity.com in the near future.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Fellas, big night around the redwood empire.

Lets start over at the Viking Dome. Montgomery playing great inspired ball led by all everything guard Caden Devries. I think they have no issues with Tam and will win this one by a comfortable margin. Montgomery does everything well and look for a huge home crowd to keep the vikings rolling.

Newman has a much bigger foe. St Pats is big, athletic, and has played a great schedule. They can be erratic and don't shoot it that well but 6"8 Tyriq Mcneal is a player they haven't seen this year. They are not a #10 seed.
Newman needs to get a few breaks and put Mcneal in foul trouble. They will need to knock down 40%+ from 3pt range to win this game but I see them as an underdog even at home. The young cardinals are a year away from making a deep run.

Justin beats the K-Ville by 25+. Bus will be warmed up in the 3rd.

@UncleYacht , hope to visit upsetcity.com in the near future.
As long as our diet coke's are half full, we should be just fine!

Justin Siena 91 Kelseyville 37
Mckinleyville 57 Arcata 53

Urban 55 Terra Linda 51

Anyone with Ygnacio score. My guess is they won big.

I was at that YV game, very strange the way it went down. YV had a 38-15 lead at the half, and it looked like a running-clock special. And it was 52-25 after three quarters. YV had the end of the bench in, and they'd already been in the game awhile. YV's subs got sloppy, MC started hitting shots... YV coach decided to stick with the subs, and MC kept closing the gap and it got a tiny bit dicey, but they hung on.

My guess is that maybe the YV coach decided his stars had been out too long, and already completely cooled off and might be risking an injury if a cold player got out there. 64-52 final.

This does raise the question about depth at YV... Foul trouble or whatever against a better team might be a problem should it happen.

I was at that YV game, very strange the way it went down. YV had a 38-15 lead at the half, and it looked like a running-clock special. And it was 52-25 after three quarters. YV had the end of the bench in, and they'd already been in the game awhile. YV's subs got sloppy, MC started hitting shots... YV coach decided to stick with the subs, and MC kept closing the gap and it got a tiny bit dicey, but they hung on.

My guess is that maybe the YV coach decided his stars had been out too long, and already completely cooled off and might be risking an injury if a cold player got out there. 64-52 final.

This does raise the question about depth at YV... Foul trouble or whatever against a better team might be a problem should it happen.
Sounds like the coach has some strength … Growing his team by flipping these non important minutes into important ones. Basketball character builder’s. These Kids will not see the floor from here on out. Tames the tempers of the bench players parents. Reminder big difference between top players and 2nd line players. Triple win for the staff and program.

Last edited:
Haha, double digits ?

LIke I said in my write up I thought this would be a close game but ultimately St Pats was the favorite.
Speed didn't dictate the game. In fact the complete opposite. Newman couldn't make an open shot and was scoreless in last 4 minutes. Newman had the lead in the 2nd half of this game and had plenty of opportunities to win.

A few critical moments.
1. Game starts off with Tech and Tatum Kurpinski misses both FT for Newman. They miss opportunity to be up 2-0.
2. End of 1st half newman is up by 1 and kid from St Pats hits a 30 footer at buzzer and all of a sudden newman down 2 at half. Big momentum shift.
3. Legend Hale wide open 3 with about 1 min left would have tied game. Miss....

Newman shoots about 25% from field and loses 42-37 to a good St Pats team. At times newman had 3 fresh, I soph, and 1 Jr on floor. The future is very bright for Newman. Hats off to St Pats. Solid bunch of kids who play tough.

Monty looked pretty good in other D2 game. They got sloppy in the 3rd but but pulled away later. I like them against a good Moreau team.

Monty vs St Pats for title with Monty taking D2.

Defense showed up, shots didn't fall...simple as that. CN is going to be a force to be reckoned with moving forward.
Been the same story every year. I guess eventually you will be right. Always something missing, almost like they should schedule more of these teams in the off-season and not have 5 meetings with Monty and think it’s going to carry over into playoffs when it never does. But next sure I’m sure they’ll be 24-2 again, super high seed that played 1 team outside of the northbay get picked to go deep & lose early again disappointly ,,been story for years now

Reactions: Bitter Branson Fan
Alameda fought there tails off and was
The victim of some things that were really
Out of there control last night and if you
We're there you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Bay Area referees in general are some of the worst in the entire country.

I’ve been to a ton of different states, and the calls in those places aren’t nearly as bad.

As a former coach, I try to give referees the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes they deserve to get chewed out a little.

To me it’s the consistency more than anything. If you’re going to call a bad game, call it bad both ways.

My suggestion: Raise Pay, and don’t let anyone over the age of 50 referee a game (Uh oh Woke Police with age discrimination)

When you say this are you talking about the officiating ?
Alameda fought there tails off and was
The victim of some things that were really
Out of there control last night and if you
We're there you know exactly what I'm talking about.

When you say this are you talking about the officiating ?

Alameda was the victim to the same refs that Moreau had. They were not good by any stretch but they were consistent. That's all you can really ask for. I was there to witness it this time. Bad on both ends.

Alameda was the victim to the same refs that Moreau had. They were not good by any stretch but they were consistent. That's all you can really ask for. I was there to witness it this time. Bad on both ends.
Question So in round 2 of the NCS playoffs were your supposedly getting what's considered to be the better officiating Crews is being bad on both ends supposed to be Acceptable to Either team who has Worked there tails off for 4 months to be In this position in the playoffs?

Last edited:
Reactions: ayalar09

I’ve been to a ton of different states, and the calls in those places aren’t nearly as bad.

As a former coach, I try to give referees the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes they deserve to get chewed out a little.

To me it’s the consistency more than anything. If you’re going to call a bad game, call it bad both ways.

My suggestion: Raise Pay, and don’t let anyone over the age of 50 referee a game (Uh oh Woke Police with age discrimination)
you wouldnt have enough officials. ever watch D1 or nba? they are all over 50. old coaches trust old refs...
woke has nothing to do with age.
and the refs u get at stuart hall are bad, cuz stuart hall sucks. you arent getting nba quality and 4th grade skill level games

be careful who you chew out.. u see ol boy at monte vista got slept

what exactly is good? no matter the call 50% will be happy the other 50% mad.
when you press and try to steal the ball instead of steal the pass... it usually leads to fouls

Question So in round 2 of the NCS playoffs were your supposedly getting what's considered to be the better officiating Crews is being bad on both ends supposed to be Acceptable to Either team who has Worked there tails off for 4 months to be In this position in the playoffs?
you need to have 3 officials. no reason if the season is on the line for them to be cheap and only pay 2.

St Pats on the road again but this time only a short drive down the street.. that game with Benecia should be a good one.

I only watched last 5 minutes . Did see a missed call in key where shooter arm got slammed. All though result after air ball was alameda scored bucket . Wanted to rewind the play at end of game . Call looked suspicious when alameda full court pressed, they trapped near sideline and the near baseline defender caught it in mid air. Gray haired Official called push in the back. Maybe it was . Did not rewind it . Take a look at that one !

Were their only (2) officials ? Ref with a slight limp is fairly good official when he has two others. When it’s two refs in fast paced he drops just below average. It’s not biased and I do not see him being persuaded. It’s due to physical demand. Ive seen a lot of him ! Other ref have not seen him . You can have biased officating but it’s fairly rare at this level. Bias is usually based on relationships with the program. Coaching staffs job is to know who has this kind of power. Come to game prepared for this kind of battle. It does take a special someone to know about these type of situations . Rare! Just as important how to handle them. Too late for this season never too late to learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: ankleassassin

Don't let anyone >50 ref then get ready for a bunch of one referee only games. Most of the high school refs I've seen this year have been way over 50.

Reactions: ankleassassin
I only watched last 5 minutes . Did see a missed call in key where shooter arm got slammed. All though result after air ball was alameda scored bucket . Wanted to rewind the play at end of game . Call looked suspicious when alameda full court pressed, they trapped near sideline and the near baseline defender caught it in mid air. Gray haired Official called push in the back. Maybe it was . Did not rewind it . Take a look at that one !

Were their only (2) officials ? Ref with a slight limp is fairly good official when he has two others. When it’s two refs in fast paced he drops just below average. It’s not biased and I do not see him being persuaded. It’s due to physical demand. Ive seen a lot of him ! Other ref have not seen him . You can have biased officating but it’s fairly rare at this level. Bias is usually based on relationships with the program. Coaching staffs job is to know who has this kind of power. Come to game prepared for this kind of battle. It does take a special someone to know about these type of situations . Rare! More importantly how to handle them. Too late for this season never too late to learn.
semi and ongoing there will be 3 officials.

A couple of points
JC playoffs this time of year so those who work JC and HS are not available
Wish NCS would use 3 officials for all playoffs. Maybe not 1st round. Too many games. But afterward 1st round should be 3 person games
If you eliminate officials over 50 would probably lose 50% of the officials. Frightening shortage of officials
Lastly don’t think increase pay would magically result is better officials. When people stop officiating pay was down the list for the reason they stopped.

Just 2 cents from an old broken down retired official. 😂😂

A couple of points
JC playoffs this time of year so those who work JC and HS are not available
Wish NCS would use 3 officials for all playoffs. Maybe not 1st round. Too many games. But afterward 1st round should be 3 person games
If you eliminate officials over 50 would probably lose 50% of the officials. Frightening shortage of officials
Lastly don’t think increase pay would magically result is better officials. When people stop officiating pay was down the list for the reason they stopped.

Just 2 cents from an old broken down retired official. 😂😂
Definitely can not eliminate refs over 50. We have some great refs and they are almost all over 55. Thank you to these men and women whom do so. Increase their pay also! Having 3 refs for sectionals is more important then increasing game pay. Both are needed. With the foundation games, league playoff tourneys (should pay into this) and ticket sales from sectionals Increase sectional ticket cost by $3 all proceeds towards building ref system. Doable !

Definitely can not eliminate refs over 50. We have some great refs and they are almost all over 55. Thank you to these men and women whom do so. Increase their pay also! Having 3 refs for sectionals is more important then increasing game pay. Both are needed. With the foundation games, league playoff tourneys (should pay into this) and ticket sales from sectionals Increase sectional ticket cost by $3 all proceeds towards building ref system. Doable !

Most officials would accept a lower game fee to have a 3rd official. Just makes the game so much easier to officiate. Although there are some coaches who don’t like 3 officials because they believe more fouls are called.

it’s unfortunate but the refs called three fouls on Moreau early in the 4th and then swallowed their whistles. Zero fouls on alameda at that point. The game ended with Moreau having the same three. Alameda ended up well past five at the end of the game. It should be more consistent if the refs were consistent. Even then, alameda had a chance to go up by one but missed a putback layup. It was a good game.

LIke I said in my write up I thought this would be a close game but ultimately St Pats was the favorite.
Speed didn't dictate the game. In fact the complete opposite. Newman couldn't make an open shot and was scoreless in last 4 minutes. Newman had the lead in the 2nd half of this game and had plenty of opportunities to win.

A few critical moments.
1. Game starts off with Tech and Tatum Kurpinski misses both FT for Newman. They miss opportunity to be up 2-0.
2. End of 1st half newman is up by 1 and kid from St Pats hits a 30 footer at buzzer and all of a sudden newman down 2 at half. Big momentum shift.
3. Legend Hale wide open 3 with about 1 min left would have tied game. Miss....

Newman shoots about 25% from field and loses 42-37 to a good St Pats team. At times newman had 3 fresh, I soph, and 1 Jr on floor. The future is very bright for Newman. Hats off to St Pats. Solid bunch of kids who play tough.

Monty looked pretty good in other D2 game. They got sloppy in the 3rd but but pulled away later. I like them against a good Moreau team.

Monty vs St Pats for title with Monty taking D2.

like you said, Cardinal Newman will win, but St Pats might win too. Nailed it!

#nblisback #favoritetimeoftheyear

• Wow
Been the same story every year. I guess eventually you will be right. Always something missing, almost like they should schedule more of these teams in the off-season and not have 5 meetings with Monty and think it’s going to carry over into playoffs when it never does. But next sure I’m sure they’ll be 24-2 again, super high seed that played 1 team outside of the northbay get picked to go deep & lose early again disappointly ,,been story for years now

in all seriousness, the Frosh/Soph fab 5 is legit, Taylor is a good coach, one of these years is on the way sooner than later.

it’s unfortunate but the refs called three fouls on Moreau early in the 4th and then swallowed their whistles. Zero fouls on alameda at that point. The game ended with Moreau having the same three. Alameda ended up well past five at the end of the game. It should be more consistent if the refs were consistent. Even then, alameda had a chance to go up by one but missed a putback layup. It was a good game.
For what its worth the officiating was good in the Newman vs St Pats game. Didn't realize they were there and had no impact on the game other than calling a good one. Not an easy job and the good ones are getting "few".

like you said, Cardinal Newman will win, but St Pats might win too. Nailed it!

#nblisback #favoritetimeoftheyear
www.transferportal.com

• Haha
Reactions: larry legend33
STOP FOULING! stay on your damn feet

would it be to difficult
Of a task to put a officiating crew together that has at least worked 2 or 3 games together during the season so at least they have some Familiarity with there partner?
This wasn't a game where one lead officail
was training a newbie but it sure looked
Liked it there were several calls reversed
By the other official and it wasn't because
the other official had a better view it was because It was completely the wrong call.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT