Coaching Jobs Open

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
What jobs are open? I only know of a couple:
Moreau Catholic
Monte Vista (Watsonville)
St. Joe's

The Burlingame situation is a tough one. The program, once one of the better CCS public school outfits, has fallen on lean times. The 2022-23 team was minus four returning starters, three of whom transferred to private/parochial schools. The results were predicable, and bad. It gets more worrisome. The program will not have a gymnasium in 2023-24 (and perhaps in 2024-25 as well). Due to the razing of the current gym (to begin later in the spring) and the building of a new, two-story athletic/fitness center, the Panthers will be a road unit for both practices and games next season and maybe beyond. Whoever the new coach is, resurrecting the program will be a difficult task indeed.

Last edited:
Las Lomas has a couple issues:

1) Its main feeder school, Walnut Creek Intermediate, has never focused on competitive sports. I don't think they've ever had a competitive middle school team as they do at Stanley and Orinda Intermediate.

2) It is always impacted, it seems, meaning it can't accept any transfers, either within or out of district.

So to win there, you have to create your own program for middle school, and rely solely on the players within the attendance area, two things that few other schools have to deal with.

Here's a wild card: Jeff Sink, who has won more than 800 games, is coming to the East Bay. He's 71, but is looking to either build a program himself, or work as an assistant at a high-level school.

Reactions: CaliHoops23
Saint Joseph's?
with the current state of how things are at St. Joe's, doesn't seem like they're interested in being competitive. When Hippol leaves because he didn't have the support to run a program that was booming, doesn't show well.

As I understand it, St. Joseph Notre Dame is more interested in being an academically oriented school than an athletically oriented one. Hence their move to the BCL West with Head Royce, Bentley, College Prep and Athenian.

What I don't get about that move for St. Joseph if the stories above are true, couldn't they shift their aim to be more of an academic school that could be a good small school in sports. Doesn't feel like it has to be as anti athletics as they are portrayed to be.

A lot of it has to do with the expense and administrative demands of being successful at sports. If you need more enrollment, sports is free marketing. If you don't, successful athletics means more spending, more meetings with parents who wonder why their kid isn't playing, more potential issues with aggressive coaches and a lot more nights on the road for administrators.

A lot of it has to do with the expense and administrative demands of being successful at sports. If you need more enrollment, sports is free marketing. If you don't, successful athletics means more spending, more meetings with parents who wonder why their kid isn't playing, more potential issues with aggressive coaches and a lot more nights on the road for administrators.
Well said Clay. You are dead on.

Perfect example of this is Sierra Canyon. It's a private independent school that was average prior to Komaki's take over 11-12 years ago. Now, they are a juggernaut that has professional players sending their kids there in droves, they're on ESPN, and have applications up the yin yang to get into the school. It's not coincidence that this has happened. As Clay said, free press is good press, especially when you're a winner. I don't know why SJ's couldn't be both academic and athletic without having to compromise their athletic reputation. Pre-Hippol, the girls program was a joke. They won a little under Gevara, but he really made that program fly. I'd hate to think it was jealousy, but Lippi also was growing tired of it.

Doug Cardoni has replaced Bill Flitter at Campolindo. Doug was a JV coach/varsity assistant at Miramonte, and a varsity assistant at Carondelet. He lives in Lafayette.

wow this year:
Campo(filled)
Moreau
Dublin (filed)
West(tracy)
mountain house
Tracy high
Los Lomas
college park
St joes
hayward
Franklin(filled)
Oakland (dont understand this one)
Emerald high(new high school in Dublin)
Burlingame
Berean Christian( heard guy left. moved to the valley)
Bentley
Fremont(oak)
Lick Wilmerding
Los altos
Monte Vista (filled

20 schools. can anybody add to this list? Why do have this many? is the coaches? administration (mostly the prob)? this is what I remember off hand. and this is just on the girl's side. do we even have enough qualified coaches to go around to help these different communities?

Last edited:
wow this year:
Campo(filled)
Moreau
Dublin (filed)
West(tracy)
mountain house
Tracy high
Los Lomas
college park
St joes
hayward
Franklin(filled)
Oakland (dont understand this one)
Emerald high(new high school in Dublin)
Burlingame
Berean Christian( heard guy left. moved to the valley)
Bentley
Fremont(oak)
Lick Wilmerding
Los altos
Monte Vista (filled

20 schools. can anybody add to this list? Why do have this many? is the coaches? administration (mostly the prob)? this is what I remember off hand. and this is just on the girl's side. do we even have enough qualified coaches to go around to help these different communities?
My guess, a combination of wild parents, incompetent administration and inept coaches. Then you add the fact that there are not enough skilled players to fill rosters.
Is coop no longer at O High?

Here's a wild card: Jeff Sink, who has won more than 800 games, is coming to the East Bay. He's 71, but is looking to either build a program himself, or work as an assistant at a high-level school.
What does "coming" mean? To visit? To live? To work? To coach? Details?

Sink is moving to the area and somewhat interested in coaching again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT