ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching scam -- I think

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
So twice in the past month I received emails from a dad, supposedly, wanting me to work with his children on basketball.

The first one I handed off to Ultimate Fieldhouse, but the second one I paid more attention to. I asked where the dad had found my name, and he said "Online." So I looked myself up to see if anywhere online it said I did individual coaching, and it didn't. So I kept pressing the "dad" to tell me exactly where he got my name. When I wouldn't go any further without the specific website, he disappeared.

I still really can't figure out what was going on, because what was the scam? My wife suggested that maybe it had to do with insurance -- and so maybe the guy shows up with the kids, claims one of them gets hurt, and asks for my insurance. If I don't have any, he could say he'll sue or settle for some amount of money.

Seems a little farfetched to me, but what other motive could there be?

So did anybody else receive any emails like this? And if so, did you follow up?

And along that line, what kind of insurance do coaches/trainers need to have? It got me to thinking about maybe getting back into working with kids individually, but insurance is probably a good idea.

Reactions: coachlittle
So twice in the past month I received emails from a dad, supposedly, wanting me to work with his children on basketball.

The first one I handed off to Ultimate Fieldhouse, but the second one I paid more attention to. I asked where the dad had found my name, and he said "Online." So I looked myself up to see if anywhere online it said I did individual coaching, and it didn't. So I kept pressing the "dad" to tell me exactly where he got my name. When I wouldn't go any further without the specific website, he disappeared.

I still really can't figure out what was going on, because what was the scam? My wife suggested that maybe it had to do with insurance -- and so maybe the guy shows up with the kids, claims one of them gets hurt, and asks for my insurance. If I don't have any, he could say he'll sue or settle for some amount of money.

Seems a little farfetched to me, but what other motive could there be?

So did anybody else receive any emails like this? And if so, did you follow up?

And along that line, what kind of insurance do coaches/trainers need to have? It got me to thinking about maybe getting back into working with kids individually, but insurance is probably a good idea.
I've received the following about 5 different times:
Hi There,
How are you today? We are looking for a qualified coach for our 12 years old Daughter Helen. I was referred to you while looking out for a potential coach. We are making an inquiry to know if you will be available to coach her depending on your schedule and availability. If you are available, kindly get back to me with your rates. Availability and hopefully further arrangements can be made.
Regards
Colby

I’ve received it from a few different “people.” They’ve done some level of research because one even alluded to bringing their child to Clovis for me to train them. It’s def some level of scam but not sure what their angle/intent is? I don’t even respond anymore and block the email.

It's very odd. There seems to be nothing to gain ...

When my daughter (who now plays in college) started getting requests from parents of kids at the elementary school she attended to teach their kids, the first thing I had her do is to send them waiver & release of liability forms and ask them to return it signed before they even stepped onto the court to protect against any liability. In a case like Clay is describing I would ask the person to send a picture of their drivers license too, to verify that it is a legit person and then request an e-sign of a waiver document sent to their email (e-signatures are as cheap as $0.50 these days) before engaging further, some requests might be legit after all..Just my $0.02

Reactions: MC415
I have also received several of these emails. They all come to my school district email address and claim their children are homeschooled and looking for training. I did some research on what the scam is and found a few threads that claim you will receive a check for full payment for 10 or more trainings a day or two ahead of the first training, but then the day of training they have a family emergency and need you to refund them them the money before the check clears - and the check won't clear so you are out the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT