ADVERTISEMENT

Corner Bakery Shootout?

mkbgdns

Hall of Famer
Jul 4, 2001
Maybe missed older thread, but is it happening this year? If not, sorely missed...

Here is the great line-up for the Corner Bakery Showdown. Clay put together another great line-up. It is going to be a great day of basketball. We also are going to have some good food so come hungry.

Jan. 24, 2015

10:30: Campolindo vs. Encinal
12:00 Heritage vs. St. Mary's Berkeley
1:30: Presentation vs. Brookside Christian
3:30: Clayton Valley vs. Castro Valley
5:00: Carondelet vs. Pinewood
6:30: Miramonte vs. Berkeley
8:00 Pinole Valley vs. Alameda

We are doing a nice program. If you would like an ad in the program please contact me as soon as possible.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the event.

Art Thoms
Campolindo High School
925-878-5401

was hoping the Maxpreps listing was wrong…Miramonte v Berkeley? after a 31 point contest recently? Carondelet v Miramonte seems like a natural, or Miramonte v Brookside Christian. Pinewood is as good as Miramonte, so deserves a good matchup, but either Clet or BC would fill the bill (they've already played Miramonte). personally would love a rematch of last year's Open semi, decided in the final minute, not gonna happen this year if SMS and SI get the top two seeds. kinda who's the big fish in this year's smaller NCS pond...

since its a showdown, you could increase attendance by adding a hoedown…or by having top-notch match ups...

I like the hoedown -- and I'll let mkbgdns have the first dance.

The matchups aren't something I dictate, or want to dictate. I work with the coaches on the schedule, as there are a lot of moving parts, including but not limited to the teams' league schedule that week, and the following week.

We're still trying to make some moves, though ...

glad to hear your finger's still in the pie…you always do your best to provide a good show. If I gotta dance, I guarantee attendance will plummet. wait…is the first dance with you? That might work if we mover the event to Rossmoor...

Northbay and mkbgnds

I think 4 teams in the Corner Bakery Shootout will be in the open this year . I wish we could get a preview of the Open.
1030 Campolindo Vs Encinal
1200 Hertage Vs Presentation
130 Pinole Valley Vs Alameda
330 Clayton Valley Vs Castro Valley
500 SMB VS Pinewood
630 Carondelet Vs Berkeley
800 MM Vs Brookside Christian

This would be a nice built up to what everyone wants to see beside none of these games would be lopsided like some are going to be if it stays the same. Plus none of these team played each other during the year or the rest of the year until playoffs

Nice rework of the schedule, but we could do without a repeat of the Carondelet/Berkeley game. Carondelet has already beaten them by 20 and cleared the bench in the first half, with Hughes in early foul trouble.

Is it too late to invite SI? Would love to see the catholic girls from SF battle the catholic girls from the east bay.

I know but teams don't come to play teams that are right down the street( SMB Vs Berkeley) I would been nice SI vs Carondelet. Right now I only see 1 great game Carondelet Vs Pinewood. The rest of the big games will only be great the first half.

think if presentation didn't lose their best player then Presentation vs Brookside might have been good too.

ok, now that we're into it…gotta have Miramonte v Clet. currently #1, #2 in Eastbay girls' basketball poll, two most successful girls' programs east of the hills (stopping short of Stockton) this century, and have played each other--ONCE ! last spring. don't know if they've been ducking each other, but anything we can do to encourage an annual rivalry game between them would be good for Eastbay girls' basketball. Hey, where's this event being held, anyway? and BC v Pinewood doubles the number of gotta-see games at this event. I know that Berkeley-SMB is a non starter, but so should be Berkeley-M or Clet. Been there, done that. BDs matching the Berkeley powers against Clet, Pinewood doesn't yield must-see match ups. and the heck with the century, you're passing on the Eastbay girls' game of the year. not gonna happen in the Open. I live in Orinda, so I'm not biased or anything.

This post was edited on 1/10 1:10 PM by mkbgdns

mkbgdns your not listening to why I wouldn't match SMB VS Berkeley because why would make a teams come through the tunnel to play each other. When they can play each other without coming through the tunnel. Why would MM play Carondelet that's in their backyard too. That why I said MM vs Brookside and Carondelet VS Berkeley or SMSB. That makes the most sense right now to me!!!!!!!!! Didn't say no ones doesn't want to play anyone!!!!!!!!!!!! Never Said that at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whos not lisening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said it was non-starter, they playd each already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same with berkly versus mirasmount and carondowlay!!!!!!!!!!!!! get your glass cheeked!!!!!!!!!!! maymounty canondolay dont play eech other, maybe bade buss connections!!!!!!!!!! or chiken!!!!!! man 'em up!!!!!!!!!!

mkbgdns but you are saying they are the best right now in the eastbay why wouldn't they meet open. You saying 1 of the 2 will lose in the first round but you are saying they are the best right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does sound like you are confident in both teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other reason I think they don't play each of because the both belong to Cal Stars.

Smb has already beaten BHS early in the year. If they hadnt played them ok then..though I remember in one yr at the presenation shootout they had BHS playingvSMB in one game. All the way to san jose to play each other...

Just woke up, slumped over my computer. No memory of the last two hours, but feeling oddly satisfied.

Berkeley has lost by 19, 20, 31 to Clet, SMB, MM. Not marquee game material now.

Must show respect for far-traveling, out-of-section powerhouses BC and Pwood.

Afraid that the foursome for two marquee games (all there are in this field) leaves SMB odd girl out. Trying to match Berkeley with any of the other 5 doesn't add a 3rd marquee game.

I completely trust Clay's matchmaking capabilities, and he may not have flexibility at this point. Pwood is a superb team, their game v Clet will to be a must-see for fans in the area who don't have a horse in the race.

It looks like Brookside going to play Berkeley to next week. I think the one team that won by the fewest points head to heas with Berkeley should have to play them again. I trust Clay to just hope some adjustments are made because there is only one real good game right now Carondelet Vs Pinewood. I think there can be some adjust because everyone is playing in the same place but different times. Man Up Too What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you Talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please explain yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your own most recent rankings show MM, Clet, Pwood, BC as top 4 at this event. what's the problem? you gonna advance SMB if BC beats Berkeley by less than 19? or if BC wins by more than 19, that makes SMB better than Clet? you should either schedule an MRI or cop to your agenda here…having the best 4 dance is not it. seems to involve not leaving SMB out. the best four can dance, and Berkeley and SMB don't need to dance with each other.

p.s.--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

This post was edited on 1/10 5:28 PM by mkbgdns

Gotta love BD's transparency.

Berkeley gets a beat down by three teams and the team that is most merciful should be "required" to play Berkeley again. Funny stuff.

Ol'......Layer trying to be nice about but yes Jazzpt55 MM Vs Brookside and Carondelet vs Pinewood would be the best scenario games. Will it happen who knows but I think a lot people would be at both games and Might have to bring out both sides of the bleachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What does anybody think about that ???????????????????????

Completely agree with Jazz's line up up change. Presentation might appreciate the change as we'll if they played Berkeley rather than BC.

I hope these change aren't hard to make because that would some thing to see a pre view of the open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only speak for my own event: If the coaches don't like it, I don't do it.

This is not my event, it's the teams' event. As I said, there are a lot of factors involved in who plays who, and I know when I was working with a team at this level, every scheduling decision had lots of ramifications down the road -- and reasonable people could disagree on what was best for any individual school.

If it isn't what you'd like, I understand; I'm just happy that all these teams are gathering in one place on one day so that we can all get a look at some of the best teams in the area.

Tom Gonslaves has some great matchups in Stockton; there are outstanding games in Pittsburg; good games at Miramonte and shootouts with quality programs almost every weekend. I'm happy to be involved with one of them, and hope to see you all there.

Obviously you are saying Miramonte doesn't want to play Brookside...
as they have more to lose...
but why play a team you beat by 31 already

what do you learn by doing that????

the only obvious thing is that you're saying that, not Clay. consistent w your role as provocateur. by the way, I'd also like to see MM play BC. like me, you know NOTHING about how the match ups were determined, but are disappointed with at least two of them. take ownership of your opinion, don't cloak it in a misrepresentation of somebody else's statement. I'd call that my opinion, but it's in the syllabus of Honest Communication 101. unfortunately, not a prerequisite for Norcalpreps message boards.

This post was edited on 1/12 10:19 AM by mkbgdns

This post was edited on 1/12 10:37 AM by mkbgdns

This post was edited on 1/12 10:50 AM by mkbgdns

your reply to Clay's last post: "Obviously you are saying that Miramonte doesn't want to play Brookside Christian". Misrepresent yes. although I can understand your wanting to piggyback your opinion on Clay's credibility

Piggyback nope...just trying to get him to
dance a little...he didn't bite
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT