ADVERTISEMENT

COVID cancellations/postponements

My “anecdotal evidence” was in response to Sheldon Cooper’s conclusion that omnicron is “debilitating” to anyone not vax’d. Please.

I assure you I’m no anti-vax’r (I’m vax’d and boosted) and am rather educated at all aspects of the various COVID variants out there . Anyone who thinks wearing a cloth mask or shutting down travel or schools is going to slow this latest variant is sorely mistaken. The reality is that omnicron appears to be on par with measles as the most contagious virus in the world. Thankfully, as of now, it appears far less lethal than the prior COVID variants And has very little affect on those who are Vax’d. most analysis out there show about 70% of vaccinated persons are asymptomatic when they get omnicron, and the others get mild symptoms. The speed that it is spreading will likely make the next month or two tough as we will face staffing challenges across all aspects of labor, mixed in with our idiot government trying to initiate mandates which will continue to be useless. Much of the reason for the intense spread is that omnicron affects the upper respiratory system making it easier to transmit (and also far less serious to most).

The reality is most of us will get omnicron (you may not even know you’ve already had it), and will move forward no worse for the wear.
to say closing travel and school will do nothing isnt true either. i get it wont stop it period but less interaction surely would help.
for example, i went out last night to a night club in san jose. it was wall to wall people with a few wearing mask. i am sure it was spreading like wild fire. this was the 3rd place i been this week in such settings. as well as i work in a large office with many co workers, i am going to the ucla game tonight. see if these things were not allowed we would not have come in contact. so closing does sort of work.

My “anecdotal evidence” was in response to Sheldon Cooper’s conclusion that omnicron is “debilitating” to anyone not vax’d. Please.

I assure you I’m no anti-vax’r (I’m vax’d and boosted) and am rather educated at all aspects of the various COVID variants out there . Anyone who thinks wearing a cloth mask or shutting down travel or schools is going to slow this latest variant is sorely mistaken. The reality is that omnicron appears to be on par with measles as the most contagious virus in the world. Thankfully, as of now, it appears far less lethal than the prior COVID variants And has very little affect on those who are Vax’d. most analysis out there show about 70% of vaccinated persons are asymptomatic when they get omnicron, and the others get mild symptoms. The speed that it is spreading will likely make the next month or two tough as we will face staffing challenges across all aspects of labor, mixed in with our idiot government trying to initiate mandates which will continue to be useless. Much of the reason for the intense spread is that omnicron affects the upper respiratory system making it easier to transmit (and also far less serious to most).

The reality is most of us will get omnicron (you may not even know you’ve already had it), and will move forward no worse for the wear.
While I agree with a handful of things here, claiming you are well educated on the matter directly followed up with the shutting down schools and travel won't slow this thing down almost made me spit up my coffee (won't even go into the multiple misspellings of omicron - hint it is an anagram of moronic.)

FTR, I am not calling for the shutting down of anything (flying internationally tonite.) We do, however, need to be more proactive in stopping the spread. N95/N94 in indoor public spaces needs to be enforced as well as more frequent testing and if you are sick stay the eff home. Despite being fully vaxxed I still mask and test 2-3x/week. I am not worried about myself so much as not wanting to pass it on to my immunocompromised parents or to someone who may not be able to get vaxxed and reducing the probability that, god forbid, someone I care about has to go to the ICU, that it is not full. We might not be able to stop it anytime soon, but we need to continue to mitigate until that time comes.

Reactions: Rmbr26
While I agree with a handful of things here, claiming you are well educated on the matter directly followed up with the shutting down schools and travel won't slow this thing down almost made me spit up my coffee (won't even go into the multiple misspellings of omicron - hint it is an anagram of moronic.)

FTR, I am not calling for the shutting down of anything (flying internationally tonite.) We do, however, need to be more proactive in stopping the spread. N95/N94 in indoor public spaces needs to be enforced as well as more frequent testing and if you are sick stay the eff home. Despite being fully vaxxed I still mask and test 2-3x/week. I am not worried about myself so much as not wanting to pass it on to my immunocompromised parents or to someone who may not be able to get vaxxed and reducing the probability that, god forbid, someone I care about has to go to the ICU, that it is not full. We might not be able to stop it anytime soon, but we need to continue to mitigate until that time comes.
had me confused too. says he has the knowledge of it but comes with the shutting things down wont help. like huh??
i too dont want things shut down either but to say it wont help is nonsense. that said going out again tonight to spread the omarion. gotta load up the roster again

Reactions: Mo Green
dude shut the f up. This is a hoop forum.
go talk Covid and politics on some other forum. Your an annoying flea.
The thread is literally titled covid cancellations and you came in guns blazing that it is less than a common cold. Don't bite off more than you can chew chief.

Reactions: SmoothJay

And yet the ICU's of the nation, are overwhelmed with the sick and dying.
Your example is a little simplistic.

Here's wishing you great hoops

And yet the ICU's of the nation, are overwhelmed with the sick and dying.
Your example is a little simplistic.

Here's wishing you great hoops
Over 90% of those hospitalized are unvaccinated.( Over 97% in NYC. ) so should we focus on wearing stupid cloth masks, or focus on educating people and drop the ‘fear campaign’ to the vast majority of us?
Hospitalizations are increasing (and that is if some concer), but they are still well below half of where we were the same time last year (despite many more active cases). Many of those COVID cases in hospitals are there for other reasons and simply tested positive once at the hospital. I believe the larger concern relates to less hospital staff due to ‘sick days’ relating to omicron.. As I stated previously, cloth masks, travel bans, and other ridiculous regulations (like ‘wear your mask as you walk into a restaurant, but then take it off at your table”. Yeah, that’ll keep us all safe.) will do nothing to slow omicrons spread. Its simply inevitable. With so many asymtomatic cases, this variant will be passed from those who have no clue they even have it.

IMHO we can’t continue to hide from this, and the omicron variant is actually an opportunity for us to truly gain some potential herd immunity. If you are truly concerned, stay home or away from indoor crowds, wear an N95 mask, etc. but for those of us healthy and vax’d, keep living life.

stay safe.

Last edited:
Over 90% of those hospitalized are unvaccinated.( Over 97% in NYC. ) so should we focus on wearing stupid cloth masks, or focus on educating people and drop the ‘fear campaign’ to the vast majority of us?
Hospitalizations are increasing (and that is if some concer), but they are still well below half of where we were the same time last year (despite many more active cases). Many of those COVID cases in hospitals are there for other reasons and simply tested positive once at the hospital. I believe the larger concern relates to less hospital staff due to ‘sick days’ relating to omicron.. As I stated previously, cloth masks, travel bans, and other ridiculous regulations (like ‘wear your mask as you walk into a restaurant, but then take it off at your table”. Yeah, that’ll keep us all safe.) will do nothing to slow omicrons spread. Its simply inevitable. With so many asymtomatic cases, this variant will be passed from those who have no clue they even have it.

IMHO we can’t continue to hide from this, and the omicron variant is actually an opportunity for us to truly gain some potential herd immunity. If you are truly concerned, stay home or away from indoor crowds, wear an N95 mask, etc. but for those of us healthy and vax’d, keep living life.

stay safe.
to say it does nothing is just not correct. i agree it wont ever stop but nothing?
its like wearing a condom or a seat belt. it isnt meant to stop all but wearing it stops some.
and you know it isnt the healthy and vax that are the concerns it is passing it to the not healthy and vax.
i do still live life and go as i please but i get how some are worried.

The reality is most of us will get omnicron (you may not even know you’ve already had it), and will move forward no worse for the

Mitigation is a simple, one word, mantra one would think ALL would be content with.
However, respiratory transmission (versus other viruses such as HIV/HepB) especially when the R value is above 2-3 (Alpha~3,Delta~5, Omicron-~4) must involve Public Health measures.

Not in favor? Relocate in a Boeing or Airbus to a nation with scant or outdated healthcare (think OURS are overjoyed saving lives of the 90+% non-vaxxers?) infrastructure and damn the intrusion into "personal freedoms."

Mitigation is a simple, one word, mantra one would think ALL would be content with.
However, respiratory transmission (versus other viruses such as HIV/HepB) especially when the R value is above 2-3 (Alpha~3,Delta~5, Omicron-~4) must involve Public Health measures.

Not in favor? Relocate in a Boeing or Airbus to a nation with scant or outdated healthcare (think OURS are overjoyed saving lives of the 90+% non-vaxxers?) infrastructure and damn the intrusion into "personal freedoms."
I think most of us would be content with MITIGATION if it were done using some consistency and common sense. Remember the ‘follow the science mantra’ everyone loved to use back in 2020? How laughable is that slogon now as guidance, and rules, change almost daily? And if you consider MITIGATION me being required to wear a cloth mask as I walk to a table, in a restaurant full of unmasked people, then yeah, I’m not in favor. That’s sounds VERY a scientific.

Public Health measures must be put into place you say? When COVID first reached us, our public health officials stated ”10 days quarantine“ if you test positive, to keep us all safe. A month ago our Nation’s Public Health leaders then decided now we only need “5 days of quarantine“, maybe the science changed huh? What, not good enough you say? Fine, how about this doozy- California’s Department of Public Health has now decided, hospitals and medical care workers who test positive don’t even need to quarantine at all, as long as they feel OK. And no requirement to be vax’d either. Wow, ”follow that science” indeed.

“CDPH in a weekend letter said health care workers who test positive for the coronavirus but are asymptomatic “may return to work immediately without isolation and without testing.”

So when you refer to ‘Public Health measures‘ and Mitigation being ”simple”, forgive some of us from chuckling a bit.

Stay Safe

Last edited:
I think most of us would be content with MITIGATION if it were done using some consistency and common sense. Remember the ‘follow the science mantra’ everyone loved to use back in 2020? How laughable is that mantra now as guidance, and rules, change almost daily, and fly directly in the face of ’science’? And if you consider MITIGATION me being required to wear a cloth mask as I walk to a table, in a restaurant full of unmasked people, then yeah, I’m not in favor. That’s sounds VERY a scientific.

Public Health measures must be put into place you say? When COVID first reached us, our public health officials stated ”10 days quarantine“ if you test positive, to keep us all safe. A month ago our Nation’s Public Health leaders then decided now we only need “5 days of quarantine“, maybe the science changed huh? What, not good enough you say? Fine, how about this doozy- California’s Department of Public Health has now decided, hospitals and medical care workers who test positive don’t even need to quarantine at all, as long as they feel OK. And no requirement to be vax’d either. Wow, ”follow that science” indeed.

“CDPH in a weekend letter said health care workers who test positive for the coronavirus but are asymptomatic “may return to work immediately without isolation and without testing.”

So when you refer to ‘Public Health measures‘ and Mitigation being ”simple”, forgive some of us from chuckling a bit.

Stay Safe
I think the 5 day quarantine is for vaxxed and boistered who may get a positive test. I believe it is still ten days for unvaxxed or at least that is the way it should be as science has showb if you are vaxxed and boostered, you are not likely to be as fatal as though who are unvaxxed. Just trying to put logoc to the guidelines but as always tje politicos will do as they pleade and ignore advice of health officials yet us irdinary Joe's who dare to ho against the health care advice are goibgvto be prrsecuted for doing so.

I think the 5 day quarantine is for vaxxed and boistered who may get a positive test. I believe it is still ten days for unvaxxed or at least that is the way it should be as science has showb if you are vaxxed and boostered, you are not likely to be as fatal as though who are unvaxxed. Just trying to put logoc to the guidelines but as always tje politicos will do as they pleade and ignore advice of health officials yet us irdinary Joe's who dare to ho against the health care advice are goibgvto be prrsecuted for doing so.
You obviously haven’t been watching the news lately. “NO QUARANTINE (ie “0” days) for healthcare workers who test positive if they don’t show symptoms”

please explain that new science….and GO.

You misunderstand. The quarantine is no longer 10 days the healthcare workers still have to quarantine 5 days and if no symptoms on day six they return to work. That is the new protocol as my partner is a healthxare worker who did test positive had to quarantine 5 days and on day 6 when they had no more symptoms were told to return to work

You obviously haven’t been watching the news lately. “NO QUARANTINE (ie “0” days) for healthcare workers who test positive if they don’t show symptoms”

please explain that new science….and GO.

You misunderstand. The quarantine is no longer 10 days the healthcare workers still have to quarantine 5 days and if no symptoms on day six they return to work. That is the new protocol as my partner is a healthxare worker who did test positive had to quarantine 5 days and on day 6 when they had no more symptoms were told to return to work
I misunderstand?? LOL You may want to learn how to use the Google search function or simply stop repeating information from last month. California has changed yet again, as it appears we only follow science nowadays when it’s convenient.

Now go use that SEARCH function and get back to us. 😀

Last edited:
Thanks for helping to make my point ankleassassin.

Just weeks after the CDC‘s update that you posted above, the CDPH ignored the CDC and announced its own ‘No quarantine needed for medical and healthcare employees who test positive but have no symptoms’. There is no change in science to support these changes. It’s simply adjusting for convenience and avoidance of too many employees out on ‘sick leave’ because the reality is that this new strain is far more contagious, and seemingly far less likely to cause any serious symptoms (or no symptoms in many cases). Real science in action. LOL

Last edited:
I thought we should have a thread to update on cancellations and postponements of games related to COVID issues.
Agreed! I was just at St. Mary's-Berkeley and arrived at an empty parking lot and a dark gym. I didn't see any indication beforehand it was canceled.

Thanks for helping to make my point ankleassassin.

Just weeks after the CDC‘s update that you posted above, the CDPH ignored the CDC and announced its own ‘No quarantine needed for medical and healthcare employees who test positive but have no symptoms’. There is no change in science to support these changes. It’s simply adjusting for convenience and avoidance of too many employees out on ‘sick leave’ because the reality is that this new strain is far more contagious, and seemingly far less likely to cause any serious symptoms (or no symptoms in many cases). Real science in action. LOL
well they all said they have symptoms so no matter what they are quarinting. far too many employers are making their employees work as well with positive test. i know nothing about science as i had some nice smart girls doing my science work but i trust those doctors.

I think most of us would be content with MITIGATION if it were done using some consistency and common sense. Remember the ‘follow the science mantra’ everyone loved to use back in 2020? How laughable is that slogon now as guidance, and rules, change almost daily? And if you consider MITIGATION me being required to wear a cloth mask as I walk to a table, in a restaurant full of unmasked people, then yeah, I’m not in favor. That’s sounds VERY a scientific.

Stay Safe
"When Covid first reached us.." you say 10 days quarantine. You betcha padnuh....then 11 months later Vaxx 1 for HCPs and then 15 months in, Vaxx for the general public.
That's why things change....capisce?

And what's changed? The science you say. Not so fast. The virus' abilities to infect has changed, the ability to battle the pandemic via vaccines, boosters, social distancing and limiting super-spreader events (you deny they happen?!) That's not a change in science. That's an accumulation and ADAPTATION to an event not seen in a century, not long after Louis Pasteur died and Marie Curie was still in her lab. LOL

Fact checking your false narrative ("no requirement (of HCP) to be Vaxxed") negates any point of acceptance by your audience:

Fact checking your false narrative ("no requirement (of HCP) to be Vaxxed") negates any point of acceptance by your audience:

So let us get this right- you used a link that is 4 months old to FACT CHECK my comment about “new guidance“ by CDPH? LOL what part of the term ‘new guidance’ wasn’t clear to you?

Anyone who understands the basics of Google Search can find the truth for themselves. It was pretty big news a week or so ago, seems you missed it. in fairness, it was quickly reported and then primarily ignored by the media, so I’ll add a link for you and ‘your audience’.

So now you’ve now been FACT CHECKED. Where should I send the crow for you to eat? “False Narrative” indeed.

Stay Safe

Last edited:
Not to take a side here or anything, but it should also be noted that this "return to work immediately" thing is temporary due to staff shortages and, as things stand now, expires Feb. 1.

Not to take a side here or anything, but it should also be noted that this "return to work immediately" thing is temporary due to staff shortages and, as things stand now, expires Feb. 1
Correct kiddman.

So for those keeping score at home - “please follow the science” and stay home so we don’t spread this deadly disease. Unless of course, you live in California, where apparently its not quite as important to “follow the science“ as it is for the rest of the country. So in California, we‘d like our hospital and healthcare workers to “ignore the science” and come back to work, even after testing positive for this DEADLY disease. But please note, in another month or so, we’d like them to return to ”following the science” again.

Did I get that right?

Very scientific.

BTW- glad you recovered Kiddman.

Stay Safe

Last edited:
I'm sure they are hating the fact that they have to do this, but qualified health-care workers don't grow on trees, and the hospitals, etc. MUST be staffed.

I'm sure they are hating the fact that they have to do this, but qualified health-care workers don't grow on trees, and the hospitals, etc. MUST be staffed.
Understand. To bad they fired so many qualified healthcare workers last Fall. Me thinks a healthy unvax’d HC worker who doesn’t have Covid, would be a safer option for our hospitals than a vax’d HC worker with an active case of COVID.

Stay Safe

Biggie talking big on NCP.

A week ago, the SCOTUS (6-3) blocked a fed mandate for large companies Vaxx mandate.

THIS week, (8-1) they upheld the same for the largest health care entity in the US.

Geez, those Justices just aren't very smart. Are they?

BTW, isn't this pandemic thing just a hoax?

Biggie talking big on NCP.

A week ago, the SCOTUS (6-3) blocked a fed mandate for large companies Vaxx mandate.

THIS week, (8-1) they upheld the same for the largest health care entity in the US.

BTW, isn't this pandemic thing just a hoax?
never said anything was a hoax. I wouldnt be vax’d and boosted if I believed that. What I did say was that California changed its rules around HCP and you argued with me and went as far as to “FACT CHECK” me using old and out of date information. You were subsequently proven wrong by everyone on BOTH sides, then a week later you come back on here and ignore the fact that you were the one posting FALSE info. Did I get that all correct?

Maybe you should go back to the kiddie table and let adults who disagree have a reasonable conversation. In the mean time, you can brush up on how to do a “google search“ before you stick your foot in your mouth again.

Stay Safe

never said anything was a hoax. I wouldnt be vax’d and boosted if I believed that. What I did say was that California changed its rules around HCP and you argued with me and went as far as to “FACT CHECK” me using old and out of date information. You were subsequently proven wrong by everyone on BOTH sides, then a week later you come back on here and ignore the fact that you were the one posting FALSE info. Did I get that all correct?

Maybe you should go back to the kiddie table and let adults who disagree have a reasonable conversation. In the mean time, you can brush up on how to do a “google search“ before you stick your foot in your mouth again.

Stay Safe
My hoax comment was generalized. Or I would have quoted .
"Reasonable conversation..." I guess that's what why you didn't attack Kidman with the "kiddie" label when he refuted exactly why HCP guidelines MUST be fluid if hospitals are to be able to serve the public, check that, the unvaccinated.

Kudos to Biggie for Vaxx x 2 + Boost.... he's absolutely protecting HIMSELF. For those who have done so, he seems to support 'getting out there, live your life' ... I guess a pandemic has nothing to do with asymptomatic carriers.

Pi Rho Sigma Tau....

The one that isn't smart is you. If you had the common sense to READ the rulings you would know that health care workers fall under a Federal mandate because health care benefits are often paid with FEDERAL dollars. Businesses that do Federal work have been covered under mandates from the start. SCOTUS made clear that CONGRESS had to pass a law for mandates on employers NOT having Federal contracts and that OSHA was never given the authority to make such mandates. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

The one that isn't smart is you. If you had the common sense to READ the rulings you would know that health care workers fall under a Federal mandate because health care benefits are often paid with FEDERAL dollars. Businesses that do Federal work have been covered under mandates from the start. SCOTUS made clear that CONGRESS had to pass a law for mandates on employers NOT having Federal contracts and that OSHA was never given the authority to make such mandates. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.
Reading is fundamental?
I could've stated the Fed decision was for Medicare et al. And the opposite decision for private employers.
My point? Even the SCOTUS has to make fluid decisions during a pandemic.

Reading between the lines is advanced.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT