ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle vs San Ramon Valley

Cal 14

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not hyperbole, this may be the most important regular season game in NCS history. Not because this is the first time DLS will have faced a legitimate challenge for section supremacy, but because of the changes the section made to the playoff structure.

This new Open was designed with the idea that the Spartans were the dominant program and that there might only be one reasonable challenger to that. This year, that may not be the case. While I don't personally view Pittsburg to quite be in that stratosphere, they are still undefeated and I'm not sure that can be ignored.

In the past, DLS has successfully argued that despite a few losses, history matters and that should mean they deserve the top seed in the NCS playoffs. Ok, but could they still make that argument with a loss to the Wolves this weekend? If they lose, do they get the #2 seed in the playoffs? It's not as if the Pirates built their undefeated record against weak competition... Granite Bay, California, and Los Gatos are all quality teams. Does the NCS say that DLS deserves a second shot at SRV in the playoffs? Would they afford the Wolves the same consideration if they fall to the Spartans in a competitive game?

Pitt has an argument that was created by the CIF, itself. Serra knocked off the Spartans a few weeks ago and, due to the state playoff structure, they don't get a second shot at the Padres. Yes, they did get a second shot at Folsom last year, but that was in a lower division. You can state that if DLS were to get a second shot at SRV, it should be in a lower division.

So, what do you do? Leave Pitt out in the cold either way? Or do you replace the loser of this week's game with the Pirates, stating that they had their chance already? I don't see any strong challenger for Pitt the rest of the year except for maybe Liberty.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that Pitt should get the #2 seed. The loser of this week's game still has a shot at the D-I title, but this would mean that the overall dominance of DLS over the NCS is at stake this weekend. If this come to fruition, the Spartan streak of top NCS titles could come to an end before the playoffs even start.

As for the game itself, DLS has done a very good job against two good passing teams in Folsom and St. Mary's. Can they put together that type of effort against SRV? The Wolves did a really good job against one-dimensional McClymonds, eventually wearing them down in the second half for an offensive explosion. While the DLS conditioning is legendary, one could argue that this is what Orange Lutheran did to the Spartans. Calpreps has this game as a 7-point win for SRV.

You'll all see my prediction in the Pick'Em on Friday.

What is really interesting here is how the calpreps algorithm came to this conclusion. DLS has better wins than SRV and even their losses have higher ratings than some SRV wins. DLS is rated higher overall (55.5 to 53.5) and homefield advantage doesn't usually provide that much of a bump.

What is really interesting here is how the calpreps algorithm came to this conclusion. DLS has better wins than SRV and even their losses have higher ratings than some SRV wins. DLS is rated higher overall (55.5 to 53.5) and homefield advantage doesn't usually provide that much of a bump.
There are two algorithms. One for the rating and one for the predictions. My guess is that the predictions do not have the score cap.

Reactions: MTsince2004
SRV has quality wins. I don't believe that anyone that understands NorCal HS FB can argue against that. With that said, on paper, DLS has better wins. Two things:
1- The on paper part should favor DLS
2- The fact that SRV has their schedule and has done what they've done, IMO, equates to a question mark, at the least, as far as their true potential/level of play.

For the pick 'ems, I'm still going to take DLS as a high point pick...but I believe SRV definitely belongs in the conversation.

SRV has quality wins. I don't believe that anyone that understands NorCal HS FB can argue against that. With that said, on paper, DLS has better wins. Two things:
1- The on paper part should favor DLS
2- The fact that SRV has their schedule and has done what they've done, IMO, equates to a question mark, at the least, as far as their true potential/level of play.

For the pick 'ems, I'm still going to take DLS as a high point pick...but I believe SRV definitely belongs in the conversation.
Yes, they do have high-quality wins. It's just that DLS has wins against higher-quality opponents.

Against a common opponent, SRV has a bigger win, so there is that in their favor.

What SRV is about to expose on Friday is the fact that De La Salle can no longer compete and win against NorCal’s best teams. I won’t be surprised if DLS loses by more than a touchdown Friday, or if DLS loses the NCS championship this year

What SRV is about to expose on Friday is the fact that De La Salle can no longer compete and win against NorCal’s best teams.
Didn’t they already beat Folsom? For all we know SRV could be better than Folsom this year, but this is where a little history and track record come in to play for me.

Folsom is arguably the number two NorCal team the past decade, I don't think that’s even debatable. And I think Folsom runs the SFL and make a deep run if not wins the SJS this year.

On the whole Norcal is down. But I still think De La Salle can compete and win against any and every NorCal team. Nationally elite top 25 teams no. National 26 through 100 yep.

Didn’t they already beat Folsom? For all we know SRV could be better than Folsom this year, but this is where a little history and track record come in to play for me.

Folsom is arguably the number two NorCal team the past decade, I don't think that’s even debatable. And I think Folsom runs the SFL and make a deep run if not wins the SJS this year.

Because of how the SJS divided up its divisions this year, Folsom is almost a lock in D-I. Only injuries could stop them. (I suspect that the section did this to counter what the NCS and CCS have done, btw. The CS may have done the same.)

On the whole Norcal is down.

Maybe, but I would also say that other sections may also be stronger than normal.

While we often think of the SS as a 2- or 3-headed monster (MD, SJB, CC), Sierra Canyon, Santa Margarita, JSerra, and Orange Lutheran (at full strength) are also really good this year. The SDS is having a banner year with Helix, Carlsbad, and Lincoln (I think Tennis has Granite Hills a little too high right now).

But I still think De La Salle can compete and win against any and every NorCal team. Nationally elite top 25 teams no. National 26 through 100 yep.
I don't think DLS is beating Serra this year in any sort of rematch. Veer, spread, whatever... nothing worked against the Padres. Spartans hanging with national top 25? No way. 25-50? Still probably not. 50-150? This is probably where they reside, IMO.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a great matchup for SRV. DLS Speed and secondary is very good. They made it miserable for Folsom all game against one of the best and most athletic QB’s in norcal. (Lyons). Will it be a close game? I absolutely think so. I expect something like 24-17 but I’m still on the side that DLS wins this one.

As for Folsom and SJS, you have a potentially much stronger Central Catholic team with all of there transfers ther could make it interesting. OR was tied in 4th and then wheels came off bus. They played Folsom 2x last year and the 2nd game for SJS section was very close. Could they pull upset? Doubtful but not impossible. Somebody needs to play error free and put an entire game together. Otherwise Folsom will run table.

Not hyperbole, this may be the most important regular season game in NCS history. Not because this is the first time DLS will have faced a legitimate challenge for section supremacy, but because of the changes the section made to the playoff structure.

This new Open was designed with the idea that the Spartans were the dominant program and that there might only be one reasonable challenger to that. This year, that may not be the case. While I don't personally view Pittsburg to quite be in that stratosphere, they are still undefeated and I'm not sure that can be ignored.

In the past, DLS has successfully argued that despite a few losses, history matters and that should mean they deserve the top seed in the NCS playoffs. Ok, but could they still make that argument with a loss to the Wolves this weekend? If they lose, do they get the #2 seed in the playoffs? It's not as if the Pirates built their undefeated record against weak competition... Granite Bay, California, and Los Gatos are all quality teams. Does the NCS say that DLS deserves a second shot at SRV in the playoffs? Would they afford the Wolves the same consideration if they fall to the Spartans in a competitive game?

Pitt has an argument that was created by the CIF, itself. Serra knocked off the Spartans a few weeks ago and, due to the state playoff structure, they don't get a second shot at the Padres. Yes, they did get a second shot at Folsom last year, but that was in a lower division. You can state that if DLS were to get a second shot at SRV, it should be in a lower division.

So, what do you do? Leave Pitt out in the cold either way? Or do you replace the loser of this week's game with the Pirates, stating that they had their chance already? I don't see any strong challenger for Pitt the rest of the year except for maybe Liberty.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that Pitt should get the #2 seed. The loser of this week's game still has a shot at the D-I title, but this would mean that the overall dominance of DLS over the NCS is at stake this weekend. If this come to fruition, the Spartan streak of top NCS titles could come to an end before the playoffs even start.

As for the game itself, DLS has done a very good job against two good passing teams in Folsom and St. Mary's. Can they put together that type of effort against SRV? The Wolves did a really good job against one-dimensional McClymonds, eventually wearing them down in the second half for an offensive explosion. While the DLS conditioning is legendary, one could argue that this is what Orange Lutheran did to the Spartans. Calpreps has this game as a 7-point win for SRV.

You'll all see my prediction in the Pick'Em on Friday.
The Winner of this game is the EBAL Champ and the #1 seed in the NCS open and PITT will be #2, assuming they stay undefeated…. If they drop a game then we may see DLS and SRV both in the NCS open….

The Difference between DLS and SRV is DLS has already beat 2 teams that have Offenses as good or better than SRV…. In fact, both Folsom and ST Mary’s would likely be favored in a game against SRV….

The Bye will benefit DLS and their Defense and that will be the difference in this game… SRV didn’t play DLS last year and the year before lost like 48-14…. It’s one thing to watch a team on film, but another to see the speed and physicality in person, I don’t think SRV will be ready for this….

So I have DLS winning 28-14, I think SRV is a terrific team with a terrific QB, but DLS has figured things out….

The Winner of this game is the EBAL Champ and the #1 seed in the NCS open and PITT will be #2, assuming they stay undefeated…. If they drop a game then we may see DLS and SRV both in the NCS open….

The Difference between DLS and SRV is DLS has already beat 2 teams that have Offenses as good or better than SRV…. In fact, both Folsom and ST Mary’s would likely be favored in a game against SRV….

The Bye will benefit DLS and their Defense and that will be the difference in this game… SRV didn’t play DLS last year and the year before lost like 48-14…. It’s one thing to watch a team on film, but another to see the speed and physicality in person, I don’t think SRV will be ready for this….

So I have DLS winning 28-14, I think SRV is a terrific team with a terrific QB, but DLS has figured things out….
Generally, I think people like seeing the upset so we can gloss other things that deter that outlook. We saw a similar thing with Folsom in the SFL.

In this matchup, I do think San Ramon Valley's passing game is better than Folsom's and St. Mary's when they played the Spartans. However, I think De La Salle is really good against the pass and are more vulnerable against the run.

I'm picking De La Salle, but this gets more interesting if SRV can get an early lead. I don't think DLS has played from behind much (if at all) since the loss to Serra.

Reactions: THEOC89
Generally, I think people like seeing the upset so we can gloss other things that deter that outlook. We saw a similar thing with Folsom in the SFL.

In this matchup, I do think San Ramon Valley's passing game is better than Folsom's and St. Mary's when they played the Spartans. However, I think De La Salle is really good against the pass and are more vulnerable against the run.

I'm picking De La Salle, but this gets more interesting if SRV can get an early lead. I don't think DLS has played from behind much (if at all) since the loss to Serra.
This is key here. One of the main reasons DLS was able to outlast McClymonds was because the Warriors didn't have a passing game that could get them out of trouble. DLS, on the other hand, mostly just kept themselves out of trouble. The Spartans D ended up posting a shutout.

But so did SRV. The lone score for Mac came on a kick return.

Much like McClymonds, DLS has not been able to utilize a passing game... really all that much in any capacity, but certainly not as a means to come back against Serra or Orange Lutheran. You're right, if the Spartans fall behind, they could be in trouble.

Enjoy the dialog and the "historic" potential. Even Sabreda of the East Bay Times keeps writing about "streaks," as the NCS win tally (the remaining streak) is 30 years now?!

Best EBAL-deLa game I've seen: 2011 Cal High vs Sparty three blocks away from Lad's house in San Ramon. Both teams 9-0. Week 10. 5,000 fans. 3 1/2 minutes to go Cal gets 6, now down by 6. Onside kick, goes ten yards Cal recovers! Wait. DeLa has the ball on the CHS 40?.

The soccer K pooched straight up, touched FIRST in the air by a Grizzly, 15 yards downfield. That's illegal touching in HS. Quick score. 2 pointer successful. Up 14, game over

Who knew that rule? BTW, Cal blown out at the Coliseum four weeks later by 4 TDs.

I agree that DLS falling behind is a recipe for disaster for the Spartans and that is my biggest concern…. While I think the Bye week helps the defense it may hurt the offense with timing and execution early in the game…..

I do think that the DLS o line is playing very well, they are big, in shape and physical…. I think they will be able to control the game….

And while I think it’s a 28-14 DLS win, I would not be surprised by an SRV upset because they have a great QB and anything can happen in HSFB!….

I agree that DLS falling behind is a recipe for disaster for the Spartans and that is my biggest concern…. While I think the Bye week helps the defense it may hurt the offense with timing and execution early in the game…..

I do think that the DLS o line is playing very well, they are big, in shape and physical…. I think they will be able to control the game….

And while I think it’s a 28-14 DLS win, I would not be surprised by an SRV upset because they have a great QB and anything can happen in HSFB!….
SRV started very slow against a pretty bad CVC team last weekend. They can’t afford that against DLS. I look at it the other way. Getting down against DLS is a death sentence. There aren’t many hs teams that can chew clock like they do.

SRV started very slow against a pretty bad CVC team last weekend. They can’t afford that against DLS. I look at it the other way. Getting down against DLS is a death sentence. There aren’t many hs teams that can chew clock like they do.
Nailed it Legend!…. I saw CVC’s offense in person and it is not good…. Their defense isn’t great eaither….

SRV’s Defense will be the issue…. They do not have the combination of size and speed you need to beat DLS…. Serra benefitted greatly form DLS running that stupid offense … DLS will do what is does best and play a game like they did against Folsom and ST Mary’s….

And they will likely have a new wrinkle of 2 for SRV…. SRV has a great QB and LB, they will be formatable, but DLS will just be too much….

Last edited:
Nailed it Legend!…. I saw CVC’s offense in person and it is not good…. Their defense isn’t great eaither….

SRV’s Defense will be the issue…. They do not have the combination of size and speed you need to beat DLS…. Serra benefitted greatly form DLS running that stupid offense … DLS will do what is does best and play a game like they did against Folsom and ST Mary’s….

And they will likely have a new wrinkle of 2 for SRV…. SRV has a great QB and LB, they will be formatable, but DLS will just be too much….
Exactly! The SRV LB is like Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont HS for us old school folks. Holy cow is that kid a player. A true 5 star type.

Kidman will have to keep us posted!

Exactly! The SRV LB is like Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont HS for us old school folks. Holy cow is that kid a player. A true 5 star type.

Kidman will have to keep us posted!
He has more physical tools, but he reminds me of Tanner Vallejo at Nevada Union. Puts up silly numbers wherever he lines up

Enjoy the dialog and the "historic" potential. Even Sabreda of the East Bay Times keeps writing about "streaks," as the NCS win tally (the remaining streak) is 30 years now?!

Best EBAL-deLa game I've seen: 2011 Cal High vs Sparty three blocks away from Lad's house in San Ramon. Both teams 9-0. Week 10. 5,000 fans. 3 1/2 minutes to go Cal gets 6, now down by 6. Onside kick, goes ten yards Cal recovers! Wait. DeLa has the ball on the CHS 40?.

The soccer K pooched straight up, touched FIRST in the air by a Grizzly, 15 yards downfield. That's illegal touching in HS. Quick score. 2 pointer successful. Up 14, game over

Who knew that rule? BTW, Cal blown out at the Coliseum four weeks later by 4 TDs.
Omg, I would have been sick over that. I always thought once the ball goes 10 yard's it's either teams ball that recovers, no matter what level of football. Absolutely ridiculous

Omg, I would have been sick over that. I always thought once the ball goes 10 yard's it's either teams ball that recovers, no matter what level of football. Absolutely ridiculous
I suspect the interpretation is that the ball hasn't actually traveled 10 yards until it hits the ground or is caught by the receiving team.

Much like a ball could be thrown just outside the field of play. If it's caught by a receiver whose feet are in-bounds, the ball is not out-of-bounds.

I'm not sure this would be just a high school rule.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Its San Ramon Valley and Luke Baker's time to shine! 🙌🙌
I had forgotten until I read the Merc article that it was Luke's brother, Clark Baker, who was quarterback of the near loss SRV game back in 2016. You can bet there is some sibling rivalry, and familial pride revenge, going into this game.

Reactions: THEOC89 and Cal 14
Most people dont know this rule. I constantly have to school the fans in the stands as they get really upset. In the NFL or College it would be moot because if you call fair catch they cant impede the returner from catching the ball. It would be too easy in HS if the ball only had to go 10 yds on a pooch kick, just blast the returner and catch the ball. If it hits the ground first its much more difficult.

Does he drive a Camaro? And does he live in Danville or just fly in for games? 😂
HA!!…. It’s Crazy because Like Baker, Jones is an awesome Baseball player!…. I heard that one of his requirements for College will be where he can play both FB and BB…. When you see him in person it’s hard to fathom that he is only a Junior….

I heard that Baker was committed to Santa Clara for Baseball but I wonder if that will change…. He is a great athlete!…

Reactions: bella123 and MC415
I have a hunch that SRV, playing at home, will be favored and will snap DLS's streak in the NCS. I've watched film of SRV and those guys are different this year.

DLS will have a tough time playing in hostile territory, especially against SRV's superstar LB Marco Jones. He has over 20 power 5 offers, including an offer from Alabama. Saban doesn't throw out offers like candy, he is known to be VERY selective with who he offers.

I have a hunch that SRV, playing at home, will be favored and will snap DLS's streak in the NCS. I've watched film of SRV and those guys are different this year.

DLS will have a tough time playing in hostile territory, especially against SRV's superstar LB Marco Jones. He has over 20 power 5 offers, including an offer from Alabama. Saban doesn't throw out offers like candy, he is known to be VERY selective with who he offers.

He plays baseball as well apparently and is very good at that. Similar to Alec Blair with baseball and basketball.

Wonder if he’ll pursue both sports at the next level like Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston and countless others….

DeLa hasn't shown that they have any viable passing attack this year. Could cost them in this game. SRV should sell out against the run until DLS proves they can pass. DLS still may be able to control the LOS though

DLS was in the EBAL some years ago before. Wondering why they decided to take DLS back in
They were placed into the EBAL in 2008 (2007 football season) as a better fit overall than the BVAL (with Pitt) for all sports. I believe that lasted 4 years, and DLS applied to be independent in football so they could play more out of area games, but remained in the EBAL for all other sports.

I’m not sure of all the details, but they’ve always retained all their all league spots, automatic NCS qualifier as presumed EBAL champion, but didn’t get the banner? They still don’t play all the other EBAL teams, so it is kind of a hybrid schedule. This year is the first season they haven’t played Cal since 2006, as they met in the Coliseum in the 2007 NCS championship game when DLS was still in the BVAL.

This game might end the NCS streak DLS has, but ultimately whoever wins the Open Division playoff will be NCS top seed going into the region game. Maybe if SRV wins out they have a chance at Open Bowl game, but seems Serra winning out will give them the advantage if Folsom wins out. SRV may have to get through DLS twice (and vice versa) and Pitt strength of schedule is not as strong but maybe case if Granite Bay ends up win its league and section for bowl game. Agree - SRV winning out will probably put them at #1 seed and Pitt has good shot at #2, but come playoff time all that matters is winning. I will be surprised if SRV wins tonight, but even the computer has picked them. SRV hasn't seen a defense like DLS yet and it will be their toughest test. Definitely a big game for the NCS. Been a long time since Spartans have lost to an NCS team and at some point odds are it will happen but CCS, SJS and CS sections have already done it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT