ADVERTISEMENT

Division III: Campolindo vs. Rosary Academy

Rosary Academy leads 7-3 with 256 left Q1. Campolindo started 0-for-12 from the field, including 0-for-8 from Van Dyke

Rosary Academy leads Campolindo 13-11. Each team has three made 3-pointers.

Rosary leads 19-14 with 427 left Q2. Rosary doing a good job getting to the basket

Leading 20-16, Rosary made three straight 3s to take control. They lead 31-18 at halftime.

Rebekah Obinma for Rosary has been a key with 10 boards and five blocks.

Campolindo was 6-for-35, including 2-for-24 on two point shots. Rosary has eight steals

Rosary leads Campolindo 39-23 with 343 left Q3. Rosary doing a nice job of attacking Campolindo zone

Obinma Second year of organized basketball. .... 5 blocks in the first half....she is a player

Campo made a little run to get within 11... but then Rosary poured in on again.

I see lots of zone defense being played. In this big venue, they are getting many wide open shots as long as they show patience and some good passing/ball movement against the zone defense.

Rosary Academy wins its first state title with a 62-45 win over Campolindo. The Royals made nine 3s.

Rosary center simply dominated the inside all night. She's a load. Why Van Dyke didn't operate from the high post away from that big kid is a conundrum.

Cant help but feel this was an excellent opportunity for SH to go back to back state titles.

Campolindo tried every type of zone defense under the sun and gave up three ball after three ball. Then out of desperation tries a 221 press and gives up lay in after lay in. I have a great idea, maybe try man to man?

What a wasted opportunity but the reality is the North sent the third best team in NCS and 4th best in Nor Cal to represent them in a state title with BOD, Salesian and Sacred Heart all being in the open and add in Miramonte and Vanden both are d2 schools that were bumped from d3 due to competitive equity.

CIF has really got this thing screwed up.

Great home crowd for Rosary.

Reactions: basketba11
Obinma is a high D1 prospect...a triple double in a championship game in her second year of organized basketball!!!! I suspect if she works hard this coming summer....guys like Geno will be visiting her little school next year

Obinma is a high D1 prospect...a triple double in a championship game in her second year of organized basketball!!!! I suspect if she works hard this coming summer....guys like Geno will be visiting her little school next year

Whoa, there, big fella. Let's not go nuts here.

Reactions: OnBall8
Campolindo tried every type of zone defense under the sun and gave up three ball after three ball. Then out of desperation tries a 221 press and gives up lay in after lay in. I have a great idea, maybe try man to man?

What a wasted opportunity but the reality is the North sent the third best team in NCS and 4th best in Nor Cal to represent them in a state title with BOD, Salesian and Sacred Heart all being in the open and add in Miramonte and Vanden both are d2 schools that were bumped from d3 due to competitive equity.

The same holds true for SoCal. Excellent teams got placed in the Open, lost and got shut out of the CIF finals in lower brackets.

Last edited:

Yeah but anyone of those teams you mentioned could have beat the other on any given night...a lot of parity at that level. Campo was as good as anybody that could have gone. Maybe they didn't happen to play well today but that is a different story.

I think Campo is a year away... They'll keep this thing close into the middle of the 2nd quarter before Rosary breaks it open and wins by 17

I'm gonna go larrylegend on everybody and say boooohhhh yah! Let's just forget about all the other predictions I got wrong, because I freaking nailed this one! Remember this!

That said, congrats to Campo on a great program and a great season. They'll be back.

Go nuts????
Obinma is so talented and only just started
Playing....this summer will be huge!!!! For her

Campolindo was 6-for-35, including 2-for-24 on two point shots. Rosary has eight steals

I attended today's game. Coach Thoms had the girls coached up. Regardless of what defensive scheme Campo was to deploy, it would not have changed the outcome of the game. The major issue today was offensive production. On the offensive side of the ball it’s up to the girls to put the ball in the basket. The girls had more than their fair share of open looks. The numbers don’t lie. They shot horribly from the field. Free throws were not much better. You can’t always expect to ride the horse (Van Dyke) in every game. The other four players on the court have to make plays and score points or it’s going to be a long day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
I attended today's game. Coach Thoms had the girls coached up. Regardless of what defensive scheme Campo was to deploy, it would not have changed the outcome of the game. The major issue today was offensive production. On the offensive side of the ball it’s up to the girls to put the ball in the basket. The girls had more than their fair share of open looks. The numbers don’t lie. They shot horribly from the field. Free throws were not much better. You can’t always except to ride the horse (Van Dyke) in every game. The other four players on the court have to make plays and score points or it’s going to be a long day.
Apparently the venue played a role in low shooting percentage. Other teams, like McClatchy had a difficult time making shots too in such a big, cavernous venue with sight lines much different. The team that can adjust to the venue the best or fastest will have a better chance of winning.

She was the difference but a High D1 with Gene coming to visit? She is a 6-1 post right now. How many of those are playing at the elite programs?

I attended today's game. Coach Thoms had the girls coached up. Regardless of what defensive scheme Campo was to deploy, it would not have changed the outcome of the game. The major issue today was offensive production. On the offensive side of the ball it’s up to the girls to put the ball in the basket. The girls had more than their fair share of open looks. The numbers don’t lie. They shot horribly from the field. Free throws were not much better. You can’t always except to ride the horse (Van Dyke) in every game. The other four players on the court have to make plays and score points or it’s going to be a long day.
True, and you cannot be a 2 player offensive team. Kind of Surprised Wagner doesn't do more offensively. She seems quite skilled.

True, and you cannot be a 2 player offensive team. Kind of Surprised Wagner doesn't do more offensively. She seems quite skilled.

So true. What is the common denominator with Mitty and CW? They took the approach of never being satisfied even after a victory. They kept working to improve with their eye on the top prize. They developed and relied on much more than 1 or 2 players.Then you have teams on the level under them who pop champagne bottles and celebrate league victories and league championships. Because they set lower standards and lower expectations. Keep the champagne on ice.

Les Brown once said " Most don't fail because they aim too high and miss, most fail because they aim too low and hit."

Just like everything else it's all in the level of your thinking. You can think your capable of achieving more or less. That is up to you. And you can think something is hard or not. I guess it depends on your thoughts, standards, goals, and expectations.

Some teams like CW and Mitty have a bit more talent than others and that too helps. But I do enjoy their coaching.

Campolindo still had an incredible season. Haley's 46 points in the Norcal finals a record and Haley's 25 rebounds in a state championship also ties a record. Congrats to her.

Congratulations to all the teams who made it to state championships. Extra congratulations to the winners.

Last edited:

Scoutus32, Your observation is correct about Aubrey Wagner. She has skills and is a good point guard. She’s not a flashy player, but is very physical and does a good job of running the offense. It’s just unfortunate that players like her are not recognized by a wider basketball audience for her talents as a point guard. From an offense perspective, she does contribute in scoring (18 pts. in one game) but nothing like 10 to 20 points on average per contest. As a junior and with now 3 seasons under her belt, let’s hope she becomes more confident in her ability to put points on the board and has a great senior year.

With that being said, the Campolindo girls had a tremendous season. A record of 27- 7 and a trip to the CIF Div. III state finals. The final game did not play out as the team expected, but the girls are probably now even more focused on getting back to state and taking care of their unfinished business.

Scoutus32, Your observation is correct about Aubrey Wagner. She has skills and is a good point guard. She’s not a flashy player, but is very physical and does a good job of running the offense. It’s just unfortunate that players like her are not recognized by a wider basketball audience for her talents as a point guard. From an offense perspective, she does contribute in scoring (18 pts. in one game) but nothing like 10 to 20 points on average per contest. As a junior and with now 3 seasons under her belt, let’s hope she becomes more confident in her ability to put points on the board and has a great senior year.

With that being said, the Campolindo girls had a tremendous season. A record of 27- 7 and a trip to the CIF Div. III state finals. The final game did not play out as the team expected, but the girls are probably now even more focused on getting back to state and taking care of their unfinished business.
I just checked on Maxpreps and she does average over 9 points a game, to go along with over 5 APG and over 6 RPG.

Campo is open bound in 2018. 1-4 they seem solid. 5-8 are a massive drop off. Need some new blood and they are an open contender in my book.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT