ADVERTISEMENT

Division III: Campolindo vs. Rosary Academy

Technically, Miramonte is not an "open enrollment" school, as even students within the district must apply for a transfer. Both Sabrina Ionescu and Haley Van Dyke live in the Las Lomas attendance district, but both filled out the paperwork and started at Miramonte and Campo as freshmen. Those outside the district must go through a process as well, and can only be accepted if there's room at the school. Ironically, Las Lomas is impacted in terms of enrollment so that school is helped when students opt for other Acalanes School District high schools.

"Those outside the district must got thru a process as well, and can only be accepted if there's room at the school"

***** or they can just claim they want to take Latin classes ;):p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Is Miramonte impacted? I've heard that LL and Acalanes are the 2 of 4 that are impacted. So even though, "Technically" they're not open enrollment school, a player, say from Livermore could attend Miramonte and play for Kelly if she wanted to. They just have to apply to a program that's not offered at their school...German, Japanese, or a specialty class. At least that's how I remember hearing it

And FYI I'm just a fan that doesn't have a dog in this race.

The "Latin" dodge works no longer ... back in the day, Amador offered agriculture, and it was amazing how many good basketball players wanted to get back to the soil.

Of course, if you're Cardinal Newman, you have no attendance boundaries ... (couldn't resist).

Miramonte is not impacted, and has lots of students from out of area who come for the academics. Some of them happen to play football and other sports, as is true at many public schools with good academics and good athletics. When I was working at other schools, we marveled at how many good running backs decided to up their academic status by going to Miramonte.

And we never looked too deeply into where the roster at our school came from ...

Clay--been wondering about this, but was too lazy to let my fingers do the walking, call MM, and ask.

sounds like "impacted" means essentially no room at the inn, no applications from out-of-district accepted. do students who live in the school's attendance boundary (say, MM) get priority over in-district applicants in other schools' boundaries (in the case of AUHSD, this would be Acalanes, Campo, or LL)? or does AUHSD allow students the choice of any of the four district schools, regardless of where they live in the district? maybe it gets more complicated than worth discussing...

as a retired nurse, I strongly advise everyone to avoid impaction.

Last edited:
My understanding of the Acalanes district policy is that if you live in the attendance area, you can go to that school, no matter how crowded it is. If you do the paperwork to go to another school, you can, as long as it's not impacted -- and the same would apply from outside the district, though the process is different.

My guess is that first the district would move in-district students to their school of choice, and then if any room were left over, start slotting out-of-district students. And I believe that if more out-of-district students apply for slots at non-impacted schools than there are slots available, there's a lottery.

The "Latin" dodge works no longer ... back in the day, Amador offered agriculture, and it was amazing how many good basketball players wanted to get back to the soil.
I thought the Latin dodge does still come into play from the other end.
I have hear (and do not know for fact) that the other moving part to outside district transfer is, the school district you reside in must release you to the district you want to transfer to; and releasing you from your current district means a loss of money to that school. So you must show a legit reason for the transfer and this is where the unique class at a particular school can come into play. If you are interested in (say) Latin and and reside in Richmond and Richmond doesn't offer Latin but you can convince Richmond you have a true interest in Latin they can release you to a district that does offer Latin, otherwise, the tendency is not to release you because of $$$. That is not to say that there can be other legit reasons for a transfer like a parent works in another district and transportation is an issue, etc.

Some districts actively discourage transfers -- others don't maybe because the state reimbursement only barely covers the actual cost of educating the student.

It took some searching, but it appears the average reimbursement from the state per student per year in California is about $11,500. According to a California Department of Education chart, the Hayward district, for example, spends $11,834 per student per year. Berkeley is at $14,000 while Castro Valley is at $9,600.

So assuming these numbers are anywhere near close to reflecting reality, some districts would gain by allowing transfers and others would lose.

I do know the Mt. Diablo district quit rubberstamping out-of-district transfers, and since their cost per student was $10,095, that makes sense. Oakland, on the other hand, spends $13,800 per student so should be happy to see them go.

But I also recall from my days as a journalist that the reimbursement is different for high school and elementary school students, and if that's still true, that may have an impact as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT