ADVERTISEMENT

Every HS program owes DLS thanks

Again have to have all three....great coaching, talent, and great off-season program. De La Salle does all three better than anyone else, that is the bottom line.

One thing that DLS does better than any other school is technique and execution - getting as close to 100% of a player's physical and mental ability, at this stage of their development, on every snap for 48 minutes. You see Folsom now doing this with their coaching staff and their spread offense, you see it with Bellarmine and their double wing, you see it with any team Mark Krail has coached (Pioneer/Santa Clara/Los Gatos). When you look at programs that are consistent year-after-year, even if they may not have the best talent, this is what sets them apart.

Hatchball, totally agree with what you are saying....but for quite a long time, they have had the best talent as well.

I love how DLS haters act like they're the ONLY team in NorCal with a talent/recruiting/boundary-less advantage... As if they're the ONLY private/charter school in NorCal... Like the OP said above, back in the early 90's when DLS began "the streak" and built what they have become today, they DIDN'T have the amount of talent they have today... But because of their success over the past few decades, kids want to play for DLS now... Taking a cliché out of 'Field of Dreams' "If you build it, they will come"... the programs success is still largely attributed to the coaching and just as important, (or maybe even more so) the culture of DLS... I'm not a DLS alum either, I actually went to a WCAL school... I used to hate on DLS too... and then I realized that they're just a victim of their own success and the love and hate for them comes with the territory.

Whose being a hater? I just point out the facts. If they were a true academic private school I guarantee that school would look a lot different. If they admitted student applications on pure academics that football program would be mediocre. Again draw a mile wide circle around DLS and that would be it for their enrollment, not the same!

Originally posted by cappyjohnson:

Whose being a hater? I just point out the facts. If they were a true academic private school I guarantee that school would look a lot different. If they admitted student applications on pure academics that football program would be mediocre. Again draw a mile wide circle around DLS and that would be it for their enrollment, not the same!
Why a mile on the boundary? No school in the MDUSD has that small of a draw.

Can you source anything that DLS has claimed to try and pull the best academic students from the enrollment? Just a quick glance at the schools website would show that to not be the case.

As a point of reference, YV showed they could compete at a high level with a great coach.

I believe what he is trying to say is that DLS has a distinct advantage over other high schools due to the fact it can draw from wherever they want. They can use BART has a subsidized school transit system. Private schools cannot do this and are limited to the kids that reside within the general area. HUGE advantage for DLS. But, the same can be said for other private schools.

This is why private schools should compete against each other. There should be separate public and private leagues. Some states already do it this way. In my opinion, this always apples to compete against apples, and oranges to compete against oranges.

G61- They already made the "Folsom rule" this year so your boys would not have to lose in Northern California this year! Now you want to separate them totally? Wasn't the special rule good enough. Do you want extra ribbons and Popsicles too?
laugh.r191677.gif

HAHA up here, it is referred to as the "DLS rule" since it allowed DLS to avoid Folsom at "just the right time." Seems pretty convenient don't you think?

Folsom wins that game 41-20. This was Folsom's year.

As another poster said, DLS has over 250 8th graders chomping at the bit to get on the football team.

With our school, our money, our facilities, and coaches...We would be "dynasty" status every year with that many incoming kids just for football. Strength in numbers
laugh.r191677.gif

By the way...Folsom is a very nice place
wink.r191677.gif

Folsom is a very nice place and they have a nice prison from what I hear. Methinks you are actually an inmate with lots of time on your hands? Do they let you out on weekend work detail to pick up the trash after a rousing game at the blue Stadium? Come clean, is Johnny Cash your favorite singer?

You have obviously never been here
laugh.r191677.gif

I can assure you our prison is much nicer than the federal petitionary that you have right next door in Dublin
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Now that we are on this prison talk... LOL

My kids relished the competition against Sparta/Clet. FB Coaching is very good, has integrity, with tenure and numbers an immeasurable asset. A conditioning program that is well established. Exceptional buy-in by their athletes. Who's to argue that when 70% of the student body uses the weight room? With Sparta in their league, the stakes were raised stratospherically, embraced by public coaches (don't believe everything you see in a movie,) certainly gave motivation to the players (who had buddies transfer there,) and overall, was a positive added experience.
Families who attend there profess and practice a high degree of loyalty. And the freedom to operate an institution of (higher) education with whatever ecclesiastical emphasis you desire, free from governmental interference, I heartily embrace (literally) as an American. Marketing selective admissions processes as A) fully blind and B) being transparent. is disingenuous. If a family takes advantage of that, it's their prerogative. Let freedom ring.

Look, I think we all know how great DLS is. The truth is in the numbers, the championships, the tradition. I think everyone knows and understands this very well.

Unfortunately, there are people like NCSF and mthnjohn who get on here and think they are better than everyone else because they had kids that went to DLS. My point is...Who cares!? It is HIGH SCHOOL!!!! If you chose to send your kids there, that is your right. Enjoy it. But, don't come on here professing your ego because of the high school your kid goes to. You guys are all older dude's in your 40s and 50s. You should have jobs and careers and not be so obsessed with where your kid goes to school. It is kind of creepy.

Bottom line...DLS is great. But, you are not DLS. Get a job. Get a life. Recognize there are other nice areas in CA to raise a child. I am glad that I was able to get on here and put both of you in your place. Homers!

In defense of G61 Johnny Cash was legit. Hurt, Riders in the Sky, Walk the Line. The guy was a hit factory.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The new Johnny Cash bridge they just built by the lake is beautiful
laugh.r191677.gif

40 percent or so full now. Looks better. Should be decent by spring time.
This post was edited on 1/3 2:39 PM by G61

G- it's become obvious that you can dish out sarcasm and subterfuge but you can't take it or recognize it.

G- You know that we only have to play nice on Sunday's and can ask for forgiveness all the others!
wink.r191677.gif

They will compete in the SFL...

It is tough when you lose one of the best QBs in CA history along with most of your supporting cast...

Either way, it will be fun!

G- I see you are winning friends and influencing people on the hoops board now lol.

G61 has lots of friends
laugh.r191677.gif

If only you knew who I actually was...

NCSF,
I agree that DLS has raised the game. As as admitted Folsom homer, I also agree that playing DLS made Folsom a better team. DLS wins well, and make teams better because of it. And I would have loved to see Folsom play DLS this year. I think it would have been a good game.

But... I think DLS enjoys advantages that publics don't have. Because of that, I'm in favor of the Open Exclusion that sent DLS directly to the playoff game. Not just for Folsom's sake, but for all the D1 Norcal teams.

What are the advantages?
1. Implicit Admin support. The coaches never seem to change at DLS -- this doesn't happen at publics. DLS is able to have a staff of 4+ coaches who have been there year after year. Also, whenever there is controversy (e.g. Mackenzie) the admin supports the coaching staff. Having a consistent and supported coaching staff equates to Strong Leadership. DLS has that.
Grant in Sac has had the same head coach (Alberghini) but his assistants have been in/out.

2. Marketing == Talent. I believe that DLS doesn't have to recruit, as the brand name is established. What others schools did MacKenzie consider when moving to NorCal? This equates to getting talent from that didn't all grow in the 5miles surrounding the DLS campus. Folsom is getting a little of this (e.g. Jonah Williams) but nobody north of the Grapevine has the attraction of DLS for football

3. Money. This is not limited to DLS, its a private school thing. And there are publics (e.g. San Ramon, Folsom) that have plenty of money, but money helps run a program, and DLS has more of it than almost all publics.

No bitterness here, just my opinion. I'm really glad DLS is in Norcal! It would be a bitter pill to have to listen to all the SoCal posters if DLS were down there!

33- my whole point of the OP is that the DLS success has made top programs in Northern California even better because the bar has been set higher.

33- I'm not sure if they upgraded their weight room but it was not much to write home about. Also, the field is definitely not anything special. I think the biggest keys to a great program are a great coaching staff that has been established for a good time frame and quality support from the administration and community. That's why schools like Folsom, Grant, Pittsburg, Clayton Valley, Campolindo, Cal Hi, Los Gatos, and other publics are successful over an extended period of time. Throw in Vavaville and small schools like Oakdale. They max out their ability.

It's sad to see schools like James Logan and Berkeley that were big-time programs but are a shell of themselves. They have the demographics and population to be a state title contender but obviously don't have the coaching continuity and administrative support.

Originally posted by robbt33:
NCSF,
I agree that DLS has raised the game. As as admitted Folsom homer, I also agree that playing DLS made Folsom a better team. DLS wins well, and make teams better because of it. And I would have loved to see Folsom play DLS this year. I think it would have been a good game.

But... I think DLS enjoys advantages that publics don't have. Because of that, I'm in favor of the Open Exclusion that sent DLS directly to the playoff game. Not just for Folsom's sake, but for all the D1 Norcal teams.
Not all of the D1 NorCal teams. The NCS D1 teams don't have that luxury, as they have to beat DLS in order to even be considered in the D1 game even when DLS goes to the Open. It doesn't matter how good that team may be. We'll see what this new proposed system brings, but even with the rumored 13 games I suspect the NCS D1 schools will not be eligible unless they can topple Sparty. So, the "Folsom Rule" really only benefits SJS and CCS teams as the NS has no D1 teams.

Good post robt33:

What are the advantages?
1. Implicit Admin support. The coaches never seem to change at DLS -- this doesn't happen at publics. DLS is able to have a staff of 4+ coaches who have been there year after year. Also, whenever there is controversy (e.g. Mackenzie) the admin supports the coaching staff. Having a consistent and supported coaching staff equates to Strong Leadership. DLS has that.
This is not exclusive to private schools or DLS. Publics are more than capable of establishing this "advantage"

2. Marketing == Talent. I believe that DLS doesn't have to recruit, as the brand name is established. What others schools did MacKenzie consider when moving to NorCal? This equates to getting talent from that didn't all grow in the 5miles surrounding the DLS campus. Folsom is getting a little of this (e.g. Jonah Williams) but nobody north of the Grapevine has the attraction of DLS for football
As you stated, not exclusive to privates or DLS. If you build it they will come. Folsom will continue to get an influx of talent the more they win.

3. Money. This is not limited to DLS, its a private school thing. And there are publics (e.g. San Ramon, Folsom) that have plenty of money, but money helps run a program, and DLS has more of it than almost all publics.

No bitterness here, just my opinion. I'm really glad DLS is in Norcal! It would be a bitter pill to have to listen to all the SoCal posters if DLS were down there!
One of the biggest mis- conceptions of most Catholic High Schools including DLS. If they were rolling in the dough- we would expect much better facilities. I have family who have coached and taught at Catholic HS's for 50 years- this money stereo type is way off base.

None of these advantages are exclusive to DLS. More importantly, public schools can match each of these advantages and many of them do.
This post was edited on 1/5 3:40 PM by paul_johnson884

Originally posted by paul_johnson884:
Good post robt33:

What are the advantages?
This is not exclusive to private schools or DLS. Publics are more than capable of establishing this "advantage"

As you stated, not exclusive to privates or DLS. If you build it they will come. Folsom will continue to get an influx of talent the more they win.

One of the biggest mis- conceptions of most Catholic High Schools including DLS. If they were rolling in the dough- we would expect much better facilities. I have family who have coached and taught at Catholic HS's for 50 years- this money stereo type is way off base.

None of these advantages are exclusive to DLS. More importantly, public schools can match each of these advantages and many of them do.
This post was edited on 1/5 3:40 PM by paul_johnson884
Perhaps the biggest advantage DLS has is the ability and willingness to enforce rules. You just dont see players "customizing" their unifs, just to stand out. You dont see the long flowing hair out of the helmets. Rarely do you see a tattoo. Players dont back-sass the coaches (or officials). Dont have parental interference @ DLS. The program is rather like the old UCLA BB clubs under John Wooden. No player is bigger than the team. DLS plays as a team of one and not 4-5 studs + 6-7 'regular' players.
DLS is a unique sitch that only comes along once in a sports lifetime. UCLA BB under Wooden is the only other team sport who's record can compare with that of DLS. Thirty plus yrs at the peak, it is more than just getting bodies or playing pupcakes. The players have to buy in. In the DLS system, super studs may be more of a detriment actually, as they usually come with equal or greater sized egos. (MacKenzie). Players dont get gaudy stats, as the team is multi-dimensional and spreads the wealth, so to speak. Starters generally only play barely into the 3Q of most games. But, the puppies generally get lots of quality PT and are more than ready when their turn finally comes in the following year. Most players only get two yrs on the V. And many of those who do start only do so as seniors. Its tuff to get a youth to work so hard, when the prospects of starting are not that great.

Face it, its just "the system'.

No money? LOL. Big plans on Winton to the tune of $50 million. That builds a new high school in most areas of the US.
http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/50th_Anniversary_Capital_Campaign_Booklet_DLSHS.pdf
Ironically the major benefactor financing a chunk, besides owning the Seahawks last decade, went to Fremont-Oak.
This post was edited on 1/5 5:48 PM by 1315

Well said PD. Near impossible to easily explain DLS continued success. Your paragraph is must read to start and try to understand.

1315- Who said DLS didn't have money. Nobody of course. My response was to the statement that DLS football has a money advantage. The upcoming expansion you posted does nothing to prove that statement. Maybe you could explain yourself. Let me know how the 7.5 MM is going to advantage the football program. While you attempt to do that, make sure you compare DLS facilitates vs those along 680 and 24. Weak. Again.

Originally posted by 1315:
No money? LOL. Big plans on Winton to the tune of $50 million. That builds a new high school in most areas of the US.
http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/50th_Anniversary_Capital_Campaign_Booklet_DLSHS.pdf
Ironically the major benefactor financing a chunk, besides owning the Seahawks last decade, went to Fremont-Oak.

This post was edited on 1/5 5:48 PM by 1315
I've been to at least a couple of appeals for this capital campaign and can say that, to the best of my understanding, not a penny of this money is going to any athletic program

Despite attending Fremont, Mr. Hoffman has a deep commitment to Catholic education and also generously supports St. Mary's University, among other related endeavors. His contribution, which kick-started the whole campaign was the single largest donation to a private HS in history. The monies from this campaign are targeted for Arts and Sciences and the priority fundraising outside of this campaign is targeted at scholarships, which are very rarely 100%.

I guarantee that Monte Vista and SRV both have better facilities and athletic budgets than DLS (and I pay as much to those schools thru property taxes as I did/ do to DLS/ Carondelet for tuition, even though my kids never attended either).

Think of it this way:

Public schools start off with a guaranteed budget based off property taxes.Privates start from ground zero with (incremental) tuition and (voluntary) donationsPublics have the same tax-advantages for contributions as privates

Impressive $7.5M Athletic Performance Center in the plans. That should be quite a nice upgrade.

Pop- Unless things have changed last 3-4 years, SRV facilities were atrocious. Cal, Dublin, and Foothill all much nicer stadiums.

PJ- Talk to you player. Free weights do fine with core workouts. You don't need fluff to make you stronger. Pop- if you've been to the meetings, maybe did deeper before you claim the capital campaign raises nothing for athletics. Great science center plan and looks beautiful. O22 is spot on- 7.5M new gym, athletic performance center verbatim. DiMarco publishes this stuff, not us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT