ADVERTISEMENT

Every HS program owes DLS thanks

And very generous benefactor one must say. He's to be commended Mr. Hofmann. As far as those Danville property taxes which are so lamentable, let's do the math. 10 years at 6k per as a conservative start, The same paid for tuition! Now in those ten years, with all those bond monies going to rehab MV, SRV and even a brand new HS in Dougherty, those pitiful publics who were all remodeled did not have one iota of influence in inflating your equity?
Publics reputations up and down the 680 corridor are THE reason families move there, and in turn, the rising tide of home values float all boats. So unless dpop is a nanny living as a domicile in servitude to some well-to-do tech wiz in Blackhawk, it's fair to say he's comfortably enjoying his 120k investment.... a couple times over. Portfolio wise, the thread title is bass ackward....you're welcome very much.

1315-

Little bit of semantics going on. Pops is right when he says the money isn't going to any of the sports programs themselves. It is all a facility upgrade, none of the operating budgets for the sports are increasing.

I'll be sad to see that brick sweat box of a weight room go, lots of history in there.

I get that GD, but it's really tiresome of the "we're so poor" and "we get by with less and still whip y'all" approach of some of the brethren dads. Even the prolific poster doesn't have a clear idea of the money raising as an "insider." When your CEO publishes 24 coaches in the football program alone are on payroll, that raises a few eyebrows. That's not including all of the volunteer assistants who get paid nada but still ride the wagon and help out. Compare that to the $10k each that SRVUSD gives to MV-SRV-Cal-DoVal for their whole program. Zero for uniforms, equipment, camps, (those Nike "Grays" were ugly but free, yes?) One year that was 2k for each of the HC's with 4k to split amongst the remaining. 12 or so assistants willing to get paid diddly squat for a huge time investment.One of my frosh baseball players was wearing a baseball vest that started on Varsity six years prior. Six! As far as jerseys, one school hasn't had names on them for years. They go to next years team. It's embarrassing for the players to have to jersey up and knock on doors to sell cookie dough. But they did as they were on a mission. I just cannot believe how those inner city schools in tough neighborhoods can hang. They are families who earn tons of respect.

Originally posted by GloryDays98:

I'll be sad to see that brick sweat box of a weight room go, lots of history in there.
Lad loved having the "Spartan" conditions in that room. Nothing to do but get your mind right about lifting.

I worked out in the old locker room. We didn't even have a brick box. Bench presses 10 feet from the showers. We were all proud that we got the brick box when it was built.

Originally posted by 1315:
PJ- Talk to you player. Free weights do fine with core workouts. You don't need fluff to make you stronger. Pop- if you've been to the meetings, maybe did deeper before you claim the capital campaign raises nothing for athletics. Great science center plan and looks beautiful. O22 is spot on- 7.5M new gym, athletic performance center verbatim. DiMarco publishes this stuff, not us.
woa- you mean DLS football players are going to have a new weight room?
Oh goodness, the unfairness of it all.

I propose we separate nice weight room schools from not so nice weight room schools immediately. For playoffs only of course.

And very generous benefactor one must say. He's to be commended Mr. Hofmann. As far as those Danville property taxes which are so lamentable, let's do the math. 10 years at 6k per as a conservative start, The same paid for tuition! Now in those ten years, with all those bond monies going to rehab MV, SRV and even a brand new HS in Dougherty, those pitiful publics who were all remodeled did not have one iota of influence in inflating your equity?
Publics reputations up and down the 680 corridor are THE reason families move there, and in turn, the rising tide of home values float all boats. So unless dpop is a nanny living as a domicile in servitude to some well-to-do tech wiz in Blackhawk, it's fair to say he's comfortably enjoying his 120k investment.... a couple times over. Portfolio wise, the thread title is bass ackward....you're welcome very much.
another naive post.
Hoffman owes the public high schools along 680 ... classic stuff.

Any rational reader would know I commended the millionaire donor (and his Catholic roots.) And anyone who's purchased a dwelling along the South 680 in the last 10-20 years is very appreciative of the fact the highly academic and competitive public schools in SRVUSD have inflated home prices. It's helped put many a college student through their public and private institutions of higher learning. But trying to distract or deflect readers from the facts is lame; have at it. White noise.

You have yet to post one, clear "fact". Let alone a "fact" about this thread.
You have become the riddler of nor cal preps.

http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/50th_Anniversary_Capital_Campaign_Booklet_DLSHS.pdf p. 15
http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/DLSHS_FACTBOOK_20142015_complete_final_11.12.2014.pdf p. 60

Twenty four football coaches on the payroll. Talk about doing more with less. I have a little more respect for my kids' coaching staffs now.
I have read all of your posts and they are all over the place. If you are getting anywhere near a point, make it.

http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/50th_Anniversary_Capital_Campaign_Booklet_DLSHS.pdf p. 15
http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/DLSHS_FACTBOOK_20142015_complete_final_11.12.2014.pdf p. 60

Twenty four football coaches on the payroll. Talk about doing more with less. I have a little more respect for my kids' coaching staffs now.
there you have it- if Cal hires 8 more football coaches they can dethrone the Green Machine.
Great work 1315.

It's very simple WCAL.
Posters state they have no money, then the forum provides the Capital Campaign literature and budgets.
They state their weight room is shabby, and the forum provides anecdotal evidence, backed by a DLS alum, it was adequate for his football team. (I will agree their academic facilities need an upgrade if they're to attract better students, hence the STREAM center...I commended them on that. Maybe you missed it.
They claim there's no money in the current 50M capital campaign for athletics and the forum rebuts with a link to the DLS Presidents pdf showing 7.5M earmarked specifically to the new Athletic Performance Center.
They complain about paying taxes to support their local public and then having to pay tuition to the private. The forum provides evidence that said publics in specific posters home boundary has probably doubled his equity in ten years.

Still confused?

All we needed is the ball warmer PJ, or did you leave it at Aquinas?

-nobody stated DLS did not have money, instead, it was stated the football program does not have a money advantage.
No facts have come forward to alter that reality

-The weight room IS shabby. Have you seen it? It is tiny, hot, sparse and barely adequate to service the hundreds of athletes that use it.
Still no facts as to how a weight room gives the Spartan football team an advantage.

-anyone who believes that the quality of the public schools along the 680 doubled home equity in ten years is naive. Did the quality of the schools help- of course they did. To single out that one factor to explain real estate value is nuts.

It's very simple WCAL.
Posters state they have no money, then the forum provides the Capital Campaign literature and budgets.
They state their weight room is shabby, and the forum provides anecdotal evidence, backed by a DLS alum, it was adequate for his football team. (I will agree their academic facilities need an upgrade if they're to attract better students, hence the STREAM center...I commended them on that. Maybe you missed it.
They claim there's no money in the current 50M capital campaign for athletics and the forum rebuts with a link to the DLS Presidents pdf showing 7.5M earmarked specifically to the new Athletic Performance Center.
They complain about paying taxes to support their local public and then having to pay tuition to the private. The forum provides evidence that said publics in specific posters home boundary has probably doubled his equity in ten years.

Still confused?
Yep. How does anything above translate into DLS having a better football program. You can throw a ton of money and build all the new facilities you want but that in no way will make DLS a better football program. The DLS football team does not need a new weight room nor any other new facility to continue their "level of play" as a team. To think other wise is silly. Kids(who want to play football) and their parents are not going to be making a decision to go DLS because they have a new weight room.

You say:
" (I will agree their academic facilities need an upgrade if they're to attract better students, hence the STREAM center...I commended them on hat. Maybe you missed it. "

The above sentence is pure nonsense. Parents who want a better education for their kids will pick a school that has the best teachers and is well known for their academic excellence rather than which school has new desks and classrooms.

This post was edited on 1/7 5:16 PM by WCAL75

Originally posted by WCAL75:

Yep. How does anything above translate into DLS having a better football program. You can throw a ton of money and build all the new facilities you want but that in no way will make DLS a better football program. The DLS football team does not need a new weight room nor any other new facility to continue their "level of play" as a team. To think other wise is silly. Kids(who want to play football) and their parents are not going to be making a decision to go DLS because they have a new weight room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone was saying that getting a $50M gift translates into DLS having a better football program. It is well established that they already have the best football program in the state, if not the nation. No one is disputing that. And getting the benefit of $50M sure doesn't hurt, as even if no money is allocated directly to the football program, it makes for a better school and might allow for future budget money to be spent in areas where the $50M didn't go.

DLS supporters just don't like to hear anything that might suggest they they have any advantages at all over the public schools, or other privates. It is well established that DLS has long had many great coaches and they work their kids as hard or harder than anyone. Just don't expect everyone to close their eyes and pretend that all the kids (or "more than 90%") that arrive on campus as freshmen are wide eyed 98 pound weakling 12 year olds that have never seen a football before. That may have been the case back in the 70s or early 80s, but there are many more seasoned kids coming in these days that are huge and have been playing football for years. Wynn, Asiasi & Tagoloa are just 3 recent man childs who were complete studs in football before ever stepping onto Winton Drive. Those 3 could have started on varsity as freshmen at many high schools. They would have been D1 prospects had they gone to Ygnacio Valley, DLS or Livermore HS. There are many other kids who were also great athletes that don't even crack the starting lineup at DLS who might make all league if at another school. I realize there are also a lot of young skinny kids that had never played football before that work their @$$&$ off and make great contributions at DLS and become great men in the brotherhood.

Enjoy the success of the Spartans, as it is well earned and the kids work hard for it. If you don't want the $50M because it might be seen as possibly in some way helping the football program in the future, I'm sure that many other schools with lesser football programs or in poorer areas would gladly accept it.

Originally posted by observer22:
Originally posted by WCAL75:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone was saying that getting a $50M gift translates into DLS having a better football program. It is well established that they already have the best football program in the state, if not the nation. No one is disputing that. And getting the benefit of $50M sure doesn't hurt, as even if no money is allocated directly to the football program, it makes for a better school and might allow for future budget money to be spent in areas where the $50M didn't go.

DLS supporters just don't like to hear anything that might suggest they they have any advantages at all over the public schools, or other privates. It is well established that DLS has long had many great coaches and they work their kids as hard or harder than anyone. Just don't expect everyone to close their eyes and pretend that all the kids (or "more than 90%") that arrive on campus as freshmen are wide eyed 98 pound weakling 12 year olds that have never seen a football before. That may have been the case back in the 70s or early 80s, but there are many more seasoned kids coming in these days that are huge and have been playing football for years. Wynn, Asiasi & Tagoloa are just 3 recent man childs who were complete studs in football before ever stepping onto Winton Drive. Those 3 could have started on varsity as freshmen at many high schools. They would have been D1 prospects had they gone to Ygnacio Valley, DLS or Livermore HS. There are many other kids who were also great athletes that don't even crack the starting lineup at DLS who might make all league if at another school. I realize there are also a lot of young skinny kids that had never played football before that work their @$$&$ off and make great contributions at DLS and become great men in the brotherhood.

Enjoy the success of the Spartans, as it is well earned and the kids work hard for it. If you don't want the $50M because it might be seen as possibly in some way helping the football program in the future, I'm sure that many other schools with lesser football programs or in poorer areas would gladly accept it.
1315 makes two posts below that when considered together, adds a context that implies "more money and new facilities" attracts better students. He uses the example of having new academic facilities would attract better academically inclined students. So its not too much of a leap to extend that thinking to athletic facilities. I disagree with this way of thinking for the reasons pointed out above.

(I will agree their academic facilities need an upgrade if they're to attract better students, hence the STREAM center..

Next point:

Originally posted by observer22:
It sounds like you may have overlooked my screen name. As far as the other points in your post, I will let the DLS guys comment on them if they so choose.

This post was edited on 1/7 8:08 PM by WCAL75

Most DLS supporters argue with the "unfair" or unique advantage statements that are not substantiated. There are examples in this thread: money, administration support, coaches. DLS fans recognize that many of these "advantages" are available to all schools, including public schools, and that is what they object to and call posters out on it. DLS fans understand it is not easy to apply these advantages- but the key is, any school can do it.

The other objection many DLS fans raise is the one sided ness of the advantage proclamations. I have not seen a post from the anti DLS crowd that lists unique public school advantages such as no tuition or feeder programs.

Last, much of this debate is shaped by how posters view what dictates HS football success. Talent vs coaching is often the debate. Some believe if you have talent you win. Some believe if you have great coaching you win. DLS fans typically believe coaching is the leading indicator of HS football success as they have witnessed the transformation one person can make on a program. Interestingly, the Cal fans don't look enough at their own HS football history as to what one person can do for a program.

This is how I see HS football success in order of importance:
1. Leadership
2. Coaching
3. Strength/ conditioning
4. Talent
5. History/culture

#1-3 account for 75% of success

With that philosophy, if a program doesn't do 1-3 well, and every school has the opportunity to make 1-3 "advantages", talent doesn't mean much. That is what DLS fans argue. The Spartans do 1-3 better than anybody. The Spartans were nothing until they did 1-3 well and that is one of the reasons why they correct the history revisionists who claim the Spartan success is all based on unfair advantages.

**#4 is needed to be elite. DLS would not be nationally elite without #4.

I aplogize in advance for the length of this treatise, but I can't take the whole private vs. public lack of advantage debate that this has turned into any longer.

I am a product of a private, Catholic high school, and have been a teacher and coach in the public high school sector for over 20 years.

Anybody who says the privates (and I include charters as privates, because they are - discussion for another thread, I suppose) don't enjoy a significant advantage over the publics is simply delusional.

I read above (paraphrased), "Publics have a budget and they know what their budget is going into a school year, whereas the privates don't." That is simplistic at best, and ill-informed at worst. Does the poster understand that publics MUST have a three year balanced budget projection that is okayed by the their county offices of education? Does the poster understand that not a single dollar of the approved budget has to go toward athletics? And during the recession, not only were budgets slashed, but positions were cut: teaching, coaching, and administration? It is only in the last two-three years that many of the publics, especially in urban areas, have been able to somewhat rebound with regards to improved budgets. Yes, I understand that at a private, part of the budget does not "need" to go to athletics, but most privates have a MUCH greater idea of where their budget stands (especially during the recent recession).

Privates enjoy a distinct advantage in that they are allowed to recruit. Period, end of story. Middle schools hold "high school information nights" where any private or charter school, no matter where they are located, can present. Yet the only public high schools that can present are those within district boundaries, and sometimes, are even more restrictied, with only the "home boundary" high school allowed to present. Private supporters can say they don't "recruit athletes", but that is semantic disingenuousness at its finest. Privates recruit. Period.

DLS has 24 paid football coaches? Wow. The schools in my district have 10, and can add an 11th if there are 45 players on the varsity team. That is quite a discrepancy.

To say that the privates have to pay for their education, while the publics don't, while on the surface is true, we all know that the privates all offer aid to students. My alma mater gave out over $3 million dollars in tuition grants last year. Student population of roughly 1000. That is about $3000 per student or 20% of the tuition. That means 20% of the student population is subsidized. I am not saying it all goes to athletes, or that any of it is specifically earmarked for athletes, but we all know that many athletes benefit from tuition grants. That is a fact.

Privates generally are able to raise more funds. The DLS situation is just one example. At my alma mater, the annual appeal raises a million dollars a year. One year, an alum, an NFL player, wrote a check for $250K at the annual gala night. The capital campaign at my alma mater, much like at DLS, raised an incredible amount of money for the physical plant - athletic facilities being a part of it. Anybody who has been involved in athletics at the high school level or higher knows that facilities plays an integral part in recruiting athletes.

I don't begrudge one bit what the privates are able to do (charters on the other hand...). In fact, I applaud it. They generally provide highly competetive schools, academically and athletically. They generally do a great deal of community service. They generally send a greater proportion of students to four year colleges and universities than the publics - especially moreso than the urban/inner city publics. As such, the alumni base is generally more well off, and usuallly more willing to contribute to the alma mater. All one needs to do is look at the financial statements that most of the privates send out to their alums every year. Then there is that whole Catholic guilt thing (I joke...). Additionally, with many public schools, there isn't the tradition, or history of many of the privates, as they simply haven't been around as long (look at the growth of the SacJoaquin Section for example), and because of that don't have the alumni base.

So, please don't try to say that the privates don't have magnified advantages over the publics because they do. Plain and simple.

Good lord....

Any chance you know what kind of windfall those coaches are pulling in?

SacCoach and Observer supported the basis of my opinions, with greater clarity. Thank you for doing so. Anything offered or disclosed after those will probably stray from any meaningful discourse with the faithful. Baseball fundraisers are right around the corner.
happy0030.r191677.gif

Can you be anymore disengenuous? 24 paid football coaches? Maybe I'm missing something. Where does it say DLS has 24 paid Varsity coaches?

I see 10 listed for Varsity on page 60.

I see 9 on this link for Folsom Varsity as an example. http://www.folsombulldogfootball.com/index.php/team/coaches/

This may be the exception, but most public schools have a head coach/asst coach that are basically staff PE teachers.

DLS has a head coach who is an excellent English and Social Studies Instructor. That's his day job.
Ladoucer and Eidson are also teachers of other subject areas. Also their day jobs.

The rest of the coaching staff for Varsity is not DLS staff. I suspect they are volunteer and many have other jobs. I doubt very highly Larry Allen Jr, was taking a DLS stipend to be one of the assistants and coach his kid. That's a great DLS story btw. That's a family, unlike the McKenzies who understood what DLS offers. LA III had offers from plenty of schools, but chose Harvard, because it aint just about the football.

SacCoach A hit on the head. Clearly DLS, has built the model for all private schools that want to excel in athletics, and to a less extent for the Public schools (within the restrictions that they have to adhere to).

DLS would certainly be challenged much greater in NorCal if they followed the Southern Model for transfers. Then public schools would be able to stack their squads with enough talent to give DLS a real game. Having an East Bay All Star team to dominate public schools that have to play within a specific boundary zone is not much of an accomplishment.

Obviously when the talent is leveled out, the games are much more competitive....not to say DLS is not a great program, it absolutely is. But it is like a travel ball team taking on a little league squad for ten games, and the scores reflect that.

In regards to the McKenzie post, hmmmmm, is it derogatory for a person or a family not to worship the almighty SPARTAN? The kid wanted to prove himself against the best of the best, and he did....and he was the best. Mind you, I know many of his teammates and coaches, and they all attest that he is a high character teammate, so go away with your jibberish. He could have easily have picked Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State...the usual Top 5 for college. Instead he chose Tennessee, because that is where his family went, nothing better than family pride. You should take zero joy in that young man losing his Senior year, that is a stain on the Green and Silver uniform.

There is not one "advantage" saccoach listed that cant be matched by public schools.

Back to the drawing board excuse makers.

Originally posted by BayReporter:

DLS would certainly be challenged much greater in NorCal if they followed the Southern Model for transfers. Then public schools would be able to stack their squads with enough talent to give DLS a real game.
uhhh, DSL just beat one of those transfer schools by 3 TD's

Back to the drawing board excuse makers....

Clearly, having no boundaries is a huge advantage Paul Johnson - that is a fact. That is why DLS fields an All Star Team. In a lot of other areas around the country, private schools are confined to playing private schools for this reason. Sort of the like having a Catholic League.

Rumor has it Nevada is looking at banning Gorman from their state playoffs, for just this reason.

Again, DLS is a tremendous program, that has big advantages. BOD, does the same thing in basketball, the lack of boundaries is huge.

Just own it dog, DLS has advantages. On top of that - they have great coaching, great support, the best program in Nor Cal every year, and the best talent in Nor Cal every year.

Bay propagandist- you are just a SH#* disturber. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh by the way, running that kid in the final game 50 times is close to child abuse and cost them because the wanted to win so badly. Finally, DLS had nothing to do with the kid being ineligible. He left and didn't quality by the rules much like the QB at McClymonds was finally ruled ineligible. Let's face it- DLS is going to win with or without individuals.

You DLS excuse makers need to stop. Your arguments are specious and disingenuous.

DLS is the premiere HS football program in the nation. Period. Again, I am a product of that environment and will defend the privates to my public colleagues til the end of my days.

But, to claim that "not one advantage... can't be matched by the public schools" might be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard. It simply isn't the case. The publics do not have the fundraising platforms that the privates do. Period. Property taxes are a different animal, which is why the Folsoms, Granite Bays, and Del Oros flourish and why many of the inner cities struggle - the school districts don't have the property tax money. Publics get about $8K per student from the state of California.. Privates tuition is, let's just say, $15K . If you have an equal student population of 1000, then the privates are already ahead $7 million a year. Even if 20% comes out of the budget for educational grants, there is still a difference of $5.4 M a year. And we all know that the educational grants come out of an endowment and not an the annual budget. So, please stop with claims of "equality".

When are you DLS excuse makers going to admit to the recruiting advantage? Again, I applaud you for having that advantage. That recruiting advantage is why I ended up where I did in high school - private vs. public. I was "recruited" even though I wasn't a 5 star (or three for that matter) athlete. However, my high school experience did allow me to play baseball in college, whereas I doubt it would have happened had I gone to the local public school.

It isn't a level playing field and never will be. Once the privates and their apologists accept that, then there might be the chance of realistic civil and educated exchange on this board. Sadly to say, the most vocal apologists that I see on this board (regarding the privates) are from DLS. They should be celebrating their successes and advantages and embrace them instead of making excuses for them.

SacCoachA

Lets be real here, this is a dumb debate. Everyone knows the advantages, and even the comparison to SoCal does not hold up. The fact is all the schools can recruit, let their kids sit four games and they are ready to roll. Nobody is recruiting against De La Salle, which means they get the top talent in the East Bay year in year out.

Shit disturber? In my opinion the absolute lowest form of a troll, is someone that puts down a high school athlete by name. You want to brag about De La Salle, when everyone already knows they are best program, go ahead. But you want to tear down a great kid, or any kid for that matter - that just makes you a loser.

Sorry Bay Reporter if you misread my post and took away from it that I intentially singled out the player. My post was clearly aimed at coaches, not kids. And paid coaches at that. I personally believe the player wanted to stay at DLS, but parents ego got the better of them. And it pains me still to know he missed playing his senior year regardless of where it may be played. Great Kid! And I look forward to seeing him playing in Tennessee. This subject has been covered exhaustively on every HS football board out there. No stain on silver and green whatsoever. Couldn't have been handled better from their end. So please don't refocus the intent of my post.

24 paid coaches on DLS staff was my focus? No way. The same way passionate players find their way to DLS through its perrenial winning brand name (which is not RECRUITING, get over it). Passionate Coaches as well find their way to DLS, and Larry Allen is a great recent example. The legendary white shirts are all volunteer also, always there. Many have never had a kid in the program or are decades removed from when their children attended. Amazing to me to watch that level of dedication year in and year out.

Spartunz,
You are the ultimate DLS homer. Get over yourself!

DLS has a HUGE and DISTINCT advantage over ALL the other programs in Norther California. You can say it is not recruiting...but who really cares. It is an advantage that most other schools do not have. You wouldn't understand an outside point of view because you are such a homer!

My guess is...you are a Republican too
laugh.r191677.gif

NCSF,
Glad to see you buddy! I have been out a few days...was traveling for work (something you know nothing about)
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Hope all is well
laugh.r191677.gif

You're killing me. Does that mean I'm imagining going to Phoenix-Scottsdale next Thursday and staying a couple extra days? Should I also cancel the trips to Las Vegas, Orange County, Atlanta, Fort Myers, and about eight other venues in will be going to? What was I thinking?
eek.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/9 2:33 PM by NCSF

Come do 3 cities in 3 days... NYC, Atlanta, and Chicago...

Then 14 other work "trips" across country in the next 5 months...

Then...get back to me
laugh.r191677.gif

Get over yourself? Republican? Why are you such a confrontational jerk in every thread. Just address the subject points please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT