ADVERTISEMENT

Final Eastside 54 SI 51

jazzpt55

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
Do you believe in miracles!!!!!

ESCP knocks Mitty and SI out of the Open????

Does ESCP belong!!!

Coach Blythe is a GENIUS!!!!

Maybe SI and Mitty didnt want to go into the open. Nothing to play for in the open if they cant beat SMS. Better to lose now.

Naahhhh they said I was crazy when I mentioned coaches would do
that...so couldn't be I was right...
eek.r191677.gif

Hate to say it, but my gut tells me you're probably right. Were you at the game?

Nope I live in Stockton now....
I talked to Donovan last year about working
with his kids on SAQ performance ...gee... maybe I shouldn't
have left the bayarea

Ahhh to late now

There is no way SI purposely loses games against SHC (oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi) against Eastside's 6 players. They got beat. As their coach described them, the "best team in SI history" just lost to a team with a bigger will to win and a master coach!

I cannot believe SI or Mitty would do this. I understand a building year for Mitty,..but SI? This was the team they banked their program on 4 years ago. Considering all the scholarship players they had, what happened? I thought their coaching was O.K. A DII or DIII run would still be something, but they talked the big talk early. Again good against slow teams. Did ESP play only 6 kids? Where was game played?

I agree and disagree. They would not tank game v. SHC. SHC has been their Achilles heel for past 4 years. Mulkerran just wouldn't do that.

Also, it is not the Oldest Rivalry West of Mississippi. That was cleared up about 5 years ago. There is one in Colorado and one in Kansas one year older. It is though the Oldest Catholic school rivalry in Nation. And if you want to keep moniker "west of" West of Rockies.

Every sport has teams that tank on purpose, some noticeable than others, to get good seeding. It makes perfect sense to lose to stay out of the open if your team is not as strong as other teams in the open. I'm going with my gut here. This will not be the only "upset" this season.

Originally posted by jazzpt55:
Do you believe in miracles!!!!!

ESCP knocks Mitty and SI out of the Open????

Does ESCP belong!!!

Coach Blythe is a GENIUS!!!!
Dave, I'm confused. You said that Mitty threw this game, as SI just did tonight. So what you're really saying is that Blythe isn't a GENIUS, Mitty and SI just gave them the game. Doesn't take a GENIUS to win a game when the other teams are tanking.

Let us know when ESCP actually wins a game when the other team isn't gaming the system. t's funny, with your distain for Sue Phillips, you actually end up discrediting the great job Donovan Blythe has done this season.

OK thanks for the history lesson on rivalries. Point well taken.

Does SI stay in the Open Division for the NorCal tournament?

I can't believe so many people buy into the "tanking" conspiracy. Would any of you really be okay with the concept of tanking? Would you allow your daughter to play for a coach who "cheats"? I don't think so.

C-let flys a State Championship banner for D2 and we are all proud of that achievement. Currently, we are the number 1 ranked D2 team in the state, but no one has any desire to sacrifice their integrity and play for another D2 State Championship.. Hopefully, we make it to the Open.

I truly doubt any other Bay Area team would consider throwing a game to compete for a division state championship. That is not the sign of a champion.

It's no conspiracy, teams do this. The team may not know what the coach is doing. This is why I want someone that was at the game to let us know how the plays and substitutions were played the last few minutes.

Ol'...Layer so coaches will do anything to win because of drought of Winning a State Championship since the open started. But I taught the CCS suppose to be so great this year. So would anyone want to play for teams that tank games and scared to play other to teams. NO NO NO NO and just think one is the USA coach.

The SHC loss on Tuesday was a major blow to the SI coaches and players for many reasons. One of them was the realization that the biggest factor in the loss was the mental one. A lot rested on how SI would come back and take the court tonight. Although I wasn't at tonight's game, it sounds like they didn't show up ready to play.

If making the Open Division rests solely on talent, record, and history, SI should be in. But it's hard to make the argument if the focus is on the here and now.

Goes back to one of my major beefs about the Open Division. It's a beauty contest and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A great thing about basketball is that a game's result is not subjective. Right or wrong, one team has more points on the scoreboard when time expires. Teams should have the right to opt into the Open Division by no later than January 1. No questions about locking or tanking or anything else. If you want to play for the top dog spot, let the world know and take your best shot.

I have one other thing to say does the CCS section hate the history of the Norcal Open too? CCS teams never made out the first round of the Open. So why do people want to rank these teams so high all year????????????????

SI, Mitty and Pinewood should go into open just because they tanked.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:06 PM by Garcia2

Garcia2 I think the should be investigated like the team in Tenn. This should be done by the head of the CIF but need to be done right now before Sunday. When CIF see that they tank they should be kick out the playoff and have a 2 year sanction no playoffs. CIF needs to send a message to all the teams think about tanking games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then we will see how recruiting goes then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This post was edited on 3/5 10:16 PM by ballersdreams

Originally posted by ballersdreams:

Ol'...Layer so coaches will do anything to win because of drought of Winning a State Championship since the open started. But I taught the CCS suppose to be so great this year. So would anyone want to play for teams that tank games and scared to play other to teams. NO NO NO NO and just think one is the USA coach.
Guys this is not a situation where teams that blew out other teams are now losing to them. SI, SH, Mitty, Pinewood, EHCP all proved during the regular season they are very competitive with each other. I think this whole thing you've postulated is much about nothing. As Freud supposedly once said... "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Bodyguard no sugar coding this because its what it is. These teams are giving the CCS section a bad reputation if these is allowed to happen.

SI blew out BOD, blew out Pinewood, blew out SHC, lost to SMS by 8 or 9, and beat Chaminade, but loses to a team with 6 players? I will watch the film, it will confirm what I already know.

Bodyguard no sugar coding this because its what it is. These teams are giving the CCS section a bad reputation if these is allowed to happen.
Allowing what to happen> Teams that have proven to be competitive with each other in the regular season doing the same thing in the playoffs? The CCS open has been some great basketball by very proud, competitive and hard working teams.

What do you have to go off of... show me any of these teams blowing the other off the court in the regular season... tell me what games you've watched to come to these conclusions?

Teams closely match in regular season + continue playing close games in postseason = tanking? Coming from folks who from what I've gathered did not watch these games. What logic do you see in that?

Originally posted by Garcia2:
SI blew out BOD, blew out Pinewood, blew out SHC, lost to SMS by 8 or 9, and beat Chaminade, but loses to a team with 6 players? I will watch the film, it will confirm what I already know.
Eastside beat O'Dowd with four players on the floor for most of the 4th quarter. They beat Cardinal Newman (who almost beat Salesian). They split two competitive games with Mitty.

Last year they lost to St. Mary's with the two McDonald's AAs by 3 points, lost to O'Dowd with both guards by 3 points. Lost to Mitty in the CCS Open in OT. In past years they've won some lost some to SHC and Pinewood. They always have rosters of 5-6 players during those times. So the conclusion that these teams are tanking just because of the opponent's roster size simply doesn't measure up to the results on the floor not just for this season, but season's past.

Simply stated, they've been competitive with this caliber of teams for years with small rosters. It's all right there to see..

This post was edited on 3/5 10:48 PM by bodyguard

I wouldn't use the term genius so loosely. They are a well coached team with an unorthodox style of play that a lot of teams aren't used to. They also managed to catch SI off guard mentally after that beat down they took from SHC

Don't diminish what Eastside has accomplished this year by bringing in the tanking talk please...what they have done is nothing short of amazing!!!

They may be the most mentally tough team I have ever seen....6 players??? wow.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT put them in the open....could you imagine Eastside vs SMS and the next thing you know Eastside is down to 4 players......game gets out of hand and potential stopping/calling of the game and all that BS....
that would be a BS way for their season to end and a complete travesty.

let them have their run at a D5 state championship!!!!!!

Donovan Blythe is one of the best coaches in the business. Step into his gym in the summertime and check out the kids that come from all over - high schools and college- to train with him. They know the value he brings to their game and they flock to him for mentoring and shaping. He accomplishes a great deal with the limitations he has, both in terms of the numbers of players he normally has and the guidance Eastside uses to admit students.

In contrast, the SI team is a collection of talented players without leadership and this time of year is about the time when the program dysfunction supersedes the talent and the wheels start to fall off the bus. The team is notorious for starting out strong and then faltering in the stretch as teams like Eastside, Mitty and SHCP pick up steam and start to win games they may have struggled with early in the season. It's an unfortunate reversal of fortunes for SI and it's consistent with what the team has battled in years past.

Lastly, if Donovan isn't a genius, then he is a magician because what he has going on is pretty special. Eastside suited up 6 girls tonight but 5 played for most if not all of the game. I take my hat off to them for playing their hearts out (and yes, I was actually there to see the game in person.) I saw the Eastside girls turn on a full court press in the 4th quarter when they should have been exhausted. They matched SI step by step all the way and deserve to be recognized for their accomplishment tonight.
Congrats!!

While I must tip my hat to Eastside, it really is too bad that they may not be able to get a state championship. Lets say that them, pinewood, and brookside get bumped into the open division. Then who's gonna represent D5 in the state championships? Again, HUGE accomplishment but don't think anyone is beating SMS this year. But then again, that's why they play the game.

This post was edited on 3/6 12:58 AM by Mo Green

Oh Really?

I think SHC has a chance against SMS. There the only team with the height and speed to match up against them. Not to mention they played already earlier this season and last season so what SMS brings to the table won't be as surprising as it would to teams that haven't played them.

CityBoy415,

I agree with you on SHC having a good shot at knocking off St.Mary's. Not because I don't believe St. Marys is perhaps the best team in Northern California. It's because, I believe any good team can upset another good team. Especially when they are not intimidated and half beaten before tip off. I mentioned SHC as a team to lookout for early on even though they loss several games early in the season. Records mean nothing until after the final tournament. Because it's not how you start that matters it's how you finish.

If many of the teams that make it to the open division go into any game playing up to the way they play when they are playing well, any good team could pull off an upset or two. Every team in the open 1-8 will most likely be a pretty good team.

When dealing with the so call best…. I always say don't just hand them anything….. Make them prove they are the best every time.

Paytc

Originally posted by Garcia2:
SI, Mitty and Pinewood should go into open just because they tanked.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:06 PM by Garcia2
Yeah - Pinewood "tanked" all the to the CCS championship game. Dope! How do you tank and win? I know Doc is good, but thats a new one on me.

To create less speculation and controversy, teams with the best record and strongest schedule should go to open. This alleviates all speculation and any thoughts of tanking. History shows when there is a medal, money or in this case a ring involved, manipulation will happen. Like it or not, tanking happens.

This is a perfect investigation for either Fox News or Dan Noyes of ABC. It's all Obama's fault.

Yes Pinewood tank so they can win the D5 State last year. I heard form a very good source ESCP duck Brookside the year in the showcase in San Jose. If that was the case wonder why was because Brookside beat the last year by 14 without McDonald. But that's a whole other discussion.
This post was edited on 3/6 9:29 AM by ballersdreams

Not sure SI tanked a game in CCS open.....I think that team is talented enough to beat anyone on any given night. Losing Manzano to broken foot (Hawaii Pacific commit) early in the season has hurt them on the perimeter and team leadership.
They have some great wins this season and no bad losses. They belong in Norcal Open regardless of how they did in CCS Open. The win over Chaminade being the most impressive win amongst others. They have 8 seniors and plenty of big game experience. Sometimes the old saying hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard rings true. Also there is a lot to say about leadership on and off the court. If you watch SI there is not always a sense of urgency and too much talent can get in the way especially when players attitudes and parents opinions also come into play.
Now as for Mitty?? I wasn't at the game they lost to ESCP, but I heard they played all 17 players they have on their current CCS roster including the 5 kids they moved up from JV's. I'm not sure who does that in a playoff game unless it is a blowout or those JV kids are better than the varsity kids you have been carrying all year. It was a 3 point game though?

CCS Open is an interesting dynamic. Both Palo Alto and Valley Christian got blown out in their two losses in the open as the 7th and 8th seeds. Both those teams would have been #1 seeds in D1 and D3 and most likely won CCS championships in those divisions. I think the CCS open was maybe designed to allow public schools a chance to win a section title?
D1- Menlo Atherton v. N. Salinas -------no private schools in D1
D2- St. Francis v. Presentation
D3- Branham v. Hillsdale --------ND San Jose only private in CCS D3
D4- Menlo v. ND Belmont
D5- ND Salinas v. SF CCC

So, 2 out of the 5 divisions will have public school winners and only D1 has no private schools entered in D1.

Not sure what the answer is in CCS, a section dominated by private schools.

PS........ESCP is amazing and Blythe does a magical job with 5-6 kids. Sometimes less is more! That is a fact.
This post was edited on 3/6 10:07 AM by downbylaw

This post was edited on 3/6 10:10 AM by downbylaw

Tanking might happen, just like NBA refs have taken bribes. But not every upset's a tank. The coaches you mention have too much integrity for me to believe they would purposefully lose to avoid playing the best.
If I ever have a daughter I hope Donovan or Doc are around to coach her up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT