ADVERTISEMENT

First Round Upset Predictions?

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
I'll start.

Vanden over Clovis in D1. Clovis has had a couple of injuries and hasn't been the same team that beat CW earlier in the season. Vanden has won 17 in a row (against weaker competition).

Could SHC get back its big and surprise SRV?

Mcclatchy took Folsom down to the last 2 to 3 possessions on the road. Not the 15 seed tech was probably expecting although they have beaten them already I expect that game to be closer this time.

Reactions: cptmycpa
I would say Pinewood Acalanes is a pick'em game. Think Acalanes will survive but it's always hard to bet against Doc

Mcclatchy took Folsom down to the last 2 to 3 possessions on the road. Not the 15 seed tech was probably expecting although they have beaten them already I expect that agame to be closer this time.
AGREE! For Oakland Tech & McClatchy, it was both teams' first game of the season in late November 2022. McClatchy is playing much better as a team since then. McClatchy's Nina Cain cannot afford to foul out with 4+ minutes left, like she did against Folsom last week.

Although qualifying as a "mild" upset, in D2 I'll take #9 seed Christian Brothers (29-3, MaxPreps #47) over #8 seed Pinole Valley (20-10, MaxPreps #79).

Reactions: CaliHoops23
Problem is Antelope is missing Evelini Smith, their 6’3” freshman star. Still have Mary Carter though and they certainly were respectable against SMS last week.

Problem is Antelope is missing Evelini Smith, their 6’3” freshman star. Still have Mary Carter though and they certainly were respectable against SMS last week.
This match may come down to in-game adjustments by both coaches. Antelope is more aggressive so that makes them dangerous, but they still have to score in bunches.

D1: #10 Pinewood over #7 Acalanes
D2: #11 San Joaquin Memorial over #6 Whitney and #10 Crystal Springs over #7 San Marin
D3: #9 Caruthers over #8 Evergreen Valley and #13 Lincoln over #4 Chico
D4: #15 Summit Shasta over #2 Arcata

Looking at the brackets, sure seems like O'Dowd came out well as the #8 seed.

D2: #11 San Joaquin Memorial over #6 Whitney and #10 Crystal Springs over #7 San Marin

I like that Shasta prediction as well. And, for their sake, if it happens I hope Menlo pulls out the victory in their game. Otherwise Shasta is heading right back north again on Thursday morning!

Just wanted to make a comment about the randomness of the seedings.

As I was checking out CNs 1st rd opponent Palo Alto on Maxpreps to see what they have done this year i noticed they took 2nd place in their league with a 10-2 record losing twice to league UNDEFEATED (12-0) champion Los Gatos. And LG was 21-6 overall.

How in the heck is LG the 16 seed in D2 while PA is the 13 in D1???? Whaaaaat???

Anyone explain that? Just strange seedings to me...

Reactions: blex20

As I was checking out CNs 1st rd opponent Palo Alto on Maxpreps to see what they have done this year i noticed they took 2nd place in their league with a 10-2 record losing twice to league UNDEFEATED (12-0) champion Los Gatos. And LG was 21-6 overall.

How in the heck is LG the 16 seed in D2 while PA is the 13 in D1???? Whaaaaat???

A lot of emphasis on post-season. Paly went 2-1 in its CCS Open pool, beating Sacred Heart Cathedral and SI, and hanging with Pinewood. Los Gatos went 0-3 in the other CCS Open pool. It lost two winnable games without its leading scorer/rebounder and then predictably got smoked by Mitty when she returned. Fwiw, I thought Palo Alto should have beaten Los Gatos both times. But it lives and dies with its three-point shooting, and in those games, it died.

Tonight will speak volumes on seedings. If they did a good job, there shouldn't be too many blowouts outside of top two seeds in each division.

Last edited:

Your example is why people in this forum believe teams "tank" in the post season. SH going just 1-2 in CCS Open play was good enough to not host a game but, apparently, not bad enough to be dropped down. I prefer they be in D1, where they belong, but thought the overall body of work justified something higher than 14. But I guess losing to two sharp shooting teams who both had their best post season shooting games vs SH led the committee to put them ahead of SH and none get a home game. I write this as I'm reading l readying to drive to SRV

Reactions: TheHillZ
Danville Los Panchos Number 11… aka Spicy Green Chili Verde… flour tortillas and
One of those Cokes from Mexico… yum yum

LG did not have their star player in the CCS Open playoffs because she is playing in a volleyball tournament.

Something that has crystalized for me this year is how are teams judged on NorCals. Is it one big resume with the playoff games naturally being some of a team's bigger games. OR is there more weight given to the playoffs (in the case of SHC and Palo Alto, this surely seems like the logic).

I tend to think you should look at all of the games as one resume and not give unnessary weight to the playoff results.

Reactions: cptmycpa and blex20

It's your board. We're just living in it. Huge call on the #15 Shasta win. Also nailed Pinewood, Caruthers and SJM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT