ADVERTISEMENT

Fists Thrown in Dugout Incident

BKWRDKUROUT

Sports Fanatic
Apr 28, 2007
Parents, Fans and Players watching from the stands at H.M.B. yesterday/Tuesday must have thought they were observing a prank - but an actual player and a coach of S.S.F.’s Varsity baseball team - were fighting in the dugout.

Another player was trying to break it up but punches were thrown and landed by both the player and the coach. They were separated at one point and the coach went back at the player. The coach had him in a headlock and eventually the two were separated.

Everyone at one point were yelling at the umpire to stop it but he did not. Eventually the umpire kicked the coach out. Some say this was the most ridiculous thing they had ever seen during a HS baseball game and the Head Coach was seen on his cell phone but nothing more in the way of leadership from head coach JV.

The actual game ended via forfeit when the S.S.F. Varsity roster of only 9 players was reduced to 8 because a S.S.F. player was ejected from the game.

Classy!

Im more puzzled by you feeling better about posting this. I have nothing to do with South City baseball (which we all know hasnt been relavant since 1970's). I merely pointed out that I played for the current coach in late 70s during summer ball and had a good experience. Maybe we were a different breed of ballplayer, sanse entitlement. As for incident, does sound unfortunate.

Im more puzzled by you feeling better about posting this. I have nothing to do with South City baseball (which we all know hasnt been relavant since 1970's). I merely pointed out that I played for the current coach in late 70s during summer ball and had a good experience. Maybe we were a different breed of ballplayer, sanse entitlement. As for incident, does sound unfortunate.

Dear City: I guess you personalized it too much. I changed the title so that the title fit the story. I find no pleasure, I just happened to have my jaw also fall open when I saw what happened.

No problem. Have a nice weekend. League seasons coming to a close and lots of quality ball to go.

South San Francisco High has a new baseball coach. (by Prep2Prep)

Mike Barragan is the new varsity baseball coach,” said Warriors athletic director Matt Schaukowitch by email. “He is a teacher on campus.”

Barragan replaces Jesse Velez, an off-campus coach. The Warriors went 7-19 overall this season and 5-9 in league.

South City lost by forfeit to Half Moon Bay on May 5 after some odd incidents. There was a disturbance in the Warriors’ dugout, resulting in an assistant coach being ejected. Later a South City player was ejected, leaving the Warriors with just eight players (teams can still play with eight by rule). However, the umpires decided they had seen enough and awarded HMB a forfeit victory.

Two days later the same teams played again at Orange Park and HMB won without incident.

South City went a combined 22-33 in Velez’s two years as coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT