ADVERTISEMENT

FOLSOM UPSET!

patrick916

Superstar
Sep 16, 2014
Hats of to Folsom this year for winning their first SFL championship and remaining undefeated so far.....
What will it take for one of the remaining NorCal playoff teams to pull off the upset of the year?
We have all seen the Folsom highlight reel this year but no one has even slowed them down.
With all the football knowledge out there let's here what it is going to take.

A good DC for starters.

A team with superior lock down corners would be a must along with a game plan that can disguise schemes without getting out flanked. Constant pressure on Browning the whole game. Being very successful on blitzes when Folsom's formation tips the defense to where the ball usually goes. Also, be very effective at forcing Browning to throw away from his strengths. Bottom line is you must know Folsom's formations just as well as them if not better to stop them. And you better have good football players to accomplish that goal. And I think it is crucial that you own the "Red Zone" with your defense. Make them kick FG's and go for it on fourth down. Just my 2 cent$.

Originally posted by patrick916:
Hats of to Folsom this year for winning their first SFL championship and remaining undefeated so far.....
What will it take for one of the remaining NorCal playoff teams to pull off the upset of the year?
We have all seen the Folsom highlight reel this year but no one has even slowed them down.
With all the football knowledge out there let's here what it is going to take.
Just watch the last two years tapes against DLS. They have given the recipe to beat Folsom.

First it starts with having a dominate front 4. You need to get pressure with the front 4 without blitzing every down. That will leave 7 in coverage with the middle backers spying the running back for draws/run plays. The corners need to bump the outside receivers every play to throw off the timing routes. Sounds simple right? But the front 4 is where it starts!!

You don't need lockdown corners. You just need to get consistent pressure on Browning. It's as simple as that. What's not so simple, though, is actually being able to accomplish it. Even if you do manage it, you still have to have an offense capable of scoring on a much improved Bulldogs defense. They are not just an offensive team this season. Getting pressure on Browning and slowing their offense might just mean they score 28 instead of 40, 50, or 60.

It's going to take a physical team capable of controlling the clock on offense and getting pressure out of their front 7 on defense. We know DLS can do that, but can anybody else? Best bet is Grant, but they've got to take care of D2 first.

This post was edited on 11/27 10:39 PM by ThunderRam

Just tell Folsom they aren't half as good as De LaSalle.....that will definitely upset them!!
laugh.r191677.gif

ThunderRam posted on 11/27/2014...
You don't need lockdown corners. Really??? I respectfully disagree. You have to knock the receivers off of their routes to mess the timing up. You don't have to do this every down but its a luxury to have. I'm sure you know lock down corners will allow you to spy Browning without being out flanked? Btw, you don't necessarily need pressure from your front 7 on defense if you get it from your front 4 as pantera-cat has mentioned. You do know that your game plan will be more effective against Folsom's spread if you get constant pressure with your front 4.

"It's going to take a physical team capable of controlling the clock on offense and getting pressure out of their front 7 on defense." Btw, did Rocklin play cover -2 & cover -3 zone the whole game against Foslom or did they sit in quarters?

I do agree with you that a physical offensive team could give Folsom fits. Basically, you want to be able to get 3 yards a pop and be very lethal in your short to mid-range passing game. Make sure you have your players believing they can get 6 yards a pop before the game. Tell them anything less than 6 yards a pop during the week of practice is not acceptable. If you have the pieces, and you know your deal, you should be able to give Folsom fits offensively with this philosophy.

This post was edited on 11/28 6:25 AM by PGownsWHITNEY

My answer….. It aint happening. Not this year. Its time to start playing that game of "what teams from the past would have beaten or given this folsom team a game." My bet is I will leave in the 3rd qtr tnite when Folsom is up by 6 or 7 TD's if not more.

Fact is in order to beat Folsom you will have to score 40 plus and stop them form scoring 40 plus. You can bump corners, blitz,
pray, or go crazy it aint going to happen this year.Of coarse DLS is in league of its own. Outside of that bring on the pacers, or Vacaville or GB it doesnt matter. Play ball.

jazzon4 posted on 11/28/2014...
Fact is in order to beat Folsom you will have to score 40 plus and stop them form scoring 40 plus. You can bump corners, blitz,
pray, or go crazy it aint going to happen this year.Of coarse DLS is in league of its own. Outside of that bring on the pacers, or Vacaville or GB it doesnt matter. Play ball.
All that Jazz, you could be right. This just might be a year whereas Folsom may have better talent or better yet they may just have better athletes than everyone from top to bottom. The last 3 or 4 years it's been better coaching.

Let me put it like this Jazz, I know a coach that knows how to three yards and a cloud of dust Folsom to death if he had the pieces and there would be nothing Folsom could do to stop it. You can believe that bro. Over half of these coaches are simply unprepared and scared of Folsom's attack before the game even starts. For what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teams need to Turn up! DLS did and that's why they own Folsom. Folsom also turnt up when they sold out for the spread formations. Leaving the rest of the NOR-CAL teams in the dust... Go figure.

PG- Not sure why you say they "sold out" for spread formations. The reality is that football is going that way and they are ahead of the curve (That's why the WCAL has become stagnant- they insist on Woody Hayes as an offensive genius). They also don't get huge guys and would be stupid to stay with a power offense when they can't rely on getting the horses you need to be successful. Seems to me like they have a recipe for success.

By the way, I have been an admirer of DLS football for over 20 years but I think they would be very vulnerable this year to Folsom. Their QB is out and are much more predictable than ever before. Defensively, I think they are vulnerable to a great passing game as evidenced by Rosen and Bosco last year. They miss Short and Mackenzie. I was not impressed last two years with the Folsom QB and his play against DLS. He did not handle the pressure well at all and thought Rosen was vastly superior. That said, he seems to have evolved and another year makes a big difference.

You're not an admirer of De la Salle football. You have been a closet hater for 20 year. Come out the closet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the SFL turned to the spread. Lol. It may be hard to keep up otherwise.

Keeping it real, Monterey Trails just needs more bodies. If they ever get their numbers up, watch out. They are certainly capable of getting 3 yards per carry. They just seem to wear down.

@ NCSF,

"Sold out" meaning they (coaches) went all in to become the best spread team possible. At least here in Nor-Cal if not all of California. The only school that I can think of that runs it just as well as Folsom in the State of California is Centennial of Corona. They definitely have more athletes than Folsom as well.

Sic- don't mistake disliking the guys who are on here that support them to my not liking and admiring greatness. I've been going to games since the late '80's when some of my baseball players went there like Ricky Bianchina, Patrick Walsh, Robert Portis, and Parker Hanks. Probably seen them play over 100 times in person. Was good friends with Steve Alexakos who was the DLS coach that started the greatness of their offensive line according to none other than Coach Lad. Known and known and respected Justin Alumbaugh since he was 12. I like everything they stand for.

What I don't like are some of the people on here who are unaware of their history and come across as experts. I would hope you can discern the difference of my admiration as opposed to not agreeing with some of the DLS fans on here.

This post was edited on 11/28 5:59 PM by NCSF

NCSF posted on 11/28/2014...
PG- Instead of "sold out", I would say "bought in".

I hear ya... Sometimes I use Ebonics a bit too much.. Hopefully you don't hold that against me in the near future.. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!!! Mine was wonderful!!!

Thank you and glad yours was good. I've coached another sport for years and when Ebonics first became an actual deal in the Oakland school system, I asked the fellas about it who played for me. They said "ah coach, it's just slang and people are just trying to make it official".

It always cracked me up that people were trying to make it an official deal. The great thing for me is that I have about 1/3 inner city kids, 1/3 suburb kids,and 1/3 country kids. When it comes to sports and team, they are all brothers. The lessons we all have learned as players and coaches have made all of us better on and off the field. That's the beauty of sports.

NCSF posted on 11/28/2014...
The great thing for me is that I have about 1/3 inner city kids, 1/3 suburb kids,and 1/3 country kids. When it comes to sports and team, they are all brothers. The lessons we all have learned as players and coaches have made all of us better on and off the field. That's the beauty of sports.

I concur!

Grant vs.Folsom is finally here and it is the game everybody in Sacramento wants to see. If Grant can get their offense moving, control the ball, and get at least three yards and a cloud of dust on every play anything can happen. Grant has the playmakers to hang with Folsom but their defense will have to play to their full capability to win.

Trust me Grant dont need to look at DLS game for anything. Grant just need to play Pacer football. Ground and pound and pressure on the QB force him to make misstakes. Grant defense especially outside linebackers need to shut everything to the flats. Pressure on Browning will be the key. Grant need to kill the clock and capitalize on turnovers. I feel Grants relentless ground attack will win the game.

Pressure and ball control will be the recipe.
Sounds like Mother Nature is pulling for the pacers, in blows the biggest storm of the decade. Passing in the rain is bad enough but this storm is bringing big wind as well.

Disguise coverage give browning false pre-snap reads, mix up the under flat coverage drop an end when blitzing the edge and press the juice out of the Wide outs. Study film and learn his quick blitz check downs and defend those (break to a spot) and he will be in trouble.
All that being said offense must control ball and clock and DO NOT turn the ball over.

I got news for everyone. Folsom runs the ball as well as they can pass it. They can run the ball all night and beat you just as well.

Originally posted by herwoo12:
I don't think anyone is overlooking that, I presume they all know Folsom's strength and is focusing on it in these discussions. One thing is for certain, Grant's coaches are all over the game film.
I'll save you guys the trouble, here is our latest film (never mind the new uni's the crazy kids are wearing in the student section this year)

This post was edited on 12/9 11:31 AM by awood1

Folsom vs Stagg highlights

Im surprised by everyone trying to give a game plan on how to beat Folsom. Dont you guys want norcal to beat the south teams? Giving advice to every team may end up hurting Folsom down theroad. Aren't we wanting to beat the south? We should be figuring out how to beat the south teams not hpw to beat our beat teams up north!

LOL thats funny I'm pretty sure no coaching staffs are trolling the posts to build a game plan to win state. I would imagine they have a little more insight and football knowledge then a bunch of jack ass fans on a football board like us. lol

Originally posted by Polemic:
LOL thats funny I'm pretty sure no coaching staffs are trolling the posts to build a game plan to win state. I would imagine they have a little more insight and football knowledge then a bunch of jack ass fans on a football board like us. lol
Ouch, man that hurts...you know we got feelings too.
sad0025.r191677.gif

...but it always is kind of funny to read though. "Put pressure on the QB all day and bump them WRs hard off the line"...it's like "DAMN!! GENIUS!! Why in the world has no one ever thought this before!?!? I bet IF we do those things we will have unlocked the keys to the game!!"
party0003.r191677.gif

Hi championcif75

I hope your morning is getting off to a good start. Folsom program and community take great pride in their public amateur Football status. De La Salle on the other-hand was appropriately set aside for the time being. What's the point of losing any sleep over a "professional team" with amateur status? De La Salle is that good. They harvest with a wide net prime athletes... no restrictions. While the rest of us hope that in our community, Mary and John make babies and produce and nurture the next Jake Browning. Public schools have it good too and we all do the best we can! De La Salle has it the greatest and have made the best of it.

FG,

You really think al the players on the Dogs are born and bred in Folsom???

Don't be foolish, Sorry awood but I know the ENTIRE story to the player in which we discussed and I have an entire different take on that story of which I would be glad to share with you friday night......

OK, here we go. Folsom conspiracy theories from the folks who are bitter about their success.

Folsom has one player (Jonah Williams) who transferred in over the last four years. All the rest have been there since freshmen, and at least 8 of the starting seniors have been playing together since they were in the 7th grade. There is no recruiting machine going on at Folsom.

This is just an unusual class that has been fortunate to have things line up so that they have a chance to be great. Just like the Grant 2008 team, or the Folsom 2010 team, or the 99 Elk Grove team (not sure if I got that year right).

Last year they were a just good team. Next year Folsom will go back to being a good team. It will be somebody else's chance to be a great team. Your insinuations that there is a "dark secret" at Folsom are just wrong, and minimizes all the hard work this team has put in to make the most of their potential.

Jimmy- in the South, when people would describe somebody by you, people would say "bless his heart". I don't want to make fun of simple people. That said, there is a saying that goes like this- "It is better to let people think you are the Village idiot than remove all doubt".

WWHS44

FG,

"You really think al the players on the Dogs are born and bred in Folsom???"

No...I was born in Iowa and now I live here. I understand the implications of your question, but you are missing the only point that matters...as you can probably tell by my answer.

Originally posted by NuttySac:
Trust me Grant dont need to look at DLS game for anything. Grant just need to play Pacer football. Ground and pound and pressure on the QB force him to make misstakes. Grant defense especially outside linebackers need to shut everything to the flats. Pressure on Browning will be the key. Grant need to kill the clock and capitalize on turnovers. I feel Grants relentless ground attack will win the game.
Mr. Sac, I'm not disputing your pre-game analysis but I must say that what you are saying goes against what MOST of the Pacer fans were screaming after losing to Folsom in the past. I happen to remember reading numerous posts from the "Heights" that were crazy mad at Al and staff for being so "3 yards and a cloud of dust". Fans were ready to tar and feather Al and replace him with wide open spread guy - just sayin.

Based on your statements FG, You are not it the know. thats ok with me but I know different.

It's not really a big deal but to dimiss it is.

Not a hater so don't go there. I am in awe of what the coach's have done....at both schools...

Originally posted by WWHS44:

FG,

You really think al the players on the Dogs are born and bred in Folsom???

Don't be foolish, Sorry awood but I know the ENTIRE story to the player in which we discussed and I have an entire different take on that story of which I would be glad to share with you friday night......
I've said it before and I'll say it again. IF you feel you have any information of improprieties in regards to Folsom players, coaches or staff, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write them down and hand them over to the CIFSJS offices. Otherwise you are simply a hater and attention whore who continues to play HS drama games like "I got a secret".
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

Damn, I wish that "ignore" button worked.

Awood,

The player you and I discussed. Your story is not accurate, I just wanted you to know that. it is not the way you stated things went. now you can continue to believe what you want but I know different.

That my friend is not hating. It is honesty. If you wish to believe there was no contact between the faimily and the staff, go ahead...but your wrong......

I have no hate for Folsom, I admire what the coach's have built and enjoy watching them. I do hope they win state and rep us well......far from hating...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT