ADVERTISEMENT

Gridley Day 2!

Kennedy hits a corner 3 for Riordan…. 52-46, and they get a stop on the other end. 52-46.

Mike Wilson hits a Sac 3…. 52-49.

3:01 left, Wilhite fouled, FT’s both go. 54-49. Mike Wilson hits a corner 3 for Sac…. 54-52. 2:11 left, we have a barnburner here!

Wilhite hits a short J for Riordan…. Sac shot on the other end, no go. Still 56-52, Mike Wilson fouled, has 2 shots. First one good, time out called by Sac. 56-53.

Mike Wilson has his 2nd shot, down 3…. Make it and hope for a steal? Miss and try for the rebound and a 3? Let’s see…. He misses it, apparently not on purpose, Riordan rebound. Passanisi fouled, sinks both to ice it. 58-53, another foul puts Rioran on the line again…. Pusateri nails those…. Final score: 60-53 Riordan.

Great team win for this young Crusader squad. Riordan’s defense King Wilhite and depth with contributions from entire team was the difference.

Lucero Angel, GIBT Queen…. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd NOW…. Cougarball! Campo vs. De La Salle, on the floor gettin’ warm…

Hopefully, Maharney plays just as good as Mahaney…. :)

Here we go!

O’Reilly hits a baseliner…. 2-0.

Bennett with a steal…

Bennett for 3…. Nope.

Semeny hits a 3-ball for DLS.

Stepback 3 for Mahaney just msses…

Blair with a series of moves to get a short J up, good. 5-2 DLS.

Bennett baseline J, nope…

Webster hits a 3 for DLS. 8-2 Sparty.

Mahaney drives, fouled on the floor.

Blair with a putback, and fouled…. Time out Cougs! 10-2, 3:12 left in the 1st.

Blair at the line for the and-1…. clank. Gets his own rebound, shoots, miss, rebound foul. Cougs ball. Stolen away…. but two airballs later the Cougs have it. Aidan with a shot, no go, ob to DLS.

Yasukochi just in for the Cougs, drives baseline and scores. Elijah Keys scores for DLS. Coug 3 misses, DLS board…. Bennerr steals! and Blair hacks him. 12-4, 31 seconds left…

Mahaney uses a screen, takes a 3…. GOOD! 12-7 after long DLS try at the buzzer fails.

Cougs steal! Aidan hits a shot…. 12-9.

DLS prayer against the shot clock miss…. Yasukochi scores…. 12-11. Cougs clawed their way right back in this thing! Time out Sparty…. 6:07 left in the half.

Semeny with.a corner 3…. Sparty leads 15-11.

Yasukochi scores again…. 15-13. He’s had quite the impact since he subbed in.

Steal…. 3-on 1 break, gets to Aidan, he is fouled on the shot. FT’s split. 15-14.

Webster sinks a 3-bomb from Live Oak…. 18-14.

DLS rebounds a miss…. Cougs do the same, pass too Bennet, drives and scores…. 18-16. 2:40 left in the half. Tecnical foul, I guess on the Campo coach, Semeny sinks both. 20-16.

Blair grabs a DLS miss and puts it back in…. 22-16.

Aidan takes a 3 with Webster in his face…. BAM! 22-19.

Flanagan sinks a short hook. 24-19. Aidan takes a 3 as the clock runs down…. Miss, Semeny throws one full-court at the buzzer…. BAM!!!!! 27-19 at the half, DLS in front.

For ALL the hype the kid Mahaney gets, I'm not completely sure I get it.
The kid is a solid player, but not a thing blows me away. Just callin it like i see it...

Flanagan banks in a Sparty 3. 30-24.

Aidan from the corner… 3!! 30-27.

Webster nice move and short J.

Radell scores for the Cougs…. 32-29. DLS scores inside…. Aidan right back atcha…. 34-31. 4:10 left 3rd.

Yasukochi nice pass down to Radell, who’s fouled on a shot…. Sinks one of twp. 34-32.

Blair with an acrobatic inside J… Aidan returns the favor…. 36-32.

1:08 left in the 3rd…. Refs at the table, talking over a possible score mixup. Looks like they changed it to 36-34 DLS. Radell ties Semeny up, DLS has the arrow. 24.7 left, Bennett fouls Semeny. He rattles the first FT home…. Second swishes. 38-34.

Aidan takes a with a couple secs left, no go…. but Yasukochi grabs the offensive board, is fouled. 1 of 2 from the line. Cougs steal the inbounds, but can’t get a shot up before the buzzer. 38-35 DLS after 3.

Aidan for 3…. BAM!! Ties it at 38.

Cougs get a stop, chance to get the lead…. Time out, 5:41 left in this tense battle.

DLS makes the stand…. Their ball under the 5-minute mark. Cougs force a bad shot, Aidan drives to the hoop…. blocked shot, but fouled! 4:29 left, first FT good. 2nd FT good. 40-38 Cougs.

DLS ball, 4:15 left…. Great drive by Semeny to tie it up. Cougs soph Tyler Bergren takes a 3, no go, but Radell is fouled on the rebound. FT missed. Still tied at 40…

3:06 left, Sparty ball.

Cougs for a bad Blair shot, Coug ball with 2:30 left…

Yasukochi nails a 3!!!! 43-40 Cougs! Time out, 2:19 left, Cougs lead 43-40.

Webster rebounds a miss, is fouled. Hm, they give him 2 shots…. Both miss!!

FABULOUS backdoor pass to Naffziger for a layup! 45-40. DLS. calls time out…. 1:05 left.

Semeny drives, is fouled on the way up, as the shot barely bounces out. 2 FT’s 40 seconds left…. First one is good. 2nd one…. MISS!! Cougs rebound, Bennett fouled, I believe 1 and 1. Bennett sinks one, misses one (I think)…. DLS tries to get a quick shot, no go…. 46-41, time out. 14.7 left.

Cougs ball…. They get it in to Aidan, he is fouled. 2 shots, bonus…. Bingo, Bingo. 48-41…. Webster tries to get open, loses balance, walks. final score: COUGS 48, Spartans 41. Incredible game!

The kid is a solid player, but not a thing blows me away. Just callin it like i see it...
He’s a really good player who will fit in good at st marys. You aren’t watching Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. But from a basketball standpoint and purist perspective he’s damn solid and so is campo. Is he going to be an iG highlight reel? No. But will his team win. Yup.

I can appreciate the honest opinion and I'd agree your assessment. I also feel the same way about the kid from Sac High (he has a ton of hype, but he's a big kid now, i don't think his skillset will transfer at the next level). I just hate how the media hypes some of these kids and it's not deserving. Jason Kidd was a beast at the high school and it was obvious. All of his fanfare was deserved.

Reactions: kiddman32
Speaking of Jason Kidd…. As you might guess from my screen name, I watched him a LOT at St. Joe’s.

Every once in awhile away from the hs hoops scene, my seeing Jason play will come up (usually brought up by me, naturally). I’d tell people what I thought back then, which was “He’s going straight to the HOF the very second he’s eligible”.

Of course, he’s there, and got there that fast…. Person I’m talking to would say, “You really do know your stuff!”

I’d say, “No, I can just see the obvious!”

Yeah, that’s how much Kidd stuck out…. Completely, totally, obvious.

Reactions: larry legend33
The guy put up 28 points against a stingy DLS defense that was geared to stop him, and pretty much willed them to victory last night. He stepped it up in the 2nd half when they needed him, and played great D on Blair holding DLS to just 3 points in the deciding 4th quarter. I’m not sure you could ask for much more. There are plenty of studs with gifted bodies up here that look much more impressive than Aiden, but he has risen to the occasion time after time. The guy is a winner!

I can appreciate the honest opinion and I'd agree your assessment. I also feel the same way about the kid from Sac High (he has a ton of hype, but he's a big kid now, i don't think his skillset will transfer at the next level). I just hate how the media hypes some of these kids and it's not deserving. Jason Kidd was a beast at the high school and it was obvious. All of his fanfare was deserved.
Saw both Gary Payton and Jason Kidd in high school. I knew back then that those two would be in the NBA and were special players. I knew Kidd would be a lock for the HOF. Payton certainly deserved HOF, too.

Reactions: concrete17
Yeah I’ve watched a lot of great players over years. He’s the kind of kid coaches love. But he’s not 6”5 200 with a 40 inch vert. But scoring 28 against DLS is like 40+ against anybody else. I watched peja kid last night. His upside is much higher than Aidan to me. But if I had to take one I would pick aidan. That’s just me.

All Mahaney does is Win and is a factor in those W's. He has a state title, Norcal title (covid started) and team went undefeated last year. Never ended a hs season with an L. Doubt anybody else has done that in Norcal. IQ is off the charts and he wins. Will be a good player at St Mary's. Not an NBA Lock but great hs player. Rosenborough is a big body kid who would benefit from losing 15-20 lbs but is all skill set. Shoots and passes at a high level. Only a sophomore so the defense should improve but definitely a high level college prospect.

Aidan surronded by the right players and system can help st mary's win alot of ball games the young man can play.courtney anderson from dublin to me was the best and
Most complete player in that tournament and
He plays with good balance and under control i believe he finsished 6 or 7 points shy of breaking the 3 day scoring record for the tournament.

You know their was another kid with huge basketball IQ, and all he did was win as well. His name is Jeremy Lin. He has only made 70mil in NBA salary. Not every guy in the NBA jumps out the gym, gets on espn every night doing something spectacular. Their are NBA roles to be filled that some people with high IQ and that do what it takes to win mentality actually creates a fit. I think the upside fits Aidan very well. And he is going to a school in which winning has helped a few make some damn good careers in the NBA and overseas as well.

re: Mahaney...he looks like he has gone through the Villanova guard training program...obvious that he has had
great coaching as he is not only fundamentally sound, he is very patient and consistently makes excellent decisions...will be a great asset to St. Mary's and would've been also at Stanford or Cal. This weekend was the first time I've seen Campolindo play and I came away very impressed as they get the most out of their talent. Kidd and Payton are all time great norcal players and no one is comparing him to them...but he is super solid

re: Roseborough...he as all the skills, strength and athleticism to be a great PROSPECT. It's obvious he works hard
as his handle and shot are very advanced for a 15 year old....we have to remember that yes, he is 15. He isn't alert or in the right place on defense, ...also he doesn't hit the boards nearly enough for a guy his size...he should easily average double figures in rebounds. But again, he is a soph and has plenty of time to learn. His base of talent is very high level and because of the hype he may
be overly scrutinized. There aren't many sophomores in the country with more talent.

Aidan surronded by the right players and system can help st mary's win alot of ball games the young man can play.courtney anderson from dublin to me was the best and
Most complete player in that tournament and
He plays with good balance and under control i believe he finsished 6 or 7 points shy of breaking the 3 day scoring record for the tournament.

No question Anderson is a stud with a high ceiling, and had an outstanding tournament. But Dublin getting blown out by 28 Thursday to a Sac team that lost their next 2 games was tough to watch. Dublin underachieved and only won 1 of their 3 games in the tourney. For all the points Anderson scored, I’m sure he’d rather have scored less and be up on the podium with a championship.

aiden and payton/kidd is a disservice to all 3. aiden will never be them and he shouldnt even be brought up with them. aiden may not even be gp3. his first few years at st mary will be far better test and show if he is really elite. and that is how it is for most. he will have to defend much bigger, faster and better players. he doesnt have to do that in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT