ADVERTISEMENT

How important are bye weeks in HS Football?

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Going through stuff for the Top 20 and noticed that St. Mary's and Folsom are both coming off byes when they play De La Salle over the next two weeks.

Is that important in HS football especially early in the year?

I would say it helps if the team is banged up and can buy a player another week to rehab. Does it help with additional prep and readiness? I don’t know. These coaches Are so dialed in now.
I agree. BYE’s help with rehab, not so sure much help when preparing/game-planning, unless new plays (needing more attention) are in play. Over-preparing becoming a potential issue? Unsure.

My sons senior season instead of having a bye before the League season started our coach scheduled a WCAL team. We got pretty banged up, the eventual league winner had a bye that week and we face them the next week. We lost a close game and had guys out and our QB and others hobbled, that was our only league loss. From then on the coach always scheduled the bye before the league season.

Reactions: THEOC89
WCAL coaches all have byes scheduled on the fourth week of the season. No advantage for any of them then. Seems to work OK.

Reactions: THEOC89
I agree on concensus of healing up some injured players as needed. There are some other benefits as well, although I bet no coach admits to looking ahead, but a particular package for a particular opponent down the road can be squeezed in.

Overplanning can be a concern for sure, but an extra days rest here or there can help coaches and players reset, reaffirm season goals. Converesely it could become anguishing for coaches. Are we hitting the sled enough? Where did I set the office keys? Did I miss my anniversary last week?

I would also think for coaches being able to actually see another league opponents game in person would be invaluable.

Also you have weeks of film to draw out conclusive evidence of what we need to do better, "Heal Thyself". Trash can a play or two, fire up the parents booster with a atta boy email or simply bark at the equipment manager all week long, everyday, to fill that shameful itch, that can only be satisfied by friday stripes and white caps. Do your best deniro in the mirror "you talking to me" .

Reactions: larry legend33
A Bye week is good. The reduced time teams can actually tackle during practice - kids appear to be banged up more after a few games. Btw The NFL just had a bye week before the season started.

Going through stuff for the Top 20 and noticed that St. Mary's and Folsom are both coming off byes when they play De La Salle over the next two weeks.

McClymonds is also on a bye before the DLS game. On X I heard they turned down a 10th game against Wilcox to prep for the Spartans. So they must feel it’s important.

Reactions: MC415
Depends on how your playing IMO. If your on a roll, you want to keep that going. Keep the same week to week routine and not have 14 days between games.

If you’re in a funk, you may want to break to have the time to regroup.

DLS had a BYE week last season before playing St. Mary’s. St. Mary’s had a BYE week before playing Turlock in the playoffs. How did those games work out? IMHO, momentum is a factor. Having a BYE provides some advantages for healing/resting players. But, possible complacency during a BYE week might hinder that momentum.

DLS just beat St. Francis after losing a couple of games to OLU and Serra. Beat the Rams and I’d say they have some positive momentum going into their game vs Folsom. St. Mary’s has had momentum winning all 3 of their games to start the season. I’m sure they would like that momentum to continue traveling south to play Bishop Amat. Let’s hope this past BYE week for the Rams did not hinder their momentum. GO RAMS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bella123
McClymonds is also on a bye before the DLS game. On X I heard they turned down a 10th game against Wilcox to prep for the Spartans. So they must feel it’s important.
I think St Marys, McClymonds, and Folsom all took bye weeks prior to the DLS game in deference to DLS's long established reputation and success. Though the Spartans aren't what they used to be, NorCal teams still cast a wary eye when DLS is on the schedule.They still want to be as healthy and well prepared as possible going into that game

Reactions: observer22
Thanks for the good feedback. This is a fun topic. It kind of struck me when I saw it knowing the stats of the top teams in the NFL coming off a bye is pretty good.

Now the NFL isnt HS football so the importance of the bye probably has more to do with healing up/resting if need be

Interesting how all 3 (St. Mary’s, Folsom, and McClymonds) scheduled BYEs prior to facing off vs DLS, and all three facing DLS 3 games in a row. You think they got on the phone and orchestrated this? 😂 lol

Interesting how all 3 (St. Mary’s, Folsom, and McClymonds) scheduled BYEs prior to facing off vs DLS, and all three facing DLS 3 games in a row. You think they got on the phone and orchestrated this? 😂 lol
I know there have been EBAL teams in the past who thought playing De La Salle impacted them the following week and led to worse performances and even losses to teams they should beat.

Bye weeks can be helpful before playing veer/triple option teams because the way you defend those offenses can be quite different from your standard defensive scheme. Those offenses can be harder to prepare for, depending on the group of athletes you have and their ability to focus and execute their specific job.

Bye weeks can be helpful before playing veer/triple option teams because the way you defend those offenses can be quite different from your standard defensive scheme. Those offenses can be harder to prepare for, depending on the group of athletes you have and their ability to focus and execute their specific job.
Seems today teams are not used to defending QB under center?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT