ADVERTISEMENT

Inderkum 23 v Oakdale 27 * Final

Thunderous1

Sports Fanatic
Dec 13, 2003
Inderkum up 20-0 over Oakdale @ half... showcasing their passing ability..... w/ 3 TD passes.

This post was edited on 12/6 9:29 PM by Thunderous1

Re: Inderkum v Oakdale

now 20-7.. Tigers.... Oakdale 3rd opened with a score... forced punt.. and now driving ....

Oakdale 11 yd td pass.... now trails 20-14 to Inderkum 517 left in 3rd

Oakdale 21 Inderkum 20! Oakdale has dominated the 3rd qtr..... 38 sec left in 3rd

Tigers regain lead with FG 23-21 Tigers.. Oakdale knocking again.... inside Tiger 10....

Oakdale scores on 4th and goal from 1.... 2 pt conv. fails Oakdale 27 Inderkum 23 with 354 left in the game

Oakdale int Tiger pass 23 secs left.... victory formation..... pending

Re: Inderkum 23 v Oakdale 27 final

Oakdale wins 27-23. A tale of two halves for sure.....

one heckuva game!

I feel bad for Inderkum and Coach Stark. He must feel snakebitten in these close Championship games.

I hate to be critical, but up 20-0 at half, you've got to be able to find a way to finish that game. When they re-took the lead at 23-21 late, I thought they might pull it off.

But props to Oakdale and Coach Merzon for having the stones to go for it on 4th and goal rather that opt for the FG which still would have given them the lead.

I thought the Tigers didn't show enough urgency on their final drive once they crossed midfield. They took way to much time huddling and getting their plays off. I think that led to having to force the ball down field on 3rd and long with, then, very little time remaining. They had 1st down from around Oakdale's 40 with plenty of time, but after the sack they just didn't seem to understand the situation and allowed precious time to tick even though they appeared to still have a timeout remaining. It just unraveled after that 1st down sack.

Again, props to the Mustangs for their 4th section title and Coach Merzon's 3rd!

Sounds like one hell of a game. Oakdale is one hard nosed team that never quits.

Now it is time to sit and wait and see if it is Oakdale or if it is Enterprise.

Really? I have no horse in this race being from the southern part of the section, but that is an ignorant statement. Look at the success of Inderkum. You don't fire a coach for not winning the big one. This statement truly shows your ignorance! How about this: go get a bachelor's degree then a teaching credential. After doing so, find a teaching job and become an assistant coach somewhere. Work your way up to head coach of a lower level or coordinator at varsity. After proving your knowledge and worthiness, post on here and I will do everything in my power to get you a head coaching job! Of corse, I wouldn't have to, because if you're that good you could find a job on your own. Sorry I couldn't reply to the originator. This will have to do.
I have been a lurker for years. This statement made me register.

This post was edited on 12/7 12:47 PM by Tyler Derden

Tough loss. Still at a loss for words.
We went in to the game with out our RB Austin Thurman, that did not help. We where up 20-0 at half but going in to the locker room we had three defensive starters and two of their back-ups already out. We got NJ Falo back who played through a badly sprained ankle. We had to play a kid at ILB who had yet to play a snap of football all season due to injury (heck of a player who had injury). He didn't even dress for the 1st half, but his parents gave clearance. We ran out dudes and Oakdale made good adjustments. Oakdale got and created some breaks in the 2nd half and we didn't. It was a great 4th quarter. Sucks and hurts a lot to lose!

This post was edited on 12/8 8:31 AM by mistark

Originally posted by ThunderRam:
I feel bad for Inderkum and Coach Stark. He must feel snakebitten in these close Championship games.

I hate to be critical, but up 20-0 at half, you've got to be able to find a way to finish that game. When they re-took the lead at 23-21 late, I thought they might pull it off.

But props to Oakdale and Coach Merzon for having the stones to go for it on 4th and goal rather that opt for the FG which still would have given them the lead.

I thought the Tigers didn't show enough urgency on their final drive once they crossed midfield. They took way to much time huddling and getting their plays off. I think that led to having to force the ball down field on 3rd and long with, then, very little time remaining. They had 1st down from around Oakdale's 40 with plenty of time, but after the sack they just didn't seem to understand the situation and allowed precious time to tick even though they appeared to still have a timeout remaining. It just unraveled after that 1st down sack.

Again, props to the Mustangs for their 4th section title and Coach Merzon's 3rd!
You previously said that I was jumping to conclusions when I basically said the same when the brackets came out. I am not bringing it up to say "I told you so" but to echo your sentiments. I was hoping that this was the year when they would get the monkey off their back, instead the monkey becomes a gorilla and people continue to question Coach Stark.

Oakdale is perennially good. They are pretty vanilla in what they do, but they usually do it very well, make very few mistakes and are very physical. From other accounts of how the game unfolded, that physicality took it's toll on Inderkum resulting in injuries and necessitated a need for depth in the lineup.

Especially now that the SJS D3 winner has to go D2 for the SBG, I would really like to see a more "dynamic" offense rep the north with the hopes for better results than Oakdale fared previously. It's not a knock on Oakdale, but the D2 south rep previously appeared to be much more capable of adjusting their offensive and defensive needs to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses. Oakdale does what they do regardless of who they are playing or the score.

I wish the best to whomever reps NorCal in the D2 SBG and hope that Coach Stark and the Inderkum Tigers continue to build on this season and find themselves knocking on the door of a section championship again next season. Looking forward to the day they kick the door in and throw the gorilla off of a great coaches back.

Originally posted by mistark:
Tough loss. Still at a loss for words.
We went in to the game with out our RB Austin Thurman, that did not help.

This post was edited on 12/8 8:31 AM by mistark
I think this had been mentioned before but I forget where. Why no Thurman?

Originally posted by awood1:

You previously said that I was jumping to conclusions when I basically said the same when the brackets came out. I am not bringing it up to say "I told you so" but to echo your sentiments. I was hoping that this was the year when they would get the monkey off their back, instead the monkey becomes a gorilla and people continue to question Coach Stark.
I said I wasn't ready to label them a program that can't get it done in the playoffs. The original comment, not from yourself, stated that Inderkum would fall apart somewhere along the way - as if they have a poor playoff history or rarely advance very far. I defended them stating that they've reached the Final a couple of times and we're a play or two away from winning.

In 2008, they lost to a better team IMO and it was a testament to their coaches and team that they battled back to force an OT. In 2009, I felt they were hurt by the severe downpour that limited what they could do - hurting them more than it did their opponent.

However, this year, I believe they lost to a team they really should have beat especially considering the halftime score. In other words, this is the first time I think your criticism has some validity. Previously, I don't believe it was warranted.

If the Tigers would stop running the Wing T with all that speed than maybe they could get over the lable of Great Regular Season, but lets go lose the big one year in and year out."

"It's not a knock on Oakdale, but the D2 south rep previously appeared to be much more capable of adjusting their offensive and defensive needs to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses. Oakdale does what they do regardless of who they are playing or the score."

Awood .... Are you serious? lol A team runs what they run. Of course they have to adjust to exploit an opponent's weaknesses. What you make it sound like is that a team should abandon their offense and defense and run something
different if they get to a State game. I watched the Oakdale v Inderkum game. It looked to me that Oakdale made some pretty good adjustments at halftime, hence the success in the 2nd half. It's common sense, if I am playing a passing team, I'm going to adjust defensively in efforts to defend the pass effectively. If I'm playing a heavy run team, I'll run my defense with more guys in the box. I think the difference for Inderkum in the first half .. was the fact that they exploited Oakdale's run oriented defense as evidenced by 3 TD passes. It was evident that Oakdale made adjustments in the 2nd half as they limited Inderkum to only 3 points.

Originally posted by Thunderous1:
"It's not a knock on Oakdale, but the D2 south rep previously appeared to be much more capable of adjusting their offensive and defensive needs to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses. Oakdale does what they do regardless of who they are playing or the score."

Awood .... Are you serious? lol A team runs what they run. Of course they have to adjust to exploit an opponent's weaknesses. What you make it sound like is that a team should abandon their offense and defense and run something
different if they get to a State game. I watched the Oakdale v Inderkum game. It looked to me that Oakdale made some pretty good adjustments at halftime, hence the success in the 2nd half. It's common sense, if I am playing a passing team, I'm going to adjust defensively in efforts to defend the pass effectively. If I'm playing a heavy run team, I'll run my defense with more guys in the box. I think the difference for Inderkum in the first half .. was the fact that they exploited Oakdale's run oriented defense as evidenced by 3 TD passes. It was evident that Oakdale made adjustments in the 2nd half as they limited Inderkum to only 3 points.
Yessir, I am serious. I believe a good team makes adjustments EVERY week. WTF would anyone watch film if they weren't making any adjustments based on what they saw? I'm not suggesting that you go from Power I to spread in a week, but if you are getting pounded at the LOS and running 2 safeties 15yds off the ball you need to change something. If you our average 180lbs on the OL and their DL avgs 300+, you better have speed to get outside or a passing game. It's not unreasonable to think that after getting toasted for 21pts in the 1st qtr it MAY be time to get out the white board and make some adjustments.

Of course you make adjustments.. but you don't scrap everything weekly. You put in wrinkles. You will not know what you're going to get until you line up and play the game. Watching film is always a must.... but what if someone did actually scrap their let's say....Wing-T offense and install a Spread for a team that was susceptible to the pass? for shits and giggles what if? ;o)

This post was edited on 12/11 12:52 AM by Thunderous1

Originally posted by Thunderous1:
Of course you make adjustments.. but you don't scrap everything weekly. You put in wrinkles. You will not know what you're going to get until you line up and play the game. Watching film is always a must.... but what if someone did actually scrap their let's say....Wing-T offense and install a Spread for a team that was susceptible to the pass? for shits and giggles what if? ;o)

This post was edited on 12/11 12:52 AM by Thunderous1
You'd either go down as a genius or a goat, depending on the results! It would take an excellent coaching staff and a group of extraordinary kids for that to NOT be a disaster. It's kind of like the all-star games where you throw together great athletes and players under a system that none of them have ever practiced and hope for the best after a few practices.

awood1 vs Thunderous1

This shit is entertaining... Please proceed...
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT