ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Updates

Thanks for all the updates KD32. Another season of high school basketball is in the books - it's time for all of us to find another hobby for six-eight months. KD32 make sure to change the oil in the car if you haven't already from all your travels over the past 4+ months.

Reactions: observer22
Funny that Hinton is going from Harvard-Westlake to The Harvard for his college bball.

I know the whole competitive equity thing, but how did Monterey end up a 11 seed in D4?

As predicted, all the games that matter go to SoCal easy. I tried to tell you guys it's different down here.
Not sure exactly who it is that you are arguing with or what keen insights you are referring to that wasn't apparent to anyone with any basketball acumen!. I haven't seen anyone on this NorCal forum claiming that NorCal has superior or even equal depth, quality and quantity of teams at the Open / High D1 levels that SoCal has.

That said the HW - Salesian game went down to the wire. Pretty sure if you asked HW's coach whether their win over Salesian was EASY - he'd disagree w/ your assessment! Even public school SRV hung close to uber-private SJB for the most part. You are coming across like SoCal blew the doors off NorCal in the state finals which isn't the case.

Not sure exactly who it is that you are arguing with or what keen insights you are referring to that wasn't apparent to anyone with any basketball acumen!. I haven't seen anyone on this NorCal forum claiming that NorCal has superior or even equal depth, quality and quantity of teams at the Open / High D1 levels that SoCal has.

That said the HW - Salesian game went down to the wire. Pretty sure if you asked HW's coach whether their win over Salesian was EASY - he'd disagree w/ your assessment! Even public school SRV hung close to uber-private SJB for the most part. You are coming across like SoCal blew the doors off NorCal in the state finals which isn't the case.
Harvard-Westlake didn't even play their top lineup lol. This was a vacation and celebration trip for winning the real championship earlier in the week. They took the game "serious" for all of about a minute and a half and blew Salesian's doors off.

• Haha
Reactions: viper221980
It was definitely a down year in NorCal, except for Mitty.

Hopefully things are better in 24-25.

It was definitely a down year in NorCal, except for Mitty.

Hopefully things are better in 24-25.
Huh? Mitty girls were the only #1 CA ranked NorCal team heading into last Saturday, heck, US #1 and were blown out by Etiwanda.

Huge congrats to Salesian on a great season. To me it’s a tremendous accomplishment to literally have one senior going to Hawaii and another looking at a D2 and a D3 school and be able to battle it out until the last week of basketball.

I follow maxpreps
Harvard-Westlake didn't even play their top lineup lol. This was a vacation and celebration trip for winning the real championship earlier in the week. They took the game "serious" for all of about a minute and a half and blew Salesian's doors off.
We see your still related to the pet rock. How is the pet doing these days.

NorCal more than held their own, and if you think Harvard Westlake didn’t care, you are crazy.

This was a really good season for so many teams and it doesn’t matter what division they are in, Athenian and Monterey won their first state titles and Oakland Tech won their first state title in a long long time. Maybe ever. Someone fact check me on that.

Anyways, a good season of basketball comes to an end. I think everyone here should be cheering for Prolific Prep as they will be the only CA team to participate in the Chipotle Nationals (Formerly Geico Nationals) coming up in a couple of weeks.

Going to be near impossible to beat Montverde, but you never know! If you want to watch the rest of their games, you can watch on tanager tv for free and then I believe Geicos will be on ESPN

NorCal more than held their own, and if you think Harvard Westlake didn’t care, you are crazy.

This was a really good season for so many teams and it doesn’t matter what division they are in, Athenian and Monterey won their first state titles and Oakland Tech won their first state title in a long long time. Maybe ever. Someone fact check me on that.

Anyways, a good season of basketball comes to an end. I think everyone here should be cheering for Prolific Prep as they will be the only CA team to participate in the Chipotle Nationals (Formerly Geico Nationals) coming up in a couple of weeks.

Going to be near impossible to beat Montverde, but you never know! If you want to watch the rest of their games, you can watch on tanager tv for free and then I believe Geicos will be on ESPN
you know this aint the place for prolific to get any love. also, what other teams are eligible from california?

I could care less about Prolific Prep. It doesn’t represent anyone living here.

It’s a European Club type program which is fine, but no one I know cares about it, could tell you their record or would be unable to name anyone on the team. It may be higher level basketball talent wise, but it does not match the emotional tie in that high school sport can bring to a school or community. I can imagine most of Northern California prep fans were pulling for the Nor Ca teams last weekend.

I wonder how many will be checking Twitter for Prolific score updates?

It’s a European Club type program which is fine, but no one I know cares about it, could tell you their record or would be unable to name anyone on the team. It may be higher level basketball talent wise, but it does not match the emotional tie in that high school sport can bring to a school or community. I can imagine most of Northern California prep fans were pulling for the Nor Ca teams last weekend.

the city of napa comes out in bunches to support PP. Also, there is always someone locally on the team.

Got to be honest. They run a great event, the crush in the valley, although it’s at Contra Costa College. I was never a big fan until I watched them play. They play a 24 second shot clock, 10 minute quarters, some serious players on the court. They currently have the number 1 sophomore and junior in the nation. And with the athleticism, height and speed, I totally understand why this type of setup is in play.

Got to be honest. They run a great event, the crush in the valley, although it’s at Contra Costa College. I was never a big fan until I watched them play. They play a 24 second shot clock, 10 minute quarters, some serious players on the court. They currently have the number 1 sophomore and junior in the nation. And with the athleticism, height and speed, I totally understand why this type of setup is in play.
I read on here a few days ago that the #1 sophomore in the nation was McCoy of St. John Bosco that just beat SRV for the D1 title. Is there a different ranking system for the Prolific Prep guy? How many guys across America have been touted as the top player in their class?

I read on here a few days ago that the #1 sophomore in the nation was McCoy of St. John Bosco that just beat SRV for the D1 title. Is there a different ranking system for the Prolific Prep guy? How many guys across America have been touted as the top player in their class?
there are 3 publications who rank.. espn, rivals and maybe usa today? 4 if you include norcal preps with ayalar and larry

I tend to follow ESPN. They have Dybansta one and Stokes one. McCoy is second. Guess we can argue one and two.

Just need a twitter account, IG, and some followers and you got a brand and a ranking. Doesn't mean a whole lot.
I was banking on the the professor to take his talents from the AND1 tour but it didn't work out.
Look at the kid from UK Reed Shepherd. Nobody had him as an NBA player before they put on the blue practice jersey's at kentucky. Now, he's a lotto pick and usually one of the best players (if not the best) on the floor. But if you know hoops you realize his old man was a straight baller and elite athlete.

Reactions: ayalar09
I tend to follow ESPN. They have Dybansta one and Stokes one. McCoy is second. Guess we can argue one and two.
Biancardi at espn is a well know hack and barely has a pulse on the west coast. Rivals and 247 do a better job imo but everyone has their favorite.

Huh? Mitty girls were the only #1 CA ranked NorCal team heading into last Saturday, heck, US #1 and were blown out by Etiwanda.

Just need a twitter account, IG, and some followers and you got a brand and a ranking. Doesn't mean a whole lot.
I was banking on the the professor to take his talents from the AND1 tour but it didn't work out.
Look at the kid from UK Reed Shepherd. Nobody had him as an NBA player before they put on the blue practice jersey's at kentucky. Now, he's a lotto pick and usually one of the best players (if not the best) on the floor. But if you know hoops you realize his old man was a straight baller and elite athlete.

This draft class is probably one of the weakest in recent memory, if not THE weakest. So bad that Reed Sheppard is considered a consensus lottery pick, and potential no 1 overall pick with a big NCAA Tournament. He was ranked 79 on 247 but was as high as 43, so potential was there. He was 23rd on espn and a Mcdonalds All America. A undersized Rob Dillingham is another guy projected to be a surefire Lottery Pick.

Now 2025 is a horse of a completely different color. I think you have at least one generational talent (Cooper Flagg), a multi time future All Star (Ace Bailey) and one of the most toolsy prospects I have ever seen (VJ Edgecombe)….and that’s not including Dylan Harper who is a hell of a player and there are rumors that Cameron Boozer might reclassify to 2024 and join Flagg at Duke.

What’s my main point? The rankings are very subjective. A good player in Kentucky is going to be a good player in California is going to be a good player in Canada.

Reactions: M.C. fan
dogg... he was rated #22, 2 time kentucky mr basketball and a mcdonalds all american... SOMEBODY thought he was aight

Biancardi at espn is a well know hack and barely has a pulse on the west coast. Rivals and 247 do a better job imo but everyone has their favorite.
Everyone has a favorite and it changes based on where their guys are ranked LOL

nah man.. he wasn't even starting at UK beginning of year. All talk was on guys like Wagner. I'm talking about in NBA picture.

Here you go again with the Rocky Balboa analogy. The kid is a solid player, but no where near the #1 pick. That's biased nonsense. Really all its doing is putting unnecessary pressure on the kid. They like the kids story, clean background, his ethnicity is what is desired in the league (100% true), so they are pushing him. That is crazy, but that's the world we live in. Last year yal was talking about how special Aiden Mahoney is..... Extremely quiet about it these days. Lol.

Here you go again with the Rocky Balboa analogy. The kid is a solid player, but no where near the #1 pick. That's biased nonsense. Really all its doing is putting unnecessary pressure on the kid. They like the kids story, clean background, his ethnicity is what is desired in the league (100% true), so they are pushing him. That is crazy, but that's the world we live in. Last year yal was talking about how special Aiden Mahoney is..... Extremely quiet about it these days. Lol.
100% true.. Haha. Ok buddy. Glad you were able to verify that. The least factual thing I've read on this board in quite sometime. Talent prevails in the NBA. Plain and simple. St Mary's is 25-7 and Mahaney is just fine.

Last year yal was talking about how special Aiden Mahoney is..... Extremely quiet about it these days. Lol.
Mahaney was just named first team All WCC, so evidently someone thinks he’s pretty good (no word if Kiddman had a vote).
Bennett Coach of the Year & Ryan Beasley Freshman of the Year. Tyler Harris also on the All Frosh team. Nice to see the local guys succeed, in many people’s eyes.

and why is kiddman NOT in vegas??!!
I walked out of Golden 1 with him Saturday night, and he was exhausted after spending 2 full days there. That said, I wouldn’t rule out that he made the trip to Vegas. You know he was watching that game closely! Nice job by Aiden and the Gaels. Another NorCal kid Mason Forbes from Folsom played well too, I hope he’s ok from hitting the floor there near the finish.

Nope, I didn't go to Vegas, for the reasons observer 22 pointed out.

Watched the Gaels win it on ESPN.

And, YES, the Gaels need to make the 2nd weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT