ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting way to deal with obnoxious fans...

A Little League baseball organization in New Jersey has implemented a new rule: Any parent that argues with an umpire has to volunteer as an umpire for three games before being allowed back as a spectator.
Sucks for the kids to have a non trained umpire destroy games with incorrect calls since they don’t know the rules or nuances to the game that umpires must know. I wouldn’t want an obnoxious parent with zero training to be affecting my kids game as a punishment.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
well, there's that...

Then again, umps at most Little League games are volunteers anyway. And I have seen cases when watching nephew's games that showed these volunteers often don't know the rules, such as what determines when a ball is fair or foul.

now, hoops is probably another story. Giving some fan a striped shirt and whistle would almost certainly be a disaster if it were to actually happen.

Sucks for the kids to have a non trained umpire destroy games with incorrect calls since they don’t know the rules or nuances to the game that umpires must know. I wouldn’t want an obnoxious parent with zero training to be affecting my kids game as a punishment.
I think would have been fun. I know if they were behind the dish, 12 year old me would have had my catcher step out for a pitch out and I would have thrown it right down the middle to check their instincts :D

I'd make obnoxious parents work at the snack bar for a couple of games instead of umpiring/being a ref.

Gets them out of the stands for a time and some time in customer service will shape up most people :)
I dunno Streak, been selling souvenir programs at HS football games for over 15 years (about as long as I have been a NCP subscriber)and I've yet to see the light of reformation. 👺

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
I think would have been fun. I know if they were behind the dish, 12 year old me would have had my catcher step out for a pitch out and I would have thrown it right down the middle to check their instincts :D
That actually happened once in a MLB game that I was watching on the tube... Caught the ump right between the... [censored]! I forget who the teams were or how long ago it was, but I'm sure that ump remembers!

I doubt it was planned, the catcher and pitcher just botched signs.

edit: I remember now... It was the 1984 World Series, where Detroit won in 5, looking like the heavy favorite they were... But this was during the one they lost, looking more like a last-place team. Seriously, it looked like they'd totally forgotten how to play baseball for that one game.

Last edited:
I dunno Streak, been selling souvenir programs at HS football games for over 15 years (about as long as I have been a NCP subscriber)and I've yet to see the light of reformation. 👺
So my plan has its limitations on reform LOL

That actually happened once in a MLB game that I was watching on the tube... Caught the ump right between the... [censored]! I forget who the teams were or how long ago it was, but I'm sure that ump remembers!

I doubt it was planned, the catcher and pitcher just botched signs.

edit: I remember now... It was the 1984 World Series, where Detroit won in 5, looking like the heavy favorite they were... But this was during the one they lost, looking more like a last-place team. Seriously, it looked like they'd totally forgotten how to play baseball for that one game.
Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking of. Now does the pitch count as a strike or 2 balls? :D

• Haha
Reactions: concrete17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT