ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Green..... Welcome to NorCal

Meezymo, there's no real evidence he's going anywhere, but many think that because SJM graduated just about all its players except Green, he might transfer... Some on this board think Modesto Christian is his most likely target.

But all this is completely unsubstantiated at the moment. I have no idea, but I think his moving on from SJM is at least a possibility.

Reactions: meezymo
Meezymo, there's no real evidence he's going anywhere, but many think that because SJM graduated just about all its players except Green, he might transfer... Some on this board think Modesto Christian is his most likely target.

But all this is completely unsubstantiated at the moment. I have no idea, but I think his moving on from SJM is at least a possibility.

Kids talk... Very substantiated from kids in the know. Already moved, paperwork filed. Actually sounds like very legit move.
He’s not coming alone either!

I'm not saying any of this transfer stuff if false, just saying it hasn't been substantiated by any formal announcement.

As far as that goes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened. After all, if he stays put at SJM, he'll be triple-teamed as soon as he leaves the locker room. That can't be the most enjoyable experience in the world to have to try and beat a stacked junk defense 100% of the time, even though he may be so good that he beats said crazy defense on a regular basis.

I would say also that *if* Green does indeed make his way up 99 to MC it would make them the clear favorite to win NorCal, and an extremely tough challenge for whatever makes its way up to Golden1 in March.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we were to find that he moved on up to Napa to join a certain Crew.... :::: runs like hell ::::

I'm not saying any of this transfer stuff if false, just saying it hasn't been substantiated by any formal announcement.

As far as that goes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened. After all, if he stays put at SJM, he'll be triple-teamed as soon as he leaves the locker room. That can't be the most enjoyable experience in the world to have to try and beat a stacked junk defense 100% of the time, even though he may be so good that he beats said crazy defense on a regular basis.

I would say also that *if* Green does indeed make his way up 99 to MC it would make them the clear favorite to win NorCal, and an extremely tough challenge for whatever makes its way up to Golden1 in March.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we were to find that he moved on up to Napa to join a certain Crew.... :::: runs like hell ::::
MC will be too 5 in nation if these 3 players get approved.
Big chance a Dominant young big man from east coast on way.
Don’t know much about 3rd player other than high flying relative of Green.
Wouldn’t be surprised if others follow...

MC without these transfers is a top 2 team in Norcal. With any of them they are a legit state title contender and beyond. I thought MC was the most talented team on paper last year but they didn't quite have the chemistry.

Man if Jalen Green goes to Modesto Christian.. I'd follow that team more then I'd follow my own Logan team.

They'd easily be the most interesting story in HS basketball IMO, and that style of play would be so fun to watch. I'm hoping this happens.

Edit: And if that mountain looking dude in the post above also makes his way to MC, it's over for the competition lol. That wouldn't even be fair

Rumors always circulate about transfers and sometimes they are accurate and sometimes they are just that… rumors… About a month ago there were rumors on this board about Kendall Munson transferring to Sheldon, only to have someone else start another thread and say Munson is going to Mater Dei. People always think they know but how many are really on the “inside” and know? Probably not many.

If the kid is moving schools, I highly doubt they have already moved. Maybe his school is already out of session for the summer, but I know most schools are still finishing up the year doing finals, doesn’t really seem like a logical time to move. And I believe there would be much more “noise” about this, if anything was official.

I don’t know why Bones40 you think there is a chance it WOULDN’T get approved by the CIF. If a family takes their child to another school, they have a right to do that. If that family happens to have a student athlete and it’s a full family move, then the student would be able to play right away. I would hate to be on the end of that lawsuit the CIF is issued, if they tried to stop it from happening.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the once in a lifetime talent that Jalen Green is and I know possibly the other kid in the video posted could fit that same description as well, but a student athlete being a high profile player or a benchwarmer wouldn’t matter. If there is no undue influence, then there isn’t anything any one person or entity (CIF) could legally do about it.

I agree with Larry Legend33, MC without these transfers is one of the top two teams in Nor Cal. But I kind of compare it to the Warriors. Jalen Green could come in and be their Kevin Durant that takes them to the promise land. It would be nice to finally see a Nor Cal team actually win the Open State Championship. As a huge basketball fan who lives in Nor Cal, I sure hope it happens. I am greedy. We might not be able to watch another player in the “area” replicate what he is capable of doing for a long time or maybe never again.

Based on all the information in the thread, as far as SJM losing most of all their talent besides Jalen, it does make perfect basketball sense. However, it seems as SJM has loaded up their schedule and via twitter they just confirmed a huge national tournament they will be attending. So, I highly doubt Jalen has left, at least at this point. If he does leave I’m sure all those games rollover to MC though, who I believe already has a game lined up against Oak Hill.

It will make for an interesting summer and even a better season of hoops that will be here before we know it.

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying, I am 30 years old. Jalen Green is the best Sophomore to ever play the game of basketball. Yeah I went there. He was better than Lebron was as a Sophomore. He was better than Jordan was as a sophomore. He is a freak athlete, who I feel would go top 10 in this years draft, were he eligible. He's a generational talent.

That being said, I promise the board this. Jalen Green WILL NOT leave SJM....He won't leave next year, he won't leave his senior year. If anything I expect other players to transfer to SJM to play with him. Green loves his hometown and I just don't see him leaving Fresno. Plus it's not like SJM is some scrub program.

Let me start off by saying, I am 30 years old. Jalen Green is the best Sophomore to ever play the game of basketball. Yeah I went there. He was better than Lebron was as a Sophomore. He was better than Jordan was as a sophomore. He is a freak athlete, who I feel would go top 10 in this years draft, were he eligible. He's a generational talent.

That being said, I promise the board this. Jalen Green WILL NOT leave SJM....He won't leave next year, he won't leave his senior year. If anything I expect other players to transfer to SJM to play with him. Green loves his hometown and I just don't see him leaving Fresno. Plus it's not like SJM is some scrub program.

LEBRON as a sophomore avg 25.2 ppg 7.2 rebs 5.8 asst 3.8 steals

The team was 26-1 repeated as state champs

Mr. Ohio basketball winner as well as The USA Today ALL USA FIRST TEAM. First sophomore to do both.

RELAX

Based on ayalar's post I now 100% believe that Jalen will be leaving SJM, because that dude was so wrong about everything else he said there, have to assume he's wrong about that too lol...

all jokes aside, Jalen is very very talented... but... CHILLLLLLLLL

You funny. Didn't Aaron Gordon set a state championship rebound record his sophomore year? I watched him drop 32 on Oakland High with Brown as a senior guarding him who I believe was in the NBA. So honestly not sure he's the best sophomore from Cali this decade. He's really really good and will one day play for money but absolute statements like that are kinda silly.

Jalen wasn't as good as Jason Kidd at the same grade for god sake. Not even close. Being a freak athlete and great basketball player are often 2 different things. Lebron is a once in 50 year type player. Maybe century. Jalen Green is a great player with huge upside but you can't start throwing those statements around. Now if you want to say he's got a higher ceiling than kyree walker and those types I'm a believer. Wish kid lots of luck and hope he goes far.

Agree, LL... If we could use a time machine and putt Kidd as a soph in these times with YouTube and Twitter, he would been 20 times as big a sensation as McClung, maybe more. Same for LeBron.

Some were saying (not me) that Kidd should have just gone ahead and entered the NBA Draft after his junior year at St. Joe's, and they weren't kidding or hyping. Even J Kidd himself scoffed at that opinion, but that tells you just how GREAT Kidd was, that anyone would seriously want to see him in the NBA with just 3 years of HS experience. Now, if that had happened, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get drafted late 1st or in the 2nd round, some exec would have taken a shot... But he would have struggled for awhile in the league, probably at least a couple seasons before he'd be a star.

By very very far the greatest HS player in the history of NorCal.

Jalen's great, but nowhere close to Kidd at the same age. Or LeBron at that age, for that matter...

Reactions: romezzy2577
Ok. What people fail to realize is none of the guys you mentioned had to deal with nearly the hype that this kid Green is going to get. The reason I say he's the best, is because I see KD's body and shot, I see Vince Carter's dunking ability, and I see Kobe's attitude all wrapped up into one package.

I wasn't old enough to watch Jason Kidd. I bet he killed it, so maybe I misspoke there. As for Lebron, I'll give him props for what he accomplished as a Sophomore. And he went through the first wave of real media hype for a prospect. But comparing that league he played in, to the league Green plays in, is like comparing AAA baseball to Single-A Baseball.

Everyone knows the best Basketball in the Country come from the Tri-State Area on the East Coast, Florida, California (mostly Socal), and Utah is a little bit of a dark horse.

All I'm saying is Green has been playing Division I CIF Basketball or Open Division Basketball since he was a freshman. By the time he is a Junior and Senior, I shutter to think how good he could be. Only thing that could potentially hinder him is taller/heavier competition pushing him around.

Respect to everyone who responded to my opinion.

Jalen isnt even the best 2020 kid in California, Evan Mobley is better than him right now. Jalen has a chance to be special but please calm down with the hype. He didnt go to pangos last week and he could have proved he was the best but his advisors probably told him to stay at home. We need to be careful with the potential we think kids have at a young age, because it causes more damage than good.

Reactions: frencheezy
Have any of you seen Nico Mannion out of Pinnacle Az play. He is quite an impressive 2020 guard as well.

Green will be very special. Has all the tools and size to making big money one day. Mannion is a nice player who has good genes. Seems more of a Duke/KU system type kid to me though long term. Not in the same class as these other kids.

And for the record JKIDD was NBA worthy by Soph year in HS. Ask Payton and Shaw. Kidd had to have home games moved to Oak Coliseum and he got 15k attendance. Talk about hype. Will probably never see anything like it again in my lifetime.

With social media and games being on YouTube you think we will ever have a kid sell out gyms and have games moved like that EVER AGAIN?? we just had the best frosh in the country at Moreau a season ago and I don’t think they even sold out they own gym!! And he was playin with one of the top guards in the state as well.... will there ever be another hyped up like JKidd? Is it even possible?

Great point air_baller. We won't ever see anything like Kidd because that was before any social media/youtube/scouting services etc. So it was all word of mouth and looking up box scores in the chronicle/Oak Tribune. You had to invest in a 1-2 hour drive depending on where you came from if you didn't get to play against him in person. Those were great times and i wouldn't trade it for anything. One thing about Kidd is he was so physically gifted in terms of big and fast. He had the body to play in the league and the IQ on the court from a young age. He learned to be a great shooter after college. Guys like k. walker don't do much more me. They just don't. Personally I would rather see a well coached team like Salesian and there PG play as an example. But that is just me.

Green will be very special. Has all the tools and size to making big money one day. Mannion is a nice player who has good genes. Seems more of a Duke/KU system type kid to me though long term. Not in the same class as these other kids.

And for the record JKIDD was NBA worthy by Soph year in HS. Ask Payton and Shaw. Kidd had to have home games moved to Oak Coliseum and he got 15k attendance. Talk about hype. Will probably never see anything like it again in my lifetime.
Obviously you have never witnessed Mannion in person. Do your homework. Mannion is silky smooth with incredible vision, changes speed well , can shoot off the dribble and from the parking lot. He creates for his team and is not a system guy. He put up 44 against Folsom this year then followed with 32 the next night vs Sheldon . For those 2 games he was 23-36 including 14-22 for 3. His percentage for year 57-44-83.
In comparison Jalen green Made 3 3’s in first 5 minutes vs Sheldon then could only muster 2 more baskets the rest of game and overtime in the Open Playoffs going 2-12 in that stretch. SHELDON was able to guard him after they made the early switch. Specifically 2020 Xavion Brown guarding him. SHELDON or Folsom had no answer for Mannion.

I have not seen J. Green play enough to fully compare him to Mannion as I only have seen Green play once and I never fully judge a kid on one game. I have seen Mannion play live 3 times, including the two games HEAT references, and seen him on film as well. I have seen a lot of high school ball and great hs players in my lifetime (dating all the way back to early 80s with teams like Boys and Girls HS with Pearl and Elmer Anderson, Dobbins Tech with Bo and Hank, Bronx Truman with Rod Strickland, the great DeMatha teams of the 80s with Danny Ferry, Steve Hood and Jerrod Mustaf, Stu Vetter's great Flint HIll squads with Dennis Scott, George Lynch and Sam Jefferson etc.). I have watched at least 500 live high school games over the past 35 years and seen others on film/TV, many of them have been with high caliber players on both sides. I am not sure I have ever seen a more impressive high school sophomore than Nico Mannion in all this time. I would be interested in how you could dismiss him and say he his not in the same class as Green and paint him as just a very good player. His skill set is ridiculous and IMHO he could walk in today and start at any D1 program in the country and he still has 2 more years of HS left. He is extraordinary.

Reactions: H.E.A.T.
How do you define a true 2020?

Mannion was born in March 2001. He is 17.

I imagine he will reclassify.

Mannion is not in the same class as Green as far as upside. We are talking about a future lottery straight from highschool in (Green) Mannion is one of those kids you don’t know if he’s a pro. And when i say pro i meant NBA pro. Mannion is very skilled as I’ve seen him multiple times. I feel like there’s not much ceiling there. Meaning he’s pretty maxed out on how good he can be. NBA scouts are drooling over Green upside and potential. Comparing him to Penny Hardaway and Paul George.

But the him being better than Lebron statement above is ridiculous. Lebron is a once in a lifetime player. So please stop that comparison.

Last time I checked we weeent talking about upside , potential or whatever you want to call it. If you talk about bring a sophomore in high school and the greatest sophomore ever I don’t think Greene is that guy. Also to say Mannion is just alright and a system guy makes you look foolish in my opinion.

Reactions: laidbackcoach
I'm Talking about upside. Do your homework HEAT. Your just a bitter person in general. Jalen Green will be a lottery pick in the NBA Draft. Mannion will be a very good player at a DUKE/KU type. What is wrong with that btw? Quinn Cook just got a ring after being a very good player for coach K.

Played against KIDD in HS and its not even close to either kid in terms of players. And Lebron... Hahahhha. Sat next to Geoff Petrie and Kiki Vandeweigh at Pauley Pavilion when St Vincent/St Mary's played MD and they both told me he's the best HS player they've ever seen and would start on any NBA team right now. Like I said lets wait a little but Jalen has huge upside.

I lived clear across the country when Kidd was in high school. I remember how tired I was of Dick Vitale saying Jason Kidd was best player in High School every 4:00 Big East Game ! Lol. Then we moved to Cali and I saw him vs Jesuit, Yikes! Saw LeBron in person at the elite 8, Yikes again. Aaron Gordon is my favorite high school player ever, but he is a big level below James and Kidd. Green is a great player but has work to do. Athletic strong defenders who violate his space bother him. Salesian showed us that. And once Sheldon but a strong super athletic Xavion Brown on him he struggled. That being said I do think he is one of best players in America and will be shocked if he left a sports crazed city like Fresno where he is already basically worshiped. And Unless things have changed at SJM they don't load up on transfers, ask the Lopez twins and Quincy. Think they could have used a oh? Lol.

Reactions: H.E.A.T.
Crazy thing about Gordon that a lot of people may not know is he was young for his grade. I want to say he was barely 17 senior year in HS. In a day when nobody is really a fresh or soph that was even more impressive. He was truly a 14 year old playing varsity basketball at Mitty in 9th. He's only 22 and going into his 5th NBA season! Again upside.... The scouts know this stuff. Unlike guys like Kyree walker who are looking for there kids in the stands. Hell Mannion will be a 18 year old jr. What a farce today.

Reactions: romezzy2577
He reclassed I think when he was in the 8th grade. Same as the Mobley kid. 2019 that dropped to 2020.

Mannion is very very good. I don't like to peg guys as can't miss NBA players but I would be surprised if he didn't have a solid pro career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT