ADVERTISEMENT

James Akinjo

James Akinjo is leaving Georgetown.

Ok, life is about trial and error and learning from one's own mistakes as well as others who have made the similar mistakes. Bay Area kids, dont go east, especially Georgetown. Its not going to work out. Domingo, now Akinjo. Sheeesh.

Ok, life is about trial and error and learning from one's own mistakes as well as others who have made the similar mistakes. Bay Area kids, dont go east, especially Georgetown. Its not going to work out. Domingo, now Akinjo. Sheeesh.
why is that? because 2 people decided it did not work?

This is stunning. He was one of the best players in the entire Big East. I have no clue why mid season he would transfer, but that’s good news for Bay Area Schools.

You’d have to imagine: Cal, St Mary’s, USF and all the other local teams are going to be the expected landing places for Akinjo.

Big “Pat” was laying into him on national Tv last week. Gotta think he had an issue with mr. Ewing. You don’t see a press release like that otherwise.

Big “Pat” was laying into him on national Tv last week. Gotta think he had an issue with mr. Ewing. You don’t see a press release like that otherwise.
i watched that game. he didnt get back on defense a couple times and he was barked at.... i thought james would be able to deal. he seemed built for the bright lights

Reactions: ramfan83
Akinjo is not in any of those articles and thank god.

my guess is he knew this was going to be bad and decided to leave now before it was too late for him to play again next year.

Very crazy situation.

Reactions: mansnothot
Akinjo is not in any of those articles and thank god.

my guess is he knew this was going to be bad and decided to leave now before it was too late for him to play again next year.

Very crazy situation.

Yes. Hoping he is just trying to get distance from all that

I doubt he’s distancing himself. I am betting he is leaving because of on court reasons. It is a really bad optic to leave mid season if there were not a serious issue. Hopefully he gets some sound advisors in his ear quickly.

Reactions: BadBucks
You're wrong youseechief. Akinjo is an intelligent young man and he is not going to go down with three idiots. Patrick Ewing has no control of his program and Akinjo is smart to be gone. By formally withdrawing now, he will be eligible by this time next year if not sooner.

its a bad look. He was potentially 4 months from really getting paid. And regardless whatever you think about Mr Ewing. He was/is a top 50 nba player all time... So NBA scouts will come to him and ask his opinion on players he coached.

Reactions: BadBucks
its a bad look. He was potentially 4 months from really getting paid. And regardless whatever you think about Mr Ewing. He was/is a top 50 nba player all time... So NBA scouts will come to him and ask his opinion on players he coached.
i do agree that pat's word to nba execs is pretty solid. might have made a difference if he was a fringe first rounder. not saying he is but if that were the case

Nothing wrong with starting out as a G-League player and working your way up. Keep working, injuries can happen and your chance will come.

Reactions: ankleassassin
I have a lot of respect for Jordan and Ewing as players. As coaches/executives I think they are horrible. It has to do with the fact that both of them were so good, they really can’t relate to players who aren’t as good as they are. They don’t know how to properly judge talent. That’s just my
2 cents.

As for Akinjo, I think the 2020 NBA draft shouldn’t be off the table. He has a lot of time to train now, maybe he does what Marjon Beauchamp did and starts training with Chameleon in SF.

Akinjo is a very good player and I think he’s leaving a messy team, before things get messier. Don’t be surprised to see him enter the 2020 draft in lieu of going back to school.

Big Pat has a ton of credibility and like somebody pointed out one of the true greats to play. My cousin went to Gtown with him and he said was always a solid guy and well respected. Trouble never followed Ewing and he is dealing with a situation quickly and severely.

Isn’t this the 3rd time a guard from Salesian has ended up in a bad situation? bird, Akinjo, and Artis? Hope it works out for the young man but the situation looks bad. He needs to come out with a statement.

I have a lot of respect for Jordan and Ewing as players. As coaches/executives I think they are horrible. It has to do with the fact that both of them were so good, they really can’t relate to players who aren’t as good as they are. They don’t know how to properly judge talent. That’s just my
2 cents.

As for Akinjo, I think the 2020 NBA draft shouldn’t be off the table. He has a lot of time to train now, maybe he does what Marjon Beauchamp did and starts training with Chameleon in SF.

Akinjo is a very good player and I think he’s leaving a messy team, before things get messier. Don’t be surprised to see him enter the 2020 draft in lieu of going back to school.
Jordan never coached in college. Relations to a 19 year old playing on scholarship and a pro playing for money is night and day.
Being an executive is not even close to coaching either. You have little if any hands on. Jordan hasnt been the greatest exec but his talent evaluation is more the problem. As well as not being able to attract anyone to small market charlotte. He also has been working in a time when Kobe and Lebron have ruled the landscape the last 15 years. Its been uphill for 26 other nba execs as well.

One of my closest friends is an alum and knows folks on the inside.....

He is hearing, again all hearsay, that Akinjo was not involved in any of the off court stuff and he sees the program heading for some tough times so decided to leave..

Again, all hearsay but from a reliable source

Reactions: ayalar09
He was potentially 4 months from really getting paid.

ESPN does not have him ranked in their top 100 prospects for the 2020 draft. He probably could make a great living playing overseas eventually.

I do not understand why he wouldn't play out the rest of the season if it was his decision. Unless he is granted a waiver he is going to have to sit out 2020/2021 too. The Georgetown press release makes it seem like it was not his decision.

ESPN does not have him ranked in their top 100 prospects for the 2020 draft. He probably could make a great living playing overseas eventually.

I do not understand why he wouldn't play out the rest of the season if it was his decision. Unless he is granted a waiver he is going to have to sit out 2020/2021 too. The Georgetown press release makes it seem like it was not his decision.

You dont have to play in the NBA to be a professional basketball player. Basketball is a global game. There are other leagues. Its not NBA money but money nonetheless.

he wont have to sit the whole season. he will be eligible in the beginning of the spring semester. that is why you leave during the fall semester.

Reactions: SmoothJay
I hope so. Bummer if it’s true but wouldn’t a kid like Mac leave as well?
Mac is a DMV kid. The people in the DMV or as obsessed with being from the DMV as the Bay people are of being from the Bay. He probably doesnt want to leave home. I guess he could go to Maryland or Virginia or VCU.

DMV? Mac is from WV right? Never heard that term. Or he might stay and be the man.

I don’t see Akinjo game at next level. (NBA) I like Jordan Ford much better as a small guard. Not saying Akinjo isn’t going to play pro somewhere but if I’m a betting man ford will land in the nba and stick.

Reactions: dcfan
DMV? Mac is from WV right? Never heard that term. Or he might stay and be the man.

I don’t see Akinjo game at next level. (NBA) I like Jordan Ford much better as a small guard. Not saying Akinjo isn’t going to play pro somewhere but if I’m a betting man ford will land in the nba and stick.
mac is from virginia. DMV=DC, Virginia, Maryland

I am pretty knowledgeable about the Georgetown basketball program. Here are a few things about James and what happened. Some fact, some opinion. . . .
First the facts:
1. James was not involved in any misconduct. The fact that Georgetown groups his transfer announcement with another player who was involved in allegations of misconduct was a very stupid move on their part and made James looked bad. He was not alleged to have done anything inappropriate off the court at any time in his Georgetown career. Nothing!!
2. All reports are that James is leaving because of on court issues. He and Patrick did not see eye to eye and he has decided to move elsewhere. I have seen nothing credible indicating he was forced out, other than the fact that Georgetown idiotically grouped his transfer with Josh's.
Now the opinion
3. James is not one of the best players in the Big East. He had a very good freshman year, but was struggling this year. I have watched most Hoyas games. His decision making was well below expectations for a sophomore point guard. He is shooting 34% from the field and below 25% from the 3 pt line. He turns the ball over too much. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the Big East, but was never that. He was one of the best freshmen in the league last year, if not the best, but this league keeps a lot of its players for 3-4 years and he was not one of the best players in the conference.
4. James is not ready to play in the NBA. He is not close. He must improve many parts of his game, most of all his decision making and shooting. He has the potential to play in the NBA but if he declares for the 2020 NBA draft with the intention of making an NBA squad by October 2020, he is going to be very disappointed and I am very positive about that. He needs more work on his game and that is going to take time.
5. I do not pretend to know everything that went on for him at Georgetown, but for him to reach his potential, he is going to have to be more susceptible to coaching than I believe he was at Georgetown. He must recognize that due to his size, and the speed and size of the players at Big Time D1 ball, he cannot do the things he did in high school and must let the game come to him more. He cannot try to finish everytime he gets close to the rim. He must trust his teammates more (if you remember this lack of trust was a big reason Salesian lost to Folsom in 2017). He also must develop a much better 3 point shot and mid range game. His defense is very good and is a strength. Coach Ewing coached Kemba Walker extensively in the NBA. He is not an idiot when it comes to coaching players, including point guards.
6. There have been rumors from Day 1 that him and McClung did not get along well. I have no idea if those are true.

I cant say if this is a good or bad decision for James. However, I do know that Ewing has many NBA connections and James seemed to get a lot of freedom at Georgetown to do what he wanted with the ball and Ewing seemed awfully patient. I personally would have benched him more than Ewing did during games in which James got out of control.

I hope it works out for James wherever he lands.

I am pretty knowledgeable about the Georgetown basketball program. Here are a few things about James and what happened. Some fact, some opinion. . . .
First the facts:
1. James was not involved in any misconduct. The fact that Georgetown groups his transfer announcement with another player who was involved in allegations of misconduct was a very stupid move on their part and made James looked bad. He was not alleged to have done anything inappropriate off the court at any time in his Georgetown career. Nothing!!
2. All reports are that James is leaving because of on court issues. He and Patrick did not see eye to eye and he has decided to move elsewhere. I have seen nothing credible indicating he was forced out, other than the fact that Georgetown idiotically grouped his transfer with Josh's.
Now the opinion
3. James is not one of the best players in the Big East. He had a very good freshman year, but was struggling this year. I have watched most Hoyas games. His decision making was well below expectations for a sophomore point guard. He is shooting 34% from the field and below 25% from the 3 pt line. He turns the ball over too much. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the Big East, but was never that. He was one of the best freshmen in the league last year, if not the best, but this league keeps a lot of its players for 3-4 years and he was not one of the best players in the conference.
4. James is not ready to play in the NBA. He is not close. He must improve many parts of his game, most of all his decision making and shooting. He has the potential to play in the NBA but if he declares for the 2020 NBA draft with the intention of making an NBA squad by October 2020, he is going to be very disappointed and I am very positive about that. He needs more work on his game and that is going to take time.
5. I do not pretend to know everything that went on for him at Georgetown, but for him to reach his potential, he is going to have to be more susceptible to coaching than I believe he was at Georgetown. He must recognize that due to his size, and the speed and size of the players at Big Time D1 ball, he cannot do the things he did in high school and must let the game come to him more. He cannot try to finish everytime he gets close to the rim. He must trust his teammates more (if you remember this lack of trust was a big reason Salesian lost to Folsom in 2017). He also must develop a much better 3 point shot and mid range game. His defense is very good and is a strength. Coach Ewing coached Kemba Walker extensively in the NBA. He is not an idiot when it comes to coaching players, including point guards.
6. There have been rumors from Day 1 that him and McClung did not get along well. I have no idea if those are true.

I cant say if this is a good or bad decision for James. However, I do know that Ewing has many NBA connections and James seemed to get a lot of freedom at Georgetown to do what he wanted with the ball and Ewing seemed awfully patient. I personally would have benched him more than Ewing did during games in which James got out of control.

I hope it works out for James wherever he lands.

Very well said. I would be furious if I were in his camp about the announcement and how he was grouped in. GTown needs to step up and clear his name. Totally agree with your breakdown on him as a player.

@laidbackcoach you say you know a lot about Georgetown but you never addressed the real reason he left . . It may or may not come out and I know the answer. Let’s just say Ewing is an idiot and should be fired if what happened is true. It was reported on twitter and at request of akinjo taken down . Due to the respect of the players wishes I’m not at liberty to expand any further but will say he is not at fault for leaving and Gonzaga will get a steal if they get him

@laidbackcoach you say you know a lot about Georgetown but you never addressed the real reason he left . . It may or may not come out and I know the answer. Let’s just say Ewing is an idiot and should be fired if what happened is true. It was reported on twitter and at request of akinjo taken down . Due to the respect of the players wishes I’m not at liberty to expand any further but will say he is not at fault for leaving and Gonzaga will get a steal if they get him
so you know the reason however that isnt confirmed either?

Reactions: bballpeep
Correct not confirmed that’s why I said IF IF IF Ewing did what is claimed he was wrong.

I know a lot more than you think HEAT and I know exactly what you are referring to. My understanding is James has come out and said that Ewing never said anything about that and that story was completely made up. Given that Ewing's mom passed away when he was relatively young and everything I know about the situation, I do not believe it ever happened.

I can't say that I know the exact reason James left Georgetown, but it clearly involved him not being happy, that much I am very confident about. Whether you can blame that on Ewing, Georgetown, James, or something else, probably depends on who you ask. However, what I do know is that James was never accused of any misconduct and the inferences drawn about that were in large part due to complete screw up by Georgetown in liking James transfer with Josh's transfer.

I wish James and Georgetown were able to work out their differences. If James stayed, played with more patience and developed certain parts of his game, he could have been one of the great point guards in Hoya history and a first team all big east player IMHO. I hope James succeeds wherever he ends up. He is a talented player with great potential.

I know a lot more than you think HEAT and I know exactly what you are referring to. My understanding is James has come out and said that Ewing never said anything about that and that story was completely made up. Given that Ewing's mom passed away when he was relatively young and everything I know about the situation, I do not believe it ever happened.

I can't say that I know the exact reason James left Georgetown, but it clearly involved him not being happy, that much I am very confident about. Whether you can blame that on Ewing, Georgetown, James, or something else, probably depends on who you ask. However, what I do know is that James was never accused of any misconduct and the inferences drawn about that were in large part due to complete screw up by Georgetown in liking James transfer with Josh's transfer.

I wish James and Georgetown were able to work out their differences. If James stayed, played with more patience and developed certain parts of his game, he could have been one of the great point guards in Hoya history and a first team all big east player IMHO. I hope James succeeds wherever he ends up. He is a talented player with great potential.
man.... allen iverson was phenomenal as a college player.. HOYA SAXA!

Akinjo is better then Ford. Excelled on a bigger stage. I do like both if them and i do believe transfer is a flag. We shall see how it plays out...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT