ADVERTISEMENT

James Akinjo

Akinjo had a better frosh year than Ford. Not even close. However, if you asked me which guard I would want for the rest of this season, I would take Ford hands down, without hesitation. I do not even think that can be debated.

Akinjo can be as good or better than Ford by the time his career is over. I believe that.

Akinjo had a better frosh year than Ford. Not even close. However, if you asked me which guard I would want for the rest of this season, I would take Ford hands down, without hesitation. I do not even think that can be debated.

Akinjo can be as good or better than Ford by the time his career is over. I believe that.

Ford was playing behind pros who were 22 years old from Australia when he was a frosh. You can’t compare those 2. St Mary’s has had much more success than Hoyas. I will take Ford all day. Scouts love his intelligence and character of Ford. Hes gotten better every year as well. Every decision Ford has made regarding hoops has been good starting with st Mary’s

Reactions: Jumper3 and damim
playing in the wcc versus the big east isnt even close.
ford isnt exactly playing versus the best point guards or defensive teams.
not saying he a bum but akinjo is playing better comp. character wise he also hasnt done anything wrong at all.

I know James wasnt involved but Georgetown has always had some guys who were rough around the edges, and prided themselves on making it work. Coach Thompson had some rough dudes back in the day!!. Remember Micheal Graham? I will never forget how he and Ewing abused Houston with Hakeem in the Natty game. James and Matt came in with a lot of hype last year, not many young kids can live up to it game after game.

I know James wasnt involved but Georgetown has always had some guys who were rough around the edges, and prided themselves on making it work. Coach Thompson had some rough dudes back in the day!!. Remember Micheal Graham? I will never forget how he and Ewing abused Houston with Hakeem in the Natty game. James and Matt came in with a lot of hype last year, not many young kids can live up to it game after game.

David wingate, Reggie Wiliams, Eric sleepy...
remember Ewing getting called for goal tending 2-3x a game just for intimidation. Hoya Paranoia.

Reactions: coachlittle
I am going to be frank, if you think that James Akinjo can step in and immediately help a college team today more than Jordan Ford can, I have a hard time respecting your ability to analyze basketball guard play. I am not sure that is what you are saying but it seems that way.
If instead, you r saying that you think James Akinjo will have a better overall career that Ford, I certainly believe that is possible, but to do so James will need to improve his decision making, his outside shot and a few other aspects of his game. I believe that is entirely possible, but only time will tell.
Finally, any attempt to denigrate Ford because he plays in the WCC is definitely not well taken. First of all, Gonzaga is as good as any team in the Big East in the last three years and Ford has excelled in games against Gonzaga, BYU and other very good programs (I wish SMC would have played a more difficult schedule). He is one of the top 50 guards in all of college basketball at the very minimum and has a decent chance to be the MVP of the WCC and a chance to be a second round NBA draft pick. He is an excellent college basketball player and finds ways to score even when defenses know that he is the primary option. Also as LL said, he has improved materially every year.

SMC won 28 games or so and didnt get in the tournament couple years ago. That same year the Big East sent 5. Your comment makes my argument better than you think. You stopped at Gonzaga and the tournament last year did the same.
WCC: 2 (Gonzaga, SAINT MARY’S)
The Big East sent more again.
Big East: 4 (Marquette, St. John’s, Seton Hall, VILLANOVA)
All three of the Big East teams were ranked and Creighton was 20-15 and got snubbed.
I never said Ford was not a player who has improved and is exactly what SMC thrives with. I am saying that The Big East is a far superior conference in basketball and Akinjo has played versus better guards, post and defenses than Ford has. While putting up numbers and winning accolades last season.
Take it how you want to.

I am going to be frank, if you think that James Akinjo can step in and immediately help a college team today more than Jordan Ford can, I have a hard time respecting your ability to analyze basketball guard play. I am not sure that is what you are saying but it seems that way.
If instead, you r saying that you think James Akinjo will have a better overall career that Ford, I certainly believe that is possible, but to do so James will need to improve his decision making, his outside shot and a few other aspects of his game. I believe that is entirely possible, but only time will tell.
Finally, any attempt to denigrate Ford because he plays in the WCC is definitely not well taken. First of all, Gonzaga is as good as any team in the Big East in the last three years and Ford has excelled in games against Gonzaga, BYU and other very good programs (I wish SMC would have played a more difficult schedule). He is one of the top 50 guards in all of college basketball at the very minimum and has a decent chance to be the MVP of the WCC and a chance to be a second round NBA draft pick. He is an excellent college basketball player and finds ways to score even when defenses know that he is the primary option. Also as LL said, he has improved materially every year.
Yesterday versus Dayton
Jalen Crutcher 21points 4 rebounds and 6 assist 3 turnovers
Jordan 11 points 0 rebounds 3 assist 2 turnovers
He is an accomplished player but he is probably not even close to sniffing the 2nd round. He doesnt play enough competition on a nightly basis.

Sure . . . pick out Jordan's worst game of the year to demonstrate his merit o_O I could say the same about James, if I just focused on his performance against a second rate Ga State squad a few weeks ago. Moreover, that is like me telling you to look at what Ford did v. No 15 USU and claiming he is a lock to be a first round draft choice. Cmon man.

I get your position. You do not think as highly of J Ford as I do, and you think more highly of J. Akinjo's current game than I do (I am not sure we differ on our opinion's about James' potential). You are entitled to your opinion. As indicated above, I wholeheartedly disagree that James is better right now than Jordan. You can keep trying to get me to change my mind, but I sure ain't gonna be swayed by your argument here.

The one thing I do know from watching that game in PHX is that Dayton has the potential to do some serious damages come March. Impressive performance.

Sure . . . pick out Jordan's worst game of the year to demonstrate his merit o_O I could say the same about James, if I just focused on his performance against a second rate Ga State squad a few weeks ago. Moreover, that is like me telling you to look at what Ford did v. No 15 USU and claiming he is a lock to be a first round draft choice. Cmon man.

I get your position. You do not think as highly of J Ford as I do, and you think more highly of J. Akinjo's current game than I do (I am not sure we differ on our opinion's about James' potential). You are entitled to your opinion. As indicated above, I wholeheartedly disagree that James is better right now than Jordan. You can keep trying to get me to change my mind, but I sure ain't gonna be swayed by your argument here.

The one thing I do know from watching that game in PHX is that Dayton has the potential to do some serious damages come March. Impressive performance.
actually my argument was that James has done it versus far superior competition in that one season. Not that either one is better than the other or that either will be 2nd round picks.

@larry legend33 Do you personally know NBA scouts? Who are you to make that comment? I’ve talked to several scouts and GMs about Akinjo and they like him. As a matter of fact he is on 2021 NBA mock. I believe both Ford and Akinjo has a chance of playing in the NBA. So do your research man and stop down talking people.

Last edited:
Anyone who says Jordan Ford is a better NBA prospect than James Akinjo, is either biased or needs to get their head checked.

Doesn’t mean Ford won’t have a better career than Akinjo, as a scoutable prospect Akinjo is far superior.

well he will be back at st marys taken over for jordan after he leaves for the league so we will find out

He was 10-14 from the field and 10-11 from the line against pac12 comp. give the kid some credit. That is hard to do in pickup baskeball yet alone a d1 school against players that were ranked higher.

Boeheim should worry about his own underachieving corrupt program, as opposed to judging a kid he’s probably never met before.

Oh and Akinjo shot those shots because the players around him were poor shooters. Old Patrick doesn’t realize that the Game has changed, and you can’t just rely on big men pounding the inside.

I stand by Akinjo. He left a Dumpster of a program.

Anyone who says Jordan Ford is a better NBA prospect than James Akinjo, is either biased or needs to get their head checked.

Doesn’t mean Ford won’t have a better career than Akinjo, as a scoutable prospect Akinjo is far superior.

Why don’t you explain in detail why he is far superior scoutable prospect than ford.

Boeheim should worry about his own underachieving corrupt program, as opposed to judging a kid he’s probably never met before.

Oh and Akinjo shot those shots because the players around him were poor shooters. Old Patrick doesn’t realize that the Game has changed, and you can’t just rely on big men pounding the inside.

Then can you explain how the Hoyas won 3 quality wins without him and those poor shooters made more threes and shot better from the field than any stretch with Akinjo?

I mean I agree Boeheim’s comments were a bit over the top, but it’s far from a dumpster of a program and he came off as a selfish quitter with the timing of it all and considering how much better the ball movement has been without him.

Best thing I could say is it’s a better move for both programs. Clearly gtown looks bettter without him and the others. One knock on Akinjo is the ball “sticks” to him. He has to dominate the ball. That is really frustrating to play alongside. The ball suck to Iverson but Akinjo is no AI.

Hope it works out. But I would take some of the comments as a way to self reflect.

Reactions: superle
We are talking about both these young men in Akinjo and Ford because they are both special talents when it comes to basketball. You can't go wrong with either young men, why compare?
In other News James Wiseman has just withdrawn from Memphis.

Reactions: frencheezy

Umm, No. That is a very poor take IMHO. The stats bear it out.

First, that dumpster of a program just beat OSU, SMU, Cuse and rolled UMBC after Akinjo and 3 other contributing players left and they were down to 7 guys. Masterful coaching job by Ewing the last three weeks.. The Hoyas are likely to finish around .500 in the Big East which is one of the deepest conferences in the country. They are not a dumpster program and have improved every year since Ewing started. They are not near the elite squad they once were, but "dumpster of a program" . . . that is clearly sour grapes.
Um . . . "Old Patrick doesn’t realize that the Game has changed, and you can’t just rely on big men pounding the inside" is probably an even more ridiculous take because if you watch any Gtown basketball you will see that is not the focus of Gtown's offense and has not been since Ewing got there. It was not the focus last year, in fact their 5 man Govan scored more points from the outside and FT line then he did inside.. It was not the focus of the offense when Akinjo was there the first month of the season and it is clearly not the focus now (Mac is). The Hoyas are not running a post oriented offense and they have not run chin since JTIII left. They look to run and look to score in a variety of ways. You obviously do not watch a lot of Gtown basketball based on this quote.
Third, Gtown does not have poor shooters. They are shooting over 37% from 3. Mac Shoots 40% Blair shoots 38%. Mosely shoots almost 50% Pickett shoots 47%. James was shooting less than 25%. If you took James' stats out of the mix the Hoyas shoot over 40% from 3 this year on 174 attempts. Who is actually the poor shooter?
James is talented and was a key player for Gtown over his tenure there. No question about that and those that throw him under the bus now I cannot agree with. However, he clearly did not move the ball as much as he should have and engaged in questionable and selfish decision making too often. It is something he will have to improve to be the best player he can be.
I agree with you about Boeheim Do not understand why he made those comments. Very unprofessional.
I understand that you support James and I really like him too and hope he succeeds wherever he ends up, but let's not grossly distort the facts to prove a point.

Reactions: Jaw Knee and dcfan

First, that dumpster of a program just beat OSU, SMU, Cuse and rolled UMBC after Akinjo and 3 other contributing players left and they were down to 7 guys. Masterful coaching job by Ewing the last three weeks.. The Hoyas are likely to finish around .500 in the Big East which is one of the deepest conferences in the country. They are not a dumpster program and have improved every year since Ewing started. They are not near the elite squad they once were, but "dumpster of a program" . . . that is clearly sour grapes.
Um . . . "Old Patrick doesn’t realize that the Game has changed, and you can’t just rely on big men pounding the inside" is probably an even more ridiculous take because if you watch any Gtown basketball you will see that is not the focus of Gtown's offense and has not been since Ewing got there. It was not the focus last year, in fact their 5 man Govan scored more points from the outside and FT line then he did inside.. It was not the focus of the offense when Akinjo was there the first month of the season and it is clearly not the focus now (Mac is). The Hoyas are not running a post oriented offense and they have not run chin since JTIII left. They look to run and look to score in a variety of ways. You obviously do not watch a lot of Gtown basketball based on this quote.
Third, Gtown does not have poor shooters. They are shooting over 37% from 3. Mac Shoots 40% Blair shoots 38%. Mosely shoots almost 50% Pickett shoots 47%. James was shooting less than 25%. If you took James' stats out of the mix the Hoyas shoot over 40% from 3 this year on 174 attempts. Who is actually the poor shooter?
James is talented and was a key player for Gtown over his tenure there. No question about that and those that throw him under the bus now I cannot agree with. However, he clearly did not move the ball as much as he should have and engaged in questionable and selfish decision making too often. It is something he will have to improve to be the best player he can be.
I agree with you about Boeheim Do not understand why he made those comments. Very unprofessional.
I understand that you support James and I really like him too and hope he succeeds wherever he ends up, but let's not grossly distort the facts to prove a point.

Laidback is there a more than like option for this post?

I’m not old enough to remember their one championship. But for a program of their “prestige” why haven’t they made the NCAA tournament in 4 years?

The dumpster fire I refer to is the current regime there. Not the previous ones.

Have they played better since my last post? Yes. But when Big East play starts, I think their lack of depth will expose them and prevent them from making the NCAA tournament this year.

Ayalar, I am done debating Gtown basketball with you, particularly on a Nor Cal hoops site where hardly anyone cares that deeply.

You may a lot about a lot of things, but you clearly know very little about Gtown hoops. The program, despite the recent off the court problems is probably in as good a position (currently #30 in the NCAA Net Rankings) as they have been in 5-6 years. The current so called "dumpster regime" is actually the one in the process of resurrecting the program and if you knew anything about Gtown you would know that when Patrick and Coach Orr took over the program almost three years ago, they were in a way worse position as a result of that previous regime, that you said above was not the problem. The reason they have not made the tournament the past few years rests way more with JTIII then it does with Patrick Ewing. That is for darn certain.

Whether they are able to make the NCAA tournament remains to be seen, particularly with losing James, Josh, Galen and Myron, and having to play the Big East physical style with a 7 man rotation. Nevertheless, though, your takes on Gtown are clearly both uninformed/ignorant and based on emotions you feel as a result of the way James' tenure went there.

No point in us continuing this discussion. FYI, I always respected James and still do. I have coached against him and scouted him. He plays with as much passion and effort as anyone. He is very talented, plays without fear, and I know he never had it easy. He made a choice to find another program and he has a right to do that. I also think that the way Gtown handled his transfer was bush league and totally unfair to him. I wish him the best, especially if he ends up at St. Mary's, because I root for Coach Bennett, Coach Schroeder and the Gaels as well.

Merry Christmas!!

he compared some kid at riordan to james wiseman a few weeks ago.. that there should have shown you his ability to talk basketball outside of stuart hall

Reactions: BadBucks
I’m not old enough to remember their one championship. But for a program of their “prestige” why haven’t they made the NCAA tournament in 4 years?

The dumpster fire I refer to is the current regime there. Not the previous ones.

Have they played better since my last post? Yes. But when Big East play starts, I think their lack of depth will expose them and prevent them from making the NCAA tournament this year.
prestige only gets you so far.. The most prestigous of them them all UCLA isnt all that great either. You still gotta win on the court. Plus 4 years isnt all that long of a drought in the ncaa's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT