ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Negro, Patrick Walsh talk about current Open Division structure

This is all good stuff. Few feel sorry for any of the private/parochials no matter the circumstances. They all enroll student-athletes regardless of address to one extent or another. Still, California does have an odd situation with the current ultra-domination of Mater Dei and St. John Bosco. But, as was noted, nothing lasts forever. At some point down the line, another private/parochial school (or two or three) will determine that enough is enough and proceed along the same MD/SJB path. And, who knows, perhaps one or both of the two SoCal behemoths will begin to decline a bit. It won't happen next week. But anyone paying attention knows that the Southern Section final between MD and SJB was the real Open Division decider.

Reactions: THEOC89
Interesting thoughts from both head coach

Jason Negro is a Used Car Salesman and a Total Jackass….

DLS was never an Unbeatable Team with 5 Times more Talent than every team they played…. They had plenty of close calls in their Streak including 2 against MD and it didn’t take a superteam with 30+ D1 players to play a competitive game against DLS….

DLS was great because they out coached, out executed and out worked the best teams they played…. They did not simply “Out Talent” Them….

SJB just decided that they would out talent everyone and that is what they have done…. They don’t coach kids up they just dump them and poach kids from other schools bringing in a revolving door of transfers every year…..

The Irony about him is he is the one who pushed for the rule that CA teams can’t play IMG…. He was all butt hurt that a couple of his players transferred there back in like 2016 or 17…. Pretty funny since he is the one now poaching players from all over So Cal…. 🤣

Reactions: NCS707
Jason Negro is a Used Car Salesman and a Total Jackass….

DLS was never an Unbeatable Team with 5 Times more Talent than every team they played…. They had plenty of close calls in their Streak including 2 against MD and it didn’t take a superteam with 30+ D1 players to play a competitive game against DLS….

DLS was great because they out coached, out executed and out worked the best teams they played…. They did not simply “Out Talent” Them….

SJB just decided that they would out talent everyone and that is what they have done…. They don’t coach kids up they just dump them and poach kids from other schools bringing in a revolving door of transfers every year…..

The Irony about him is he is the one who pushed for the rule that CA teams can’t play IMG…. He was all butt hurt that a couple of his players transferred there back in like 2016 or 17…. Pretty funny since he is the one now poaching players from all over So Cal…. 🤣
The Spartans did not "out talent" anyone......Aside from the 14 NFL football players that they count as alums (only 3 less than Mater Dei). Nothing but scrappy, diligent, and over achieving student-athletes in Concord.

Sadly, I’ve sort of checked out of the open bowl game. I didn’t even care I missed it last night. And in all honesty, under the current structure my attention span and desire to watch a lot of these games ends after the section and norcal champ which seem to be really good in most cases. To me the OR/Folsom and DLS/Folsom game were just great HS games played at a level that is still in line with Hs football.

The Spartans did not "out talent" anyone......Aside from the 14 NFL football players that they count as alums (only 3 less than Mater Dei). Nothing but scrappy, diligent, and over achieving student-athletes in Concord.
So what you’re saying it was a more level playing field that made for better competitive games ? Got it

There are only 2 DLS Teams During “The Streak” Years that could compete against SJB or MD….. 1999 and 2001…. Every other DLS team would lose by a minimum of 2 TD’s to these current teams with 20-30 D1 players…..

And I said “The Best” Teams they faced…. MD was the prohibitive favorite in 1998 as was LBP in 2001 who was #1 in the country…. MD was almost able to beat DLS Twice losing 28-21 and 31-28….

Between 1992 and 2004, other than the years stated above, My guess is that there was at least 5-10 teams in CA that could beat DLS…. That cannot be said for SJB and MD in the current era….

So Comparing the DLS’s “Streak” teams to what he is doing at SJB is Disingenuous…. DLS never took transfers in the name of winning FB Games and built their program on Coaching up the kids who came there for 3-4 years….

And the fact that 14 of them made it to the NFL is just a Testament to the program and what they learned there….

Love me some Patrick Walsh......but this is sour grapes. How many kids do they have living with host families that were recruited to Serra? One would be surprised if they looked into this. Their D1 bound QB lives over 100 miles away from his family in Sacramento with a host family.

How do you know this? Do you know the family? I’ve never heard of Serra players ever having host families.

How do you know this? Do you know the family? I’ve never heard of Serra players ever having host families.
Yes I do and there are multiple situations going on like this with Serra. They recruit all of Norcal. You don't think all of a sudden a influx of talent showed up in San Mateo, do you? They have between 10-15 D1 kids on their current roster. Do the research and you may be quite shocked.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
This fruit analogy is intriguing. Its more like SJB & MD are watermelons, definitely the seedless kind because they dont grow anything organic. Serra, DLS & Folsom are definitely apples, probably the gala ones. St. Francis, Pittsburg are plums. Everyone else in NoCal are just blueberries.

This fruit analogy is intriguing. Its more like SJB & MD are watermelons, definitely the seedless kind because they dont grow anything organic. Serra, DLS & Folsom are definitely apples, probably the gala ones. St. Francis, Pittsburg are plums. Everyone else in NoCal are just blueberries.
I would move Serra up into the watermelon catagory. Maybe with seeds :)

Their recruiting efforts and reach far exceed DLS and Folsom. DLS' offensive system is the largest thing hurting their efforts.

Yes I do and there are multiple situations going on like this with Serra. They recruit all of Norcal. You don't think all of a sudden a influx of talent showed up in San Mateo, do you? They have between 10-15 D1 kids on their current roster. Do the research and you may be quite shocked.

I do not believe that you are telling the truth.

I honestly don’t know if you could put together an all star team in norcal that would beat MD or SJB. Maybe in one of those outlier years they could make it a game, but southern calif is bigger than most states and many countries. Certainly we have kids up here that would (and have) started for them but it’s more a rarity. Just a different beast all together.

I do not believe that you are telling the truth.
That's fine. Do the research and then come back on here and tell me what you find out. This situation is pretty well known. His younger sister who also was a football stud in her own right attends Antelope near their home. She's on the basketball roster. Check Maxpreps :)

My son played Pop Warner with them in Sac.

That's fine. Do the research and then come back on here and tell me what you find out. This situation is pretty well known. His younger sister who also was a football stud in her own right attends Antelope near their home. She's on the basketball roster. Check Maxpreps :)

I have no idea who you are. You just showed up.

Reactions: dcpanda
ColHenry. Is this true. Does Serra host kids for their program with local families?
Honestly, no idea on that one. CCS is pretty diligent when it comes to fake addresses and such. Plus, the CCS authorities have little love for the Padres after Walsh pulled his team out of that odd CCS consolation tourney some years back. Interestingly, Serra does not provide any personal information on its football players. There is no bio information. There is no game or season program. Nothing. Other WCAL schools do one or both. So, on the whole, we have no verified idea where Padre players are coming from. But there seems little doubt that they are a regional, not a strictly local, operation.

Reactions: Defense_Rules

I’m not going to research kids’ addresses.

Honestly, no idea on that one. CCS is pretty diligent when it comes to fake addresses and such. Plus, the CCS authorities have little love for the Padres after Walsh pulled his team out of that odd CCS consolation tourney some years back. Interestingly, Serra does not provide any personal information on its football players. There is no bio information. There is no game or season program. Nothing. Other WCAL schools do one or both. So, on the whole, we have no verified idea where Padre players are coming from. But there seems little doubt that they are a regional, not a strictly local, operation.

They had a really nice hard copy program in 2019. I think I still have a copy. I don’t know that any school would provide residence information for minors, though, and I don’t think they should.

Last edited:
I love what MD and SJB are doing! They are setting a standard that many families are benefiting from; providing a great education, incredible coaching, and amazing platform for athletes within the Southern California area.

DLS, Serra, Jesuit and others can all do the same thing. And let’s keep it real, they’ve all done it at some time or another. Jesuit and St. Joe's in basketball; DLS and Serra in Football. These programs have all have administrations that at some point placed a very high emphasis on its sports. Serra is now drawing kids from as far as Sacramento, which is almost 3 hours away

These parachoial schools have all done it at some point. Many of the administrations, just choose not to do it. Because doing so means that the demographics of their school change. As you can see, SJB and MDeams resemble 1990 Grant Pacers/Long Beach Poly; except with phenomenal coaching. That is a big cultural shift for those schools and the families themselves. But the marriage has worked out fine for both SJB and MD. It looks like Mater Dei Catholic has joined in on the cultural shift too, down in the San Diego area.

Sacramento and the Bay area can both field similar teams. I'd argue that a Sacramento team would be even better than MD and SJB.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
I honestly don’t know if you could put together an all star team in norcal that would beat MD or SJB. Maybe in one of those outlier years they could make it a game, but southern calif is bigger than most states and many countries. Certainly we have kids up here that would (and have) started for them but it’s more a rarity. Just a different beast all together.
I could put together a team that would compete with MD and SJB, from kids right here in the Sacramento region. The region has great lineman and skill position players. We would wear those LA teams out! They would look at kids that looked just like them but are 100X more hungry!

And to be honesy, if cities like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Philly, Memphis, East Bay decided to join the party; they would destroy MD and SJB.

Also note that neither the WCAL MVP nor the highest-rated recruit on the Peninsula attends Serra, and a kid from San Bruno left the area to go to Mater Dei. Maybe they aren’t that good at recruiting after all.

Last edited:
Serra’s QB Smith is from Sacramento, he started as a freshman at Antelope or Inderkum one of the 2. He stays in San Mateo during the week with a teammate and goes home to Sacramento on the weekends.

• Love
Reactions: RedZone90
I could put together a team that would compete with MD and SJB, from kids right here in the Sacramento region. The region has great lineman and skill position players. We would wear those LA teams out! They would look at kids that looked just like them but are 100X more hungry!

And to be honesy, if cities like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Atlanta, Cincinatti, Cleveland, Philly, Memphis, East Bay decided to join the party; they would destroy MD and SJB.
People say a lot when they can’t prove it lol

Reactions: RedZone90
Also note that neither the WCAL MVP nor the highest-rated recruit on the Peninsula attends Serra, and a kid from San Bruno left the area to go to Mater Dei. Maybe they aren’t that good at recruiting after all.
And the two highest rated players in California don’t play at MD or SJB even though they do play in the SS

Love me some Patrick Walsh......but this is sour grapes. How many kids do they have living with host families that were recruited to Serra? One would be surprised if they looked into this. Their D1 bound QB lives over 100 miles away from his family in Sacramento with a host family.
Exactly

And the two highest rated players in California don’t play at MD or SJB even though they do play in the SS
Hmmmm 32 of the top 170 California players in 2023 and 24 reside in 2 schools, how does that happen?

People say a lot when they can’t prove it lol
I’ve seen it done and have relatives that played at MD and SJB. It’s quite simple! It’s called being connected to the city, knowing the families, and the landscape.

That’s all MD and SJB have done. They both connected with the local pop warner community and football trainers throughout LA county…

Sacramento would be easier, because only one private school in the region plays Division 1 football.

Reactions: ararar
Interesting thoughts from both head coach

Walsh will work to get anything changed that he feels is unfair to Serra. Remember NOT SHOWING UP for a game with Milpitas. Or anytime he played a WCAL team in playoffs he complained about playing them in the first round. Doesn't seem to care he's rolling through the D1 CCS playoffs or the declining quality of football because private schools grab all the area talent just like Mater Dei and Bosco. You cannot complain (AND IT IS SOUR GRAPES) if you are doing the same thing up here. Next level and him on the sidelines at POP warner is a huge RECRUITING ADVANTAGE. I won't entertain the counter argument that people want a better education. Plenty of great public schools on the peninsula...

sounds like the northerners are making excuses about not wanting to get better.

and again and again... where was this energy when all them athletes from pittsburg, antioch, oakland, richmond and berkeley showed up in west concord.

I want to revise my fruit comparison. Serra is not an apple. They are more like papaya or pineapple.

This doesnt stop at just football. Hoops as well with what we've seen at Sierra Canyon which has become the NBA children high school of choice and get any other top kid from around the country to come and live in Chatsworth.

and again and again... where was this energy when all them athletes from pittsburg, antioch, oakland, richmond and berkeley showed up in west concord.
Is it just “northerners “ because there is 49 states and 320 million people so across those states that can’t stack a team like that, more props to MD and SJB for getting it done with mercenaries they do something no one else can…….I think it be dope af to see a 8 team or 12 team Mercenary League around the country where they battle it out like Prolific Preps do in hoops, those would be some high level monster matchups around the country week in and week out cut out the running clock games for the most part

It's a question of degree. There were NEVER 20-25 D1 prospects at DLS at any time. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find any given year with half that number. Whether they were from Pittsburg, Antioch,Oakland, Berkeley or Richmond. Interesting that the two 5 star RBs in the HWY 4 corridor ( prime DLS talent area) didn't play for DLS. If DLS were recruiting at a high level those two certainly would have been Spartans. As I said, it's a matter of degree. DLS has never been anywhere near the SJB and MD recruiting model. Trying to include them to that degree is grossly inaccurate.

Reactions: NCS707 and THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT