ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Negro, Patrick Walsh talk about current Open Division structure

If Serra is that worried about not getting to win a state title game than they need to do a better job at losing games along the way so they won't be considered. Run from the competition like others in the CCS who do whatever they can to avoid being placed in the Open Division. Spark up some old regional rivalries with San Mateo High School and Aragon that will plummet their Calpreps ranking. And if that is not the answer than roll up your sleeves and get to work. Fact of life not everything is fair

Reactions: THEOC89
Don't want to split hairs, however, I actually watched the Jserra Bosco game, my nephew attends that school. While it was 17 to 0 at the half, it was a fairly competitive game. Again, 35 to 0 at the half is game over. SJB completely took their foot off the gas in that 2nd half out of respect. 60 would have been easy if they wanted.

Fair points on DLS.
JSerra Lost 31-0 and had maybe 100 yards In total offense so I am not sure I would call that “Competitive”…. Also, JSerra got SJB the week after SJB played MD so SJB may have been a little down for that game….

But to your point, that was the closest game SJB played other then Kahuku and MD…..

Y
I'm trying to understand if you know what the term "eight figures" means, or if you honestly think Serra's fb annual football budget is $10M (or more)??

Can I please get some of the stuff you are smoking? Because it must be good.
@LecheDeMiPalo
Yah that is number youre throwing out there is WILD!!!!! $10M is saying they are a business. Who's funding that? Brady? Bakhtiari? Are all these kids on the TB12 method?

• Haha
Reactions: LecheDeMiPalo
Y

@LecheDeMiPalo
Yah that is number youre throwing out there is WILD!!!!! $10M is saying they are a business. Who's funding that? Brady? Bakhtiari? Are all these kids on the TB12 method?
There is just no way that Serra’s Budget is that big…. MD and SJB are nowhere close to that and Neither is SFA who travels all over the country to play their games….

I saw on one of the national boards that SFA’s total budget for FB isn’t even close to $1.0 million…..

My guess is that with Coaches Salaries, Trainers, etc that Serra is maybe $500k…. They don’t travel anywhere out of the Bay Area so where would all these expenses come from unless you are writing checks to the players and families…. 🤣

Last edited:
There is just no way that Serra’s Budget is that big…. MD and SJB are nowhere close to that and Neither is SFA who travels all over the country to play their games….

I saw on one of the national boards that SFA’s total budget for FB isn’t even close to $1.0 million…..

My guess is that with Coaches Salaries, Trainers, etc that Serra is maybe $500k…. They don’t travel anywhere out of the Bay Area so where would all these expenses come from unless you are writing checks to the plates and families…. 🤣
I would bet that Serra's football budget is in line with other archdiocese schools (Riordan and Marin Catholic). That's not to say there is not an influx of cash to the program. They have benefactors who have sprung for chartered planes for the last two state title games, I'm sure those guys don't just pop up at the end of the season. Also sure that UnderArmour takes care of them - first because of TB and now increased because of ESPN win over DLS and back to back state open title games. Also could be some NextLevel $$$ as well.

Let's be real, SJB was better at almost every position. How does one overcome that......they don't! I don't believe Serra even had a D2 lineman while SJB had 3-5 stars everywhere on defense. You are not going to see Montana putting up a fight against Georgia or Ohio State regardless of coaching. Some of these posts just show the ignorance about the two teams' level of play period!

Let's be real, SJB was better at almost every position. How does one overcome that......they don't! I don't believe Serra even had a D2 lineman while SJB had 3-5 stars everywhere on defense. You are not going to see Montana putting up a fight against Georgia or Ohio State regardless of coaching. Some of these posts just show the ignorance about the two teams' level of play period!

So you are saying Serra has no talent? This is what the Serra Athletic Director/OC is saying all over twitter. What happened to all those D1 commits that ran threw NorCal?

Good coaches operate with accountability, bad coaches use excuses. Serra got our recruited, out coached, and for some reason Serra folks can't take that.

DLS Played SJB in 2019 with a similar team to what Serra Has and was in the game at 35-28 before a goal line fumble did them in…. Even-though they were completely overmatched going into the game, DLS had no doubt in their minds that they could beat SJB….

Why?..,. Because DLS lost a hard fought game to National Power STA 24-14 earlier in the year…. They were ready for “National Level Play”…..

Serra is not prepared for this level of a game… If they really want to play competitively against these teams they have to schedule a National level power each year so they are not in shock and awe when they get to the open….

I would even say that Serra, Folsom, ST Mary’s should all even consider scheduling SJB or MD next year…. If you think you want to play in the open, you might as well prepare yourself for what you will face….

Agreed ...but qualifying for the State Open wasn't exactly a rewriting/revision of Custer and his 7th Calvary riding over a ridge to surprise a small encampment of hostiles and that sound we've been hearing from SoCal the last several years and this year as well was the MD-SJB athletic chain saw juggling contest.

Should've been no surprise. If you're going to swim with the sharks don't smell like chum.

DLS Played SJB in 2019 with a similar team to what Serra Has and was in the game at 35-28 before a goal line fumble did them in…. Even-though they were completely overmatched going into the game, DLS had no doubt in their minds that they could beat SJB….

Why?..,. Because DLS lost a hard fought game to National Power STA 24-14 earlier in the year…. They were ready for “National Level Play”…..

Serra is not prepared for this level of a game… If they really want to play competitively against these teams they have to schedule a National level power each year so they are not in shock and awe when they get to the open….

I would even say that Serra, Folsom, ST Mary’s should all even consider scheduling SJB or MD next year…. If you think you want to play in the open, you might as well prepare yourself for what you will face….
This right here.It’s also why the better kids flock to MD and SJB they know they will play a national schedule.
Now playing a national schedule won’t make you beat a better team but it will eliminate the shock of playing such a team for the first time in a championship game.
It’s not like they would even have to take on the STA of the football world either.There are high level teams in Arizona,Oregon and Washington

Not trying to play devils advocate, but Folsom and Serra both played DLS. That’s similar to playing a national level team. Not many schools in Arizona, Oregon or Washington can beat DLS. Maybe 1 or 2

Fact is, SJB and MD are just flat out that much better, period. They have masterminded how to work the system.

As for loopholes in the whole transfer situation, schools will use anything to get an edge. A certain Modesto school went as low as having kids state the reason for the transfer was homelessness. With us living in the COVID era, the CIF is not allowed to punish a kid for being homeless, so it slips thru the cracks.

As a father/coach of a young son about to start high school in 2 years I see the attention given at the youth level. I’m kinda with Thunder, if you’re good, the cream always rises to the top regardless of which school you go to. Self advocating by going to camps, sending tape and self promotion is the only way to go. Too many players and not enough recruiters for everyone to be seen. Passing for 2,000 or 3,000 yards and 30td’s ain’t enough these days, my advice is get out and get seen!

I agree with getting exposure through camps. Thunder’s perspective is certainly an option and I enjoy his takes and dialogue. I’m not sure how much access or communication that he has with families currently going through the process but over the years, I’ve heard some amazing stories of kids transferring schools and the floodgates opening up for them!

In this football climate, the school that you attend can make a big difference for some kids. Patterson and Yuba City have linebackers that could definitely play at the next level. Both of those young men should have 20-30 college offers, right now.

If the Patterson kid attended DLS or the Yuba City kid attended Grant, they would be nationally ranked recruits and on everyone’s radar. Especially the young man from Patterson.

Reactions: pantera-cat
@BigMann08

Totally agree with everything you stated. I was referring to the kids that don’t go to these D1 regionally known schools. If they don’t go out and compete at some outside camp or combine they’ll have to go to JC to get recognized. Look at Bowers from Napa. They were an average team that never went deep in the playoffs and mainly played local competition. He tore it up at camps and as a freshman was arguably the best TE in the country.

Reactions: BigMann08
Not trying to play devils advocate, but Folsom and Serra both played DLS. That’s similar to playing a national level team. Not many schools in Arizona, Oregon or Washington can beat DLS. Maybe 1 or 2

Fact is, SJB and MD are just flat out that much better, period. They have masterminded how to work the system.
This Version of DLS is Not a National Level Team, they are nowhere near the Level of a Top 10 National Team anymore…..

Playing Nor Cal teams won’t cut it, you need to face teams that have 10 or more D1 players especially on the lines, to have any concept of what it’s like to play MD and SJB….

Even in 2018 when DLS played Folsoms Best Team ever with all those D1 players, DLS still Scheduled and Beat Bishop Gorman….. DLS lost in the Open 35-21 without their best player and was only down 28-21 at 1 point…. Again the confidence DLS got by Beating BG had DLS believing they could win the open and they were not overwhelmed by MD, even missing DLS’s best player….

Top Nor Cal teams just have to follow DLS’s Scheduling Model and step up Their Scheduling if anyone ever wants to play another Competitive game in The Open….

Last edited:
I agree with getting exposure through camps. Thunder’s perspective is certainly an option and I enjoy his takes and dialogue. I’m not sure how much access or communication that he has with families currently going through the process but over the years, I’ve heard some amazing stories of kids transferring schools and the floodgates opening up for them!

In this football climate, the school that you attend can make a big difference for some kids. Patterson and Yuba City have linebackers that could definitely play at the next level. Both of those young men should have 20-30 college offers, right now.

If the Patterson kid attended DLS or the Yuba City kid attended Grant, they would be nationally ranked recruits and on everyone’s radar. Especially the young man from Patterson.
The YC Linebacker is very good, but at best MWC type of guy. 20-30 offers who not happen wherever he played. He is a 4.5 student, so Davis is a great fit. There is nobody on Patterson that is a power 5 LB. Blake Nichelson is a different animal and fits that mold.

Did Mater Dei name Rollinson's successor? If Walsh can't stomach these blowouts then perhaps he should opt for the MD opening.

• Haha
Shoot, Im still trying to get Aaron Espero (probably the best player in Inderkum history) a scholarship. He has done everything any 1 person can do on a field. The Yuba guy had an older brother if I'm not mistaken and was good too not sure he is D1 (who cares about my opinion tho). Truth be told our opinions mean very little on recruits. Shoot, we laughed at recruiters when they said they didn't want skattebo out of HS (someone lost a job bc of it), now they all like a Mike Jones song when it comes to Skat. Recruiters want length, size and speed, being a good football player is not most of their priority (sad).

The YC Linebacker is very good, but at best MWC type of guy. 20-30 offers who not happen wherever he played. He is a 4.5 student, so Davis is a great fit. There is nobody on Patterson that is a power 5 LB. Blake Nichelson is a different animal and fits that mold.

There’s hundreds of schools out there. Both of these young men, if at better programs, would be getting a whole lot more exposure and offers. Especially since schools like DLS and Grant are known for their defensive recruits… These young men would have been defensive standouts…

The YC kid can play! He’d be a much bigger recruit at a bigger school. Especially with a 4.5 gpa

He’s went mostly unnoticed. With schools like Grant and DLS, you get recruited nationally. Not just locally.

#24 from Patterson was better to me….

Have you seen him play?

Shoot, Im still trying to get Aaron Espero (probably the best player in Inderkum history) a scholarship. He has done everything any 1 person can do on a field. The Yuba guy had an older brother if I'm not mistaken and was good too not sure he is D1 (who cares about my opinion tho). Truth be told our opinions mean very little on recruits. Shoot, we laughed at recruiters when they said they didn't want skattebo out of HS (someone lost a job bc of it), now they all like a Mike Jones song when it comes to Skat. Recruiters want length, size and speed, being a good football player is not most of their priority (sad).
Coach, are you saying that he was better than Larry Hardy? (RIP)

Hardy was special!

Reactions: mistark
Man. Different. Larry wasn't a qualifier so I'm in a gray area lol. Larry was so damn good! I'm literally tingling up just cuz u brought him up. We didn't have to make a case for Larry, everyone wanted him. Espero was like Skateboo, nobody offered the 2 best players in the section that yr (imo of course). Now I'm going to watch Pooter highlights, damn I miss him.

Man. Different. Larry wasn't a qualifier so I'm in a gray area lol. Larry was so damn good! I'm literally tingling up just cuz u brought him up. We didn't have to make a case for Larry, everyone wanted him. Espero was like Skateboo, nobody offered the 2 best players in the section that yr (imo of course). Now I'm going to watch Pooter highlights, damn I miss him.
Man that young man was special! I still go back and watch his highlights from time to time.

Coach I still don’t think the region realized how good he was! I know North Sacramento knew, but the rest of the region doesn’t truly realize how talented he was.

IMO, he was the best athlete that I saw since Shaq Thompson….At least in these parts…

He was something else. You always felt great with Pooter on your side. He was one of the most unique individuals I ever coached. He was a true cowboy and walked to the beat of his on drum. He was the most feared player we ever had. U should hear the story about him and the stud RB from Rio Linda/Utah. What he said to him and a team you don't speak that way too was amazing. Only one Pooter!

What about the others I mentioned, the privates? Poly had a good season it they aren't what they used to be consistently. Centennial has been good for years .
SJB had been a sleeping giant for years prior to 2013. SJB under Kiki Mendoza would regularly get top freshman classes, only to see the guys transfer out, resulting in mediocre Varsity teams. This all changed in 2013 when the Lakewood coach quit and all their top players transferred to neighboring SJB. Then Long Beach Unified changed the open enrollment policy withing the district which stopped all the football guys in a 500,000 population from going to Poly. When Poly nosedived, the football guys chose neighboring SJB. SJB benefits from location, location, location.

SJB had been a sleeping giant for years prior to 2013. SJB under Kiki Mendoza would regularly get top freshman classes, only to see the guys transfer out, resulting in mediocre Varsity teams. This all changed in 2013 when the Lakewood coach quit and all their top players transferred to neighboring SJB. Then Long Beach Unified changed the open enrollment policy withing the district which stopped all the football guys in a 500,000 population from going to Poly. When Poly nosedived, the football guys chose neighboring SJB. SJB benefits from location, location, location.
Ok, that's interesting. Thanks for that info

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT