ADVERTISEMENT

"Johnny Be Good"

oalfan

Superstar
Sep 11, 2013
Does anyone remember that 1988 movie with then living by the day Robert Downey Jr?
if you haven't seen it, watch it as it satirizes how colleges use to gift give to high school athletes.
it seems like another world a long long time ago.
what shit for brains group of numnuts got together and came up with the idea that you can't buy an athlete a free lunch or a free trip to visit the school? WHO CARES if school A wants to give some kid who most likely has nothing a $10,000 grant or new car? - Even if the kid comes from money - who cares if they buy him diamond ring!
Today that school can barely legally buy you lunch.
This rule has made monsters out of high school kids trying to get a degree and play a sport. - Why shouldn't they be eligible to reap something when the machine around them makes a billion dollars?
Capitalism - huh?

Does anyone remember that 1988 movie with then living by the day Robert Downey Jr?
if you haven't seen it, watch it as it satirizes how colleges use to gift give to high school athletes.
what shit for brains group of numnuts got together and came up with the idea that you can't buy an athlete a free lunch or a free trip to visit the school? WHO CARES if school A wants to give some kid who most likely has nothing a $10,000 grant or new car? - Even if the kid comes from money - who cares if they buy him diamond ring!
This rule has made monsters out of high school kids trying to get a degree and play a sport. - Why shouldn't they be eligible to reap something when the machine around them makes a billion dollars?
Capitalism - huh?

"Coach I think I broke my d" "Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game"

I don't think it was legal then it was just a satirical portrayal of the recruiting process. But yeah, growing up we watched that movie almost weekly. My boy who owned the movie actually fishes for walleyes.

I agree that the current system is far from perfect. Someone called a sports talk radio show and suggested getting the players some sort of long term health insurance plan that made sense. I don't know how or how much athletes should be compensated but there are billions of dollars being made off of their labor.

Last edited:
Reactions: oalfan
Capitalism - huh?
That movie was awful
Worst football movie ever!!!! At least a young Uma Thurman looks hot in it!

That movie was awful

Worst football movie ever!!!! At least a young Uma Thurman looks hot in it!

Hardly the worst football movie. Georgia was nice in the movie also. lol I didn't notice it was her until Kill Bill came out.

Hardly the worst football movie. Georgia was nice in the movie also. lol I didn't notice it was her until Kill Bill came out.
This brings up a great question.... What is the worst football movie ever? Curious to see what you guys think.

This brings up a great question.... What is the worst football movie ever? Curious to see what you guys think.

As much as I loved the original Longest Yard, never cared much for the remake with Adam Sandler. Have strong opinions regarding best football movies.

If anyone knows this movie, i'll be impressed - it could be the worse or one of the best - "Number One" with chuck heston 1969

If anyone knows this movie, i'll be impressed - it could be the worse or one of the best - "Number One" with chuck heston 1969

Had to look it up and never seen it. Will give it a look. I did read a quote by Heston saying it was the worst movie he ever made.

I agree with Bubba. The original Longest Yard is better than the remake IMO.

D3 footballs finest by Marshall Cook of Santa Rosa is pretty bad. It's one of those movies that's so bad its actually good.

As much as I loved the original Longest Yard, never cared much for the remake with Adam Sandler. Have strong opinions regarding best football movies.
The only redeeming quality in the remake is Burt Reynolds as Nate Scarborough

Junction Boys was pretty slick, a little hard to watch at times due to graphic nature.

The only redeeming quality in the remake is Burt Reynolds as Nate Scarborough

"Come on Paul, make me manager, I'm better than him"(creepy attempt to touch Crew through cyclone fence). "Caretaker's manager, if only you had asked me sooner....,...."

My top 5 off the top of my head
1. The Longest Yard (Original)
2. The Program
3. Necessary Rougness
4. North Dallas Forty
5. All the Right Moves

One can never go wrong with remember the Titans, blind side and north dallas forty

When I was coaching the kids liked Titans. Love North Dallas. That was like the first real football movie I ever saw. As a kid I used to watch this movie about a QB that died and went to heaven. I think he was like the qb for the rams. I wouldnt call it a football movie but I used to watch it all the time.

all you guys watch "Number One" then get back to the post.
real football drama for grown men - real nfl players and teams, real grit, real situations, with chuck heston swingin back the booze along with the pigskin

all you guys watch "Number One" then get back to the post.
real football drama for grown men - real nfl players and teams, real grit, real situations, with chuck heston swingin back the booze along with the pigskin
I'm putting it on the priority list!.... How could I have forgotten Little Giants in my top 5!?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT