ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk CIF

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
I know we still have the NCS/SJS/CCS Championships yet to be decided. But lets take a look at the CIF Picture and whats coming up after Sunday.

I am going to be as much work as I can, maybe people can fill in the blanks for me. And this is only the Norcal Side...God Help me if I did a Socal Side

OPEN DIVISION: I know previous years they only took 5-6....This Year they need 8
Locks - Campo, Clovis-West, Mitty (Assuming they beat Riordan)
Should be In - Dougherty Valley/CVC Winner, Riordan, De La Salle, Sheldon/MC Winner gets final Spot 8.

D1: Going to be absolutely loaded this year
Locks - Dougherty Valley/CVC loser, Folsom, Northgate, Miramonte, Sheldon/MC winner, Inderkum, Folsom San Ramon, Valley/Salesian Winner, Valley Christian, Serra, Moreau Catholic, Bishop O'Dowd, San Joaquin Memorial, Clovis North
Should Be in - Grant, Elk Grove, SI, Serra, San Ramon Valley/Salesian Loser, Everett Alvarez
On the Chopping Block - Ponderosa

D2: Some Teams Are Going to Move Up
Locks: Branson, Benica, Menlo-Atherton, Bellarmine, St. Francis
Should be In: Granite Bay, University/Marin Catholic Winner, Winner of D2 CCS (Leland, Christopher, Branham, or Lynbrook), Mountain View, Carlmont, St. Patrick/St. Vincent

D3: Should be some good competition
Locks: Archie Williams, Central Catholic, Vanden, University/Marin Catholic Loser, Loser of D2 CCS (Leland, Christopher, Branham, or Lynbrook)
Should be in: Whitney, Elk Grove, Aptos, Santa Cruz, Burlingame, Ann Sobrato, Liberty Ranch, Piedmont

I know we still have the NCS/SJS/CCS Championships yet to be decided. But lets take a look at the CIF Picture and whats coming up after Sunday.

I am going to be as much work as I can, maybe people can fill in the blanks for me. And this is only the Norcal Side...God Help me if I did a Socal Side

OPEN DIVISION: I know previous years they only took 5-6....This Year they need 8
Should be In - Dougherty Valley/CVC Winner, Riordan, De La Salle, Sheldon/MC Winner gets final Spot 8.

Locks - Dougherty Valley/CVC loser, Folsom, Northgate, Miramonte, Sheldon/MC winner, Inderkum, Folsom San Ramon, Valley/Salesian Winner, Valley Christian, Serra, Moreau Catholic, Bishop O'Dowd, San Joaquin Memorial, Clovis North
Should Be in - Grant, Elk Grove, SI, Serra, San Ramon Valley/Salesian Loser, Everett Alvarez

Should be In: Granite Bay, University/Marin Catholic Winner, Winner of D2 CCS (Leland, Christopher, Branham, or Lynbrook), Mountain View, Carlmont, St. Patrick/St. Vincent

Locks: Archie Williams, Central Catholic, Vanden, University/Marin Catholic Loser, Loser of D2 CCS (Leland, Christopher, Branham, or Lynbrook)
Should be in: Whitney, Elk Grove, Aptos, Santa Cruz, Burlingame, Ann Sobrato, Liberty Ranch, Piedmont
First, you’ve only got 7 for the Open and you said they have to have 8. Also, why would Dougherty or CVC vault over Miramonte & Northgate to get an Open spot? They were placed in a lower division and both NG & Miramonte won an Open Division game, which is more than DV/CVC have done. I haven’t processed the rest yet, but those jumped out right away.

IMO Ponderosa will be in Division Done. You just can’t lose to a 17 seed. It might be a little different if Saint Mary’s had made a deep run in Sections, but they didn’t.

From my understanding Moreau is out. The loss to #1 Dougherty Valley on Tuesday, coupled with the auto bids being given to all 6 of the open teams means they are out. It sad because they are for sure one of the top 26 teams in the NCS and wont get a chance to go.

From my understanding Moreau is out. The loss to #1 Dougherty Valley on Tuesday, coupled with the auto bids being given to all 6 of the open teams means they are out. It sad because they are for sure one of the top 26 teams in the NCS and wont get a chance to go.
The NCS auto bid will go to the highest seeded team eliminated in D1-D3 in the semi finals. So the At large is going to either O dowd or Piedmont since they are both three seeds. The NCS at large is Bishop O Dowd because of their 2 H2H wins against Piedmont.

Ponderosa doesn't deserve to get in imo. Lincoln ( Stockton) should get that at large berth. Challenging schedule, beat Modesto Christian and won a playoff game.
I'd rather NCS get rid of the open and let the semi losers in D1-D3 get a bid to state playoffs. Weird that D4-D6 get 4 spots each and the typically better teams in D1-D3 semi losers are done

Don't forget the OAL / Oakland Section Champ and Runner Up.

Reactions: observer22

Just curious your reasoning on how Elk Grove should be in D1 and D3 But not D2.
Also there have been 16 teams in Open Final SJS has had 10 of those spots with Sheldon a 5x finalist and 4 in a row. So you think the committee will only choose one SJS team for Open . Interesting.
Also does anyone know if they are using criteria to get to Open.
There have been 8 Opens and only 21 teams have made it. Your list involves 5 teams to have never made it. Riordan, Clovis West(still has to beat SJM) ,Campo, CVC , and DV

Ponderosa doesn't deserve to get in imo. Lincoln ( Stockton) should get that at large berth. Challenging schedule, beat Modesto Christian and won a playoff game.
I'd rather NCS get rid of the open and let the semi losers in D1-D3 get a bid to state playoffs. Weird that D4-D6 get 4 spots each and the typically better teams in D1-D3 semi losers are done
I think they are done. Lincoln clearly deserves it. 1pt loss to Sheldon as well who is playing for champ.

For Open - less is more - I would be very selective here and only take 4-5 teams. Campolindo, Clovis West, Sheldon, Modesto Christian. If Mitty wins the CCS impressively then maybe put them in w/ a bye for Campo but I prefer straight multiples of 4 brackets.

For Open - less is more - I would be very selective here and only take 4-5 teams. Campolindo, Clovis West, Sheldon, Modesto Christian. If Mitty wins the CCS impressively then maybe put them in w/ a bye for Campo but I prefer straight multiples of 4 brackets.
Whoa.. Mitty is 23-4 with one loss to #2 ranked team in Arizona and a loss by 8 to #4 ranked team in nation. (Gorman) they are an absolute lock for open .

Do we know whether Clovis West would be placed in north regional or south?

It seems to change from year to year with the Central teams.

How you figure Sheldon and MC would be locks but Mitty wouldn’t ? That’s an odd take

Reactions: larry legend33
I don't think they will pull Inderkum up with their loss and prior history. They rarely take a team like Inderkum (historic year for program) if they have an excuse not to.

For me, I think they take the two NCS Open finalists (Campo/DLS), two SJS finalists (MC and Sheldon), two CCS finalists (Mitty and Riordan) and then maybe move up Clovis West

Central section teams are at the mercy of the state based partially on geography and competitive equity. They can get sent to north or south it is a caveat of the section agreement.

South has more than enough teams to fill their open with SS LACS and SDS teams to fill. If CW went south it would be shocking, I see them as a norcal 2-3 maybe 4 depending on if they win their section or not.

Clovis West has historically played in southern section during playoffs. I remember when they played DLS for state D1 champ before the open was around. I think they upset Long Beach poly that year.
I would like to see them in norcal though. Makes more sense this year. They are 29-1 but they don’t have nearly the schedule some of these teams have. Sheldon has common opponent in pleasant valley and Sheldon took care of them rather easily and it was only CV loss. I would assume CV gets pulled into open if they win against st Joe’s.

also, did Inderkum lose the 6”8 Whitney transfer? If so that is a huge loss. Not a great offensive player but he impacts a lot on defensive end. Indy is a d1 team for sure.

Clovis West has historically played in southern section during playoffs. I remember when they played DLS for state D1 champ before the open was around. I think they upset Long Beach poly that year.
I would like to see them in norcal though. Makes more sense this year. They are 29-1 but they don’t have nearly the schedule some of these teams have. Sheldon has common opponent in pleasant valley and Sheldon took care of them rather easily and it was only CV loss. I would assume CV gets pulled into open if they win against st Joe’s.

also, did Inderkum lose the 6”8 Whitney transfer? If so that is a huge loss. Not a great offensive player but he impacts a lot on defensive end. Indy is a d1 team for sure.
Yeah Clovis west always went south before they changed the southern section rule and realigned the boundaries for southern section when most of the teams from the central coast migrated into the central section 3 years ago. They will go north because socal has all they need for open already. Sheldons placement and seeding will be interesting based on what happens tomorrow night.

Reactions: larry legend33

2000 they beat mater dei but that was vacated because of charley rodriguez being 22 years old.
2006 they beat los alamitos

Valley Christion D1?
Shouldn't Bellarmine be D! based on enrollment?

This take won’t age particularly well…

Whoa.. Mitty is 23-4 with one loss to #2 ranked team in Arizona and a loss by 8 to #4 ranked team in nation. (Gorman) they are an absolute lock for open .
After watching CCS final. Mitty did not look like an Open team. Riordan dominated. Not sure of the injured Mitty players impact but for my 1st look at them they would be 1 & done in the Open. Like someone else stated, less is more. Campo, DLS, Riordan, SJS winner Locks. Clovis West if they win. Maybe 1 more

LL,

FYI, Brophy lost tonight in 3 OTs to Perry who will play Hamilton for the 6A title.

After watching CCS final. Mitty did not look like an Open team. Riordan dominated. Not sure of the injured Mitty players impact but for my 1st look at them they would be 1 & done in the Open. Like someone else stated, less is more. Campo, DLS, Riordan, SJS winner Locks. Clovis West if they win. Maybe 1 more
Mitty is a very good team that played an uncharacteristic stinker tonight. Cabebe’s injury really hurt. They’ve pulled out a lot of tight games and should probably have one or two more losses, but they’re a damn good team. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if they still made Open.

LL,

FYI, Brophy lost tonight in 3 OTs to Perry who will play Hamilton for the 6A title.
I watched brophy spank Mitty by 20 at Jesuit in father Berry tourney. Damn good team. Sounds like Mitty laid an egg against Riordan.

MC vs Sheldon tnite. Should be another war. Can’t wait to be watch this one and the girls game before.

I watched brophy spank Mitty by 20 at Jesuit in father Berry tourney. Damn good team. Sounds like Mitty laid an egg against Riordan.

MC vs Sheldon tnite. Should be another war. Can’t wait to be watch this one and the girls game before.
Credit Riordan for that egg laid by Mitty. They improved each game this year against the Monarchs and have come together at the perfect time. Coach Curtin and his staff have done a great job with this team after losing 4 starters from last year incl Mor and Zion going to PP. Looking forward to the NorCal brackets tomorrow! SHP, Mitty and Riordan should represent the CCS well.

Open thoughts
1. Campo
2. Clovis West (assume they win tnite)
3. Modesto Christian. (If they win ) otherwise Riordan
4. Sheldon if they win
5. Mitty
6. .DLS

Not sure after this.

Credit Riordan for that egg laid by Mitty. They improved each game this year against the Monarchs and have come together at the perfect time. Coach Curtin and his staff have done a great job with this team after losing 4 starters from last year incl Mor and Zion going to PP. Looking forward to the NorCal brackets tomorrow! SHP, Mitty and Riordan should represent the CCS well.
Heck of a job getting better by Riordan this season. I ranked them Top 10 in the preseason then watched them at the NorCal Tip Off and thought I really missed the mark. But they steadily got better and better. @superle mentioned it on another post, but this is a really good three year run for Riordan with each roster having some key changes

Open thoughts
1. Campo
2. Clovis West (assume they win tnite)
3. Modesto Christian. (If they win ) otherwise Riordan
4. Sheldon if they win
5. Mitty
6. .DLS

Not sure after this.
I could see those seven teams with Campolindo getting the bye as the clear No. 1. Fills like a natural break

For the Open

1. Campo - No Brainer
2. Clovis West - Will beat St. Josephs (A Socal School)...strange but whatever.
3. Sheldon/Modesto Christian Winner
4. Riordan
5. De La Salle
6. Mitty
7. Sheldon/Modesto Christian Loser

Now the 8 spot is interesting. Could go to a couple of teams but probably will be a Bye for Campo. Here are the teams I would consider:

1) Dougerty Valley/CVC Winner......Both these teams could slot in as the 8 seed. In a way would be a punishment for winning D1, but if I were coach Id want the challenge.

2) University IF they beat Marin Catholic by double-digits....Probably going to end up in D3 or D2...but they deserve consideration for an open birth. All those losses were without their best player, Joey Kennedy. Since he's come back from injury they haven't lost.

3) Miramonte....Yes they lost in the NCS Open and Yes they play in Campo's conference....but they have had a heck of a season and went 2-1 in Open Play with only loss to DLS by 2. Maybe they get the last seed in the CIF Open

One team no one has mentioned is Pleasant Valley of Chico, I think will be D1. Handed Clovis West their only loss. 26-3, three losses to Granada, Durango(NV) and Sheldon. D1 is going to be extremely fun and competitive to watch. Congrats all the teams who made it!

Reactions: ESPN Ken

An At-Large from the SJS will be taken into Norcal. That at Large will be the highest seed that was eliminated in the Quarterfinals. By that virtue that would eliminate Ponderosa. For Div 1, I believe that would be Lincoln of Stockton receiving that bid. For Division 2, I could be wrong but it could be #5 Oakmont? For Division 3, I believe El Camino would go

That is the way it used to be. I don't know if anything has changed this year, A lot is determined on how many SJS teams go to the Open and the State's desire to have each division have at least 16 teams move forward. When in doubt, follow the money

In Miramonte’s last 7 games, they’ve beaten CVC, Northgate twice, and Granada (who beat PV), losing to DLS by 2 when they were ahead the entire game and by 5 to the top Open seed Campo.

I just can’t see how CVC or Dougherty from D1 would leapfrog them into an Open slot, or even the top D1 seed if they don’t make the Open.

Also, don’t forget that both CVC and DV finished in 4th place in their respective leagues. No way either should be in the NorCal Open.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415
One team no one has mentioned is Pleasant Valley of Chico, I think will be D1. Handed Clovis West their only loss. 26-3, three losses to Granada, Durango(NV) and Sheldon. D1 is going to be extremely fun and competitive to watch. Congrats all the teams who made it!
PV is really good but had a very poor showing against Sheldon. I watched that game in person and I thought they could hang but it was clear they weren’t able to handle the speed from the start. With that said I wouldn’t be surprised if they go very far in d1 or d2. And really that is where they belong.
I don’t see CVC, DV, Northgate, or Miramonte in the open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT