ADVERTISEMENT

Lynbrook on the slab

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Congratulations to Lynbrook. They have been provided the No.8 seed in the CCS Open Division and their reward is a meeting with No.1 Mitty. Lynbrook got the short straw as the sole public school to be jammed into the Open to fill out the bracket for what will no doubt be a mercy killing courtesy of the Monarchs and their regional all-star team. Nice.

Please correct me if this is wrong, but doesn't this guarantee Lynbrook a trip to Norcals? If so, not a horrible deal for them.

Please correct me if this is wrong, but doesn't this guarantee Lynbrook a trip to Norcals? If so, not a horrible deal for them.

Sure. But they would be the No.1 seed in Division II (favored to win a section title) and then proceed to NorCals as well. Instead, they can look forward to being obliterated by a WCAL program that draws players from the entire region. The Monarchs are the exact opposite of Lynbrook, essentially a neighborhood team with strict enrollment limitations. And then there is the consolation round. Spare us.

Sure. But they would be the No.1 seed in Division II (favored to win a section title) and then proceed to NorCals as well. Instead, they can look forward to being obliterated by a WCAL program that draws players from the entire region. The Monarchs are the exact opposite of Lynbrook, essentially a neighborhood team with strict enrollment limitations. And then there is the consolation round. Spare us.

Lynbrook is not a neighborhood team as they just got 2 transfers from WIlcox HS this season and both of them are starters. They are mainly a neighborhood team though and a public school team that earned a spot in CCS Open and auto to Norcal. They should be proud of that accomplishment.

Reactions: TheHillZ
the ball still round and both teams gotta score it...
even the greatest team ever the golden state 73 win warriors with 6 hall of famers lost. go lynbrook!

It should be an interesting match up. Mitty will win for sure, but Lynbrook will give em a look/style of play they haven't played all season and might surprise them early in the game. A small, extremely quick guard/shooting lineup.

It should be an interesting match up. Mitty will win for sure, but Lynbrook will give em a look/style of play they haven't played all season and might surprise them early in the game. A small, extremely quick guard/shooting lineup.
Lynbrook if they hit their first 5 shots will be in the game for about 4-5 minutes, but It will quickly go south. Mitty is too big, too strong, a well oiled machine. Lynbrook cannot block out all those six footers for long.
Goodluck and congrats to Lynbrook

Like was said before, why can't we celebrate this accomplishment. I'm sure Lynbrook is. Here is a team that missed out on NorCals last year because of the Open Div. All CCS finalists used to make it, but now only the division champions. So now instead of falling victim to the Open division, they are embraced and rewarded for their play all season long and guaranteed a NorCal birth.. plus D2 champion is far from a guarantee with Pres and SF in the way...

Lets not forget that in '13-'14 Lynbrook also made the Open Div. They lost to SF in the first round, only to meet them again the NorCal Championship. Lynbrook playing in a NorCal championship game at Arco... think of what that probably meant for the school. So now they may get waxed.. maybe even twice. But then they get a nice seed in D3 and get to make another run to be proud of.

I say lets celebrate their accomplishment of crashing into the party with the big dogs

Reactions: WhistlersMother
Lynbrook deserves a boatload of credit for this accomplishment win or lose. They are in CCS Open playing a private school that has the advantages of no school zones so they have access to players from all over. They beat SHP who gave Valley Christian SJ a tough time and they also beat Presentation. Plus some strong wins over Los Gatos and Palo Alto HS as well. They earned this sport. Hats off to them.

What division in State do you think they will be in?

Reactions: OpenRun
a loss isn’t a
Wbal second place team ( tied with SHP) Beats wcal second place team of wcal ( Valley christian
Lynbrook deserves a boatload of credit for this accomplishment win or lose. They are in CCS Open playing a private school that has the advantages of no school zones so they have access to players from all over. They beat SHP who gave Valley Christian SJ a tough time and they also beat Presentation. Plus some strong wins over Los Gatos and Palo Alto HS as well. They earned this sport. Hats off to them.

What division in State do you think they will be in?
if you want to celebrate. Cheer presentation and woodside priory’s lobbying skills. Lynbrook strength of schedule is 10.5. Presentation is 18.2 and Woodside 14.7. If lynbrook was in either of these leagues they would win a few games max. This is an accomplishment alright. By the more qualified schools that’s worked their way out of the open Is duke going to be seeded behind Nc state in the tourney ? Nuff said

One of the issues we don't think about is the ordered list CCS has to send to NorCals -- which will, for the most part, be followed.

So does that mean Lynbrook will be eighth on the list, ahead of the CCS D-1 and D-2 winners. If so, then Lynbrook could be placed in a higher NorCal Division than those champs -- or have a higher seed if they're in the same division.

Of course, CCS could decide -- and NCS could as well -- that the D-1 champ goes ahead of the Open first-round losers on the ordered list, even though by placing a team in the Open, the section has decided the Open team is better. Conceivably, though, a first-round loss changes that perception.

Last year menlo went from number 5 seed in CCS Open to Division 3 NorCal and danced its way to a title. I do not see a reason that Lynbrook should be placed any higher than D3. Hell even a high D4 seed would probably be appropriate.

So does that mean Lynbrook will be eighth on the list, ahead of the CCS D-1 and D-2 winners. If so, then Lynbrook could be placed in a higher NorCal Division than those champs -- or have a higher seed if they're in the same division.

Of course #8 in CCS open should be seeded higher than the CCS D1 champion. There's no doubt about this.

I am n
Last year menlo went from number 5 seed in CCS Open to Division 3 NorCal and danced its way to a title. I do not see a reason that Lynbrook should be placed any higher than D3. Hell even a high D4 seed would probably be appropriate.

Menlo won D2 not D3 Norcals last year

Reactions: OnBall8
How do they get seeded behind Sacred Heart Prep that they beat?
I agree with AptosHoops. Lynbrook has had a great season. They have a higher Maxpreps ranking and beat SHP head to head. They should have gotten the 7 seed. In this case, this is absolutely huge. Would you rather be playing Mitty with no chance, or playing against a Pinewood team that you actually might match up with size wise. Not sure what the justification is putting SHP ahead of Lynbrook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ekko553
I agree with AptosHoops. Lynwood has had a great season. They have a higher Maxpreps ranking and beat SHP head to head. They should have gotten the 7 seed. In this case, this is absolutely huge. Would you rather be playing Mitty with no chance, or playing against a Pinewood team that you actually might match up with size wise. Not sure what the justification is putting SHP ahead of Lynwood.
Brook. Lyn-Brook. Lynwood is from South Central LA. :)

Lets not forget that in '13-'14 Lynbrook also made the Open Div. They lost to SF in the first round, only to meet them again the NorCal Championship. Lynbrook playing in a NorCal championship game at Arco... think of what that probably meant for the school.
That was an awesome season for Lynbrook.. But it was 2012-2013.

That was an awesome season for Lynbrook.. But it was 2012-2013.
you are totally correct. '13-'14 was the year they beat St Francis in the D2 ccs final and then lost in the first round of NorCal.

The years run together the older I get

Does a CCS basketball banner mean anything to public school teens, their families, their friends, their classmates, their schools who operate in the considerable shadows of the WCAL and the WBAL? Ask the folks at Aptos, Aragon and Sequoia in the wake of their CCS titles in 2019. Would they rather have played (and lost badly) in the CCS Open Division? No. No. And no. Lynbrook is a sacrificial lamb in 2020. CCS championship denied by the section poobahs.

Last edited:
Does a CCS basketball banner mean anything to public school teens, their families, their friends, their classmates, their schools who operate in the considerable shadows of the WCAL and the WBAL? Ask the folks at Aptos, Aragon and Sequoia in the wake of their CCS titles in 2019. Would they rather have played (and lost badly) in the CCS Open Division? No. No. And no. Lynbrook is a sacrificial lamb in 2020. CCS championship denied by the section poobahs.
Aren't these the same Poobah's who wanted an Open division in the first place to keep the WCAL teams out of all the other divisions?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong.. that really may be how they may feel about it. But are you going to say that to those kids if you are their coach? Or would you tell them to be proud because that is the ccs committee rewarding you for how you played this season?

As a player you are just hoping to be playing on the last day possible.. to be playing when other teams are already playing their spring sports.. the committee guaranteed them at least a week longer season than all of their south bay public school peers (assuming there are no major upsets). If they are in D2 and slip up before the final their season is done. If I'm on that team I'm not feeling sorry myself right now. Maybe I'm just a glass half full guy...

An easy change would be for CCS to allow the Open to be less than eight teams.
Is it really that easy though?

Then Lynbrook gets thrown back into D2 so they don't get blown out by AM (which isn't the case yet)... but now they are with Pres and SF.. they could easily lose to either in the semi's.. then they are still SOL and their season is done and people are complaining that the CCS left not 1 but 2 WCAL private schools to compete with their unfair advantages against the publics who had much better seasons (in relation to their peers). I think the committee did the right thing this year.

I'm not sure I understand your point. If I were player or parent there, I'd want to be #8 in the open division and then go to Norcal, no question.

An easy change would be for CCS to allow the Open to be less than eight teams.

I don't agree with that. If they do that they might as well not have a CCS OPEN and just give it to the WCAL champ or have one tournament with the WCAL and BCAL and call that the CCS OPEN. 4 teams from the WCAL are going anyway.

They need to adopt the college system and just take a certain number of teams and have one tournament. Everybody else plays a secondary tournament "NIT". Winner of the conference gets in everyone else is an at large bid.

Reactions: straightline50
Final: Mitty 92, Lynbrook 35. Nothing more need be said.
I was there and Lynbrook is a lot better than that score shows. They did some really nice things against the AM press and they have some really crafty players and shooters. It was simply a mismatch in physical size and athletic ability. Once AM stopped pressing, it became a lot harder for Lynbrook to score. They will be tough match up moving forward including for VC in the consolation side. VC has the inside presence with Butler who will be hard for the Vikings to deal with, but I'll take those Lynbrook guards over valley's right now.

So with this, how far can they be dropped in NorCal? D2? Possibly D3?

I was there and Lynbrook is a lot better than that score shows. They did some really nice things against the AM press and they have some really crafty players and shooters. It was simply a mismatch in physical size and athletic ability. Once AM stopped pressing, it became a lot harder for Lynbrook to score. They will be tough match up moving forward including for VC in the consolation side. VC has the inside presence with Butler who will be hard for the Vikings to deal with, but I'll take those Lynbrook guards over valley's right now.

So with this, how far can they be dropped in NorCal? D2? Possibly D3?
On ball. They lost by 60. Ccs has to look in mirror. No business being in that game. While at it onball your SHC?

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Very much like a 1 v. 16 game in the NCAA first round. Still think the #16s deserve to be there, and every once in a long while, magic happens.

Changing Open to six teams wouldn't make a difference this year. Earlier this year, Mitty pounded the #3 open seed, Menlo, by 37 points (playing without Hunter Hernandez). Ten days ago, Mitty beat the #4 open seed, SI, by 40. I hope, but doubt, that #2 Pinewood gives them a game, assuming Pinewood makes the final. Mitty is just much much better than everyone else.

If you exclude Mitty, and make the first game Pinewood v. Lynbrook, it's certainly more competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT