ADVERTISEMENT

Lynbrook on the slab

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong.. that really may be how they may feel about it. But are you going to say that to those kids if you are their coach? Or would you tell them to be proud because that is the ccs committee rewarding you for how you played this season?

As a player you are just hoping to be playing on the last day possible.. to be playing when other teams are already playing their spring sports.. the committee guaranteed them at least a week longer season than all of their south bay public school peers (assuming there are no major upsets). If they are in D2 and slip up before the final their season is done. If I'm on that team I'm not feeling sorry myself right now. Maybe I'm just a glass half full guy...

They get to play Again in consolation bracket. So go win that. No banner but at least a shot at beating the best! And they will get auto qualify in NorCal. If they were D2 or 3 no guarantee unless that get to the final. The whining about being a sacrificial lamb. Maybe that takes away from their great season more than actually losing to Mitty. I’m sure they compete better with Pinewood which I think is a little down this year but my guess is it still would have been a loss. Go beat SHP again in the consolation. Let’s wait and see...

Reactions: basketba11
On ball. They lost by 60. Ccs has to look in mirror. No business being in that game. While at it onball your SHC?

In my part of the basketball play off universe:
SMS 114
Turlock 18,
McClatchy 80
Bear Creek 46,
Antelope 80
Wood 30,
Del Oro 53
Golden Valley 13,
Camden 78
My House 29,
Christian B 72
Woodland 18,

there are more games that perhaps should not be played and more than one section that needs to look in the mirror. Then again when everyone has to make the playoffs.............

They get to play Again in consolation bracket. So go win that. No banner but at least a shot at beating the best! And they will get auto qualify in NorCal. If they were D2 or 3 no guarantee unless that get to the final. The whining about being a sacrificial lamb. Maybe that takes away from their great season more than actually losing to Mitty. I’m sure they compete better with Pinewood which I think is a little down this year but my guess is it still would have been a loss. Go beat SHP again in the consolation. Let’s wait and see...

That's right. No banner. No celebration. No sense of real achievement. Nothing tangible. Consolation bracket. Downer. As for NorCals, that's a crapshoot no matter where they land. Lynbrook got the shaft. No surprise. CCS is always reluctant to make the Open an all-private/parochial affair. Not entirely sure why. But that's been the MO so far.

That's right. No banner. No celebration. No sense of real achievement. Nothing tangible. Consolation bracket. Downer. As for NorCals, that's a crapshoot no matter where they land. Lynbrook got the shaft. No surprise. CCS is always reluctant to make the Open an all-private/parochial affair. Not entirely sure why. But that's been the MO so far.
I don’t see the shaft. You want to be the best play the best. No matter the 8th was (pick any ccs team) they would lose. No other sport has all private playoff in CCS. They play who they tell them to play

I don't agree. The team should celebrate, feel proud, and remember this for a long time. Making CCS Open and going to Norcal is a real achievement. Playing on that stage is something to be celebrated and be proud of. I would if I were a player, parent, or coach, or in that community. THey did not get shafted. I don't know why there's so much discussion about private / public in CCS. Who cares. Just talk about basketball

57 did not cover the spread so does that make it not a blow out?

What was the spread? 57 is a complete blowout no matter how you spin it. Mitty could have dropped over 110 if they really wanted to push the issue. A lot of players at Mitty got minutes. Lynbrook was feisty and still a good team. I wouldn't take their guards over VCs guards as someone else mentioned but Lynbrook is still a good team. I love their energy. They play VC in the consolation game so we will see what happens. I think it will be a competitive game but VC still gets the Win. Lynbrook is having a great season. I think they may end up in D2 in State and if so they could have a good run.

Last edited:
Auto bid to norcals. I'll take that ALL DAY. Validation for the kids that they earned that seed. They played the NCS D1 #1 seed close this year. Solid team.

Reactions: GBBall4L
The NCAA Tournament #1 vs. #16 seed analogy fails to accurately describe the monumental mismatch of Archbishop Mitty vs. Lynbrook. The more apt comparison would be a Division III college winning their conference and then getting pulled up to play U Conn in the 1st round of the NCAA Division I playoffs.

Archbishop Mitty is barely playing high school basketball, as their talent level is so far beyond the typical high school. The conglomeration of athletes in their program is impressive, most of whom would be considered the best players in the history of their local school's programs. They have five girls six feet or taller, I bet the SCVAL De Anza Divsion does not have that many on the total of the seven schools' rosters.

I have lived her a long time, and I have wondered how the local basketball scene has morphed into one school stockpiling dozens of elite basketball players, so much so, they routinely crush the schools in their own highly competitive league by 35-40 points a game.

Yet on NCAA Selection Sunday there are so many players being all giddy despite knowing that they’ll surely be crushed in the first round. Their season will be over but at least they Made the BIG DANCE!

Agree with both sides as we have to embrace “the system” no matter what side we are on for the sake of these players. Lynwood will go on to see another day in NorCals and I for one will be rooting them and all public schools especially if playing against you know what!

Reactions: pantera-cat
One more time: Ask the good people at Aptos, Aragon and Sequoia if they would happily toss away their 2019 CCS lower division championships in favor of being routed and humiliated in the CCS Open Division. All three went on to NorCals anyway.

Of course they would not trade away a CCS banner if they knew for sure that they were going to win one! But if you asked the kids at Sequoia if they would make that trade right now (get crushed by Mitty in open division but going to Norcals for sure), I am sure they would say yes.

Absolutely, positively, clearly, blatantly bald-faced baloney of the first order.

Last edited:
...and your modest Col. apologizes in advance for being something of an overbearing online turd on this tender topic...

One more time: Ask the good people at Aptos, Aragon and Sequoia if they would happily toss away their 2019 CCS lower division championships in favor of being routed and humiliated in the CCS Open Division. All three went on to NorCals anyway.

I'd rather play as the #8 in the open. This is like AAU, do you play with the top dogs in the top division, or win it all in the shitty division.

Reactions: hsfb44

wasn’t there a big uproar a few years back because a top seed public school played for a CCS title, lost and did Not move on to Nor Cal???? If I remember right There was great complaint because it was not fair that their season was over. I don’t even know where to go with this anymore. Just play the games you’re given.

think about what you are saying! Its a banner...great! But those teams would lose in the open. So you think a banner is worth way more than being seeded in the OPEN. But, you play where they tell you to play!

Last edited:
The automatic advancement to Norcals definitely takes some of the sting away from the 57 point loss in the 1st round. Season over would be absolutely brutal. So I see the argument/points on both sides.

Where did the 8 seed in last seasons CCS open get placed in Norcals? It seems to me if they get a favorable placing (like D3) in Norcals the 1st round crushing could turn out to actually work out in their favor. (Looking big picture)

Reactions: OnBall8
The automatic advancement to Norcals definitely takes some of the sting away from the 57 point loss in the 1st round. Season over would be absolutely brutal. So I see the argument/points on both sides.

Where did the 8 seed in last seasons CCS open get placed in Norcals? It seems to me if they get a favorable placing (like D3) in Norcals the 1st round crushing could turn out to actually work out in their favor. (Looking big picture)
For perspective the 8 seed in last years CCS open was Eastside prep. They got a 4 seed in the D2 bracket. Menlo was the 5 seed in the CCS open and got a #1 seed in D2.

I wish CIF/CCS/NCS would give out big banners for Open participation ... that would help a little, and be a tangible acknowledgement of a team's success. The "honor" aspect is pretty hollow ...

One point: As long as section Open participants are seeded higher than section division winners, then there is a definite NorCal advantage to being in the Open. And of course there's no guarantee that the bottom seed in the Open would have won their "natural" division.

It seems to me if they get a favorable placing (like D3) in Norcals the 1st round crushing could turn out to actually work out in their favor. (Looking big picture)

That is if your goal is to face the weakest competition possible. A team that is in their section Open division really has no business playing against D3 teams when the section ranks the teams prior to their NorCal seedings. Winning D1 or D2 (or even making the semis) in the competitive equity era is a far biggest accomplishment than winning D3. I know friends and family don’t necessarily know that, but the players and team do.

Of course they would not trade away a CCS banner if they knew for sure that they were going to win one! But if you asked the kids at Sequoia if they would make that trade right now (get crushed by Mitty in open division but going to Norcals for sure), I am sure they would say yes.

I am sure they would say no most emphatically.

Given that the SoCal D-III champion is going to be a very good team, I would say winning a state title is a very big deal -- not to mention surviving NorCals. People seem to think it's a cakewalk and there's nobody good in the lower divisions, and that is simply wrong. You have to beat good teams to win D-III or D-IV and you have to play well to do that. You can't just show up and win four straight games in NorCals, though in D-IV, the first game or two might not be that tough.

It's hard to win a state title, at any level, in any sport, and it's an accomplishment to be celebrated.

Reactions: OpenRun
some of you can't decide what you want.. in the old system people cried that the private schools were the only ones advancing to NorCals, so here comes the open to save the day... now the CCS rewards a team with an auto birth to NorCals and people are STILL crying.

I would never want some of you to teach or coach my kids (or even be a "supporter of their program), just plain and simple. If the determining factor of success in your mind is whether or not a cloth banner gets hung up in the gym, then you have missed the point. And you have missed it by so much that no change in the system is going to fix that.

Reactions: cptmycpa
Given that the SoCal D-III champion is going to be a very good team, I would say winning a state title is a very big deal -- not to mention surviving NorCals. People seem to think it's a cakewalk and there's nobody good in the lower divisions, and that is simply wrong. You have to beat good teams to win D-III or D-IV and you have to play well to do that. You can't just show up and win four straight games in NorCals, though in D-IV, the first game or two might not be that tough.

It's hard to win a state title, at any level, in any sport, and it's an accomplishment to be celebrated.

When you get to NorCals, it is true that all teams are good. But it is also true that winning the Open is a much greater accomplishment than winning D1, which is a much greater accomplishment than winning D2...

If you are truly a D3 team (not one of the top 40 or so teams in NorCal), than winning D3 is incredible. But if you are say the 20th best team in NorCal, you should strive to compete against similar teams in D1 or D2, and not hope to be placed in D3 or D4, nor should you be thrown to the wolves in the Open.

Winning the Norcal State Division, you are placed in absolutely matters even if it isn't the Open division. How many of us in life are in a career that wasn't the first career you would have dreamed of. Whether it was to be a football player, basketball player, high tech millionaire, or musician, I'm sure most of us aren't doing what we initially wanted to do. Does that mean your current accomplishments are irrelevant? Certainly not. Any accomplishment is relevant. Although winning state at D1, D2, and so on isn't as grand as winning state in the Open Division. It's still a huge accomplishment and I'm sure hanging whatever banner in winning your section or state division means something to those schools. But I agree you want to compete at the commensurate division to your talent and not just blow through D3 if you are a power program.

Reactions: observer22
I agree with Clay there should be some recognition to hang in their gym to those teams that get placed in the Open division in CCS and NCS.

There is no best way to seed norcal. At the end of the season there are only 6 teams standing with a state banner. It isn't easy no matter what division to do. I was happy to see Oakland HS and Oakland Tech get state titles. Yes, they were both misplaced in norcal being very large schools who were both very good competing vs very small schools mostly. But, great for both schools to get a chance to bring pride to their student body for winning a state title.

Presumably a top 20 team in NorCal won't be placed in D-III: Let's say 6 for the Open, 16 for D-I and 16 for D-II. That means the top seed in D-III is the 39th best team in Northern California.

Let's say the committee screws it up. I still can't see how anyone in the top 30 gets to D-III -- and realistically, choosing between 31 and 39 is like choosing between a hamburger and a hot dog. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other. The difference when you get down to those teams is much, much less than the difference between the top two teams, say, and the 9th and 10th.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Presumably a top 20 team in NorCal won't be placed in D-III: Let's say 6 for the Open, 16 for D-I and 16 for D-II. That means the top seed in D-III is the 39th best team in Northern California.

Let's say the committee screws it up. I still can't see how anyone in the top 30 gets to D-III -- and realistically, choosing between 31 and 39 is like choosing between a hamburger and a hot dog. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other. The difference when you get down to those teams is much, much less than the difference between the top two teams, say, and the 9th and 10th.

Were do you think they will place SHC. This might be the most unpredictable seeding out of any of the schools.

Were do you think they will place SHC. This might be the most unpredictable seeding out of any of the schools.

Given they're an "open sectional team" it would be hard for me to imagine them being placed anything lower than d2. Personally, I think they'd do well in D3 and give Norcal a good shot at a chip. Socal has so many quality teams to choose from because of sheer size of the SS.

Reactions: ClayK

What happens when the committee screws it up back2back yrs with THE SAME SCHOOL??

COUGH COUGH....West Campus...COUGH COUGH

Is West Campus eligible for NorCals? I don't know how many slots SJS has, or how they allot them.

Is West Campus eligible for NorCals? I don't know how many slots SJS has, or how they allot them.
No. Not this time. West Campus lost in the quarterfinals--not eligible. The previous post was regarding West Campus winning back-to-back state CIF titles at the same Division III level over the past two years--being critical of the CIF committee letting them stay at D3. At the SJS section level, you need to win three consecutive years at the same division level before being elevated up a division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT